PDA

View Full Version : dive knife

chewyjr15
08-20-2007, 19:51
what is a good knife that i can wear on my thigh, sharp, reliable, and that will get the job done?

Thanks,

Chewy

CompuDude
08-20-2007, 20:21
what is a good knife that i can wear on my thigh, sharp, reliable, and that will get the job done?
I think you'll find a small, sharp knife worn in a more accessible location will do the job better. No need for rambo knives, just a small, simple and cheap knife works great. I prefer titanium blades so I don't have to take care of them, but that rules out the "cheap" part of the equation!

There are a few threads on knife options in this Accessories forum, so look through the first couple pages of posts and you may find your questions are already answered...

chewyjr15
08-20-2007, 20:22
thanks a bunch

Xspect
08-20-2007, 20:29
Also think about a blunt tip. I wish I had got one.

chewyjr15
08-20-2007, 20:40
how would a blunt tip be superior to a pointy or sharp tip?

DivingsInMyBlood
08-20-2007, 20:42
well for one thing you wont stab your gear with a blunt as bad as a sharp and its good for digging around and prying.

CompuDude
08-20-2007, 20:44
how would a blunt tip be superior to a pointy or sharp tip?

In sum: Less likely to poke holes in important things, like you and your BCD. More useful for prying, which is a very common use for dive knives. The only way it is less useful is for killing things (a pretty rare use for a dive knife) and undoing knots.

See this thread for more: http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=248 ("Flat Vs Sharp tip")

Buoyant1
08-21-2007, 07:47
I'm always paranoid about stabbing myself, or accidently slicing a hose (Expecially if I'm having a "Sea Hunt" flashback!)

I'm going to get one of those cute zip knives that can cut line or through a BC strap if necessary, but it would take a big screw up to cut yourself!

Charlotte Smith
08-21-2007, 08:38

Thanks,

Chewy
I have the scissors and they will actually cut a penny in half! they will cut anything you might get caught up in and on the plus side.....they wont cut you and don't take up much room! hope this helps!
Charlotte

greyzen
08-21-2007, 11:04
Chewy, on the ST purchasing side, Larry and Joe have mentioned which knives they like.
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Knives.asp

I purchased:
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Fusiler

Rust resistant, smaller/etc.

Darth Fishhead
08-22-2007, 21:00
Yeah, my first scuba purchase post-certification was a pair of Rambo knives on eBay. I was young and stupid. First, I didn't know that $20 was stupid cheap for a PAIR of knives. Second, I would have noticed that they are left handed (defective). Further, the only way they stay in their hard plastic sheathes is with a little Mickey-Mouse piece of Velcro elastic (like that won't get caught on everything and will be real easy to use with gloves on!) So, a nice small blunt one would be advisable.

SilentEcho13
08-22-2007, 23:20
It's a good idea to take a serrated/half serrated blade with me right?

Can anyone recommend me a good clip point, and serrated knife? (individually)

brandon
08-23-2007, 02:35
3" Victorinox knife in Maglight sheath.

Very easily replaceable, cheap, super sharp... no need for anything monstrous.

-B>

BigScubaCat
08-26-2007, 16:13
Whatever you get don't spend a ton of money and get two. That way if you lose it you won;'t feel too bad and won't endanger yourself trying to go and retrieve it. A good combination would be a knife and a pair of scissors/shears (similar to EMT shears).