PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone dove Bennette Spring lately?

Scubafishunt
01-22-2009, 09:03
We have reserved this weekend at Bennette. When I called down there to check visibility I got two different answers. So I wanted to know if anyone has been lately.

billucusdiver
01-23-2009, 18:15
I dove it on Jan 4 vis was pretty bad and there was a heck of a lot of current.

cummings66
01-23-2009, 19:55
I dove it last Sunday and the vis was about 3 to 5 feet, closer to 3 most of the time. Current wasn't too bad at all, good thing because you can't see where you're going until you get there.

It's a dive, warmer than the lakes and that's about all I'd say about it. It's not as good nor even close to as good as it gets. Frankly, right now it sucks. But, I'd still dive there because it's closer than the lake.

cummings66
01-23-2009, 19:57
I dove it on Jan 4 vis was pretty bad and there was a heck of a lot of current.

You should have seen it a couple weeks before that, it was very high. There is a flow rate page on it that has the history.

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 06923500 Bennett Spring at Bennett Springs, MO (http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&format=html&period=7&site_no=06923500)

You can see more than the 7 days I've got there if you so choose. I was there when it was almost 200 cf per second, that was without a doubt the strongest current I've ever seen. Your hands would get tired of holding on to anything, they would hurt it took so much effort. It was a blast though, but not something I'd choose to do again.