PDA

View Full Version : Looking for volunteers to test Dive Computer Library

AndyDragon
02-01-2009, 22:26
I am a software developer and I am working on an open-source, cross-platform dive computer downloader library for third-party applications to be able to download dive profiles WITHOUT using the OEM software. There are two main reasons for this.

First, we all know most of the OEM software is...well...software written by hardware guys. I've been in the software industry for a long time and one thing is a recurring pattern. Hardware guys often make brilliant hardware but less than stellar software which hampers their hardware.

The second reason is cross-platform support. What the heck is that? Most OEM software is written for (and only for) Windows. While this makes perfect business sense due the proliferation of Windows, that leaves those with Macs and Linux to dual-boot or run virtual machines or any number of strange machinations to get the dives downloaded.

I am current affiliated with one other team working on the same stuff. Their work is in C/C++ and my work is in C#/.Net/Mono. Or goals are the same and it's nice working with them.

So, what do we need at this point? People to test the downloader library using simple tools that will download the dive computer's memory and pass those on to us. The more dumps we have, the better our accuracy becomes. Where ever there is personal information, either the software will fill that with blanks or we do it manually when necessary. Also, the library is a read-only library - it makes NO writes and/or changes to the computer.

If you interested is helping out, send me a PM and I'll send some instructions on how to contribute. While the goal is to support many computers, at this point I am concentrating on the Pelagic line of computers (Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood, Genesis, Hollis) and the older Suunto computers (Vyper, Cobra, Vytec).

reactive
03-30-2009, 22:10
Anyone else contributing to this? I'd really like to see some cross-platform software for Oceanic become a reality!

CompuDude
03-30-2009, 22:36
Let me know if you need a dump from a Uwatec Galileo Sol...

AndyDragon
03-31-2009, 09:06
Let me know if you need a dump from a Uwatec Galileo Sol...

I have not begun work on this computer yet, but TnT has with his library. You can find the downloader (Windows commmand prompt) here:

It's the same as for the Uwatec Smart.

http://users.telenet.be/sacn/suunto/smart.exe

Once downloaded, send the resulting file to:

jefdriesen 'at' hotmail 'dot com'

and

andy_dragon 'at' hotmail 'dot com'

MSilvia
03-31-2009, 09:46
If I used a computer, I'd totally be on board with this. I encourage everyone to help him out!

gNats
03-31-2009, 11:20
I dive a Suunto Cobra and do download to my laptop.

I am running Vista Home Pro or whatver - the 64bit OS.

Just read instructions. I'll shoot you a PM.

AndyDragon
03-31-2009, 15:10
I'll post the link to the download application here:

http://www.divecomputerlib.com/downloads/ComputerDumper.zip

Select your computer at the top, then click the first button to find the serial port. If the serial port finder fails, send me the log (so I can see the VID and PID of your cable) and click the second button to manually set the serial port. Then click the third button to download from the computer.

PM me and I'll get you an email address to email the files to, please don't post them here as attachments and use all the web HD space...

AndyDragon
03-31-2009, 15:11
PS....thanks to all of you who have contributed and sent me logs, every log helps improve the accuracy of our code and definitely helps.