PDA

View Full Version : Des Moines area Divers/Shops

Scotttyd
01-27-2009, 18:54
There is a small chance I might be moving back to Iowa in the upcomming year. One main thing that is holding me back is scuba diving, I love North Carolina Diving and I might go into withdrawal if I cannot find something to substitute.

What is there for local dive spots (any?), dive shops, clubs, etc. Not sure if trips to the great lakes are soemthing clubs around DSM do?

I did get the agreement from the wife that if we do go back, I am going on multiple dive trips a year (although I may be traveling as a single)

Lulubelle
01-27-2009, 18:58
There is a small chance I might be moving back to Iowa in the upcomming year. One main thing that is holding me back is scuba diving, I love North Carolina Diving and I might go into withdrawal if I cannot find something to substitute.

What is there for local dive spots (any?), dive shops, clubs, etc. Not sure if trips to the great lakes are soemthing clubs around DSM do?

I did get the agreement from the wife that if we do go back, I am going on multiple dive trips a year (although I may be traveling as a single)

Homeboy, DON'T DO IT! We need you around here to teach us newbies a few tricks...

Guess that January quarry diving has prepared you for the flatlands though.

Hey, I am all of the way up to 35 dives now, just finished a liveaboard. It was great.

Scotttyd
01-27-2009, 19:09

Homeboy, DON'T DO IT! We need you around here to teach us newbies a few tricks...

Hey, I am all of the way up to 35 dives now, just finished a liveaboard. It was great.
you keep changing your avatar. It is a slim chance (perfect job for the wife, then have to sell our house, good luck in this market!!!) She interviewed, and I would think she has a pretty good chance at getting the job, but with the current job market, we are leary of being the "new kid on the block" when/if layoffs come. There are two things keeping me from wanting to go back, scuba and winter. I love NC, but the heart is in Iowa. I am still a relative newbie myself, I am at 85 dives, last year at this time = 10 dives. Heck, If I move, I know you will pass me. Although like I told her, I am going to the carribbean at least once a year (I am pumped for Bonaire this summer), and probably a week back to NC

Lulubelle
01-27-2009, 19:15

you keep changing your avatar. It is a slim chance (perfect job for the wife, then have to sell our house, good luck in this market!!!) She interviewed, and I would think she has a pretty good chance at getting the job, but with the current job market, we are leary of being the "new kid on the block" when/if layoffs come. There are two things keeping me from wanting to go back, scuba and winter. I love NC, but the heart is in Iowa. I am still a relative newbie myself, I am at 85 dives, last year at this time = 10 dives. Heck, If I move, I know you will pass me. Although like I told her, I am going to the carribbean at least once a year (I am pumped for Bonaire this summer), and probably a week back to NC

And you NEED an avatar. It is getting close to tourney time Scotty! I'm a Carolina girl!!!! Forget that Wolfpack swimming thing I was wearing out at the quarry!

I know what that feels like to want to go home. I gave up a great career path with a company in the midwest to come back to this place where I was born. So good luck with being where you want to be. I bet there are tons of divers in Des Moines, they just dive different stuff.

How many of your dives are in salt water? I still haven't been in that quarry! What level of formal training do you have? All I know is that you looked pretty seasoned getting out of that 40 something quarry New Year's Day.

If you come back out to the Morehead area, let me know! I have a little shack there and live down there half time in the summer...

Scotttyd
01-27-2009, 19:28
And you NEED an avatar. It is getting close to tourney time Scotty! I'm a Carolina girl!!!! Forget that Wolfpack swimming thing I was wearing out at the quarry!

I know what that feels like to want to go home. I gave up a great career path with a company in the midwest to come back to this place where I was born. So good luck with being where you want to be. I bet there are tons of divers in Des Moines, they just dive different stuff.

How many of your dives are in salt water? I still haven't been in that quarry! What level of formal training do you have? All I know is that you looked pretty seasoned getting out of that 40 something quarry New Year's Day.

If you come back out to the Morehead area, let me know! I have a little shack there and live down there half time in the summer...
I forgot I do not have an avatar on this board!!

salt water = probably 1/2, the other half in the mud hole known as fantasy lake. The best viz is in the dead of winter, you need to try it!! Looking around, there is not crap for Iowa quarries, two in western Iowa, and one where my friends where certified near the Illinois border, but I think I remember something about them having to use special ear drops or take pills to avoid infections, sounds fun!!!

skdvr
01-28-2009, 15:04
The only Ia diving that I know about is up at Lake Okoboji... I am sure that there are other places but that is all that I know about... The name of the dive shop up there is Blue Water Divers, I am sure that they could point you to some other dive spots in Ia...

Phil

tfriend
01-28-2009, 16:52
I know there is a couple small dive Quarrys in Malvern and Atlantic IA.

cummings66
01-28-2009, 21:25
Near Des Moines you have wreck divers supply, not a bad place to do business with. They do trips to the Great Lakes mostly.

h2odragon1
01-29-2009, 10:02
Try this site: :smiley20:
Home (http://midwestmuckdiving.com/)

ppo2_diver
01-29-2009, 11:01
I'm originally from Iowa. I have dove a few place in Southeast IA. Haven't done anything else. There are a few dive shops in the Quad Cities if you don't mind the drive.

K9Pig
01-29-2009, 13:25
In Des Moines there is Adventure Diving. Here is their website..

Adventure Diving - The Midwest's Premier Dive Shop. (http://www.advdive.net)