PDA

View Full Version : How many is to many

shockere85
01-21-2009, 14:43
How many dives would be considered to many for buying a used computer?

Black-Gorrilla
01-21-2009, 15:08
What computer is it? computer usually dont have a problem with being dived too many times...
Tell us the model, and number of dives...
I will tell you not to buy a Uwatec bottom time (or any rebranded version) with 500+ dives on it...
and supposedly the Vr3 could need a new sensor with time??

shockere85
01-21-2009, 21:32
I was thinking about getting a hoseless aeris epic or elite wrist.

Black-Gorrilla
01-21-2009, 22:12
look for something with a few hundred dives on it at most... they should last well in to the 1000's... (my LDS instructor has like 1500 on his Ocenic wireless comp.) of course, you will need new batteries with time...

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
01-23-2009, 21:11
Given the same computer, I'd rather buy one with 100 dives on it than one with 10.

Mtrewyn
01-23-2009, 21:35
Given the same computer, I'd rather buy one with 100 dives on it than one with 10.

why is this?

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
01-23-2009, 21:51
Neither has a warranty and the one with 100 dives on it will be cheaper, not because it is worth less, but because the seller has gotten his some value from it and will be less likely to consider his purchase price during negotiations. You will almost always get a better deal, and my assumption is that the computers are the same make, model, and date of manufacture so they have pretty much identical value.

Another thing is that if there were a latent manufacturing problem, it would have most likely have surfaced by dive 100.

Splitlip
01-23-2009, 21:59
I don't know.

I have 4 computers in the house. Never considered buying a used one. One of those things I like to know the history.

I wear 2, My daughter 1. And a backup.

Roughwater
01-24-2009, 00:27

When I bought my new computer, it flooded after about the 15th dive.

If both computers have no warranty, and I *had* to buy used, I'd like to get one that's had about 25+ dives with no records of problems to know that it hasn't got any manufacturing fault. Bit of a peace of mind for me.

RoyN
01-24-2009, 00:28
Neither has a warranty and the one with 100 dives on it will be cheaper, not because it is worth less, but because the seller has gotten his some value from it and will be less likely to consider his purchase price during negotiations. You will almost always get a better deal, and my assumption is that the computers are the same make, model, and date of manufacture so they have pretty much identical value.

Another thing is that if there were a latent manufacturing problem, it would have most likely have surfaced by dive 100.

huh? :smiley5:

navyhmc
01-24-2009, 00:43

I can't disagree with your logic. There are a few other things to consider as well: How many battery changes has the computer had? Did the previous owner change out o-rings as well or just the battery? What's the estimated service life of the computer? It's has 100 dives on it, how many times has it been bumped and hit things? If it wasn't cared for well, it may well be on the verge of failure.

lund0485
01-24-2009, 07:36
All three of my computers were purchase used (nitek duo, diverite bridge II, and veo 100). Never had a problem, I did send the bridge II into diverite to have them overhaul the seals. I would recomend new o rings(cheap) on a more used model.

scubajane
01-24-2009, 18:36
I bought a used Cochran. the memory had been wiped clean. (you can do that with a Cochran by putting the battery in backwards.) I have put about 140 dives on it an the only malfunction I have had is when the battery was too low and it corrupted about 3 minutes of a dive. it did not malfunction underwater it only showed when I hooked it up to my laptop. I also sent it to cochran and they checked it over and declared it in good condition. I know that Larry doesn't like how Cochran does business and does not carry their goods. I needed something with a large display (I have stinko vision) and my Cochran is very easy to read and use.