PDA

View Full Version : Fiji

Joew
07-11-2007, 13:50
My LDS is planning a trip aboard the Fiji Aggressor next year, and I'm wondering if anyone here has done this trip. I know the diving will be great, but I would like to know what people think of staying on the Aggressor.

ParrotheadDiver
07-26-2007, 13:39
If it is like any other Aggressor it is fantastic you will never want to go home.....just got back from the T&C Aggressor and it did not dissapoint....I also am going to Fiji next year and will be on the Nai'a liveaboard.....

tx.lakerat
07-27-2007, 09:24
Parrothead when are you going to be in Fiji??

ParrotheadDiver
07-28-2007, 17:13
June 21-28th

starfish sandy
08-01-2007, 18:55
We are doing the Fiji Agressor III (Used to be II - the smaller boat) in October!!! We can't wait - did some diving in Fiji in 05 - the colors are amazing!! I did the Bay Islands Aggressor a few years back - the crew was great -

chinacat46
08-02-2007, 17:51
I did the Fiji Aggressor last September and was disapointed with the boat although I really enjoyed the diving. I've been on a lot of Aggressors and this one had lousy food and the air con in my room was broken all week as well. Hopefully they have a new chef and they fixed the Air Con by now. Of all the Aggressors I've been on this one was the worst for me. I've been on the T&C, Palau, Fiji, Kona, Truk(now N. Sulawesi) and Cayman.

Dive Diva
09-22-2007, 09:41
Hubby and I are in our 50's and work in professions where we deal intimately with people all day.

We love diving because of the silence, the distance, the peaceful respite, and we chose to travel on the economy, wanting to be away from Americans, so we can experience the culture.

We love our country and our fellow citizens.

that being said, we love to dive and want to dive as much as possible in a day, ( given SI time) so live aboards seem the most reasonable solution.

What is it like being on board for 7 days with 10 or 12 people?

I have never met a diver I did not like.

I would really appreciate hearing others candid experience before we choose tha live aboard.

We are consdiering a 7 day live aboard in Fiji and then 7 days on the islands.

Your experience is valuable, thanks
Dive Diva and EagleRay

Dive Diva
09-22-2007, 09:42
Hubby and I are in our 50's and work in professions where we deal intimately with people all day.

We love diving because of the silence, the distance, the peaceful respite, and we chose to travel on the economy, wanting to be away from Americans, so we can experience the culture.

We love our country and our fellow citizens.

that being said, we love to dive and want to dive as much as possible in a day, ( given SI time) so live aboards seem the most reasonable solution.

What is it like being on board for 7 days with 10 or 12 people?

I have never met a diver I did not like.

I would really appreciate hearing others candid experience before we choose tha live aboard.

We are consdiering a 7 day live aboard in Fiji and then 7 days on the islands.

Your experience is valuable, thanks
Dive Diva and EagleRay

chinacat46
09-22-2007, 10:03
You will love being on liveaboard. Eat, sleep and dive! I've been on 18 liveaboards(soon to be 21) and you do occasionally run into an a**hole. I was on one in Tobago where everybody including the crew wanted to throw this lady overboard. She was a nightmare above and below the water. Since then I've mentioned her name on a few liveaboards and she has a reputation to say the least. One DM said he checks the manifest if her name is on it he gets violently sick and can't go on the trip that week. This is a rare example but if you are on the same boat as her you won't forget her and I don't mean that in a good way. I'm surprised she hasn't been banned from the Aggressor and Peter Hughes but I guess they like her money and the fact she travels/dives a lot to refuse her service. I don't want to post her name here but if you really want to know send me a PM. Then you can ask if she is going on your boat. Although they might not tell you or she may book after you do.

thesmoothdome
09-22-2007, 11:50
The nice part of a luxury liveaboard like the Dancer fleet or Agressor fleet is that the amenities allow a bit of seperation between divers if you find that someone truly annoys you. Individual cabins and an open layout mean that you really don't have to be around people that you choose not to be. Meal times might be the only time you have to be in the same area with them and even then, with 15-20 divers on board, you can usually seperate yourself from them even then.

In all honesty, I'm not the most outgoing guy, but the one thing I regretted after my first liveaboard trip last year was not getting to know everyone. Almost everyone on board had interesting backgrounds and dive experienes. Some were cavers, some had extensive travel histories and almost all were just great people.

Enjoy your time on board. After you do it, land based diving will never be the same.

Desert_Diver
09-22-2007, 12:04
Dive Diva-

I have only done two liveaboards, both of them Nekton boats. I did NW Bahamas on the Pilot and the Caymans in the Rorqual. I loved both trips and will eventually do another. The Nekton boats are not quite as "5 star" as the Aggressor or Hughs fleets, but I think the prices reflect the difference also. The food was good, the diving was great, and the crew and passengers were first class. The Nekton boats are of the "SWATH" design which makes them somewhat more stable than the more conventinal designs. But they aren't very fast. Go to the web site www.nektoncruises.com (http://www.nektoncruises.com) for an explanation of what SWATH means.

I have never had any problems with other guests on the boats, although my daughter does accuse be of being a hermit (not true) and socially retarded (possible element of truth here).

Just to give you a basis to evaluate my opinions, my priorities on the trip are:

1. diving
2. food
3. accomodations
4. social activities

I have loved my liveaboard experences and recommend them highly.

Art

PS I just noticed that you mentioned Fiji liveaboards specifically. Nekton, to my knowledge, does NOT do Fiji. Sorry.