PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic Lumix TZ-5 reviews

blewgrass
01-25-2009, 21:11
Hi there! I would like any info that Scuba-Toyers might have about this camera, its marine housing and the pictures you get from it. I realize that this sort of setup is limited in the manner you can upgrade but with regard to digital photography, it seems that many things are this way ...

Thanks for any info

DevilDiver
01-25-2009, 22:52
Lumix TZ 5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz5/)

$250-350

DMW-MCTZ5
DMW-MCTZ5 - Camera Cases - Shop and Compare at Panasonic (http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Supplies-Accessories/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Camera-Accessories/Camera-Cases/model.DMW-MCTZ5.S_11002_7000000000000005702#tabsection)

$250

The Lumix TZ 5 got decent reviews and is most likely an above average P&S camera. The 28mm-280mm lens is a definite plus. There seems to be concern with the battery life and slow focus in low light but this is not unexpected with most P&S cameras.

If this is your first U/W camera it seems to be a decent place to start. As far as the housing, I am not a big fan of manufacture housings but it should be sufficient for the job.

If you end up purchasing plaese post some photos and a review......

Conclusion - Pros

Very versatile 28-280mm equiv. zoom range
Excellent lens, good edge-to-edge sharpness and little distortion
High quality build, full metal body
Little (if any) color fringing
Good flash performance
White balance fine tune option
Feels fast and responsive in most situations
Quick and reliable focus
Excellent, bright, high-resolution 3.0-inch screen
Superb High Definition movie mode with 1280 x 720 pixel 30fps wide screen option
Optical zoom usable in movie mode
Effective image stabilization system
Ergonomic layout of external controls and buttons
Excellent on-screen menus and control system
Good resolution, generally clean output
Easy - and fun - to use
Conclusion - Cons

Heavy noise reduction at all ISO settings (although less than predecessor)
Smearing of fine detail (caused by NR) even at base ISO
Macro mode less effective than competitors'
Unreliable Auto WB performance under artificial light
Inconvenient location of the flash right next to hand grip
Occasional highlight clipping in high contrast scenes
Continuous shooting slower than predecessor
Focus slow down and occasional hunting in low light
Battery life not brilliant
Sound quality in movie mode not great

blewgrass
01-25-2009, 23:40
Thanks Devil Diver. I did lots of reasearch on point and shoot cameras and according to the "experts", this one came in on top. I always welcome dissent on this however.

The main competitor in my mind was a less expensive Canon SX 110 is. I'm not even sure that this model had a housing, however.

I'll post some pics when I get my first dive complete.

Steve

Lj82
01-28-2009, 00:21
I have a TZ4 which is basically the same as a TZ5 but with lesser megapixels.
I think it works fine, but obviously have quite a few limitations.
One of the biggest problem I have is with the lighting. (I need to highlight though that I have only used the camera for 2 trips.) For really macro stuffs, I try to go as close to the subject as possible. However when you get too close, the light doesn't illuminate the subject. This could cease to be a problem if you intend to get a strobe. I am definitely tempted to get one now.

At the price the TZ5/4 is going for, I would say it is good value for money amd I am happy with my choice so far.

Lj82
01-28-2009, 00:30
Here are some pics I took with my TZ4:
1) Lanscape shot
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_CvuP3zNKvS4/SVG_Y4duJkI/AAAAAAAAAZs/zZw8iPn4ZPQ/s800/P1010163.JPG

2) Trumpet fish (sunburst)
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_CvuP3zNKvS4/SVHCNIsJKJI/AAAAAAAAAeI/uHmqM1-W030/s800/P1010379.JPG

3) Turtle shot (while snorkelling)
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_CvuP3zNKvS4/SVHB6uAtMlI/AAAAAAAAAdY/KB_C6dB_YC8/s800/P1010326.JPG

Lj82
01-28-2009, 00:38
Some macro shots here:

4) Nudi (Notice that the top of the picture is actually brighter whilst the
subject isn't illuminated)
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_CvuP3zNKvS4/SVG_XWhyO8I/AAAAAAAAAZk/QS4dqSB-N7s/s800/P1010141.JPG

5) Dancing shrimps (Top right hand corner is illuminated while the left side
isn't)
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_CvuP3zNKvS4/SVHC-x7Nm1I/AAAAAAAAAfs/aqTmYo_P5Dg/s800/P1010470.JPG

6) Short hand Commensal Shrimp (Same problem as above)
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_CvuP3zNKvS4/SVHEsQVzoyI/AAAAAAAAAjc/CrI1OXQ-AA0/s800/P1010615.JPG

If you aren't picky with you pictures, the TZ5 should do just fine. I have only attempted u/w photography twice, both times with this same camera and maybe I am more responsible for the failings of the camera than the camera itself. Nevertheless, hope my posts can help you a little with your decisions if you haven't already made them.

Reg
01-28-2009, 05:46
Lumix TZ 5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz5/)

$250-350

DMW-MCTZ5
DMW-MCTZ5 - Camera Cases - Shop and Compare at Panasonic (http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Supplies-Accessories/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Camera-Accessories/Camera-Cases/model.DMW-MCTZ5.S_11002_7000000000000005702#tabsection)

$250

The Lumix TZ 5 got decent reviews and is most likely an above average P&S camera. The 28mm-280mm lens is a definite plus. There seems to be concern with the battery life and slow focus in low light but this is not unexpected with most P&S cameras.

If this is your first U/W camera it seems to be a decent place to start. As far as the housing, I am not a big fan of manufacture housings but it should be sufficient for the job.

If you end up purchasing plaese post some photos and a review......

Conclusion - Pros

Very versatile 28-280mm equiv. zoom range
Excellent lens, good edge-to-edge sharpness and little distortion
High quality build, full metal body
Little (if any) color fringing
Good flash performance
White balance fine tune option
Feels fast and responsive in most situations
Quick and reliable focus
Excellent, bright, high-resolution 3.0-inch screen
Superb High Definition movie mode with 1280 x 720 pixel 30fps wide screen option
Optical zoom usable in movie mode
Effective image stabilization system
Ergonomic layout of external controls and buttons
Excellent on-screen menus and control system
Good resolution, generally clean output
Easy - and fun - to use
Conclusion - Cons

Heavy noise reduction at all ISO settings (although less than predecessor)
Smearing of fine detail (caused by NR) even at base ISO
Macro mode less effective than competitors'
Unreliable Auto WB performance under artificial light
Inconvenient location of the flash right next to hand grip
Occasional highlight clipping in high contrast scenes
Continuous shooting slower than predecessor
Focus slow down and occasional hunting in low light
Battery life not brilliant
Sound quality in movie mode not great

Thats a nice pro/con review did you reference that information from somewhere?

DevilDiver
01-28-2009, 08:49
Lumix TZ 5

Thats a nice pro/con review did you reference that information from somewhere?

Sure did.... (Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ (http://www.dpreview.com/)) Really great site for research....

CompuDude
01-28-2009, 14:47
Hmm, an awkwardly placed on-board flash with uneven coverage, unreliable macro mode and slow focus speed is a bad combination for a camera with no manual controls. Adding a strobe is going to be tricky since there is no hotshoe or TTL port ... or manual controls. (Few P&S cameras have TTL or hot shoes, but you can compensate if you have manual controls.)

Usually small full-auto cameras like this do really well with macro, at least, since the camera can control it's own flash very well. With this camera, however... :(

I hate it when cameras that seem like they could have great potential really fall short when the details are scrutinized. It has a great lens which, coupled with the right chip behind it (and especially manual controls), could be fantastic. I don't doubt it could be a great above-water camera, either. Unfortunately the main set of circumstances we find ourselves in in scuba (dark, and often close) are the very weaknesses of this camera's guts. Unless your main focus is taking photos while snorkeling in clear water during the day, or you only ever dive in very clear, very bright, very shallow water, so there's no need for a flash.

Lj82
01-28-2009, 21:19
Hmm, an awkwardly placed on-board flash with uneven coverage, unreliable macro mode and slow focus speed is a bad combination for a camera with no manual controls. Adding a strobe is going to be tricky since there is no hotshoe or TTL port ... or manual controls. (Few P&S cameras have TTL or hot shoes, but you can compensate if you have manual controls.)

Usually small full-auto cameras like this do really well with macro, at least, since the camera can control it's own flash very well. With this camera, however... :(

I hate it when cameras that seem like they could have great potential really fall short when the details are scrutinized. It has a great lens which, coupled with the right chip behind it (and especially manual controls), could be fantastic. I don't doubt it could be a great above-water camera, either. Unfortunately the main set of circumstances we find ourselves in in scuba (dark, and often close) are the very weaknesses of this camera's guts. Unless your main focus is taking photos while snorkeling in clear water during the day, or you only ever dive in very clear, very bright, very shallow water, so there's no need for a flash.

I am not too sure what is a 'hotshoe' but there is a slot on the casing that allows an external strobe to be attached, if that is what u mean. I know very little about strobes, but your comments made me very disheartened that a strobe would'nt save my pics. :smiley13:

DevilDiver
01-28-2009, 23:15
You can still use a strobe with the manufactures housing. Basically you have two choices:

Optical Slave-
Optically fired strobes are triggered by an impulse of light from an external source, known as the 'master'. The master source of light may either be the on board flash of the camera, or another external strobe. Optically fired strobes are known as 'slave' strobes. The 'slave signal' is the light impulse from the master strobe that commands the slave strobe to fire.

or

Fiber Optic Cord-
A fiber optic cable from the master to the slave is used to help 'feed' the light from the master to the sensor of the slave. (example below-fiber optic cable attached to front of housing going to the sensor of the strobe)

It is really not tricky, in fact most U/W point & shoot or compact systems will use one of these methods.

A hot shoe is a direct connection on top of the camera designed to send an electronic signal to external flash telling it when and how much to fire. Most (not all) U/W P&S housings will have a cold shoe or shoe (what would be on the OP's housing) that serves as an attachment bracket (example below- cold shoe with adapter to attach strobe) for a strobe or focus light.

(pic is example only-not camera or housing being discussed)
http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/digital/dx1200hd/img/setup_01.jpg

If this is still confusing shoot me a PM.......

blewgrass
01-28-2009, 23:35
Thanks compu dude, and all others. I agree with everything that's being said, having very little knowledge. My understanding would be that if a "hot shoe" can be successfully attached via fiber optic cable, then the shortcomings of this unit can be significantly improved with a quality strobe unit.

There are some manual flash settings, but not a dedicated manual mode. The FZ28 which is the larger, non-compact version of the TZ5 has many more bells and whistles with regard to the manual settings, but no underwater housing, so I bought the TZ5 so I could at least take crummy pics underwater instead of no pictures underwater.

compu dude? whadya think? (I am seeking feedback from the dissenters... :-)

Not a cheap hobby!

betheny
01-29-2009, 00:32
I'm disabled, with a lot of dexterity deficits. This camera works well for me on land, haven't tried it under water. If you're over 40 and can't see all the miniature little icons on the Canon p&s, or if you're accustomed to reading aand can't interpret symbols,, you'll appreciate this camera. It has a large lcd screen, and the stuff found on icons on the Canon camera comes up as a menu on the Lumix screen instead.

If you read the reviews of it, a lot of photog snobs are snooty about it having an excellent Leica lens. They feel Leica is wasted on a p&s. Well, anytime Leica wants to waste a lens on me for < $250, they are welcome to.

It's a sturdy camera. It comes in blue, black and silver, always important. :p I love the big screen, and that there was no software installation on my computer necessary. The battery isn't a common AA like the Canon has, but the charger is the coolest, tinest device. It is about 2" x 2" x 1/2 to 3/4 inch. No cords, plugs directly into the wall. I've had good luck with the battery, it holds a charge well. At the time I bought it, 6 months ago, this Lumix had the largest lcd screen and longest video capability of any p&s available. Unlike the TZ4, you can zoom in and out WHILE you're shooting. I've seen complaints that it is heavy for its size. Come on, if I can hang on to it anyone can. You can add a normal SD card to it for memory, nothing fancy required. I'm shaky, so have to keep a tripod handy. Everybody else's photos seem to turn out just fine. As I recall, this camera has 10x optical zoom. If you grew up when zooming to 110 was the height of poor-people technology, the zoom on it will amaze you.

I'm gonna buy that housing before I go to Isla Mujeras, aren't I? sigh. Oh well, if I wind up in a shelter next winter I'll be able to take picures!

betheny
01-29-2009, 02:03
I'm disabled, with a lot of dexterity deficits. This camera works well for me on land, haven't tried it under water. If you're over 40 and can't see all the miniature little icons on the Canon p&s, or if you're accustomed to reading aand can't interpret symbols,, you'll appreciate this camera. It has a large lcd screen, and the stuff found on icons on the Canon camera comes up as a menu on the Lumix screen instead.

If you read the reviews of it, a lot of photog snobs are snooty about it having an excellent Leica lens. They feel Leica is wasted on a p&s. Well, anytime Leica wants to waste a lens on me for < $250, they are welcome to.

It's a sturdy camera. It comes in blue, black and silver, always important. :p I love the big screen, and that there was no software installation on my computer necessary. The battery isn't a common AA like the Canon has, but the charger is the coolest, tinest device. It is about 2" x 2" x 1/2 to 3/4 inch. No cords, plugs directly into the wall. I've had good luck with the battery, it holds a charge well. At the time I bought it, 6 months ago, this Lumix had the largest lcd screen and longest video capability of any p&s available. Unlike the TZ4, you can zoom in and out WHILE you're shooting. I've seen complaints that it is heavy for its size. Come on, if I can hang on to it anyone can. You can add a normal SD card to it for memory, nothing fancy required. I'm shaky, so have to keep a tripod handy. Everybody else's photos seem to turn out just fine. As I recall, this camera has 10x optical zoom. If you grew up when zooming to 110 was the height of poor-people technology, the zoom on it will amaze you.

I'm gonna buy that housing before I go to Isla Mujeras, aren't I? sigh. Oh well, if I wind up in a shelter next winter I'll be able to take picures!

Reg
01-29-2009, 04:03
Wow, so many new panasonic camera's have been released. I'm looking to replace my Fiji F11 with some Compact Digital that does HD Video.

DevilDiver
01-29-2009, 13:26
[quote=blewgrass;266240] My understanding would be that if a "hot shoe" can be successfully attached via fiber optic cable, then the shortcomings of this unit can be significantly improved with a quality strobe unit.

There is no reason to worry about a Hot Shoe with this camera.... Should be a different discussion.

A strobe will significantly improve your photos.

I would guess that this camera will be fine for U/W photos and most likley great for close up and macro shots (280mm).

A strobe can be sinked with the cameras on board flash by the fiber optic cable (preferred method IMO) or by a strobe using an external slave sensor (not as dependable and could cause issues with lighting and backscatter).

Slave Sensor examples:
http://ikelite.com/strobes/index/af35.jpg (http://ikelite.com/af35/autoflash.html) http://ikelite.com/strobes/index/nonike2.jpg (http://ikelite.com/web_pages/opt10dlx.html)

Fiber Optic cable examples:
http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/digital/dx860g/img/setup_01.jpg
http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/digital/dx860g/img/setup_02.jpg

There are some manual flash settings, but not a dedicated manual mode.

I would say that if you are starting out with U/W photography that full manual controll would not be that important (depending on your photography experience) and some times too much and could be frustrating. Down the road this would be something you would want to consider if you enjoy this and want to move on to the next level ($$$).

IMO- the most important things to work on starting out is:
1) your bouyancy 2) photo composition 3) lighting

Hope this helps!!

Lj82
01-29-2009, 22:45
Thanks Devil Diver!
Your posts are very informative and I (I'm sure the OP as well) appreciate it.

I have been considering adding a strobe to my setup for some time. I would prefer to have it on a tray and arm system, but the tray + arm is obviously going to cost more than simply attaching the strobe to the hot shoe. However I have concerns about the toughness of the hot shoe slot. I am apprehensive in attaching an heavy object onto it as it looks a little flimsy.

With regards to the fibre optic cable option and slave sensor option, are there any discrepancies in performance?

DevilDiver
01-30-2009, 06:49
I have been considering adding a strobe to my setup for some time. I would prefer to have it on a tray and arm system, but the tray + arm is obviously going to cost more than simply attaching the strobe to the hot shoe.

In most cases when you see the strobe connected to the shoe this is for close up or macro photography and would not be t he best option for portrait or wide angle shots. When using a tray & arm set up you have the ability to move the strobe away from the camera lens giving you better lighting options and reducing the chances of backscatter, plus you can still move the strobe head close to the camera for close up & macro work.

In other words- Get the tray & arm set up...

With regards to the fiber optic cable option and slave sensor option, are there any discrepancies in performance?

These systems both work....
IMO- The fiber optic is the better choice, easy and reliable.

blewgrass
01-30-2009, 09:14
A dive store employee told me that the automatic sensor setup divers reported about a 15-25% misfire rate, wheras the fiber optic cable had virtually zero misfires.

I second the thank you to Devil Diver. Your posts are very helpful.

Lj82
01-30-2009, 10:33
many thanks to devil diver!
Your posts are indeed very helpful.

jonnoj
02-27-2009, 17:22
Hi All

Am new to your forum and came across this forum while searching for an UWH for my Pana Lumix TZ5 (akaTZ15).

I shoot fashion, food, events, music concerts, commercial, etc professionally and ALWAYS carry my TZ5 in my gear bag. I have even used many pics from it as keepers for client shoots. Held steady and when not under pressure the results speak for themselves. Best p&s value for money camera around especially with the legendary 25-300mm Leica lens!!!

Panasonic have also just released (in the Asia Pacific) their TZ6 (aka ZS1) DMC-ZS1/DMC-TZ6 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global (http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/zs1_tz6/index.html)

and TZ7(aka ZS3) DMC-ZS3/DMC-TZ7 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global (http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/zs3_tz7/index.html).

For the member wanting HD video, the TZ7 does AVCHD at an impressive 728p!! DP Review (dpreview.com) have just done the launch release but are yet to do a full review. As DD says they are the best digital camera authority.:smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

DD thanks for the info on slaves........what non-Panasonic housing wud you recommend for the TZ5 please.....and where best to buy. Am in Australia.

Cheers

DevilDiver
02-27-2009, 18:20
DD thanks for the info on slaves........what non-Panasonic housing wud you recommend for the TZ5 please.....and where best to buy. Am in Australia.

Cheers

jonnoj-

You will have a chore finding a non-manufacture housing for this camera. Housing manufactures usually do not make housings for Panasonic, as far as I can tell the manufacture housing could be the only option. There are so many cameras released on the market so fast that housing options can be an issue.

The Panasonic housing will work and should do a good job. You should be able to add strobes but the port is a unique shape so you might need to look at a lens mount adapter for wet lenses.

I suggest contacting Panasonic customer service and seeing what info they can provide. Then I would contact a U/W photo store (Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros (http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=index) or UnderwaterPhotography.com - #1 site for underwater photography, underwater cameras, video, and camera housings since 1996. (http://www.underwaterphotography.com/default.aspx)) and ask them for suggestions regarding strobes and lens add ons.

I know this does not help much but it should get you started. Post what you find, it could help others...

Oh, WELCOME to the forum!! :smiley20:

Reg
02-28-2009, 22:48
I'm glad to see some compact digitals are coming out with HD, however i've heard there a lot of tricks and traps that you need to be aware of with HD, for example differences with 720p and 1080...What makes a good HD camera?

jonnoj
03-05-2009, 17:45
[quote=jonnoj;276431]Post what you find, it could help others...

Folks just been browsing DP Review's PMA2009 Sneak Peak and found this interesting pic of integrated divemask cameras ( http://a.img-dpreview.com/articles/pma2009/Sneak_Peek/P3020102.jpg) ....sorry not sure how to directly post pics here with one or two clicks....(hopefully pics don't have to first be posted to third party sites and then urls cut n pasted etc....blah blah :( ?)

CompuDude
03-05-2009, 18:54
[quote=jonnoj;276431]Post what you find, it could help others...

Folks just been browsing DP Review's PMA2009 Sneak Peak and found this interesting pic of integrated divemask cameras ( http://a.img-dpreview.com/articles/pma2009/Sneak_Peek/P3020102.jpg) ....sorry not sure how to directly post pics here with one or two clicks....(hopefully pics don't have to first be posted to third party sites and then urls cut n pasted etc....blah blah :( ?)

Unfortunately, the ones pictured are junk. Fun for kids, but not serious photography.

blewgrass
03-10-2009, 21:32
I just bought the sealife strobe:

SeaLife SL961 Digital Pro Flash reviews and discounts, SeaLife (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SeaLifeSL961)

I bought it based on photographs I saw with this unit. I think this will make the TZ5 work some magic. The TZ5 is a better camera than the two point and shoots by sealife in their entry level on ST's website based on pixels and features of the zoom and macro. It has some dedicated "underwater" settings as well. I'm not exactly sure how I will set up the fiber optic cable yet, but I can get some help from here or Panasonic.

I don't plan on diving for another month or so, but when I do I'll post some shots here.

I don't think my housing has a fiber optic optic socket. Can I still use the cable by attaching it to the area where the the onboard flash is?

thanks

CompuDude
03-11-2009, 00:21
I don't think my housing has a fiber optic optic socket. Can I still use the cable by attaching it to the area where the the onboard flash is?

You should be able to jury-rig something, as long as the housing is clear... you don't say what camera and housing you have. Worst case, I've seen people get the things working by duct taping them over the flash area!

blewgrass
03-11-2009, 02:25
Compudude. I'm the original poster of this article so I have the Panasonic Lumix TZ5 and the Panasonic Marine case.(DMW-MCTZ5)

CompuDude
03-11-2009, 12:12
Compudude. I'm the original poster of this article so I have the Panasonic Lumix TZ5 and the Panasonic Marine case.(DMW-MCTZ5)

Ah, gotcha, sorry. That's what I get for just reading the end of the thread... forgot the earlier bits.

That housing is going to be a little awkward due to the odd positioning of the on-board flash to the right of the left of the lens instead of the usual position to the right, but it's probably still possible to jury rig something. Without seeing the case in person it's hard to say, just by looking at photos. Any way to work a fiber behind that bulky diffusion panel there?

http://images.panasonic.com/static/models/dmw-mctz5.jpg

blewgrass
03-11-2009, 18:50
It's cool! LOL...I do the same thing all the time... and I'm very grateful for the input. I'm a serious nooobie and I pretty much don't know what I'm doing. I feel like I'm spending money like a drunken sailor to get a photo setup. In retrospect I should have gone with one of the packages available from sea and sea or sumthin'. Help from those in the know is much appreciated.

I'll try and take some close up detail shots of the housing. Thanks for your help

Steve

Lj82
03-11-2009, 18:52
On a side note,
I have been thinking of attaching a small led light on the top of my camera to use as a focus light. Is there anything like a hotshoe clip which can secure my light there?

CompuDude
03-11-2009, 19:42
On a side note,
I have been thinking of attaching a small led light on the top of my camera to use as a focus light. Is there anything like a hotshoe clip which can secure my light there?

Not usually, and not that I see with this housing. People generally use a tray and handle, and mount the focus light on the handle. (In the same chain as a strobe.) That would certainly work with this.

Lj82
03-12-2009, 10:46
ah....
I have to task my girlfriend to continue carring my focus light then.. ;)

DevilDiver
03-18-2009, 13:19
On a side note,

There are many available but they can be a little difficult to locate due to what they choose to call them. Best bet to save a bunch of time would be to call a U/W photography store and ask. They should have a couple of options for you.

I got this one from ST as I use the Fisheye focus light witch comes with the light & attachment/holder.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/cameras/pics/SeaandSea/SeaAndSeaHotShoeArm.jpg (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SeaAndSeaHotShoe)
Sea And Sea Hot Shoe (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SeaAndSeaHotShoe)

$62.95

blewgrass
08-09-2009, 23:25
Hi gang,

I'm reviving this thread in hopes of being able to utilize this camera and a strobe in the most effective manner. I purchased the Sea Life SL961 "pro flash" in hopes of getting some good pictures. My first attempts were so so, but I have hope. I was hoping someone here would help with the settings on the camera. It seemed that on the strobe I was either too bright or dark with a "bright spot" in the upper right corner of the picture. One of the problems is the arm on the strobe is too short on the stock setup. I will look for a longer arm or an extension. Second, I don't know the "pre flash" settings on the TZ5 and the manual doesn't seem to indicate the specs. Do these settings translate down to the "red eye" settings?

Any ideas on how to best set the flash on the camera? Should I only adjust the "pre flash" on the strobe (settings 1-4) or the "auto bright" settings on the strobe (1-4) and see what I get?

I think this strobe has plenty of power and the ability to get great pictures, I only need to tweak the settings...

Steve

jugglematt
08-31-2009, 03:27
when i first started shooting underwater i used a compact camera in a housing,
when i got the hang of the settings i addad a external underwater strobe (flash ) Made by INON .

i found a underwater Strobe to be VERY beneficial and improved my photos greatly .

i would consider a good quality strobe (eg Inon D2000 or sea&sea YS110 ) combined with a basic strobe arm package , this strobe would be triggered by a fiber optic cable placed on the outside of your underwater housing .

lots of fun / challenging and rewarding

GO FOR IT
Regards
Matt