PDA

View Full Version : Aeris ATMOS ai vs. Oceanic Pro Plus 2

lucidblue
07-09-2007, 21:39
I've read both spec sheets and other detailed info and I'm not really seeing any difference between the two except for the actual design of the computer. I've held the ATMOS and had a demonstration of it in person and like the feel of it. The shape and size are great.
I'm really only considering the Pro Plus 2 because it's part of a package deal ScubaToys is offering. Has anyone used either one?

ScubaToys Joe
07-09-2007, 21:53
Ok... wanna know a secret... Don't tell anyone... Same computer.

Yup.. Oceanic and Aeris are really the same company, slight cosmetic changes for marketing purposes, much like "would you like to buy a chevy truck, or a GMC pickup". Same truck - different grill.

So if there is one you like better - fear not. Just give me a call in the morning and I'll swap out either computer into the package for you.

Joe
ScubaToys.com

lucidblue
07-09-2007, 22:09
Great Thanks!

I knew they were the same company, but figured I might just be missing something as far as functionality. You'll notice I sent an email earlier this evening (before I knew about the board) with amyriadof questions.

Doug B
07-09-2007, 22:11
I've got a PP2, twenty some dives on it, and and I really like it.

Be sure to get the quick-disconnect option and the "compass in the stock".

I was a little concerned about the reported "25 hours of life" from the batteries. I bought a second battery. I've found out later, of course, that most folks (who dive a LOT) can easily get a year out of a battery.

One suggestion (and I should make some of these and sell to Larry and Joe to put on thier website), is that I made a "protective plate" that prevents the buttons from being pushed when the computer is being stored in my regulator bag. It installs/removes in about three seconds. The plate also keeps the screen protected during storage.

creggur
07-10-2007, 08:36
Yup.. Oceanic and Aeris are really the same company, slight cosmetic changes for marketing purposes, much like "would you like to buy a chevy truck, or a GMC pickup". Same truck - different grill.

Joe
ScubaToys.com

I figured this one out when researching computers and saw that Oceanic and Aeris' websites were basically indentical, and they used the exact same verbage in the marketing descriptions for their computers...

adjuster-jd
07-10-2007, 22:11
I have the Pro Plus 2 - have used one since about 2003. Nice big display is a real plus - one of my buddies dives this same computer and I can see his air pressure with a quick glance over his shoulder.
User interface is easy to understand and seems pretty logical.

I think the big selling feature about this computer is the big display. Very easy to read.
I have had a couple problems with mine and Oceanic replaced them without problem..

mmakay
07-11-2007, 16:55
Get the Aeris! The angled hose is brilliant. I clip it off to a ring on my right breast, and it's at the perfect angle to read without needing a retractor. Streamlined, simple, and reliable.

I do wish the download software was more ... um ... polished. (that is being VERY polite) But, you'll have that issue with either computer. Again, same stuff with different logos.

lucidblue
07-11-2007, 21:13
Ordered the Aeris, can't wait to use it!

aramisun
07-13-2007, 20:44
Ordered the Aeris, can't wait to use it! They also use the same download cable, which you should get when you buy the computer. Although, if you forget, I'm sure they will give you the same deal later.
I have the Oceanic PP2 and love it. I also have the Atmos 2 wrist mounted.
It's great having just one cable, although it isn't the best at getting a solid connection every time.
You can download an updated beta version of the software There is a link over on SB ui the Oceanic forum.

bperrybap
07-19-2007, 00:11
Larry sold a pair of Aeris AIs to me and my wife about 2 years ago.
We've put around 120 dives on them and still love them.

One thing that isn't documented is that when in nitrox mode and
the air pressure drops to 0, nitrox 50% mode is turned on if you
have it enabled. This accidentally burned me a on a liveaboard.
Because there is no indication that this has happened.
The computer assumes that if the pressure drops to 0 that you might
be switching tanks and to be safe it treats it like a new dive/tank.
(normally this is a good thing)

I had set up my gear before lunch, set my FO2, then turned
the tank valve off during lunch. Then when I did a purge test
when gearing up the pressure dropped to zero since I hadn't yet
turned on my tank. Bingo! my FO2 setting was silently lost.
First indication is some O2 alarms going off.
(You can't dive very deep on 50% O2......)

Anyway, its not really a big deal, its just something you need
to watch out to avoid that is not documented in the manual.

--- bill

Rascal1933
07-19-2007, 19:39
Re: Ordered the Aeris, can't wait to use it!

Hey There lucidblue,

Good call on the Aeris Atmos ; I have the same Computer & Luvin it

Zenagirl
07-20-2007, 19:52
Good point Bill, and definitely something to be aware of. Because of this feature, my husband and I turned theFO2default toOFF on our recent liveaboard trip. It saved us a lot of hassles and the computer kept whatever the last nitrox setting was, saving us from having to always reset it since we pretty consistently got a 32% blend.

I love my Aeris AI, have had it for over 3 years and although I wouldn't mind going hoseless, I can't justify giving up such a great computer that I really love. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 16:19
Pro Plus II is for old eyes

TommyB
07-21-2007, 16:51
One thing that isn't documented is that when in nitrox mode and
the air pressure drops to 0, nitrox 50% mode is turned on if you
have it enabled. This accidentally burned me a on a liveaboard.
Because there is no indication that this has happened.
The computer assumes that if the pressure drops to 0 that you might
be switching tanks and to be safe it treats it like a new dive/tank.
(normally this is a good thing)

I had set up my gear before lunch, set my FO2, then turned
the tank valve off during lunch. Then when I did a purge test
when gearing up the pressure dropped to zero since I hadn't yet
turned on my tank. Bingo! my FO2 setting was silently lost.
First indication is some O2 alarms going off.
(You can't dive very deep on 50% O2......)

Anyway, its not really a big deal, its just something you need
to watch out to avoid that is not documented in the manual.
--- bill

So should this 50% 02 default be turned off?
My wife has the Vt3 and I have the Elite T3, same computers, just differnt cosmetics.
I know they are both by default on.
Other then the Nitrox gases, when turning it to off, what other functions will it change?

thanks

Lucky(AR)
07-22-2007, 10:13
i just got a steal on a hoseless aeires atmos elite can wait to get it

bordhead
07-23-2007, 23:17
aeries AI user here and love it...

bperrybap
07-24-2007, 01:46
I think F02 50 mode comes down to a personal preference.
The computer is trying to remove a potential incorrect FO2 setting
by trying to figure out when a dive ends or a tank is being swapped
out.

The idea was that if you "forgot" to set your FO2 value, the
computer would pick a set of parameters (50% O2, 79% N2) which
are worst case for N2 loading and O2 toxicity, which will force you to
stay very shallow, or terminate your dive to set the FO2 value
properly.

The initial problem that I ran into is only an issue for the air integrated units
like the AI, Pro Plus 2, Vt3 etc... The non air units will only set FO2 to 50
after a dive ends.

It happened to me twice (on different trips).
On the second time, the alarms started in the first minute or so
of the dive. I immediately
knew what the problem was and I convinced my wife to surface
so I could reset my F02. Turns out, you then have to wait 10
minutes at the surface bobbing around for the initial dive to "end"
before you change your F02 value.
I then reset my F02 and we started our dive.
Then, wouldn't you know it, the 10 minute surface time caused her
F02 to be set to 50, and my wife forgot to reset her F02.
We ended up doing a shallow dive.
(You can dive to around 40 ft in this mode).

So after this experience, we both now disable the FO2 50 mode.
We always set our FO2 values and check each others computer
settings during analyzing and during our pre-dive checks. So for
us, the FO2 50 mode is a "feature" that sometimes gets in the way
so we disable it.

I like the concept of the FO2 50 mode, I just think that the computer
should indicate indicate that it is in this mode before you hit
the water or start your dive. As it is now, under certain conditions,
the computer will silently override your valid FO2 setting and you
have no idea that this happened until you start to get O2 tox alarms.

My suggestion to Oceanic was to blink the [Nitrox] icon on the display
when in this mode. This would alert the diver to the need to reset
his FO2.

Seems very simple but I don't think they are moving in this direction.

--- bill

CaribbeanDiver
08-31-2007, 14:57
does the Oceanic PP2 have someway to attach a boltsnap or clip to it so it doesnt just hang?

Vegas
08-31-2007, 15:09
I dive with the Aeris Atmos AI, so does my buddy, and our two best friends have them also....reviews? We all love this computer! - (we saved not having to each buy our own download cables too).

As for the automatically returning to the 50% / 79% setting - we discovered that on our second dive during our Nitrox class. Thanks for the info about being able to turn this option off....I'll consider it, and decide if that's what I want to do or not -- but tis so good to know I have the option!

It looks like you said you decided to go ahead with this computer? -- I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. --- I give it two thumbs up!

lucidblue
09-01-2007, 17:29
I have about 6 quarry dives on it so far, can't wait to get it in some warm blue water! Definitely like it so far. One thing that bothers me though is it seems if you hit 20ft it will automatically go into safety stop mode, which I didn't want it to do. Then it didn't go into the safety stop mode at the end of a dive. I only experienced this once when I was diving around a plane that was in shallower water. My buddy has the same computer and it happened to him too. Not sure if there was a way to prevent that, since we haven't used the computers that much yet. They could work on the software too. I'll probably get some other software and import the data.

Zenagirl
09-02-2007, 07:32
Yeah, the automatic safety stop thing is a little annoying when you're diving shallow, but you get used to it and simply use the clock feature for a safety stop. I found that if I was diving a site that had stuff at 20 feet to look at, I'd just plan on doing an extended amount of shallow snooping as my safety stop and not worry about the countdown.

starsfan96
09-06-2007, 22:52
Okay so yes the computer is vertually the same, but you have to look at packageing. My dad purchased a Pro Plus the same time i Purchased my Aeris Atmos ai. My dad thinks his is a little too big, and clunky. As my aeris fits nicely in my hand while diving, while having just big enough display. So my suggestion is look at which casing you like better and go w/ that model. But its a great computer, i have about 10 dives on mine so far and its is awesome i love it.

lucidblue
09-06-2007, 22:55
Okay so yes the computer is vertually the same, but you have to look at packageing. My dad purchased a Pro Plus the same time i Purchased my Aeris Atmos ai. My dad thinks his is a little too big, and clunky. As my aeris fits nicely in my hand while diving, while having just big enough display. So my suggestion is look at which casing you like better and go w/ that model. But its a great computer, i have about 10 dives on mine so far and its is awesome i love it.

I agree, the compact size with a readable screen, was pretty why I went with the Atmos ai.

Zenagirl
09-07-2007, 07:11
Agreed, I prefer the more compact size that fits perfectly in my hand, and even allows me to navigate with the attached compass while being able to see the computer face.

My husband has the Pro+2 which we affectionately call "the brick". :D

No Misses
09-07-2007, 10:25
Aeris Atmos AI here. I have been diving this DC for ~4 years (>300 Dives) I get roughly 2 yrs out of the battery. I had some trouble with my first Atmos about 100 dives into it's life. The display was getting very dim and you could not read it (yes I changed the battery to see if that was the problem). I sent it back to Aeris and they replaced it. The new one has been working great. The download software has come a long way in the last 4 years. Some of the features that I like the most are...
SAC rate calculation. Just enter your tanks capacity (80 cf) and Working pressure (3000) and the software will do the rest.
Ability to link dive notes and pictures to each dive. The old sw used to create separate text files for each. Now it is part of the database file.
The ability to run queries in the database ie: deepest, longest, best SAC, Worst SAC, etc.
I no longer keep a paper log book. Anything that I want to note is entered into the DC database. If I am going on a new dive trip I print out the "History" page to show the operator if they ask for it (nobody ever has asked). It shows total lifetime dives, Last 6 months, last 12 months, Extremes (deepest, longest, warmest, coldest, best vis, worst vis, lowest SAC, Highest SAC).

I think you made a good choice :-) this a great DC.