PDA

View Full Version : Ranger going to China?

MEL-DC Diver
08-20-2007, 20:18
Scott,
Say it isn't so. I read in another thread that the Ranger will be manufactured in China? Is that really the case?

lucidblue
08-20-2007, 20:29
I hope not. I like that Zeagle products are made in the USA.

TAH 73
08-21-2007, 07:15
I know if Zeagle moves it's manufacturing offshore, to China, personally it would make me look to other brands.
If it goes that way I will not be buying a pair of Ranger/Brigade's as planned. Scratch the sale of a L and a XS.

ScottZeagle
08-21-2007, 08:42
Instead of doing this all over again, I am going to post a link to the last time this subject was tackled...

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=189471

Keep in mind that through our "Custom" program, you can have any BC made in the USA...

JugglingMonkeys
08-21-2007, 08:56
China's quality is certainly spotty at times.

creggur
08-21-2007, 09:22
I understand that people feel strongly about this, and I have to admit, when I first read this I was a little disapointed. However the truth of the matter is I didn't really take it into account when I purchased my Zeagle gear (see sig below). I understand why these things happen, and as long as Zeagle's quality controls are in place, and the BC's are being built to their specs then I will continue to support the product line. I quite honestly don't know where my Brigade was built, I do know it is built like a tank.

MEL-DC Diver
08-21-2007, 09:23
Hmm, not enough sewers. That sucks, but I can understand it. Still not happy about it. I guess I will be going the custom route in the future to get a US BC.

Just out of curiousity, is it a Zeagle factory in China, or is it a factory that does contract work for Zeagle?

NitroWill
08-21-2007, 09:32
Keep in mind that through our "Custom" program, you can have any BC made in the USA...

Could you explain more about this "Custom Program"? Is their a web site for this? I just ordered my brigade and envoy deluxes (due in today) so I guess its too late..but what does the program entail?

TAH 73
08-21-2007, 09:34
After going through and reading the other thread and seeing that so far they have been able to maintain the quality that they are known for is a little relieving. Maintaining the quality will be the test, I hope if Zeagle sees QC issues they will move the production back to the US.

My main concern came from experiences a couple of years ago when another US sporting goods company moved their production offshore.
K2 skis moved production offshore a few years back. I was using their product through a sponsorship and starting one season I had a rash of broken, delamination, and various other issues.
Turns out that that season they have moved production, and went as far as to ship wood from the US to the factory, to try and maintain the quality. shop dropped the line, and I have seen quite a few others drop the line as well. Don't know the actual sales figures they may sell more due to being cheaper, but have lost their appeal as being a high end quality built product.

TAH 73
08-21-2007, 09:36
I understand that people feel strongly about this, and I have to admit, when I first read this I was a little disapointed. However the truth of the matter is I didn't really take it into account when I purchased my Zeagle gear (see sig below). I understand why these things happen, and as long as Zeagle's quality controls are in place, and the BC's are being built to their specs then I will continue to support the product line. I quite honestly don't know where my Brigade was built, I do know it is built like a tank.

Going by the other post at the other board Brigade's being custom would be a US made. I got the impression that only the Ranger, not including the Ranger LTD was made offshore.

creggur
08-21-2007, 09:41
Going by the other post at the other board Brigade's being custom would be a US made. I got the impression that only the Ranger, not including the Ranger LTD was made offshore.

I would think since it's a Ranger harness, and a Escape bladder that it's probably made overseas..It's more of a hybrid than a custom...

Again It really doesn't matter to me, like I said the thing is built like a tank...

MEL-DC Diver
08-21-2007, 09:42
Nope, I believe that all the recreational BCs are made offshore, except for the Lazer and the LTD. All the custom (which would include the Brigade) and tec/special purpose BCs are still made in Zephyrhills. At least that's what I got out of the commentary on the other thread.

TAH 73
08-21-2007, 09:42

Could you explain more about this "Custom Program"? Is their a web site for this? I just ordered my brigade and envoy deluxes (due in today) so I guess its too late..but what does the program entail?

Here's the info for the Ranger, I am sure with conatcting ST or Zeagle other models may be accomodated as well.
http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?src=gendocs&link=Custom%20Colored%20Ranger&category=Specialized%20%20BCs

NitroWill
08-21-2007, 09:51

Here's the info for the Ranger, I am sure with conatcting ST or Zeagle other models may be accomodated as well.
http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?src=gendocs&link=Custom%20Colored%20Ranger&category=Specialized%20%20BCs

Good find! I wish I would have known about that before ordering my Brigade :( I wish theyd put the prices for the "custom" options too...

creggur
08-21-2007, 12:38
I guess the only question I would have for Scott is are all of the BCD's coming in inspected for quality before being shipped for retail, or do they take a sample from each shipment? Just wondering what the quality controls actually are??"

By the way my wife and I are basically decked out completely in Zeagle....Brigade, Zena, Envoy Deluxes', and Octo-Z's.. Thanks for the great products..

ScottZeagle
08-21-2007, 12:39
There are actually less quality issues with the stuff coming in from offshore.

It is 100% checked before it leaves, and once it gets here it is 100% quality checked before it is shipped.

Just like everything in life, sometimes you will get something that slips through the cracks, but I don't think you will find anyone who can say that we haven't taken care of any issues that have came up - regardless of where it was produced!

The custom program, thus far, has been for people who wanted a custom color scheme to the BC. I will work on getting a standard price for any "Zeagle BC made in the USA" and let you know what it is.

cgvmer
08-21-2007, 12:44
An extra quality assurance step is something many manufacturers skimp on but whether your getting product from a supplier in China, or Calif, adding a QA step is a win for the customer.

Zenagirl
08-21-2007, 13:54
As much as I hate to see Zeagle having their BCs manufactured out of the US, I am consoled by the confidence that I have in ScubaToys, Scott, and all the folks at Zeagle to always stand behind this gear.

Creggur and I have a lot in common...we're both decked out in our Zeagle dive gear....though my Zena WAS made in the US since it's 3 years old. :D

NitroWill
08-21-2007, 14:34
The custom program, thus far, has been for people who wanted a custom color scheme to the BC. I will work on getting a standard price for any "Zeagle BC made in the USA" and let you know what it is.

That'd be great! Im specifically interested in the cost of just a Brigade bladder in something other then black :smiley20:

ScubaToys Larry
08-21-2007, 14:40
At this point the single bladder (brigade / zena / escape) come in any color you like as long as you like black. It's the bagged bladders you can get color on the panels...

But Scott will probably chime in here and tell me I'm wrong!

NitroWill
08-21-2007, 14:42
At this point the single bladder (brigade / zena / escape) come in any color you like as long as you like black. It's the bagged bladders you can get color on the panels...

I Hope so! It'd be cool to have something different! My brigade just showed up at my door! :smiley20:

ScottZeagle
08-21-2007, 14:48

You are correct - the bladder is only available in black - but the vest, shoulder, waist panels can be made in any color that we offer!!!

My blue camo Stiletto has a black bladder, but is still cool as hell!!

:D

scubafreak
08-23-2007, 01:16
I was the one that originally posted the "Made In China" thread on Scuba Board and I am the first to admit defeat.

I have been diving in my Chinese made Ranger for about 3 months now and I love it. I have had no quality issues or any other issues. It is a VERY well made BCD and after 3 months of diving and washing it after every dive (I am anal when it comes to cleaning my gear) it still looks like it did when I first got it.

Well done Scott and all at Zeagle, you guys have found a decent manufacturer in China who delivers what YOU promise.

I would buy another Chinese Ranger in a flash if something happened to mine.