PDA

View Full Version : Diver Log book

greyzen
08-20-2007, 21:18
So I know most of the hardest of hardcore don't log much anymore, but for us still ramping our downtime we need a place to store our 'resume of underwater'.

I've noticed that there seem to be like three main books, I'm wondering...

Does the price-point start at "Whatever your LDS says" or are their options?

/discuss :D

Illini_Fan
08-20-2007, 21:22
Always options -- I took the route of creating my own log sheets in MS Word. Each log is one half a page and I duplex the printing so I get four per sheet of paper. I went to Office Depot and bought the really thick 100lb paper and an inexpensive zippered portfolio with binder clips. The whole thing was less than $20. and I can customize my logs to capture items that I record dive after dive.

For instance, the NAUI log book given with OW class does ask for temp, exposure protection or weighting to be recorded. It does provide a Notes section, but since I record that for every dive, I customized my self-made log and created spots specifically for that information.

MEL-DC Diver
08-20-2007, 21:24
I got tired of going in buying those rinky-dink log books. Most of them are half-filled with reminders, tips, overly detailed pages of training specific verbiage, etc., so I just got a plain empty notebook and began recording what I thought were the important parts of my dives. There are also pages out there that you can just photocopy and insert into a binder - I'll see if I can find one around my pc.

Actually, here is one I just pulled off the web (Quarry Commando).

Illini_Fan
08-20-2007, 21:27
this is the log I created

Larry / Joe: if this is anyway a copywrite issue with NAUI, please delete. I doubt it but......

greyzen
08-20-2007, 21:33
That is a lot smarter than I was thinking.

I'm sitting here looking around at office stores trying to figure out how to convert a notebook into a dive notebook, should be creating my own diver logs...

I love the idea of including space for a picture and maybe a map of my dive area!

superkingkong
08-20-2007, 21:39
self-created one.. more economical :)

bperrybap
08-20-2007, 23:34
I've used several different types.
My current favorite that I use now is this one:
Aqua Explorer Divers Log (http://www.aquaexplorers.com/log_book.htm)
It is very compact, doesn't crinkle pages if they get a few
drops of water on them and holds 100 dives.
You can find them a bit cheaper than the manufactures site
if you look around a bit.

--- bill

somewhereinla
08-20-2007, 23:43
Contrary to popular belief, the log book is not a resume for your LDS. It is for yourself, it can be in any format you wish.

superkingkong
08-21-2007, 02:27
well, some says it's useful in an emergency, ppl can refer to it, it'll show them your recent diving history...

picxie
08-21-2007, 05:12
I'm a bit of a geek ... I like my logbook all in the same format etc. I have one more section of 'bought' logs that I want (it's the SSI ones and they are colour coded!) then I'll probably convert to a homemade sort (which will also co-incide with the room available in my logbook - ie, there won't be any room left!).

The downside with bought ones is that they are sooooo expensive.

Jaymeany
08-21-2007, 05:30
when i bought my log binder it came with pages which i am going to scan then print then punch holes and I'm spent! very consistent. until next summer i will still be working out of the padi log book.

TxScubaBear
08-21-2007, 06:44
Illini Fan, nicely done, clean and simple.

Illini_Fan
08-21-2007, 07:21
Illini Fan, nicely done, clean and simple.

Thank you kind sir :smiley20:

Buoyant1
08-21-2007, 07:45
I use the books for at the site stats, and "autographs"...I download my dive computer to my home computer, and print out the sheets, and stick them in sheet protectors with my notes, etc. and keep them in a binder as my "main" log. The little books are just good for notes, and carrying to the site for the ops to check out if they need it.

greyzen
08-21-2007, 09:35
Yeah, I like the idea of carrying one when I go out... keeping information like good parking, neat stuff to see, maybe a picture of the stuff I've seen.
I've just not seen a "dive book proper" that I want to carry with me everywhere...

Having a picture of a giant shark, a nitrox symbol, or a big loud diveflag just seems a bit over the top for me :)

mark44883
08-25-2007, 17:54
i get a napkin from where i been eating that day

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 17:57
I have a little binder with a pirate on it from Innovation scuba. however, he had a purple bandanna on so I grabbed the sharpie and took care of that. Anyways, do you need to have you log signed by someone for it to be valid?

Zenagirl
08-26-2007, 08:30
We bought one of those little 3 ring binder log books when we got certified. Now we keep our most recent 50-75 dives and use pages from dive-logs.com. I log every single one of our dives, including critter sightings because there's nothing better than going back and reading the pages later and remembering.

Texas Girl
08-26-2007, 09:29
Mine looks very similar to MEL-DC's, except it goes the long way down instead of across. It has enough space at the bottom that I can sketch in the topography of the site. I have also copied dive site maps, for example a map listing all the sites around Saba, and put that with my logs from that trip. I have a page for certifications (what, when, instructor) and one for equipment (what I bought, where, how much). I use one of those day-planner type notebooks, and it also has an insert for business cards that I get from dive shops and address book pages that I also use for dive shops and other things of interest.

scubasamurai
08-26-2007, 19:26
i hate to say it, but i still use the padi dive log, blue and red . but i do have a computer log developing to record and make information easier to find if i go back to a certain dive site. but since i am still a rookie i can remember most information, including where the nude beaches are.