PDA

View Full Version : Preparing daughter for OW course

cgvmer
08-20-2007, 14:55
My daughter turns 10 in November, the first week of August she did a SNUBA run and has told me she wants a dive class for her birthday present.

She already is a good swimmer as she has been competing on a swim team since age 6.

I just ran across my son's PADI dvd, and dropped it in the dvd player for her to watch.

Any other suggestions?

chewyjr15
08-20-2007, 15:05
maybe let her breath through your reg while in a shallow pool, and maybe some snorkeling to make sure she is ready and wants to learn?

cgvmer
08-20-2007, 15:10
Actually, she has been snorkeling for a couple years. She did SNUBA which had her swimming in 20ft of water with a regulator, she dove without issue and stayed under the whole time, and when I asked her later how she cleared her ears she told me she just wiggled her jaw.

Illini_Fan
08-20-2007, 15:11
Being confident in the water will certainly help, but that first breath with your head underwater, none of my swimming experience prepared me for that. I happened to get hooked on it and hopefully your daughter will as well.

I think chewyjr15 has a good suggestion. Also, just reinforce with her that diving is serious, it can be very safe, but it still will be far more serious than what a typical 10-year old has experienced.

deepdiver47
08-20-2007, 16:04
Don't you have to be 12 yrs old for a Jr Open water diver cert?

Vercingetorix
08-20-2007, 16:08
Don't you have to be 12 yrs old for a Jr Open water diver cert?PADI certs kids as young a 10 for Junior Scuba Diver. Child must dive with parent or guardian.

Vercingetorix
08-20-2007, 16:09
Actually, she has been snorkeling for a couple years. She did SNUBA which had her swimming in 20ft of water with a regulator, she dove without issue and stayed under the whole time, and when I asked her later how she cleared her ears she told me she just wiggled her jaw.OK...this kid's a natural. Knows how to clear ears. Stays down. No panic. She's done better than some adults I've seen.

cgvmer
08-20-2007, 16:15
She is a natural in the water, that's why I started her on watching the DVD, I want her to understand the need to breath, what pressure is etc, not just remember the answers for her test.

TwIsTeD
08-20-2007, 16:19
My Girlfriends daughter is 10 now. She's been snorlking and swimms like a fish.
I'd like to get her to try scuba, but she doesn't always want to try new things. If she gets scared at all it's out. Any helpfull suggestions from you parents who's kids started diving at a young age?

What do you do about equipment? I haven't found any BC's sized right. She is a small framed girl.

cgvmer
08-20-2007, 16:28
As I said my daughter did a SASI when she was 7 and SNUBA this past month which is driving her to want to get certified.

Have you looked into any LDS's with youth programs?

TwIsTeD
08-20-2007, 16:51
Not yet, I haven't wanted to push her into this. You may be right on track though. A youth course with some other girls her age would go well, I think.

deepdiver47
08-20-2007, 17:43
Don't you have to be 12 yrs old for a Jr Open water diver cert?PADI certs kids as young a 10 for Junior Scuba Diver. Child must dive with parent or guardian.

Didn't know that, teh question here is can she do the tables at that age?

cummings66
08-20-2007, 18:08
It's funny how as we age we forget what we knew early on. IE if you're 10 years old you're probaby in 4th grade. Most any 4th grader can do basic addition and subtraction, probably faster than I can by now.

I'm more concerned about other aspects than I am the academics, most 10 year olds can not handle stress well, I've seen lots of them fall apart under pressure. I personally think 10 is too young, but each person is different and it may well be this one is ready.

cgvmer
08-20-2007, 20:29
Oh I assure you I am as concerned about the stress. She and I have talked about diving shallow and going slow, she may not want to agree with me, but she realizes this time she must.

Illini_Fan
08-20-2007, 20:35
Not sure if you have other kids that dive, but if your experience is anything like mine (my son is 16) you may find that diving with your children is a double edged sword. Sharing an experience you both enjoy is priceless and makes some fantastac memories, but part of my mind is always focused on my son's safety.

Yes, I trust him as a buddy and he has proven himself a capable new diver, but my child's safety holds a different level of concern that what I typically have for a buddy. Hope that doesn't make me a bad buddy, just something to keep in mind regarding your dives with your daughter.

Liv7301
08-20-2007, 22:46
I'd like to get her to try scuba, but she doesn't always want to try new things. If she gets scared at all it's out. Any helpfull suggestions from you parents who's kids started diving at a young age?

What do you do about equipment? I haven't found any BC's sized right. She is a small framed girl.

They do make youth sized equipment. Since I don't have children, I can't give you any advice on fit. But I do know this great LDS that could probably help you find exactly what you are looking for... :smiley2:

kevinj1
08-21-2007, 00:33
I took my scuba test on my 12th birthday and got certified. It was the first possible day I was allowed to legally get certified back in the 80's.
What helped me a lot was having my older brother reading the scuba book with me an answering questions. I had a bit of a hard time with the dive tables back then--which my brother spent extra time helping me on as well.

cgvmer
08-21-2007, 09:43
Not sure if you have other kids that dive, but if your experience is anything like mine (my son is 16) you may find that diving with your children is a double edged sword. Sharing an experience you both enjoy is priceless and makes some fantastac memories, but part of my mind is always focused on my son's safety.

Yes, I trust him as a buddy and he has proven himself a capable new diver, but my child's safety holds a different level of concern that what I typically have for a buddy. Hope that doesn't make me a bad buddy, just something to keep in mind regarding your dives with your daughter.
I have 2 sons (18 & 14) that are certified and yes, I dive with them, and I dive paranoid (if you ask them). But I enjoy the paranoid parent diving just as much as diving with others.

itry2fly
08-21-2007, 13:57
My 10 year old daughter and I are taking the OW together. Before we started, I sat down with her and we talked about the seriousness of the sport, and that it was not just advanced snorkeling. She has turned out to be a much better diver than I expected. She pays attention and has mastered the skills without a problem. She is even much better on clearing a completely flooded mask, which I still have a problem with. I am the constant dad when we are in the water. I am always a little worried that something will go wrong. But I think that may be the way to go. Always on my toes is a condition I can live with. I would hate to think that I ever get too comfortable, and become nonchalant to the inherent dangers. So I think diving with my child is an advantage to me since I know I normally have a short attention span! Equipment manufacturers make the kids BC's, etc., but all are a "one-size-fits-all" kind of thing. So we've found that not all kids BC's fit all kids. We did find that Scubapro makes a XXS BC that fits her better than the Aqualung Wave Jr. I'm sure other manufacturers make XXS too, and that may be an option for you.

TwIsTeD
08-21-2007, 14:21
Thanks for your replys to my questions.

esp the gear manufactures mentioned.

greyzen
08-21-2007, 16:23
I know a guy whos son and he went through OW together... he was having a lot of extra issues because his son wasn't (in my opinion) ready for the OW experience.

It sounds like you wouldn't have that issue (with the snuba and snorkle, etc.) so I would say the only barrier you have is the fear factor of your kid underwater and struggling to learn a new skill.
Example: She is slightly panic'd full-clearing her mask and the parent gene kicks in and stops her before she calms herself down enough to complete the clear.

cgvmer
08-21-2007, 21:29
OH I won't be in the water for classes or tests.............well at least not near where she is. I know my limitations and 'teaching my own kids is beyond them, I already went through my 18yr olds driving AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

fire diver
08-21-2007, 22:28
OH I won't be in the water for classes or tests.............well at least not near where she is. I know my limitations and 'teaching my own kids is beyond them, I already went through my 18yr olds driving AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

Why not? I dove with my daughter's OW class last weekend. I just hung back a little and just went along for the ride. I didn't get involved between her and the instructor. When they dove, I followed back just a little.

I did have "dad" moment at one point though. I was helping her gear up. She had a new wetsuit, and wanted to do a bouyancy check. We only had our boots on (no fins) at this point. She took a few steps out from me and went under. I instantly reached down and pulled her back up. She looked at me said "I'm fine, the water's not deep" I thought she had stepped off a ledge or into a hole. Somethings are just hardwired in I guess.

FD

fire diver
08-21-2007, 22:31

They do make youth sized equipment. Since I don't have children, I can't give you any advice on fit. But I do know this great LDS that could probably help you find exactly what you are looking for... :smiley2:

cough...cough....backplate and wing...cough. :smiley2:

FD

cgvmer
08-21-2007, 22:35
Actually, my limitation is also my daughter's I have seen her being pushed (in lacrosse, in swimming butterfly, when she notices me, she looks for a bail out. When I hide, she dominates her group.

That and I want to let the instructors, instruct!

BTW: FD, I already have an aluminum BP/ and 30lb wing......... just bought some harness webbing.

fire diver
08-22-2007, 08:18
Just a thought.....

If she has the "girlie" streak along with the adventerous/athletic side, go look at this website for some future dive gear for her. :smiley20:

http://www.thinkpinkscuba.divebiz.net/

FD

cgvmer
08-22-2007, 22:58
I have looked at the site and will be buying pink gear for her.........thanks