PDA

View Full Version : Traveling Ladies

dallasdivergirl
02-04-2009, 15:06
I found this article (http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/22234/28585-10-tips-wandering)today and I thought it had some good advice for traveling or wandering women.

This tip was my favorite:

"Some women wear fake wedding bands and carry photos of hulky men they call husbands to ward off advances. I try to learn key phrases in the local language. (“I’m meeting my boyfriend here. He is a lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps,” is a useful one.) Public guilt/humiliation is the best way to deal with men who molest you on crowded buses or subways. Loudly and firmly, say: “How would you like it if someone treated your wife/daughter/sister like that?” or simply: “Shame on you!” Chances are, your fellow passengers will come to your rescue. (If you turn around and slug him, they likely will not.)"

I can see Lulebelle trying out the Marine corps one but using it as her brother is one...:smiley20:

Lulubelle
02-04-2009, 16:55
I found this article (http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/22234/28585-10-tips-wandering)today and I thought it had some good advice for traveling or wandering women.

"Some women wear fake wedding bands and carry photos of hulky men they call husbands to ward off advances. I try to learn key phrases in the local language. (“I’m meeting my boyfriend here. He is a lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps,” is a useful one.) Public guilt/humiliation is the best way to deal with men who molest you on crowded buses or subways. Loudly and firmly, say: “How would you like it if someone treated your wife/daughter/sister like that?” or simply: “Shame on you!” Chances are, your fellow passengers will come to your rescue. (If you turn around and slug him, they likely will not.)"

I can see Lulebelle trying out the Marine corps one but using it as her brother is one...:smiley20:

Thanks Dallas!!!

Darling, I am taller than most of the world's men. I am now pretty strong too. That means that I have as much muscle mass as they do, being female, mostly in the legs. I might very well just take them on myself. Guess I am a bit cocky now that my trainer has got me doing some kickboxing. :smiley20:

I do wear a wedding ring when traveling solo in between friend's homes in Italy. They are still too Catholic to muck around with someone else's wife...

And I have learned to say some really insulting things in Italian when needed. Funny what the Italians get offended by :smiley36: Mother comments work pretty well. Comments about their wife stepping out on them work even better. Size comments are reserved only for the most dire circumstances.

Only place I ever felt unsafe while traveling solo was in Paris after a friend's wedding. Ended up having to stay the night in a whorehouse outside of Gare du Nord.

dallasdivergirl
02-04-2009, 17:51

Darling, I am taller than most of the world's men. I am now pretty strong too. That means that I have as much muscle mass as they do, being female, mostly in the legs. I might very well just take them on myself. Guess I am a bit cocky now that my trainer has got me doing some kickboxing. :smiley20:

I do wear a wedding ring when traveling solo in between friend's homes in Italy. Many of them seem to find me appealing for *some* reason but they are still too Catholic to muck around with someone else's wife.

And I have learned to say some really insulting things in Italian when needed. Funny what the Italians get offended by :smiley36: Mother comments work pretty well. Comments about their wife stepping out on them work even better. Size comments are reserved only for the most dire circumstances.

Only place I ever felt unsafe while traveling solo was in Paris after a friend's wedding. Ended up having to stay the night in a whorehouse outside of Gare du Nord.

I do forget you are an Amazon:smiley36:

I have to agree that the most unsafe place I ever felt was Paris and it was in my hotel. I put a book against the door since it felt like it didn't lock well so that I would have an audible notice if someone tried anything. Just got a chance to sleep (can't sleep on planes) and the sound of my book hitting the floor after some one had opened the door woke me wide awake. They were long gone by the time I got the chance to go look. We had booked two hotels for the stay (we left Paris to follow the tour de France for a few days) and we went to the other hotel to see if it was any safer looking. It had the same clerk working as the first one!!! We ended up staying at a Holiday Inn that was a former palace, very safe and huge room by comparison. I will say we got the handicap room and it had the longest bathtub I have ever seen. It was crazy.

Lulubelle
02-04-2009, 22:40
I am an Amazon I guess at 5'10". Maybe that is why only my little bro has ever thrown a punch on my behalf. :smiley36:

Funny that it was Paris, the City of Love that made us both feel that way. :smiley13:

My scary Paris whorehouse was really a whorehouse! I had missed my train connection after having left a multi day wedding in Brittany (as an aside,we know NOTHING about how to party down at a wedding). I found myself at the Gare du Nord at 3am and there were no more trains south until the morning. The station was emptying rapidly and I went with the crowd rather than finding myself in an empty station. Gare du Nord is in the Red Light district. So I walk across the street, nothing was open, and went into the first hotel I could find. I paid cash up front as was the custom in such a place, went inside to not sleep, and was on another train at 8.

On the return to Paris a week or so later,I was walking through the Tuileries gardens during the middle of the day. There weren't too many people about except me and some fellow who was sitting on a park bench as I was walking by. You do not want to know what he was doing as I walked by. City of Love my a..

With that being said, I LOVE the rest of France, just not Paris!

dallasdivergirl
02-05-2009, 08:42
I am an Amazon I guess at 5'10". Maybe that is why only my little bro has ever thrown a punch on my behalf. :smiley36:

Funny that it was Paris, the City of Love that made us both feel that way. :smiley13:

My scary Paris whorehouse was really a whorehouse! I had missed my train connection after having left a multi day wedding in Brittany (as an aside,we know NOTHING about how to party down at a wedding). I found myself at the Gare du Nord at 3am and there were no more trains south until the morning. The station was emptying rapidly and I went with the crowd rather than finding myself in an empty station. Gare du Nord is in the Red Light district. So I walk across the street, nothing was open, and went into the first hotel I could find. I paid cash up front as was the custom in such a place, went inside to not sleep, and was on another train at 8.

On the return to Paris a week or so later,I was walking through the Tuileries gardens during the middle of the day. There weren't too many people about except me and some fellow who was sitting on a park bench as I was walking by. You do not want to know what he was doing as I walked by. City of Love my a..

I did not really enjoy Paris that much. The waiters were rude. Even the ice cream guy. The best thing I did find was chocolate croissants. Oh devine....I had several of those for breakfast each morning. And one chocolate shop that made some amazing confections.

We did go to Epernay. It was beautiful there and the people were friendly. The Tour de France was a complete circus. I still have magnets that they threw from the sponser cars. That was the place of my first toilet that was a hole in the ground. Amsterdam was very friendly. Ended up at a neighborhood cafes talking with the locals for hours. London was good as well. I discovered Jermyn street, the shirt maker street. I could have spent so much money there. I did discover Thomas Pink (http://www.thomaspink.com/pws/Home.ice). I was so mad when they opened a Pink shop in the mall next to my apartment.

cowgirldiver
02-05-2009, 10:05
In my early years of traveling, I didn't believe in reservations. We would just go and find someplace when we were ready to stop. On a trip to California, we stopped in Vegas for the night-just so happened there was a Baptist convention there (which I'll never understand) and the Hearns-Hagler fight (that dates it doesn't it). Needless to say, all the big hotels laughed in our faces when we tried to get a room-finally found one down at the end of the strip-the Jamaica hotel or something. It really makes you think when there is a chain to go around the doorknob and the bathroom was one of those where you walk in and turn right back around. Then there was the time we went down to Dallas/Ft Worth to Six Flags-again no reservation/no room to be found. We finally found one and I guess we should have keyed in to the fact that there were hourly rates.....it was quite exciting when some guy was pounding on our door in the middle of the night looking for his wife!!!

emt
02-05-2009, 14:33
I was surprised the average height of men in the U.S wasn't more. But I did go to Wiki & read the chart.
This is an interesting correlation in Wiki:determined by a combination of genetics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetics) and environmental factors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_factor). Genetic potential plus nutrition minus stressors is a basic formula. Genetically speaking, the heights of mother and son and of father and daughter correlate, suggesting that a short mother will more likely bear a shorter son, and tall fathers will have tall daughters.[64 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height#cite_note-63)

Zeagle Eagle
02-05-2009, 17:00
I was surprised the average height of men in the U.S wasn't more. But I did go to Wiki & read the chart.
This is an interesting correlation in Wiki:determined by a combination of genetics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetics) and environmental factors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_factor). Genetic potential plus nutrition minus stressors is a basic formula. Genetically speaking, the heights of mother and son and of father and daughter correlate, suggesting that a short mother will more likely bear a shorter son, and tall fathers will have tall daughters.[64 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height#cite_note-63)
Genetically speaking, chances are if your parents didn't have children neither will you.

Splitlip
02-05-2009, 17:05
. There weren't too many people about except me and some fellow who was sitting on a park bench as I was walking by. You do not want to know what he was doing as I walked by. City of Love my a..

He was loving himself, n'est pas?

Splitlip
02-05-2009, 17:06
Genetically speaking, chances are if your parents didn't have children neither will you.
:smilie39:

Splitlip
02-05-2009, 17:10

I did not really enjoy Paris that much. The waiters were rude. Even the ice cream guy. The best thing I did find was chocolate croissants. Oh devine....I had several of those for breakfast each morning. And one chocolate shop that made some amazing confections.

We did go to Epernay. It was beautiful there and the people were friendly. The Tour de France was a complete circus. I still have magnets that they threw from the sponser cars. That was the place of my first toilet that was a hole in the ground. Amsterdam was very friendly. Ended up at a neighborhood cafes talking with the locals for hours. London was good as well. I discovered Jermyn street, the shirt maker street. I could have spent so much money there. I did discover Thomas Pink (http://www.thomaspink.com/pws/Home.ice). I was so mad when they opened a Pink shop in the mall next to my apartment.

I do not know why the French hate us. Probably because we choose not to speak any language but the "international" language (English). They have short memories I guess.

The Dutch on the other hand are very good to Americans. They remember. Even their youth.

Lulubelle
02-05-2009, 18:31
The best thing I did find was chocolate croissants. Oh devine....I had several of those for breakfast each morning... That was the place of my first toilet that was a hole in the ground. Amsterdam was very friendly. .

I hate you.:smiley5: That toilet/hole is a special moment in a girl's life, isn't it? Mine was at a train station in Liguria, Italy.

and tall fathers will have tall daughters.[64 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height#cite_note-63)

Who knew, I didn't. Dad was 6'5", 13AA shoe.

I do not know why the French hate us. Probably because we choose not to speak any language but the "international" language (English). They have short memories I guess.

The Dutch on the other hand are very good to Americans. They remember. Even their youth.

Oh, I don't think the French hate us, only the Parisians. I was warmly welcomed by the French. A family who were friends with the bride (I knew the groom) took me home in Brittany for 4 days after the wedding and treated me like an old friend. Hospitality was extended to me everywhere I went, except Paris. I even had the blue eyed black haired chef/owner of a little cafe in the south (Arles) feeding me creme brulee one night. He got busted for his hospitality when the wife walked in though.

Of course the Dutch are good to us. We buy a lot of pot and hash in their coffee bars. They have an interesting culture. Had an ex from Rotterdam.

Diver Kat
02-05-2009, 23:27
Genetically speaking, the heights of mother and son and of father and daughter correlate, suggesting that a short mother will more likely bear a shorter son, and tall fathers will have tall daughters.[64 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height#cite_note-63)Guess that works .... hubby is 6'4" and daughter is a hair under 6' ... I'm 5'4" so good thing I didn't have any boys! They'd all have had Napoleon complexes!:smiley13:

John Yaskowich
02-06-2009, 06:41
Then there was the time we went down to Dallas/Ft Worth to Six Flags-again no reservation/no room to be found. We finally found one and I guess we should have keyed in to the fact that there were hourly rates.....it was quite exciting when some guy was pounding on our door in the middle of the night looking for his wife!!!

Reminds me of my first trip to Montreal. I arrived fairly late at night and was looking for a hotel (like you, no reservation). I was very young and innocent so I did not clue in when the clerk looked shocked that I wanted the room for the WHOLE night. ("I guess we can do that. Let me check what the rate will be.") Interesting site in the morning, too: Some guy sleeping in a coffin in the lobby, with a woman handcuffed to the coffin handle.

Vercingetorix
02-06-2009, 07:41
I spent three years in Germany. During one of our tours to France, we visited the Normandy coast. The guide informed us that "although the rest of France may be rude to Americans, you will not find that attitude here. These people still remember."

Lulubelle
02-07-2009, 08:39
Yeah, I think everyone should make a pilgrimage there. Stunningly beautiful place. I don't care how many times one reads the history of our wars, you can't even imagine what it is like to see those (not sure of the number) 25,000 headstones above the cliffs near the ocean. There are several this size or greater in Europe. The world would be such a different place without those events. There wouldn't be a France as we know it.

I think the resentment of the US that we sometimes see in younger people is related to what they see as the swallowing of their culture by American culture, McDonald's, Coca Cola, American business, etc. They are linguistic perfectionists and proud of their language and the numbers speaking it are dropping.

Hey, I love France, just not Paris. For that matter, I don't love New York, much more charming cities stateside.

I spent three years in Germany. During one of our tours to France, we visited the Normandy coast. The guide informed us that "although the rest of France may be rude to Americans, you will not find that attitude here. These people still remember."

Splitlip
02-07-2009, 08:56
Hey. Was that a shot?

For that matter, I don't love New York...

Lulubelle
02-07-2009, 09:05
No, I just don't love New York like some people. Lots of big cities that I find more charming and interesting, Boston, DC, Chicago etc.

Hey. Was that a shot?

For that matter, I don't love New York...

Splitlip
02-07-2009, 14:35
Yeah, I think everyone should make a pilgrimage there. Stunningly beautiful place. I don't care how many times one reads the history of our wars, you can't even imagine what it is like to see those (not sure of the number) 25,000 headstones above the cliffs near the ocean. There are several this size or greater in Europe. The world would be such a different place without those events. There wouldn't be a France as we know it.

Let us not forget the "Greatest Generation".

Our parents and Grandparents. (OK, I suppose for some of you, Great Grandparents.)

They are passing on now. I have made friends with a Ranger who scaled the cliffs on D-Day (5 purple hearts, 2 Bronze Stars, 1 silver, DSC and more. One of which he threw away as a gesture in 1948. He is Jewish.) as well as an officer who flew with the 8th Air Force.

I am a fan of the History channel. I would see a show and contact them the next day and say " hey, was that you?" They'd say "yeah". I would come across a book on the dumpster table in my office and I would see these guys.

And of course, there was my Dad.

mm2002
02-08-2009, 18:12
No, I just don't love New York like some people. Lots of big cities that I find more charming and interesting, Boston, DC, Chicago etc.

Most awesome city I've been to is Denver CO. Actually, the whole area is breathtaking IMHO. Drive the "long way" through Estes Park in December, trek up Pikes Peak. Beautiful country, but I wouldn't live there for a million bucks.

BuzzF117
03-05-2009, 15:30

With that being said, I LOVE the rest of France, just not Paris!\

shorty

hooligan
03-05-2009, 19:39

Most awesome city I've been to is Denver CO. Actually, the whole area is breathtaking IMHO. Drive the "long way" through Estes Park in December, trek up Pikes Peak. Beautiful country, but I wouldn't live there for a million bucks.

Denver is awesome... that's were I grew up. Some of the best roads for riding a motorcyle... nice twisty canyons with spectacular views. The only thing it's missing is the ocean. I really miss living in Colorado. But I am diving a lot more now that the ocan isn't a plane ride away.

Lulubelle
03-05-2009, 19:55

With that being said, I LOVE the rest of France, just not Paris!\

shorty

Hey, I'd take another couple of inches if I could...only disadvantage is trying to find ladies' pants with a 36" inseam.

I have a girl cousin who is 6'2". Most beautiful ethereal girl you have ever seen.

It's all good. Short, tall, who cares?

TennisCoach
03-06-2009, 08:33
Darling, I am taller than most of the world's men. I am now pretty strong too. That means that I have as much muscle mass as they do, being female, mostly in the legs. I might very well just take them on myself. Guess I am a bit cocky now that my trainer has got me doing some kickboxing.

:ttiuwop:
:smiley20::smiley2:

Lulubelle
03-06-2009, 15:29
Darling, I am taller than most of the world's men. I am now pretty strong too. That means that I have as much muscle mass as they do, being female, mostly in the legs. I might very well just take them on myself. Guess I am a bit cocky now that my trainer has got me doing some kickboxing.

:ttiuwop:
:smiley20::smiley2:

But you already have a picture, my avatar.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
03-06-2009, 16:02
I found the French to be very friendly to those who tried to speak French. But then I spend almost all my time in Auvergne, far from Paris. One day we stop in a small village to get some lunch. We talk to the owners of the local restaurant who ask us if we are English, we say no, we're Americans. One of them replied "but Americans go to Paris!"

It says a lot.