PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Decide

danielh03
08-21-2007, 00:58
I have been talking with Joe about my first BCD. I thought i wanted the Riptied Zone, but now looking around more I am totaly at a loss for my first BC! I am also confused about how much lift I will need. Is there a good rule of thumb?

chewyjr15
08-21-2007, 02:11
first off how tall are you and how much do you weigh? Are you going to use an aluminum or steel tank? Are you gonna dive doubles? Fresh water? Saltwater? Warm water, cold Water?

deepdiver47
08-21-2007, 04:29
Chewy has it right Daniel we need more info on what you are planning on doing. The Zeagle Brigade is popular here as well as the Ranger. But we are all rec divers that don't do doubles (that I know of) and alot of us travel on a plane to dive.

danielh03
08-21-2007, 11:58
Good point lol! Ok, I am 5'9 about 190. I want to do doubles later on, but will be diving alum. tanks (80's). I want to get my deep water (140') as far as fresh water vs. salt, both. I am also taking a rescue recovery course later in the year geared toward retrieving drowning victims.

creggur
08-21-2007, 13:30
Depending on how long it will be before you dive doubles, you could go with a brigade now, and when the time comes configure it for doubles with the hardware and a Ranger bladder....

The Zone looks like a good value, and was on my short list of BCD's...I settled on the Brigade because I will pretty much be diving warm water recreational profiles so the 48lb lift was way overkill for me....

If you are planning on doing a lot of doubles/technical diving you may want to go ahead and look at a BP/W setup, I like the BCD myself, but a lot of people like BP setups...

danielh03
08-21-2007, 13:38
LOL ok, you lost me on that last part there, could you expand on that just a little?

finflippers
08-21-2007, 13:41
If you are going to be doing singles and doubles you might want to check out a Dive Rite TransPac Harness with Rec Wings. The Rec Wings can be used with singles or doubles.

somewhereinla
08-21-2007, 13:49
Good point lol! Ok, I am 5'9 about 190. I want to do doubles later on, but will be diving alum. tanks (80's). I want to get my deep water (140') as far as fresh water vs. salt, both. I am also taking a rescue recovery course later in the year geared toward retrieving drowning victims.

The most important info. is:
are you going to be diving in cold or warm water?
If you use a steel hp 95 and up and dive in cold water, a 40-45 pound lift is a safe number. In warm water, 30 pound is plenty.

If you dive double in the future, you will need a dry suit, so lift won't be as much as an issue.

Rescue diving is firstly gear at preventing accident and saving yourself. It does give you the basis needed to help someone else, but in most instance rescue should be left to pro's whenever possible. Whatever gear you have should be fine for any rescue classes.

Lastly, since you are going to be diving doubles sometime in the future, you should look at tech diving BC. I would recomend either the Dive Rite transplate (what I dive with) or the Dive Rite transpac. Those are very modular systems which will grow with you as your diving grow. You will be able to adjust your system to different diving needs and your trim underwater will be much better.

good luck.

Xspect
08-21-2007, 17:34
Try on several and your LDS. remember if it doesnt fit on the surface it wont in the water.

After you try what fits best for you. buy from ST

dannybot
08-21-2007, 17:39
My wife has the Zone and really likes it! It does have a lot of lift, but it can accommodate a backplate and doubles if you decide to go on with that. It is comfortable and very adjustable. there are many D-rings to hang stuff, but has no pockets. The non-ditchable weight pockets can be moved to many different places, and she can always get the balance she wants. It is easy to don and doff in and out of the water. It is a little on the heavy side, but it compacts well for travel.

ertechsg
08-21-2007, 17:40
Get the riptide it is a great BC for the price I glad I have one. Plus you can put a plate in it for doubles later on if you want

BSea
08-21-2007, 17:46
LOL ok, you lost me on that last part there, could you expand on that just a little?
I think you are referring to the BP/W(Back Plate & Wing). It used to be that only tech divers used these, but more anad more recreational divers are using BP/W's because they are so versatile, and pack very well for trips. If you look at the threads in tHis forum, there are several threads about BP/W's. I'd suggest that you look through these because if you expect to go to doubles, the BP/W is probably the most used set-up for doubles.

But they are great for singles as well. I've been in a BP/W for almost 2 years, and I don't see anything out there that I would switch to from my BP/W. And I currently only dive singles.

I'm going to disagree with finflippers on the Rec Wings being good for both doubles & singles. I think it will work for both, but IMHO get a single wing for diving singles, and get a double wing for diving doubles. The good news is that it's easy to switch you BP from 1 wing to the other.

Splitlip
08-21-2007, 17:53
I'll tell you, if you really believe, I mean really really believe you are going to be diving doubles any time soon, get a backplate and wing.

I don't where you are located, but I gotta say, most new divers who plan on getting into doubles, never do.

If you are in cave country or the northeast, another story.

Jaymeany
08-21-2007, 17:56
Why Northeast? just struck me curious.

Splitlip
08-21-2007, 19:53
I was refering to the deep wreck dives

danielh03
08-22-2007, 02:15
Thanks guys! And yes i do plan on getting into doubles because of the area I live in has some great deep dive sites that are mostly flooded quarys (sp). Also, the orgnization I work for is going to help pay for the classes to get me that far, cant beat that!

Hollywood703
08-22-2007, 16:11
Also have you tried a jacket style BCD and a rear inflate style BCD and maybe a BP&W....I would really recommend trying a few styles before commiting to one....I personally tried a bunch of jacket style BC's and only a few rear inflate......I tried on an Oceanic Excursion (rear inflate) and knew immediately this was the one i wanted to buy. It was the most comfortable in the water, and overall fit me the best...Had i not tried that specific jacket, i would have undoubtedly bought a jacket style....One a side note....I didnt know at the time...but the Excursion has a swappable plate to allow for doubles, so if i go that route, i dont have to buy all new, just a different plate.