PDA

View Full Version : Reg Service Special

Straegen
02-03-2009, 09:06
I read somewhere if you buy the regs from ST you get a deal on getting them serviced. Is this true and if so what is the deal?

dallasdivergirl
02-03-2009, 09:17
I read somewhere if you buy the regs from ST you get a deal on getting them serviced. Is this true and if so what is the deal?

Hit (http://scubatoys.com/store/regs/regrepair.asp) this link and it will tell you all about it.

Just fill out the forms and send or bring in.

Straegen
02-03-2009, 09:30
I think if you buy your reg from them, you get a better price than that. I was just curious. I thought I read you basically get a reg and oct service for the price of their standard service.

Flatliner
02-03-2009, 10:10
I believe that 49.95 is reg and octo if you buy it from them or not. Great deal in my opinion. I bought mine from them and have had them serviced by them. Also, my son's were bought used, serviced by them. Great service either way.

Straegen
02-03-2009, 10:18
Good to know but their repair section says octos are an additional $20. They may waive that for regular customers though.

navyhmc
02-03-2009, 10:25
Good to know but their repair section says octos are an additional $20. They may waive that for regular customers though.

From the Reg service page:

Our trained technicians will do a total scuba regulator repair, or annual overhaul of your scuba regulator for just $49.95 (Plus parts if applicable). A Scuba Regulator Repair, also known as a Scuba Annual Service will include a complete disassembly, sonic cleaning of all metal parts, replacing or inspection and cleaning of all internal components, lubing, and re-assembling the regulators, 1st and 2nd stage and your octo (Octo inflators are a $19.95 additional charge). We will also check, lube and replace your HP Gauge o-rings and spool, All batteries will be replaced at a cost of $9.95 each unless otherwise noted or with the exception of none user replaceable batteries. Then your regulator will be cycled multiple times to assure proper seating of the internal components. After the break in, it will be fine tuned and adjusted to specs on our flow bench.

They serviced mine last year and did an outstanding job!:smiley20::smiley20:

ScubaToys Larry
02-03-2009, 10:26

No, that includes the octo... it says octo/inflator combos are $20 more. But for a full reg set up - it's 49.95 and parts are free if under warranty.

ReefHound
02-03-2009, 10:26
I think if you buy your reg from them, you get a better price than that. I was just curious. I thought I read you basically get a reg and oct service for the price of their standard service.

You also get free parts with many regs that you buy from them.

The page says the $49.95 includes 1st and 2nd stage and your octo. An "octo inflater" that is $20 extra is a combined BC inflater/octo like an Air II.

Edited to add: I guess Larry is about 30 seconds faster than me.

navyhmc
02-03-2009, 10:28
Wow! I even beat Larry!!! :smiley36:

ScubaToys Larry
02-03-2009, 10:44
Wow! I even beat Larry!!! :smiley36:

It's the lightening quick reflexes from the military training... us civies don't stand a chance.

Straegen
02-03-2009, 11:15
Missed that Inflator part... I should red more bester.

CamaroChick
02-04-2009, 14:09
Any tips on sending a reg through the mail to get it serviced? I shutter at the thought of letting a disgruntled postal employee touch my gear. I'm thinking tons of bubble wrap and insurance :smiley2:

CompuDude
02-04-2009, 14:21
Any tips on sending a reg through the mail to get it serviced? I shutter at the thought of letting a disgruntled postal employee touch my gear. I'm thinking tons of bubble wrap and insurance :smiley2:

Pretty much.

fireflock
02-04-2009, 14:57
Regardless of where you bought your gear, it got there by something like the USPS or UPS. I'm not sure if you bought a new reg and were able to see the original box (some shops take them out of the box and assemble them first) but there isn't a ton of packing material in there.

CompuDude
02-04-2009, 15:15
Regardless of where you bought your gear, it got there by something like the USPS or UPS. I'm not sure if you bought a new reg and were able to see the original box (some shops take them out of the box and assemble them first) but there isn't a ton of packing material in there.

Those that I've seen have been in precisely made cardboard cutouts, however, that are probably more trouble than they're worth to recreate with a pair of scissors. :smiley36:

Also, retail packaged boxes tend to come packed in another, external protective box, to keep the outside shiny and pretty.

Regardless, some bubble wrap in a sturdy shipping box does the job nicely.

fireflock
02-04-2009, 15:31
I agree, just pointing out that your reg has already been shipped at least once.

I lay each piece (1st stage, each 2nd stage, etc.) of my on a piece of bubble wrap and tape it up. Then, I coil the hoses nicely and wrap the whole thing in a great big piece of bubble wrap. From there, it goes in the box and off to the UPS guy.

The USPS scares me a little for something like this, but the flat rate boxes are about the right size if you decide to go that route.

CamaroChick
02-04-2009, 15:44
Those that I've seen have been in precisely made cardboard cutouts, however, that are probably more trouble than they're worth to recreate with a pair of scissors. :smiley36:

Now THAT would be funny to watch! Me trying to fashion a cardboard holder for the thing...

Yes it has been shipped at least twice - once to ST and then to me. I think I will do UPS - USPS's tracking SUCKS! :smiley11:

CompuDude
02-04-2009, 16:41

Now THAT would be funny to watch! Me trying to fashion a cardboard holder for the thing...

Yes it has been shipped at least twice - once to ST and then to me. I think I will do UPS - USPS's tracking SUCKS! :smiley11:

Perhaps it's a result of living in a major urban center, but I find UPS's tracking to be pretty pathetic as well. Far too many issues with package delivery via UPS... FedEx has been much more reliable, and the price tend to be within a couple bucks.

dannybot
02-04-2009, 19:18

Yes it's true, I sent mine (shamefully bought elsewhere) and got is serviced for the regular price, but when I sent in my wife's (bought there) is was the same price! So no discount, but a good price, fast service and free return shipping.

I put my regs in a reg bag, padded with tissue paper, then put the reg bag in a cardboard box and pad around it with more paper. Be sure to insure it for replacement value incase it is lost, we recently sent a care package to my son at college, it was empty when it arrived. UPS told me they won't pay for breakage if items are not in original packaging, so make sure to pad well.

Straegen
02-05-2009, 01:38
Roll it in 1" foam then put it in a box with a bunch of styro peanuts on all sides preferably several inches. You could play soccer with that and it wouldn't damage the contents. Air cells are fine as well, but styro has better large impact dispersion and foam is great for the small bumps. Combined they are hard to beat for shipping. Packing up lots of harddrives taught me a thing or two about shipping.

heydn62
02-06-2009, 16:35
I think I will do UPS - USPS's tracking SUCKS! :smiley11:

I ordered some diving weights and the message I got 8 days ago is the same message I get today:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on January 29, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

I've received virtually the same message each time I've used USPS in the last couple of years, and it doesn't get updated until long after my item has arrived.

Fourty-two cents is a great bargain to get a piece of mail delivered all the way across the country. But for any kind of package I'm going with UPS (slight bias due to Fed-Ex losing the IPOD I ordered for my daughter for Christmas).

Bill22
02-07-2009, 12:48
Since my address is a FPO, I'm stuck with USPS. Having said that, with one exception (an order from Galls who are notorious for being late with things), I've always received orders in a very timely manner. I order from the internet all the time and generally have my items in 1-2 weeks here in Japan if they're shipped Priority mail.

I just shipped one of my ports back to Ikelite for repair and will be sending my spare regulator in for service soon (spare since I got my new regulator set :)). Some good tips here on packaging :)

cutter77
02-08-2009, 19:43
I've had fantastic service and response from sending my gear off to Scubatoys.....and when I get it back, IT WORKS!

heydn62
02-10-2009, 15:41
I think I will do UPS - USPS's tracking SUCKS! :smiley11:

I ordered some diving weights and the message I got 8 days ago is the same message I get today:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on January 29, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

I've received virtually the same message each time I've used USPS in the last couple of years, and it doesn't get updated until long after my item has arrived.

Fourty-two cents is a great bargain to get a piece of mail delivered all the way across the country. But for any kind of package I'm going with UPS (slight bias due to Fed-Ex losing the IPOD I ordered for my daughter for Christmas).

Update:

Weights arrived yesterday. On-line tracking updated today to tell me they are here. :smiley32: This was the first follow-up to the original message posted above.

Their tracking isn't much help, but I can say I've never had them lose a package. It did take over a month this year to deliver a Christmas card from my sister, who lives on the other side of town. It was postmarked Dec. 22 and my address was correct. :smiley5: