PDA

View Full Version : Best palce to wear a knife

Jaymeany
08-20-2007, 14:23
I have a pretty large knife (maybe a foot inside the sheath). What possible places are there to place this baby? Right now I wear it on the inner calf but i was curious what others did.

NitroWill
08-20-2007, 14:33
For that size, the leg might be the best bet..
I have mine attatch to my left shoulder pointing up..
Could also try the waist..but for larger knives - leg is probably the best bet.

cgvmer
08-20-2007, 14:36
I only carry a small knife to cut my harness which hangs on my belt, something that large the leg is the only place..

One question: Why so large?

No Misses
08-20-2007, 14:50
I only carry a small knife to cut my harness which hangs on my belt, something that large the leg is the only place..

One question: Why so large?

It's a genetic thing ;-)

Seriously. I carry a Riffe stilletto for dispatching large fish. It is probably 8" overall. Anything bigger and you have to wonder if it is needed. I see a lot of movie style diving knives for sale in shops. Only Rambo, Jim Bowie, or Crocodile Dundee can pull it off. Get a smaller knife. IMHO

Jaymeany
08-20-2007, 14:56
This is the description:
FK-220
Disassembling capability for easy cleaning and maintenance.
Includes a serrated edge plus a line cutter.
Sheath lock button holes knife securely in place, then releases at a touch.
Easy-to-adjust buckle and strap allow for a comfortable fit.
Efficient 4 7/8" length blade.
10 1/8" overall length.

I just liked the knife and that I could take it apart. I didn't realize how long it was until I put it on. But I still like it.

Xspect
08-20-2007, 21:30
I say put that pig sticker on ebay :smilie39:. Just kidding

chewyjr15
08-20-2007, 21:42
i say wear it where it is the most comfortable weather it be the leg or your BV, but if i had a knife that large id wear it on my inner thigh.

CompuDude
08-20-2007, 21:46
Standard placement for larger knives like that in your inner calf.

I rarely carry my large knife anymore... have rarely used it for anything that could not be done just as well with smaller knives that mount in more convenient places.

ScubaToys Joe
08-20-2007, 22:11
I use the Underwater kinetics Remora knife (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Remora) on my inflator hose!

Joe

finflippers
08-20-2007, 22:14
When I used my large knife I kept it on my inner calf. I went to a small knife that is attached to my HP hose and leave that big knife at home now.

MissDirected
08-20-2007, 23:24
I use my knife all the time. It is my favorite thing next to my camera, I do believe. The only problem I have is keeping it sharpened :) I have recently moved mine from the inner calf to my waist (it hangs off the left side). I had to make my own sheath but it looks pretty good, if I do say so myself. Anyway, I like it there best. It is an easier reach for one.

A thought for you: last year I was out crabbing at a popular fishing spot. I had my head, for the most part up under rocks looking for crabs. At one point I felt something around me - it was line. Not only that but the line was entangled in a net - it was just one big mess. Actually my buddy and I realized at about the same time that this stuff had floated on to us. We unwrapped the line and got ourselves free however, I wonder if it had constricted us enough would I have been able to reach my knife way down my leg?

As for big knives - wear what you would like - as long as it is functional. I have a beautiful knife I've owned for years - I've only had it out for show. One day I plan on attaching it though. It does no good on my shelf - why shouldn't I enjoy it in the water? :smiley2:

MissDirected
08-21-2007, 16:10
:smiley26:I think I killed the thread.

cummings66
08-21-2007, 17:09
You and that big knife of yours. I carry my small one on the waist belt, centered. I'd carry a big one on the inner calf, if I felt a need to do so.

greyzen
08-21-2007, 17:13
:smiley26:I think I killed the thread.
murderess...

:smiley2:

I just got the UK Fusilier
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Fusiler

I like that it wasn't a small katana and has everything I could look for. Now my problem is how/where to fasten it :/

MissDirected
08-21-2007, 17:14
You and that big knife of yours. I carry my small one on the waist belt, centered. I'd carry a big one on the inner calf, if I felt a need to do so.

Yeah I'm not liking the idea of a big knife centered :smiley11: It is not just that I feel the need, I have the need. Hence, why I am always needing my knife sharpened. Those little knives aren't conducive to cutting rope. Nor are they good for digging, etc.

gtjason2000
08-21-2007, 17:29
I like having my knife on my computer console, one less thing to have to put on for a dive. The only bad part is I have to remember to stow it in the checked luggage because I usually carry my regulator and computer on the plane.

wxboy911
08-21-2007, 19:31
My knife is on my BC strap-blunt end. Keep things where you can reach them with either hand and it will work fine. I used to dive with a long knife on the inside of my calf as well-never had to grab it so I started going with just the one.

chewyjr15
08-21-2007, 19:53
i just got a 9inch long titanium double eged with blunt iv been wearing it on my outside calf

rubberduck
08-21-2007, 20:30
OI have a blunt tip on my BC and carry another on my inner calf

Splitlip
08-21-2007, 21:31
i just got a 9inch long titanium double eged with blunt iv been wearing it on my outside calf

If you are wearing it on the calf, you really should wear it on the inside where it is out of the way.

Hollywood703
08-21-2007, 21:50
Lets see, I have one on my left side just below my pockets hanging horizontal off my BC for my right hand to grab....I have one on my Right Shoulder strap for either a left or right hand grab and I carry a modified seatbelt cutter in my poket....BTW, serated blade knifes cut rope more efficiently than a straight blade. you should have atleast 1 knife with atleast a partial serration...

chewyjr15
08-21-2007, 21:51
ok ill try that but won't it rub on my other leg?

MissDirected
08-21-2007, 22:01
ok ill try that but won't it rub on my other leg?

No and you will have less chance of catching on anything.

chewyjr15
08-22-2007, 00:45
ok thanks will do

Hollywood703
08-22-2007, 12:43
<--- will be more than happy to carry missdirected's knife for her :)

terrillja
08-25-2007, 19:49
This is the description:
FK-220
Disassembling capability for easy cleaning and maintenance.
Includes a serrated edge plus a line cutter.
Sheath lock button holes knife securely in place, then releases at a touch.
Easy-to-adjust buckle and strap allow for a comfortable fit.
Efficient 4 7/8" length blade.
10 1/8" overall length.

I just liked the knife and that I could take it apart. I didn't realize how long it was until I put it on. But I still like it.

And if a small whale ever ties to eat you, you'll be set, while I will be eaten alive stabbing at it with my little spinner knives.

Damnam
08-25-2007, 22:54
I don't particularly like large knives for dives. I carry some EMT shears and a small zeagle knife. I was taught to stow knives within reach of your hands as if your arms (from the elbows) were tied to your side. I carry mine on one of my BCD straps.

terrillja
08-25-2007, 23:05
I don't particularly like large knives for dives. I carry some EMT shears and a small zeagle knife. I was taught to stow knives within reach of your hands as if your arms (from the elbows) were tied to your side. I carry mine on one of my BCD straps.

I have a pair of emt shears that hang off the bottom d-ring on my BC, and 2 spinner knives set up to cross-draw on my bc. Gotta love the oceanic attachment grommets that are built in.

tnfireman
08-26-2007, 00:30
I carry my "big knife" on my inner left calf, my small knife goes on the corrugated BC hose, EMT shears in the right pocket.
Ray

Charlotte Smith
08-26-2007, 00:41
I really haven't found any use for my SMALL knife.....I mainly use my scissors that will cut pennies and there is nothing that they arent good for......I have never had a reson to carry a large knife unless I thought I might be getting stalked or something......Just kidding.....I would probably jab myself with a BIG knife so I think they are better off at home.... but thats just me.....

terrillja
08-26-2007, 00:47
I really haven't found any use for my SMALL knife.....I mainly use my scissors that will cut pennies and there is nothing that they arent good for......I have never had a reson to carry a large knife unless I thought I might be getting stalked or something......Just kidding.....I would probably jab myself with a BIG knife so I think they are better off at home.... but thats just me.....

I keep a pair of Oceanic spinner knives because they make cutting mono filament easier, and the serrated edge cuts rope that the shears can't.

BigScubaCat
08-26-2007, 17:02
Carry two. One on your leg and the other mounted somewhere near waist or chest on your BCD. In the event that you get tangled and can't move your leg than you can reach with your arm to your chest or waist area to retrieve your cutting tool. Carry two of everything if you can. Prepare for the worse expect the best! :smiley2:

hicole
01-25-2008, 10:37
For years I strapped my big knife on the inside of my left calf. I have replaced the big one with a small one fastened to the right strap of my BCD. I have not drawn my big knife in over 10 years and decided to retire it. I am adding a pair of shears to have a back up cutter, however.

jeepbrew
01-25-2008, 10:52
I wear a knife on the inside of my left leg and one on my chest (BC).

FYI, titanium is the way to go if you can afford it.

cyclone3565
01-25-2008, 11:08
I attach my folding knife, in pouch, to the strap over my kummerbund. That way it is always there.

UCFKnightDiver
01-25-2008, 11:40
I like having my knife on my computer console, one less thing to have to put on for a dive. The only bad part is I have to remember to stow it in the checked luggage because I usually carry my regulator and computer on the plane.

wow i never thought of this i also have a knife on the back of my aeris atmos 2 I could just see me walking into the security checkpoint there w/ my knife oh goodness

as for titanium knives mentioned above remember you cant really sharpen them because titanium tends to not want to hold an edge

SarahBella
01-25-2008, 11:56
I wear a small knife on my BC strap and was thinking of adding some EMT shears to the rig-Big Knife=Big Trouble in my book...I would be to scared to stab something important.

hoobascooba
01-25-2008, 12:03
i attached my Aquatec T-Rex on inflator hose.

Puffer Fish
01-25-2008, 12:26
Big knife on the inside of my left leg, shears in the pouch on the left side of my BP/W, small knife on the right side of waist belt, line cutter on the left side pouch of BP/W and small BC knife on hose.....did I miss a place????

comet24
01-25-2008, 12:56
I use the Underwater kinetics Remora knife (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Remora) on my inflator hose!

Joe

I use the same knife on my HP hose. Might give this configuration a try as I have a new computer and have to move the knife anyway.

Gombessa
01-25-2008, 13:17
The best place to wear a knife is in a dark alley, especially if you're alone!

wheelman
01-25-2008, 13:42
I have a small knife on my bcd waist strap and a sheers in the pocket.

russp
01-25-2008, 16:58
I just carry a BC Remora as an emergency knife. I tried it first on the right shoulder of my Riptide Zone BC, then on the waist strap. It was to hard to reinsert on the shoulder and I kept snagging it with my guages when it wason the waist strap. I moved it to the high pressure hose about a knife length from the console and am very happy with it there. Easy to find, easy to get in and out.

whse56
01-25-2008, 19:32
Got to go with the majority on this one, a knife like that is best on the calf.

cutter77
01-25-2008, 23:09
Small stainless, worn on BC strap in sheath I designed myself.

b1draper
01-30-2008, 13:46
I have a Dacor knife with a 5 inch blade that I keep in it's sheath on my power inflator (handle down) and I have a pair of EMT shears on my weight belt / bc cumberbun. The shears make quicker work of line and wire, etc than a knife.

Super-Duper Scubasteve
01-30-2008, 14:58
I prefer my knife on the BC strap, or maybe attached to my inflator hose since I can find that quick.

Z-naught
02-29-2008, 05:14
If you can strap a knife to your foreleg, you can also strap one to your forearm. Or anywhere else you please really. I eschew leg mounts due to the interference they cause with kicking, and they always seemed to snag everything. I suggest purchasing a small titanium alloy knife to mount on your belt, or try mounting your divesword somewhere else. Maybe you could sling it like a stage bottle? Hmmm, I should try that myself...

as for titanium knives mentioned above remember you cant really sharpen them because titanium tends to not want to hold an edgeUntrue. I own several beta alloy titanium knives and can attest to them being very sharp and retaining their edges very well after years of diving. As for being unable to be sharpened, it should be obvious that if a new titanium dive knife comes sharpened, out-of-the-box, then it can certainly be sharpened again. Bear in mind that if a titanium knife is to be sharpened, a diamond hone will be necessary.

DivingCRNA
02-29-2008, 06:22
I have a pretty large knife (maybe a foot inside the sheath). What possible places are there to place this baby? Right now I wear it on the inner calf but i was curious what others did.

I would NOT zip tie it to your leg. :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

I saw a guy do that once. :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

I cut it off instead of tightening it when his suit compressed and it got loose.:smiley36:

Dark Wolf
02-29-2008, 07:14
:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

jeepbrew
02-29-2008, 08:23
Wear the knife on your BC

cmburch
02-29-2008, 08:54
I have a hose protector I put on the hose near the gauges that I cable tied the knife to.

I do not carry a knife when freediving , but I am thinking about carry one on my weight belt.

I have only used my knife underwater 2 times. Once to de-gill a large fish and once to cut the line on my speargun when the spear got stuck in the rocks after the fish swam in and jammed it.

rye_a
02-29-2008, 09:13
I have a smaller knife that I have mounted to my BC. Than again I'm not trying to compensate for anything other than buoyancy.:smilie39:

doczerothree
02-29-2008, 13:25
for one that large try strapping it to you upper inner thigh. you should be able to reach it there without bending your leg. (Arm length away). BC's better but one that big.....?

johnyringo
02-29-2008, 15:05

Joe

Ditto...
But if conditions dictate, and I DO happen to want/need my larger knife, I wear it on my inner calf.
Wear it with pride dude!!

Hollywood703
03-01-2008, 08:32
I have 1 knife on my Corugate BC Hose, and one on the bottom right of my BC, also have shears in my pocet.

rfb3
03-01-2008, 10:31
Can you strap it to the tank, or is the tank big enough? :)

Charles R
03-01-2008, 12:10
on your waist belt on the left side

ScubaJW
03-02-2008, 21:25
Uh, sell that big knife and get smaller ones! I have one similar to this: DeepSee Squeeze Lock Knife Blunt Tip... I put on my waist webbing on the right side. Easy pull out and put it back.

EuphoriaII
03-06-2008, 13:54

Joe
Thats the same one I use and mounted it in the same place. I can't remember where I bought it though....someplace in Dallas off I-35 E that does alot of online business.....:)