PDA

View Full Version : Lake Tenkiller

Disneymom
08-20-2007, 19:40
OK, Okies - Lake Tenkiller, south of Tahlequah - how bad is it? I want to dive it because it is convenient, but am concerned about the vis. Give me the scoop, please?

TxScubaBear
08-21-2007, 06:47
Disney Mom, check out this thread, I was just there reading about this place:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=198958

:smiley16:

ZeroViz
08-22-2007, 07:04
This can be a fun place to dive. Easy access to the water. Usually about 10'-30' visibility depending on your depth. You can get more info on the diving at http://www.lakediver.com/map/oklahoma/tenkiller.html as well as a small underwater video to give you an idea of the conditions. Across from the state park there is a restaurant called "Big Daddy's". They have great milk shakes and burgers!

Disneymom
08-22-2007, 08:29
Zero Vis - We tried Big Daddy's when we went down there looking around a couple weeks ago - great shakes! I've just heard so much negative about it, but is so convenient for me! I'd like to try to dive the lake, but do want to be able to see...

Is that dive park there in that campground right across the street from Big Daddy's shore entry?

TxScubaBear
08-22-2007, 09:57
Thanks for the link ZeroViz....great info! Makes me want to go there after I get my AOW....

fire diver
08-22-2007, 10:22
If you are expecting caribbean clear water, then stay home. If you want a great dive with some decent oklahoman vis, then drive down as much as possible. The Park loses vis if you get there late on a weekend. Too many students stir up the bottom. Go there during the week, or get there early Sat. Vis will probably be 15+ If you go break the thermal cline the vis only gets better. If you plan on diving below 30 feet, bring a thick wetsuit. First thermal will drop the temp about 15 degrees right now, second is probably around 45-50 feet. You will be in the 60's temp wise at that depth. But the vis down there is amazing! You'll need a light to see anything that deep.

FD

Coaster
08-22-2007, 10:40
If you are expecting caribbean clear water, then stay home. If you want a great dive with some decent oklahoman vis, then drive down as much as possible. The Park loses vis if you get there late on a weekend. Too many students stir up the bottom. Go there during the week, or get there early Sat. Vis will probably be 15+ If you go break the thermal cline the vis only gets better. If you plan on diving below 30 feet, bring a thick wetsuit. First thermal will drop the temp about 15 degrees right now, second is probably around 45-50 feet. You will be in the 60's temp wise at that depth. But the vis down there is amazing! You'll need a light to see anything that deep.

FD

Thanks for the post...this is useful information.

Disneymom
08-22-2007, 11:06
thanks for the info, FD. No, I know I'm not going to find caribbean clear waters, but I hear anything from "I couldn't see my hand in front of my face" to the 15'+. I think it's at least a try, and it's a LOT more convenient for me than Beaver. I don't have any problem being there early on a Saturday.
So.... till my husband and daughter (hopefully) gets their certs - anybody wanna go?

Coaster
08-22-2007, 11:13
I'd like to go.....can't this weekend...doing night dives (and working). Heard that some Texas divers are heading up there soon.

fire diver
08-22-2007, 11:26
Actually a lot more than just poor bouyancy divers affect the vis. The dive park sit just outside of a creek / watershed. Heavy recent rains will put alot of silt in the water. Winds will too. The park area is pretty exposed weather wise. Strong winds from the north, south, or west can have an affect. Of course during the lake turn in spring. And lastly, boats. If you go there during heavy boating times of year, you can expect the vis up top to be bad.

The good news, is that many times when the dive park is bad, Crappie (pronounced KRAW-PEE for you non fishermen) Point will have great vis. Crappie is just around the bend towards the dam. Only bad point here is that you have to walk down (and up) a rocky slope with gear. but it's not too bad. they have OW classes there alot. WATCH OUT FOR THE CAVERNS, THEY SNEAK UP AND SWALLOW YOU! :smiley11:

FD

Disneymom
08-22-2007, 11:56
I'd like to go.....can't this weekend...doing night dives (and working). Heard that some Texas divers are heading up there soon. Oh, I'm at Beaver Lake this weekend, anyway.

WATCH OUT FOR THE CAVERNS, THEY SNEAK UP AND SWALLOW YOU! :smiley11:

FD :scared: Would you elaborate? I'd really appreciate it.

fire diver
08-22-2007, 12:11
WATCH OUT FOR THE CAVERNS, THEY SNEAK UP AND SWALLOW YOU! :smiley11:

FD :scared: Would you elaborate? I'd really appreciate it.
OK.

I'm sure this has happened to a lot of folks there. It's more freaky than dangerous if don't panic. When you go down at crappie, most folks swim east along the wall, towards the old cliff jumping spot. At about 20-25 feet, you can follow the wall nicely. After going out a ways (I think I had dropped about 1000psi) I dropped down slightly to the "bottom". This is where the bottom slope comes up and meets the wall (at around 35-40 ft). When you follow the wall back west, you find yourself facing the end of a narrow little "V". Look up, you'll see rock. This is where it gets freaky becuase you now realize that you are somewhere in this cavern, without a line to the outside)

I knew of this place and planned accordingly. before decent I had taken a compass reading towards the dam, which would lead me to open water anywhere on that wall. When I realized where I was, I dropped back down to the bottom, oriented myself to my openwater heading and moved out. I think it was about 50 feet before I could look up and see the green glow of the surface.

The guys from LakeDiver.com found the same place. But tried to go "up" They found a vaulted ceiling with no direct passage back out. Got a little hairy for them, but after dropping down, they made it out. they are the reason I knew of this spot. There may be more than one of these overhang/cavern areas there. I've heard there's another at around 60-70 ft.

Hope this helps.

FD

dbsea
08-22-2007, 12:28
With all of the rain west of OKC, the lake will take another week or two to settle into the 15+ vis.

fire diver
08-22-2007, 12:32
With all of the rain west of OKC, the lake will take another week or two to settle into the 15+ vis.

Completely different regional watersheds. Tenkiller gets it's water from up in the Tulsa area.

FD

Jethroish
08-23-2007, 21:30
Before we moved this summer, wife and I dove Tenkiller. We always dove mid week. Less boat and people traffic. We usually got 10 to 12 feet vis above the thermo down at the scuba park.