PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth - Oceans!

MSilvia
02-02-2009, 12:25
The new Google Earth beta has bathymetry! It isn't complete yet, but if you turn off "ocean surface" in the view menu, it shows bottom contours!

tfriend
02-02-2009, 13:19
I was at work this week, bored and found that! its very interesting to look at. great way to pass time hahah!

thor
02-02-2009, 13:24
The new Google Earth beta has bathymetry! It isn't complete yet, but if you turn off "ocean surface" in the view menu, it shows bottom contours!

I'm actually more amazed at the word "bathymetry"

MSilvia
02-02-2009, 13:57
It's a lot easier to say or type than "underwater topology", and it's a far cry from being the most brobdingnagian word in my vocabulary.

It's funny... not ten minutes after posting this, I saw a demo of Google Earth 5.0 on CNN. Apparently there's a new Hawaiian island in the works.

Monkeylemon
02-02-2009, 14:39
This is super-cool...wow. Google IS the boss of us!

jwdizney
02-02-2009, 19:34
i saw the demos, it's gonna be really cool!

brobdingnagian...????:smiley29:

navyhmc
02-02-2009, 20:12
It's a lot easier to say or type than "underwater topology", and it's a far cry from being the most brobdingnagian word in my vocabulary.

It's funny... not ten minutes after posting this, I saw a demo of Google Earth 5.0 on CNN. Apparently there's a new Hawaiian island in the works.

Huh..Huh... He said brobdingnagian! :smilie39:

I have got to get up your way Msilvia, if only to meet youface to face! :smiley20:

navyhmc
02-02-2009, 20:13
i saw the demos, it's gonna be really cool!

brobdingnagian...????:smiley29:

"of Tremendous size, Colossal, Huge" Comes from Guliver's Travels.

MSilvia
02-02-2009, 22:12
Nice... 10 points for navyhmc! It's basically the opposite of Lilliputian... Brobdingnag was the land of giants.

Come on up any time, I'd love to take you out for a dive.

Lulubelle
02-03-2009, 03:33
Nice... 10 points for navyhmc! It's basically the opposite of Lilliputian... Brobdingnag was the land of giants.

Come on up any time, I'd love to take you out for a dive.

Very cool!

Also the first time any man has ever taught me a word that I didn't already know (yes, bathymetry was already in there). Congrats MSilvia! Men who speak in full sentences are to be admired.

MSilvia
02-03-2009, 08:53
Men who speak in full sentences are to be admired.
Thanks, I guess I'm from the "old school" in that way. Actually, now that I've started wearing a fedora, I suppose it might be in lots of ways.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I was looking for a Washington Cruisers' "APPEAL TO HEAVEN" patch for my drysuit the other day (sadly without success), so I may be getting even "older school" as time goes on.

...but I digress. Does anyone know if/when I can expect Google Earth to have more complete bathymetry for my local area?

Reg
02-04-2009, 01:10
How are they actually do this mappng....Are they using some type of ROV?

emt
02-04-2009, 14:36
Originally Posted by LuluBelle:"Also the first time any man has ever taught me a word that I didn't already know."
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________

I learned a lot of my vocabulary from my dad. y tu?

MSilvia
02-04-2009, 14:41
I learned a lot of my vocabulary from my dad. y tu?
Some, but language isn't his strong point... unlike my mom, with whom I play Scrabble online.