PDA

View Full Version : CoCoView Resort

AggieDad
08-20-2007, 15:45
I went to CoCoView June 2 - 9 of this year. It was my first trip and although the weather was very windy and we had some 5 to 8 foot waves (highly unusual) we had a wonderful time. CoCoView appears to be one of those places that you either are totally in love with or can leave it. I fall into the former. I went with a group of people, some of whom this was their 11 th trip, so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect, bring etc. Their website and chat area are invaluable in the information available. One word of advice. Pack what you think you need, take half of it out and leave at home, take twice as much money. The food is good, simple but good. The staff is outstanding and they truly make you feel at home. Nora will meet you at the airport and hug you and say "Welcome Home".
We had to use the mid boat exit twice due to weather and it was no problem. I personally like the way you do a boat dive, surface interval and then a drop dive on either Newman's Wall in the morning or CoCoView Wall in the evening. Do the same wall dive multiple times? Yes, just change your depth a few feet and it is a whole new world. Arrive on Saturday (we did Continental) but if it is your first time they will not let you dive until you take an orientation on Sunday. Truly not a problem because the front yard is open for snorkeling and provides a lot of things to see. The orientation dive is just to famaliarize yourself with the procedures and to ensure you that you cannot get lost if you shore dive from the front yard out to the Prince Albert. The Prince Albert is a wonderful wreck to dive on and there is a lot to see and do. When the tide is going out the vis is a little murky but catch it on the inbound or at slack and the vis is very good. Max depth at the rudder is 65 feet.
We stayed in a over water cabana and loved it. We had two non-divers with us. My wife doesn't dive but she just enjoys getting away and relaxing. She spent hours on the gazebo in a hammock reading and playing with the Mayor of CoCoView....Pancho. I will bet you that you cannot get one of the kayaks out and into the water without Pancho arriving to take his seat of honor. The other lady was less than thrilled. The first thing she asked was where is the pool and we pointed to the ocean. Not a happy camper all week and her husband is still paying...dearly. I told him to make sure that everyone knew this was a dive only operation. There are some great things to do in the area but we were there to dive.

Overall I feel that it is a great value for the money.

ScubaSteve
08-20-2007, 22:09
Glad to hear Pancho is doing well. We were down there last December and my wife all but stuffed his ass in her luggage. We live with two goldens and he was our surrogate for the week.

RobT
08-21-2007, 02:56
It really depends on the person if they will enjoy themselves if they are a non-diver. My wife cannot dive, but has become an avid snorkler. She loves it there. She goes out on the boats in the afternoons since it is usually at a place where there is a shallow reef top. The front yard is her playground. The top of CoCoView wall, especially between the coral heads is amazing.

I will be down there again the week following Thanksgiving and will stay until the 15th of Dec. The wife will join me on the 8th of Dec.

BTW Aggiedad, I see you have joined CoCoChat but I haven't seen you post there yet. Lurking? Join in!

Later, Rob.

deepdiver47
08-21-2007, 07:38
AggieDad, did you know BigJetDriver?

AggieDad
09-03-2007, 21:47
AggieDad, did you know BigJetDriver?

Sadly, no I did not know him personally but only through the internet. My hard drive crashed on my PC and I lost all of my e-mails from him to me. He seemed to be one of those guys that you instantly liked and respected. I miss his wisdom and insights.

Zenagirl
09-04-2007, 11:15
I've been thinking about Cocoview with Felix coming through. I hope everyone there is okay.