PDA

View Full Version : Just got certified and looking for dive spots

tfriend
01-26-2009, 14:41
Hey my extended family owns a house near the kimberling city bridge. I was wonder if there is any good shallow dive spots. (shallow as in under 60 feet) I know the bridge offers some good spots. I was wondering about any wrecks in shallow water at tablerock. I have been spent many summer weeks in the water there so I know it like the back of my hand. Thanks for the help!

snagel
01-26-2009, 17:46
Checkout our website at Home (http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com) for local diving.

At Table Rock....there are plenty of shallower dives - dewey point by the dam is a good shore dive, duck island has a few wrecks, there is also the saddle, enchanted forest, and another island off indian point (can't remember the name right now), but it has a few wrecks about 40 feet. Then there is the Zebulon Pike also off Indian Point.

PM with your email if your interested. I have about a 15 page word document with alot of sites listed by GPS and maps of several lakes including Table Rock.

S. Nagel

navyhmc
01-26-2009, 21:21
Definitely hit up the muck divers page! A lot of good information. And Welcome to the forum!

skdvr
01-27-2009, 04:58
Duck Island does not have any wrecks that I know of, but maybe I have just never seen them. That is one of my favorite places to dive out there. Plus it is only about a 3 min boat ride from my parents house... The Zeb may be a little deep and murky for a new diver but the cabin cruiser off of Indian Point is a decent dive when there is not a ton of boat traffic, and I think that the boat is in about 50ft of water... My Favorite place to dive so far at TRL is Breezy Point. It is just a cool wall dive, and the vis is normally really good there. Last year it was not all that great, adn I hear that the vis down there right now still is not all that good, but hopefully things will turn over here soon and settle by time the weather gets warmer and you can get in the water... Normally this is the Best time of year to dive it, but some friends went down last weekend and said that the Vis was OK if you were shallow and below about 60 - 70ft it got real nasty...

Keep us posted on this forum when you are going to head down to TRL, there is a decent size group of good people on this board that are down there fairly often....

Phil

snagel
01-27-2009, 05:43
Phil,

You know TR better than I, but we were told there was a wreck between Duck Island and the State Park Shore by the dive shop at the marina. Doesn't mean it's there, we never found it. We looked for it one time, but because of all the traffic we had to start on the far side of the island and attempted to go around the the island to the wreck. We never made it and ended up in the channel.

Snagel

skdvr
01-27-2009, 08:17
Phil,

You know TR better than I, but we were told there was a wreck between Duck Island and the State Park Shore by the dive shop at the marina. Doesn't mean it's there, we never found it. We looked for it one time, but because of all the traffic we had to start on the far side of the island and attempted to go around the the island to the wreck. We never made it and ended up in the channel.

Snagel

Interesting... Sounds like a good enough reason to me to go looking for it... May have to give that a shot the next time I am down there....

Thanks
Phil

tfriend
01-27-2009, 11:19
When is tablerock normally ready to dive with a wetsuit. I have a 5mm on its way now with bood and gloves, im also pretty good with cold water!

Wkndbum
01-27-2009, 17:24
5 mil with a bood....you should be good to go.:smiley20: With any other 5 mil, I'd wait a couple months.

snagel
01-27-2009, 18:57
In a wetsuit, probably around April depending...it can still be a little cold. Now, if you have a drysuit, anytime.

We were at DUI days 2nd weekend of April last year and no diving due to floods, but man was it still cold.

Snagel

bottomdweller
01-27-2009, 21:18
My Brother-in-Law & I are planning to dive Dewey short wet on feb 7th or 8th, A warmup for the Feb 28th DDCN dive at Oronogo.(Not much of a warmup I know!!) we are rocking our new Neosport 7MM Farmer Johns.
I guess it all depends on how tough you are!!!
I will find that out that weekend for myself, may be a drysuit inmy future???

cummings66
01-27-2009, 21:44
There is a wreck by Duck Island. State Park Marina took me there once and if you find a raptor dive knife near the boat it's mine. I can't tell you much more than that, it was a group dive and I was along for the ride.

skdvr
01-28-2009, 06:14
I guess I will have to ask around...

Thanks for the info guys....

Phil

skdvr
01-28-2009, 06:48
My Brother-in-Law & I are planning to dive Dewey short wet on feb 7th or 8th, A warmup for the Feb 28th DDCN dive at Oronogo.(Not much of a warmup I know!!) we are rocking our new Neosport 7MM Farmer Johns.
I guess it all depends on how tough you are!!!
I will find that out that weekend for myself, may be a drysuit inmy future???

Being in the water you will probably be fine for a little while... It will be getting out of the water and out of your wetsuits that will be the hardest part... Let us know how that goes....

Phil

tfriend
01-28-2009, 12:35
haha I meant a Hood....think you probably got the idea though

BillS
01-29-2009, 08:51
Hey my extended family owns a house near the kimberling city bridge. I was wonder if there is any good shallow dive spots. (shallow as in under 60 feet) I know the bridge offers some good spots. I was wondering about any wrecks in shallow water at tablerock. I have been spent many summer weeks in the water there so I know it like the back of my hand. Thanks for the help!
We may be neighbors! I live just north of the bridge near the back of Fisher Ck. Always looking for good dive sites close by. I dove Fisher Ck. last Thursday, vis 10' to 12' with water temp. 43 degrees. A 20 minute dive is about all I can stand right now since I'm diving wet with a 3 mil shorty under a 5 mil full. Not a problem since I can jump in the truck and beat it to the house and a hot shower!

shawnwill36
01-29-2009, 09:52
the first dive might not be to bad but after about 30 minutes or so i bet it will be pretty cold

cummings66
01-29-2009, 11:11
Just be careful diving now with wetsuits, it's easy to get too cold. The hot water trick will help with the first dive, and I've kind of thought it might be useful for a second dive as well. But, I dive a drysuit and so it's not an issue for me. First Winter I dove was the first time I got a drysuit, never looked back.

BillS
01-29-2009, 17:18
20 minutes is long enough for a good chill. One dive a day is all I'm doing. I also realize hypothermia can occur after leaving a cold environment when the cool blood from the extremities return to the core, with normal circulation, cooling it.

I definitely hear the call for a dry suit!

tfriend
02-04-2009, 13:48
We may be neighbors! I live just north of the bridge near the back of Fisher Ck. Always looking for good dive sites close by. I dove Fisher Ck. last Thursday, vis 10' to 12' with water temp. 43 degrees. A 20 minute dive is about all I can stand right now since I'm diving wet with a 3 mil shorty under a 5 mil full. Not a problem since I can jump in the truck and beat it to the house and a hot shower!

Well our house is the next cove past the kimberling city bridge...almost right across from the kimberling inn. Are we close?

billucusdiver
02-06-2009, 18:22
I would be happy to show you a couple of the spots mentioned above. Oh and that wet suit thing. When i first started diving i dove year round my first year in a 7 mill farmer john. One dive a day was about it. After getting into a dry suit it is not so much of an issue. And for the farmer john, well it has been in the closet ever since.

BillS
02-08-2009, 20:52

Well our house is the next cove past the kimberling city bridge...almost right across from the kimberling inn. Are we close?
Yes, very close! The next time you are here we should plan a dive. Hopefully things will warm up soon.

BillS
02-08-2009, 21:09
I would be happy to show you a couple of the spots mentioned above. Oh and that wet suit thing. When i first started diving i dove year round my first year in a 7 mill farmer john. One dive a day was about it. After getting into a dry suit it is not so much of an issue. And for the farmer john, well it has been in the closet ever since.
I can almost taste a new DUI suit. Demo days will be in Branson the end of April and I plan to at least wait until then. Since I'm 6'5'' I often have trouble getting clothes that fit. Not sure if a standard size will do or if I will need to special order. Hopefully I can try on different sizes. In the mean time I'm trying to decide weather to buy the Henderson Thermoprene 7mm Scuba Toys has on sale.

How often does the Billucus go to sea?