PDA

View Full Version : Brand Name reliability

greyzen
08-20-2007, 14:01
So I was hoping for some quick information on 'the best' brands out there.

For example, I'm told Scubapro is 'the stuff' for BCD/Mask/Reg and I wonder what everyone else thinks about the accessories.

Knife:
Lights (primary/secondary/tank):
Tanks:
Suits:

I don't mind saving money... but I don't want to save 5 bucks to replace the crappy gear in a week. Any other stuff you guys could think of helps too!

Jaymeany
08-20-2007, 14:02
I'm full up Tusa and Tilos. And a citizen watch.

creggur
08-20-2007, 14:09
Read my sig for my opinion....I like Oceanic too...

rubberduck
08-20-2007, 14:14
I like Apeks and Atomics

reservecops
08-20-2007, 14:19
In a word: Zeagle.

subsur
08-20-2007, 14:30
Knife: doesn't matter as long as you get the ones made from a high marine steel grade or titanium and have comfortable handle. line cutter is probably better - oms and dive-rite make good ones;
Lights (primary/secondary/tank): oms, diverite, halcyon, greenforce - very expensive though for primary (>600); for secondary ~ $100;
Tanks: worthington and faber for steel, don't know much about aluminum tanks.
Suits: lots of companies - bare, pinnacle, henderson just to name a few

greyzen
08-20-2007, 16:08
Awesome information!

So I keep seeing Zeagle pop-up. As a sales person in my life above the sea, I'm curious on the brand.

It seems they are the heaviest in advertising from my new to the world view... is this just because they own the markets or because they are new to the biz?

I was basically told by a non-LDS DM that
Henderson was great for suits, or pinnacle (depending on fit)
Lights: UK was the best all around
Knife: as long as it was non-corrosive it doesn't really matter
Tanks: no biggy until you get into specialty dives (IE: Cave diving)

In the case of diving and dive shops, are brand names really quality over advertising budget? Or am I selling my safety

ScubaToys Larry
08-20-2007, 16:19
Actually zeagle does very little actual advertising compared to the other guys. They are a US based company that got their reputation for excellent quality and customer service - and kinda became a cult brand.

I've been a fan personally for a long time, and as one of the first big internet stores, we did a lot of promotion of them sine we knew it to be top quality.

Just a very good company that actually cares about the customer.
I would say they are much more "the stuff" than scubapro. Scubapro has the long established name, but I'd take zeagle regs and bc's over theirs.

greyzen
08-20-2007, 16:28
Actually zeagle does very little actual advertising compared to the other guys. They are a US based company that got their reputation for excellent quality and customer service - and kinda became a cult brand.

I've been a fan personally for a long time, and as one of the first big internet stores, we did a lot of promotion of them sine we knew it to be top quality.

Just a very good company that actually cares about the customer.
I would say they are much more "the stuff" than scubapro. Scubapro has the long established name, but I'd take zeagle regs and bc's over theirs.

Good info, thanks!

I'm still trying to plan out my gear purchases so I can keep the outflow of money on the budget (which I'm sure you've heard at least once or twice before :smilie39:). If they are that reliable I might give them another look as they appear to be financially comparable.

I'm using a Knighthawk right now, and frankly I think either it's too small or I'm too tall (6'3"). I've been strapping the tank low to give me more clearance but I've run out of tank and I still have to be careful on my ascent or I bang my head on the reg. :smiley5:
Does Zeagle have a "Stretch" addition :)

Hollywood703
08-22-2007, 11:48
I love oceanic...All of my gear was purchased from them after some Excellent Customer Service I received....I refuse to buy from any manufacturer that has MAP pricing...Atomic...etc.....

mike_s
08-22-2007, 11:58

For example, I'm told Scubapro is 'the stuff' for BCD/Mask/Reg and I wonder what everyone else thinks about the accessories.

I hate to tell you this, but most of the more generic brand masks, etc are made by the same folks that make the "name brand" ones.

They are all made in OEM shops in Tawain. (Like Ocean Divers Supply Tawain).

For example, the same name brand mask made by the "big names" (Oceanic, ScubaPro, Mares, etc) can be found in the lines of ScubaMax and XSScuba, etc. Maybe not every exact mask, but a lot of them.

namabiru
08-22-2007, 12:06
Hmmm... I'm wondering if you can really look at brand-name reliability with scuba gear. I think a lot of reliability comes from how the gear is used and cared for.

Now, maybe 20 years ago, you could get a dodgy reg., or a dodgy BCD, but anymore, there's not exactly a POS as in 'won't work' you can get brand-new from a manufacturer. A lot of how dive gear works well for people is subjective, IMHO.

For instance, I dived a Mares rebel reg., and I did not care for it. So, to me, the Mares Rebel is kind of a POS. It works, but doesn't function well for me. On the other hand, another diver I dived with in Cozumel loves his Mares Rebel.

People also rant and rave about Zeagle Ranger BCDs. Now, they are a good BCD, solid and have lots of life to give. But I've found that after purchasing mine that it may not be the right BCD for me. POS, definitely not. Not the right BCD for me, maybe.

Oceanicdb
08-22-2007, 14:31

I hate to tell you this, but most of the more generic brand masks, etc are made by the same folks that make the "name brand" ones.

They are all made in OEM shops in Tawain. (Like Ocean Divers Supply Tawain).

For example, the same name brand mask made by the "big names" (Oceanic, ScubaPro, Mares, etc) can be found in the lines of ScubaMax and XSScuba, etc. Maybe not every exact mask, but a lot of them.

In some cases this true. Our brands have started moving some of our mask production and fin production to molding houses in Italy. We also have recently begun developing and designing our own masks. We have some in progress right now that are completely unique and will only be manufactured for our brands. Of course OEM shops will knock them off sooner or later.

Darryl

greyzen
08-22-2007, 15:02
See thats interesting, cause I've been told (no offense oceanicdb) that if I want gear I can sell to upgrade (IE: displace the upgrade costs with selling my old gear) to stay away from Oceanic/etc. and to stay with ScubaPro or Zeagle.

I understand that this was the individual opinion and not the overall market view. If you want to know about money, technology, books, I'm your man; but in this new industry of scuba I really am a tadpole on which brands to avoid like the plague and which to trust with my dollar.

Buoyant1
08-22-2007, 15:20
I like Zeagle! I have an Aeris BC that I love (and will only replace it at this point with a Dive Rite Transplate..and I'm not in a huge hurry to do that either)

I have two Akona wetsuits (3mm & 7mm) I don't think you can beat the quality for the price!

I have Worthington cylinders (no complaints)

I use UK lights...good stuff there!

I haven't purchased a knife yet...but will need one for my AOW class....

Hope this helps...but here's a tip...try stuff before you buy it...a lot of places rent different stuff so try something different each time while renting! I think all of the BIG BRAND names are good from a quality standpoint!

mike_s
08-22-2007, 15:25
See thats interesting, cause I've been told (no offense oceanicdb) that if I want gear I can sell to upgrade (IE: displace the upgrade costs with selling my old gear) to stay away from Oceanic/etc. and to stay with ScubaPro or Zeagle.

I

Hate to tell you this about Scubapro, but a lot of their mask, fins, snorkles are made by Tabatha. (Which is the parent company for TUSA).

The whole industry is "in breed"

greyzen
08-22-2007, 15:36
Hate to tell you this about Scubapro, but a lot of their mask, fins, snorkles are made by Tabatha. (Which is the parent company for TUSA).

The whole industry is "in breed"
See thats the kind of information I need :)

What about Zeagle? Are they just so rockstar hard we don't have to worry about who really makes their stuff?

Oceanicdb
08-22-2007, 16:36

I understand that this was the individual opinion and not the overall market view. If you want to know about money, technology, books, I'm your man; but in this new industry of scuba I really am a tadpole on which brands to avoid like the plague and which to trust with my dollar.

No offense taken. Sorry to hear that someone has told you to stay away from our brands and specifically Oceanic. Sure I'm biased but I have used, breathed off of or tried on just about every BC or regulator produced in the last 15-20 years from all the name brands and I would put the Delta 4 regulator from Oceanic or the AT-400 Pro regulator from AERIS up against any of the top of the line regs in the market. I will always say that any name brand and in particular any of the top tier brands ie: Oceanic, Scubapro, Zeagle, Mares, Aqualung and TUSA to name a few are all excellent brands each with great products in their own right. Comes down to features desired, comfort, cost and warranty provided with the purchase. Stick with any of the top tier brands and you really can't go wrong.

Darryl

DArryl