PDA

View Full Version : Good Day of Midwest Diving

skdvr
01-31-2009, 21:02
About 15 of us went down to Mermet this weekend... There were divers from all over. Nothern Wisconsin to Tennessee all enjoying the nice cool conditions. Water temp was 45* air temp in the morning was in the 20's, but was quickly warming up after about 10:30 after the sun finally made it out...

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll34/pebalsamo/P1310179.jpg

Splitlip
01-31-2009, 21:57
I love Ya Man, but you guys are Psychos. :)

About 15 of us went down to Mermet this weekend... There were divers from all over. Nothern Wisconsin to Tennessee all enjoying the nice cool conditions. Water temp was 45* air temp in the morning was in the 20's, but was quickly warming up after about 10:30 after the sun finally made it out...

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll34/pebalsamo/P1310179.jpg

cummings66
01-31-2009, 23:43
Looks like great diving to me. All of our snow and ice has mostly melted thanks to the rotten 64 degree temps. Really sucks to be here right now.

Glad to see you guys had a good time.

skdvr
02-01-2009, 07:15

No way bro... That is what diving is all about... Nice and Refreshing!

Phil

snagel
02-01-2009, 07:44
Nice, Skdr,

I was at Mermet last Feb right after an ice storm. Ice hanging off the pavilions - nothing better. Glad everybody had a good and safe time. How was the viz? For us last Feb it really wasn't that great.

Snagel

Splitlip
02-01-2009, 08:14
Looks like great diving to me. All of our snow and ice has mostly melted thanks to the rotten 64 degree temps. Really sucks to be here right now.

Glad to see you guys had a good time.

You're right up there too Matt.:smiley36:

Lulubelle
02-01-2009, 08:25

Phil

I just don't get it. I try, but I fail to understand. I get that some people live in cold places and need/want to dive to keep their skills, I get that some people like the extra challenge of cold water diving. The part I don't get is that some of you guys really seem to take plain old pleasure in diving in these temps.

And here I am just hoping that one day I will get past my mental barrier of not diving below 72 degrees or so (below the thermocline) which puts me between June and October here.

I am a wimp I guess, or maybe just thin blooded.

skdvr
02-01-2009, 09:17
Vis was alright... I would guess about 20ft. When I was waiting on the surface for my buddies to get in I could see the rebreather guys doing their drills on the 20ft platform below me. Just barely see their tanks and little reflections here and there. Down at about 80ft it got dark but the vis was still decent. The depest we went was 110.

crpntr133
02-01-2009, 09:45
I just don't get it. I try, but I fail to understand. I get that some people live in cold places and need/want to dive to keep their skills, I get that some people like the extra challenge of cold water diving. The part I don't get is that some of you guys really seem to take plain old pleasure in diving in these temps.

And here I am just hoping that one day I will get past my mental barrier of not diving below 72 degrees or so (below the thermocline) which puts me between June and October here.

It's a challenge!! Man versus nature. Kinda like cave diving, if you don't get why people do it then you probably don't need to do it yourself.
I've been itchin to get back in but can't find anyone that is willing to do an ice dive.

skdvr
02-01-2009, 09:48
Here is a short little video of me from the 20ft platform trying to figure out my trim problems... The vis in the video does not look all that great but I think that it was a little better than it appears. Pardon the camera drop in the first part of the video, I have not had time to cut it out...

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll34/pebalsamo/th_DSCF1036.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll34/pebalsamo/?action=view&current=DSCF1036.flv)

Phil

snagel
02-01-2009, 10:09

Phil

Actually, in the midwest end of dive season would be Octoberish and start again around Mayish. That cuts out about half the year for diving. So, if you want to dive in the midwest you either adapt and get drysuit certified, just dive half the year, or fly to somewhere else. I think we all would love to be diving on some paradise island year round, but that's not in the cards for us - so we do what we have too.

Besides, winter diving is typically the better viz. Less boat traffic on the lakes, less algae, and things seem to settle down.

Snagel

skdvr
02-02-2009, 07:26

Phil

There is just something about being in the water when everything is snow and ice covered that is NICE... The water is nice, and generally only filled with more serious divers, that do not get in and muck the place up, so it can be a bit more enjoyable... Although we did have 2 new rebreather divers in the group down there that were having a bit of a challenge with their buoancy and did get in the muck a couple of times... They appologized for having to learn buoyancy all over again...

Come on up and give it a shot... It is a blast....

Phil

medicdiver
02-02-2009, 07:43
That viz wasn't too bad. I'm looking forward to diving at the end of the month. Thanks for the video.

skdvr
02-02-2009, 08:06
That viz wasn't too bad. I'm looking forward to diving at the end of the month. Thanks for the video.

Nope not to bad, but I had hoped for better with so no one in the quarry in the past month... I guess it may have flipped causing it to be a little silty... I have seen better there, but I have also seen much worse. I was still very happy with the vis... If it is better than 10' it is a good day...

Phil

mm2002
02-02-2009, 20:11
Looks like a good time Phil! Last time I dove there air temp was 38, water 56 surface/42 at 120. I guess that was warm compared to what you guys did! :smiley36:
Have to say though, I did the last dive of the day in a 7mm. That was an experience! Dry, it wasn't bad until you peeled off the suit.

medicdiver
02-02-2009, 21:10
I've heard good things about Mermet so I am hoping to get there this summer some time.

ektess1
02-02-2009, 21:23
That looks like so much fun. One day, when I become a serious diver, I want to do that too.
Until then I will have to be content with the non challenging diving here in paradise

skdvr
02-03-2009, 06:02
Have to say though, I did the last dive of the day in a 7mm. That was an experience! Dry, it wasn't bad until you peeled off the suit.

Why in the world would you go from Dry to a wetsuit in weather like that...

Crazy!?!?

Phil

mm2002
02-03-2009, 18:27

Why in the world would you go from Dry to a wetsuit in weather like that...

Crazy!?!?

Phil

Crazy? Maybe a little, but honestly I was checking out a new 7mm FJ I just bought. I just wanted to check the boundaries (if ya know what I mean!)
I learned that the 7mm just didn't quite do the trick! :smiley5:
Nothing against drysuit divers, but I can honestly say that I never had a comfortable dive in one. Too much bulk I guess. Good news is now I don't have to worry about it any more! :smiley20:

skdvr
02-03-2009, 21:28
Nothing against drysuit divers, but I can honestly say that I never had a comfortable dive in one. Too much bulk I guess. Good news is now I don't have to worry about it any more! :smiley20:

Blah, Blah, Blah, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda!!!

Keep rubbing it in Mr Sunshine and Palm Trees....

Phil

navyhmc
02-03-2009, 22:19

Phil

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: Party at MM2002's place!!!!:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

terfmop
02-03-2009, 22:31

It's a challenge!! Man versus nature. Kinda like cave diving, if you don't get why people do it then you probably don't need to do it yourself.
I've been itchin to get back in but can't find anyone that is willing to do an ice dive.

Hey, I'm willing....but in a drysuit. :D 45 degree water temps are ok with me in my 7mm....it's the air temps that I need to be a bit warmer.

mm2002
02-04-2009, 07:30

Phil

Sorry bro! :smiley36:

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: Party at MM2002's place!!!!:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Come on over!!

skdvr
02-05-2009, 06:12
I am not sure I would know what to do in warm and clear water....

Phil

mm2002
02-05-2009, 09:00
I am not sure I would know what to do in warm and clear water....

Phil

It does kinda take the "challenge" out of it. Honestly, I really look forward to diving the lakes and quarries again. Just something about the deep dark cold. Believe it or not, my next "long distance" dive trip will probably be to Mermet. It just feels like home.

snagel
02-05-2009, 16:43
If you make the trip to Mermet, let me know, I'll be there.

Snagel

navyhmc
02-05-2009, 17:10
I've been hearing good things about Mermet, I will definitely have to make the trip. Only problem is it's about 10 hours one way. Makes for a long post-diving trip home. But I will make the trip-hopefully this year. Do they allow Solo with a card?

skdvr
02-05-2009, 20:43
Not sure about the Solo... You would have to talk to Glen (owner). He may giving the right experiences....

Phil

terfmop
02-05-2009, 20:49
I didn't get to Mermet in '08, but will definately need to get there in '09....have a few new friends that got the OW certs in recent months that expressed interest in going to see the plane

Splitlip
02-05-2009, 21:00
I've been hearing good things about Mermet, I will definitely have to make the trip. Only problem is it's about 10 hours one way. Makes for a long post-diving trip home. But I will make the trip-hopefully this year. Do they allow Solo with a card?

Other problem, it is fresh water. <shudder>. I just googled. (I bet there are sticks in the water.)

As to solo, do they have scuba police? :)

navyhmc
02-05-2009, 22:05

Other problem, it is fresh water. <shudder>. I just googled. (I bet there are sticks in the water.)

Aw c'mon Splitlip...Us freshies aren't leppers nor mutants who have an internal sonar to navigate murky waters.... :smiley36: Besides, the sticks make it interesting. And remember: No one has ever been attacked by a Great White or Tiger shark in a quarry.

And yes, we do have scuba cops. They meet you at 60' to ensure you have an AOW card and then again at 90' for the deep card. God help you if you go below 130'!!!:smilie39:

skdvr
02-06-2009, 04:52

Actually they kind of do... The guy who owns the place and several of the staff are Cops... Not that they are in the water checking cards, but I think you can kind of call them scuba police:smiley2:

Phil

mm2002
02-06-2009, 08:32
If you make the trip to Mermet, let me know, I'll be there.

Snagel

I figured you were part of the staff by now brother! :smiley36:

navyhmc
02-06-2009, 08:36
I sent them an email, I'm sure they'll give me a reply soon. I did let hem know where I heard about Mermet too: Here and Snagel's Midwest Muck Diving!

mm2002
02-06-2009, 08:40

Hey, you get to dive inside a 727. That in it'self makes it worth the trip!

Solo? Well, they have these "lifegaurd" kinda people sitting at the entry points, but I've never seen them really notice who gets in the water. If all else fails, go on DUI day and get lost in the crowd! :smiley36:

navyhmc
02-06-2009, 09:00
If all else fails, go on DUI day and get lost in the crowd! :smiley36:

Now there's an idea :smiley36:

Splitlip
02-06-2009, 17:17

Aw c'mon Splitlip...Us freshies aren't leppers nor mutants who have an internal sonar to navigate murky waters.... :smiley36: Besides, the sticks make it interesting. And remember: No one has ever been attacked by a Great White or Tiger shark in a quarry.

And no one has ever been attacked by a stick in the Atlantic Ocean off south East Florida.

I don't know for a fact if it has happened in quarries, but I for one don't plan on finding out.

navyhmc
02-06-2009, 19:38
I was attacked by a stick off the Florida Keys once-a 5 footer! If I hadn't brought my pruning shears as a second cutting tool, I would have been a goner! :smilie39:

To answer the other question I posted about Solo, Mermet's Owner-Glenn Fisher replied and advised me that their current insurance rider does not allow for Solo. He may consider it in the future, but as of right now, no solo. :smiley19:

coyote
02-08-2009, 14:30
To answer the other question I posted about Solo, Mermet's Owner-Glenn Fisher replied and advised me that their current insurance rider does not allow for Solo. He may consider it in the future, but as of right now, no solo. :smiley19:

That always sucks. Haigh Quarry and Strode Lake are the same way.

Splitlip
02-08-2009, 15:08
I was attacked by a stick off the Florida Keys once-a 5 footer! If I hadn't brought my pruning shears as a second cutting tool, I would have been a goner! :smilie39:

I hate sticks in the water. Glad it all worked out for you.:smiley20:

I'll be looking for your story in "Lessons for Life" :smiley36: in an upcoming publication of "Scubadiving".

navyhmc
02-08-2009, 23:59

I hate sticks in the water. Glad it all worked out for you.:smiley20:

I'll be looking for your story in "Lessons for Life" :smiley36: in an upcoming publication of "Scubadiving".

Only when I'm over the trauma of the incident. :smilie39:

I can see splitlip at his first lake dive: "Sticks...Why did it have to be sticks?"

Navy: "Ooh...Hickory, very dangerous...you go first!"