PDA

View Full Version : Finally got sent

17-40
01-20-2009, 19:53
Well they finally sent me to Detroit for work sitting in my hotel roomwishing that there was som place o go diving but the weather is cold the ice is thick andthe only place I know of is closed for awhile (whitestar). I reallymissthe water I haven't been in for over a month I don't care if I dive wetin this weather. Dive budies have either been sick no time to go or the hoidays have just messed everything up for us. I actually drove an hour out of m way last week with the kids down to Denardos in Grove City just to see the ice hoping there was none.

gNats
01-20-2009, 20:44
what a bummer! Yep, everything is frozen. I know that Whitestar will be doing ice diving on Feb 7/8. Gilboa is not far from WhiteStar and they finally froze I believe. Someone reported that there was 70% ice on the weather has only been frigid and snowing since then.

I completely sympathize with you. Luckily, I leave for Bonaire on Saturday and I have a dive trip planned in Feb to MO. I'm already looking ahead on the calendar and thinking that March will be my first dry month since getting certified in September.

It's a scary feeling.... lol.

How long are you in Detroit?

Splitlip
01-20-2009, 20:48
I'll tell you what's scary. Sticks in the water.

(Have a nice trip to Bonaire. No sticks.) :)

gNats
01-20-2009, 20:52
LOL - thanks Splitlip. It is my first scuba trip and of course my first trip to Bonaire. I am very excited.

I don't mind the sticks. But, I will admit, I have a thing about long seaweed.... I've been swimming in inland lakes my whole life and I have no problem with lots of things, but if a tendril of seaweed brushes up against my leg...

well, damn the torpedos if I don't find religion and walk on top of the water (okay - trot) to leave the area.

:smiley20:

Splitlip
01-20-2009, 21:03
LOL - thanks Splitlip. It is my first scuba trip and of course my first trip to Bonaire. I am very excited.

I don't mind the sticks. But, I will admit, I have a thing about long seaweed.... I've been swimming in inland lakes my whole life and I have no problem with lots of things, but if a tendril of seaweed brushes up against my leg...

well, damn the torpedos if I don't find religion and walk on top of the water (okay - trot) to leave the area.

Seaweed is nothing. It is "natural" in the sea. But sticks and branches....

First Ocean dive? Nothing to scare you there. Embrace it and have fun.

I am amazed when I am on charters with nervouse folks from the midwest who have "only dived (dark, cold) quarries and lakes". Only issues they end up having are dropping off into 80 ft of water rather than walking/swimming then boarding the boat after. I enjoy their grins during the SI. (of course since we drift dive, sometimes have to remind them to stay close to the diver pulling the float as most cannot shoot markers)

gNats
01-20-2009, 21:21

I am amazed when I am on charters with nervouse folks from the midwest who have "only dived (dark, cold) quarries and lakes". Only issues they end up having are dropping off into 80 ft of water rather than walking/swimming then boarding the boat after. I enjoy their grins during the SI. (of course since we drift dive, sometimes have to remind them to stay close to the diver pulling the float as most cannot shoot markers)

Yep, it will be my first ocean dive but I have been snorkeling in the Caribe on many occassions. My only concern is bouyancy since I am such a new diver. I don't mind silting a quarry, but I would hate to kill a reef because I bumbled. :smiley19:

bottomdweller
01-20-2009, 21:34

Sticks & Branches are natural too!!:smiley36:
It is the fact there has been a dam built & what is not Natural is the trees, sticks, & branches are still there just as they where before the dam.
Pretty cool to swim through a forest under 80ft of water!!

Splitlip
01-20-2009, 21:43

Yep, it will be my first ocean dive but I have been snorkeling in the Caribe on many occassions. My only concern is bouyancy since I am such a new diver. I don't mind silting a quarry, but I would hate to kill a reef because I bumbled. :smiley19:

Try to do a Buoyancy check first (shore dive?) with the exposure protection you will wear on the boat. You will not need to add as much weight as you think though. The SPG of Sea Water is only 1.025. 1/4 of a percent more than fresh. Not 25% more as some often state on these forums.

You don't want to be underweight either. The worst thing I see is divers who over weight, inflate their BC's and then hang like marionettes with there legs below them like jellyfish tenticles. They clasp their hands very nicely and fin away leaving a path of destruction because they think they are cruising 3ft above the reef.

I am guessing you will do fine however.

gNats
01-20-2009, 22:43

Try to do a Buoyancy check first (shore dive?) with the exposure protection you will wear on the boat. You will not need to add as much weight as you think though. The SPG of Sea Water is only 1.025. 1/4 of a percent more than fresh. Not 25% more as some often state on these forums.

You don't want to be underweight either. The worst thing I see is divers who over weight, inflate their BC's and then hang like marionettes with there legs below them like jellyfish tenticles. They clasp their hands very nicely and fin away leaving a path of destruction because they think they are cruising 3ft above the reef.

I am guessing you will do fine however.

Thanks. I went to a pool last week and did a weight check. This is my first dive in my 5mm wetsuit. Plus, my last series of dives has had drysuit, full hoodies, gloves, the works. And a steel 80.

I'm at 12 lbs in the pool with an AL80. We obviously have to do the checkout dives and I am going to honestly discuss my boyancy concern and spend some time that first morning making sure my weights are dialed in for the end of the tank weight.

cowgirldiver
01-21-2009, 12:40
Remember that in Bonaire, at least at first, you will probably need more weight. Also, you're likely to do some shore dives there too, right? I don't know what your schedule is but you might be able to do a shore dive before you go out on a boat to get your weighting all set. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your trip and be thinking about all you guys while I'm in the Caymans next week!!!:smiley2:

kjvander
01-21-2009, 12:52
and i'll be sitting here jealous in NW Indiana putting up with the snow and cold.....but at least the melting has started a little bit today

BarbadosSlim93
01-21-2009, 21:02
Gnats, I am so jealous that you are getting to go down somewhere warm. The closest I have been able to dream of getting to water is to the pool, and even then I couldn't because of an ear infection. Have fun down there!

PvtStash
01-22-2009, 00:18
Until Whitestar season begins anew! :)

April 1st... , I've already taken that day off work... probably will still be a lil' cold then , but I'll just be happy to get back underwater again...

gNats
01-22-2009, 07:57
Until Whitestar season begins anew! :)

April 1st... , I've already taken that day off work... probably will still be a lil' cold then , but I'll just be happy to get back underwater again...

I have that day marked in my calendar too! I leave for Bonaire Saturday and I am flying to Oronogo in February - plus the scuba show in Chicago.

March is pretty scary right now. I suspect there will still be ice on the quarries. I don't know HOW I am going to get through an entire month without a single dive!

Since getting my OW in September, I have had at least 2 dives a month. I will definitely have to hit a pool in March.

I can't take the day off on the 1st - need to save my vacation days. But, if anyone is interested in hitting Whitestar that first April weekend (hopefully the ICE will be gone, wishful thinking), lemme know!

17-40
01-23-2009, 23:12
Well its the weekend and I had nothing to do but sit in a hotel so I did the rest of the trip north to my sisters in Travers ity and got in late friday night but I think I saw some open water in the bay only problem is I forgot to bring my gear and I didn't bring my dive buddy. Called him on the way in and told him to load the gear and head up he is my dad so he should come see his daughter but he told me that would be just crazy. I told him that that is why he should come.

PvtStash
01-24-2009, 03:51
if anyone is interested in hitting Whitestar that first April weekend (hopefully the ICE will be gone, wishful thinking), lemme know!

I usually dont plan that far ahead, but I dont Think I'm doing anything that weekend... (now watch the wife will be like "what? you cant dive that weekend?, we've got blahblahblah to do!?" .... not that thats Ever happened before :) )

you thinking more Friday the 3rd? or Sat. the 4th?

mornings? afternoonish?

I can be there as early as 9am on Friday... or when it opens at 8am on Sat.