PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Dive Instructor?

heydn62
01-28-2009, 19:21
My LDS is closing and I just went by to see the owner and chat for a while. He knows my kids and I love to take cruises and he said his dream job would be to teach diving on a cruise. He asked if I knew where he could inquire about a job, but I had no idea. I thought I would post here and see if anyone knows where to start when looking for a job with a cruise line. I imagine there is employment info out there on the cruise line websites, but I wanted to ask here as well in case any of you have any first hand knowledge.

Thanks.

mitsuguy
01-28-2009, 19:34
Supposedly the instructors on cruise ships typically don't do much diving... it's more snorkel tours and such... I remember reading one in specific who said he was lucky if he go to dive 20 times a year, and that was when evaluating the tours for the excursions desk...

chicken
01-28-2009, 19:50
There is a employment/help wanted thread on ScubaBoard. I remember seeing an ad for Carribean Cruise Line looking for a dive instructor. Send him to SB to check, also I would go to the cruise websites and check there.

I hope they have fun because it sure doesn't pay well.

DMWiz
01-28-2009, 20:15
AFAIK, Cruise ships contract dive ops in the different ports and use the dive ops staff to do the tours & instruction. The cruise lines don't really have scuba instructors on staff.

heydn62
01-28-2009, 20:17
AFAIK, Cruise ships contract dive ops in the different ports and use the dive ops staff to do the tours & instruction. The cruise lines don't really have scuba instructors on staff.

Some do. Some lines offer certification classes on board as well.

DMWiz
01-28-2009, 20:25

Some do. Some lines offer certification classes on board as well.

I've seen the classes on board, but all I have seen have been on port with local staff doing discover scuba or OW check outs/referrals. When the pools are less busy. I've asked them.:smiley2:

heydn62
01-28-2009, 20:40
I've seen the classes on board, but all I have seen have been on port with local staff doing discover scuba or OW check outs/referrals. When the pools are less busy. I've asked them.:smiley2:

You may be right. The only Job posting (http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/staticPage.html?pageId=NCLS.JobPostingsDetail&jobId=1159249438598) I found didn't actually list diving in the job description.

scubadiver888
01-29-2009, 20:18
A few years ago a number of the cruise lines had an OWSI onboard. Occasionally, someone would get certified on the cruise. In these rare instances the OWSI would go out with the shore excursion and conduct the open water portion of the training with the student (I assume he did the confined water in one of the ship pools).

Around 2 years ago most the cruise lines stopped employing an onboard OWSI. I'm pretty sure Princess, HAL and NCL don't have anyone anymore. Some of the higher end cruise lines (e.g. Regent) might have someone. I know the smaller ships often had someone onboard and all the equipment was onboard as well. They had a platform on the back of the ship; they would tender the ship and dive right from the platform.

I'm pretty sure the number of positions available is a lot less than the number of people who want to do it. The cruise lines also try to get double duty out of people. For example, the people who teach computer classes onboard are also required to to the IT support for the ship staff. Not sure what they'd have an OWSI do but it might be something like inspecting the underside of the ship when in port. :smiley21:

Maybe your LDS operator should consider working for a dive shop in the Caribbean. Look up some of the bigger operations and see if they are hiring, e.g. Red Sail Sports.

georoc01
01-30-2009, 12:17
Princess had 2 on my ship last year. They have multiple jobs on the boat including running the dive locker, working the excursions desk, doing reviews and teaching open water referrals. They also did all of the setups for the dive excursions including checking all c-cards and waivers on oboard prior to departing the boat.

As far as diving goes, they would get one day a week to dive to do excursion evaluations.

Employment Information : Princess Cruises (http://www.princess.com/employment/index.html)

scubadiver888
01-30-2009, 18:37
Princess had 2 on my ship last year. They have multiple jobs on the boat including running the dive locker, working the excursions desk, doing reviews and teaching open water referrals. They also did all of the setups for the dive excursions including checking all c-cards and waivers on oboard prior to departing the boat.

As far as diving goes, they would get one day a week to dive to do excursion evaluations.

Employment Information : Princess Cruises (http://www.princess.com/employment/index.html)

I was on the Crown Princess December 2007 and the dive instructor told me they were doing away with his position. He told me they were getting rid of onboard instructors. It is good to hear they have reversed that decision. Which Princess ship were you on?

Straegen
01-31-2009, 11:09
Cruise ship personnel are usually very under paid for the work they have to put in. They usually have to do extra work as well such as the entertainers have to do customer service.

DMWiz
02-01-2009, 16:41
Cruise ship personnel are usually very under paid for the work they have to put in. They usually have to do extra work as well such as the entertainers have to do customer service.

So it's right along what an instructor is used to :smiley2:

Daz
02-01-2009, 23:42
I did the cruise line instructor bit for a little over a year back in the late 80's. Lived aboard, worked on ship and on island. Didn't do many certs, our main job was selling and supervising the snorkelling program for island days. We worked the sales desk on board, did slide shore/presentations, snorkelling demos in the pools, and taught/supervised/guarded on island days (1-4 days/week depending on the ship and itinerary). We also had additional duties - I was a lifeboat captain, worked spotlights during shows, etc.

I usually worked 10 weeks on (seven day weeks, no days off) then two weeks off, ten on, and so on. As mentioned before, not a lot of pay for the hours put in, but it was a pretty good life for a single guy in my early 20's.

georoc01
02-02-2009, 16:54

I was on the Crown Princess December 2007 and the dive instructor told me they were doing away with his position. He told me they were getting rid of onboard instructors. It is good to hear they have reversed that decision. Which Princess ship were you on?

The star and then the grand princess..

The other thing is that its definitely seasonal employment as most of the ships go to either Europe or mostly Alaska for the summer. Not much need for a dive instructor in those ports.

dannybot
03-01-2009, 12:54
You could try looking here, though it did not look very informative for OWSI.
Cruise Ship Jobs. Cruise ship instructor and director jobs. (http://www.cruiseshipjob.com/instructors.htm)

Scout
03-03-2009, 17:41
The Boy Scout's Seabase, in the Florida Keys, is frequently looking for DM's and SI's. I'm guessing it doesn't pay a lot, but includes room and board. Could be an OK transition job for a while until your friend gets his feet under him again.

cgvmer
03-03-2009, 21:30
My son and I did our initial OW classes/dives from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship

JLeFever
08-25-2010, 20:05
As of this post. Royal Caribbean cruises still have scuba instructors on-board. I just got back from a mid June cruise on the Freedom of the seas and they had 6 instructor's. 3 of which went on multiple dives every week.