PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from OKLA!

jwdizney
08-20-2007, 19:53
Aspiring snorkeler with scuba aspirations and overcoming phobia of deep waters and dark places! encouraging words appreciated!

DivingsInMyBlood
08-20-2007, 20:21
hello and welcome matey

thor
08-20-2007, 20:41
Welcome. Once you realize that you can actually breathe underwater, anything is possible

mpd525
08-20-2007, 21:30
Hey I know someone like that, My Wife just learned to swim 4 weeks ago, and is now a certified Diver, and if she can overcome all that then you can, put your mind to it, and don't quit. And Welcome!!!!

dallasdivergirl
08-20-2007, 22:02
where are you from in OK?

I grew up there.

Vercingetorix
08-21-2007, 08:17
Given that you're DisneyMom's husband, I assume she's already taught you the secret codewords and handshakes. All that remains is the rites of initiation. We'll schedule that immediately following your OW checkout dives.

Welcome to the board.

fire diver
08-21-2007, 08:31
Welcome to the board. Another Okie here. You can do anything you set your mind to. We had a guy in my daughter's OW class who was a non-swimmer, and scared of the water. He did it slowly, got comfortable, and did the entire class. He was a regular diver on the open water checkouts.

Go for IT!

creggur
08-21-2007, 08:31
Welcome to the boards, and good luck with your training....Just take your time and realize that you're breathing and everything is OK....Fear of the water can be a hard one to overcome.. I'll bet I used to hate being in airplanes as bad as you hated being in the water, so I learned to fly...It was the most challenging thing I've ever done, but well worth it in the end...

You'll find a lot of encouraging and knowlegable folks here who will be glad to help any way they can...
Enjoy the boards, and don't hesitate to ask questions, even if you think they're silly, cause trust me they are not...

mwhities
08-21-2007, 09:03
You REALLY messed up now. :shakes head:

Michael

Foo2
08-21-2007, 09:30
Welcome to ST Mr. DisneyMom! Disneymom is a favorite here, you'll have all sorts of friends in no time. Good luck with your water phobia...you're gonna do great!

ixrayu
08-22-2007, 15:23
Your wife is so nice!!! BTW I had to overcome a HUGE fear of the water. If I can do it, anyone can! If you ever need any words of encouragement or any tips on overcoming the fear just give me a yell!

greyzen
08-22-2007, 15:32
Mr. Disneymom, you have nothing to fear cept fear itself.

My wife was a doggypaddler and now can swim pretty strong and float as long as their is water to float in... she doesn't even hold her nose underwater now!

When we went snorkeling on our honeymoon (its what propelled her to want to scuba) it was explained best by the snorkel guide:

"Do not worry about seeing any sharks when you dive...they attack from behind" :smilie39:

Seriously though, pay attention to what you are being taught... practice and grow more comfy with your surroundings... and you will look back and realize the last few times you were swimming/etc... you wern't scared :)

Centerius
08-22-2007, 17:42
Welcome to the board! I hope you get over any fears you have, because SCUBA diving is an amazing adventure into places many people never see for themselves. :)

Disneymom
08-27-2007, 08:24
bump -