PDA

View Full Version : Cayman's in April

mr_tabasco
01-28-2009, 14:03
What is the diving like in the Cayman's in early to mid April? We are new divers and have nver been to Cayman before. Any advice would be appreciated.

mselizann
01-28-2009, 19:46
The weather in April would be great! It's the end of winter, and driest time of the year. Where are you staying?

mr_tabasco
01-29-2009, 08:40
I am not sure. We have only taken one diving vaction so far and it was to Cozumel. I have heard good things about the Caymans and was thinking about giving it a try. How does the diving compare to Cozumel and where is a good place to stay?

mselizann
01-29-2009, 09:15
I've never been to Cozumel....just Cayman- every year. Maybe someoe else has been to both and give you a good comparison?

unibrook
01-30-2009, 12:10
Hi, if you want to go to Little Cayman in March or April and need another diver for your group, I would love to join. I just don't want to pay more for being a single diver at a hotel. Let me know, Nat [email protected]

mrm777
02-02-2009, 01:08
April, May, June........all nice.
Last year hurricanes started early and affected our trip in July.

cowgirldiver
02-02-2009, 10:54
I just got back from the Cayman's. The water temps were high 70's, low 80's. I dove a 3mil with a 3mil core warmer and for the most part was fine. Some people dove 5mils. the wind was a little chilly the first part of the week but it was sunny and warm the last part.

mr_tabasco
02-02-2009, 11:10
How were the currents? That was one thing I wasn't crazy about in Cozumel is that the currents were pretty strong at times and for a new diver it can be a little stressful.

mselizann
02-02-2009, 13:38
There is usually no current, just surface wind.

Skred
02-02-2009, 14:06
How were the currents? That was one thing I wasn't crazy about in Cozumel is that the currents were pretty strong at times and for a new diver it can be a little stressful.

That is the biggest difference between Coz and Cayman...the current. Coz is mostly drift diving while Cayman is wall and reef diving.

I know what you mean about Coz diving being stressful. I got my first taste of it as a newbie also (3rd OW dive as I recall) and it was a stressful experience to say the least. Once you learn how to work with it though, Coz diving is excellent.

cowgirldiver
02-02-2009, 14:20
There are some areas of the Caymans that do have current. On the first or second day I dallied a little too much before coming up to do my safety stop and then got caught in a big current with 500 or less psi left in my tank-no matter how hard I swam I just couldn't make to anything to grab hold of. I got swept out and they had to come get me in the dinghy of shame...... This was definitely not the usual case but it did make me a little leery the rest of the week. I think the boat captain took pity on me and took us to places known for not having current.

mr_tabasco
02-02-2009, 15:41
Yeah we started getting used to it the last day and I can see where it would be really cool. Although when you are a newbie you kind of feel like a rock tumbling down stream in a river. Thanks for all of the info.

mr_tabasco
02-02-2009, 17:18
There are some areas of the Caymans that do have current. On the first or second day I dallied a little too much before coming up to do my safety stop and then got caught in a big current with 500 or less psi left in my tank-no matter how hard I swam I just couldn't make to anything to grab hold of. I got swept out and they had to come get me in the dinghy of shame...... This was definitely not the usual case but it did make me a little leery the rest of the week. I think the boat captain took pity on me and took us to places known for not having current.

That wouldn't be fun. Glad it was just the Dingy of shame and nothing worse.

coloradopomi
02-05-2009, 17:27
I agree. The dingy of shame sure beats the alternative.

divermax
02-06-2009, 19:03
i'm usually on GC in the end of March and the weather is generally nice, you'll want a full wetsuit if you get cold easily, not that the water is really cold, just a matter of comfort.

the visibility is pretty good that time of year too. let me know if you want tips on where to eat, i've been to a ton of the restaurants on the island.

heydn62
04-14-2009, 17:36
There is usually no current, just surface wind.

Was there on a cruise stop last week (4/07). Sunset House was not allowing shore diving because of the wind and choppy conditions. Eden Rock was closing shore diving "after lunch", but we were able to get in a one tank dive. Conditions beneath the surface were excellent, but it did make entry and exit more difficult.

mr_tabasco
04-14-2009, 18:05
Thanks for the update, that is good information. With the economy in the dump I am not sure when I am going to get to take this trip but the more info the better.

mr_tabasco
04-16-2009, 22:23
i'm usually on GC in the end of March and the weather is generally nice, you'll want a full wetsuit if you get cold easily, not that the water is really cold, just a matter of comfort.

the visibility is pretty good that time of year too. let me know if you want tips on where to eat, i've been to a ton of the restaurants on the island.

I would love tips on where to eat but need to find a dive op and place to stay first. Any insight would be really appreciated!

mselizann
04-17-2009, 09:30
do you want to stay where it's busy- close to the busy area, or in a quiet area?

mr_tabasco
04-17-2009, 11:07
Probably close to a busy area. We like to visit the busy areas but not stay there. My experience with the quite areas is that they are a little too isolated for us.

mselizann
04-17-2009, 12:26
I think I would suggest Sunset House then- it is on more of a residential strip, but within walking distance of Georgetown, and a short taxi ride to Seven Mile Beach

mr_tabasco
04-17-2009, 13:39
Great we will check into that, thanks for the info. Do you have any recomendations on a Dive operation? Is the bulk of the diving shore dives or boat dives?

mselizann
04-17-2009, 14:03
Sunset House has it's own dive op- one stop shopping for you

gee
04-17-2009, 21:32
Agree with this suggestion if you want to be in the busy section. Otherwise, compass point in east end would be a good choice for a quiet stay.

I think I would suggest Sunset House then- it is on more of a residential strip, but within walking distance of Georgetown, and a short taxi ride to Seven Mile Beach

TCB
04-26-2009, 17:14
Probably close to a busy area. We like to visit the busy areas but not stay there. My experience with the quite areas is that they are a little too isolated for us.

We stayed at the Aqua Bay Club (http://www.aquabayclub.com/) in 2007 and enjoyed it. Its on the northern end of Seven Mile Beach, but still close to the "busy areas". You'd probably want to rent a car to get around.

For diving, we went with Divetech at Cobalt Coast and really enjoyed it. Nice boats, great divemasters, and a nice facility. I'd also consider Cobalt Coast for your stay too (it was our first choice but they were full when we went).