PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Airlines

JugglingMonkeys
08-21-2007, 03:19
I've heard many good things about Singapore Airlines, but have not yet taken a flight with them.

what is their economy class like?
compared to US airlines - particularly for long international flights?

thanks

MEL-DC Diver
08-21-2007, 06:59
Singapore is great. If you are comparing their Y product to the same on United, then you likely wouldn't be able to tell you were in the same class of service. Singapore wins hands down, but they beat pretty much everyone most of the time.

ScubaToys Larry
08-21-2007, 07:06
I haven't done Singapore - but I flew on Asiana and they were great. I was in first class with them, and it was nicer than qantas, American, etc... And talking to folks on the plane - Singapore is virtually the same.

JugglingMonkeys
08-21-2007, 07:20
First Class doesn't count.
:smiley16:

it's pretty much great on any airline.

for the rest of us *poor* people - i was wondering about economy.

deepdiver47
08-21-2007, 07:38
what about Silk Airlines? They are supposed to be close to Singapore air.

MEL-DC Diver
08-21-2007, 09:30
what about Silk Airlines? They are supposed to be close to Singapore air.

They are the regional carrier for Singapore Airlines - analogous to American Eagle, United Express, etc.

namabiru
08-21-2007, 16:10
Singapore Economy absolutely rules. When I lived in Japan, I frequently flew Fukuoka-Singapore. You are treated along similar scale to business class on US airline, with having a menu given to you with food choices, they keep right on bringing you drinks, you get coffee in a real cup, with a saucer and real spoon, the whole nine yards. The planes I was on all had personal video systems, with a gabillion vides to choose from. And, wait for this. If you wanted to change videos, you just pause, flip channels, and you could come back, and your first video would still be paused in the same place.

The blankets are longer (I stole 2) and cover me, even though I'm short.

Even though you're in "steerage", it's still quite comfortable. They care if you are comfortable too.

I LOVE Singapore Airlines, and best yet they are a Star Alliance member. Frankly that's why I keep my mileage card, is for the non-United airlines.

You will love them too.

Travelnsj
08-21-2007, 17:06
I flew Singapore FC last year Lax to Singapore. Then Economy from Singapore to Bali.....The FC is one if not the best in the skies....the economy was OK.

namabiru
08-21-2007, 17:58
Ooh! Ooh! If you ever get to go business class or above, and you're heading in that general direction, I insist that you go with Qatar Airways. Their "Premium Lounge" in Doha is like a high class hotel. They've built a completely different building so as to seemingly separate the business/first class from the "riff raff". The business lounge is cool, but first is really super sweet. It has a full spa, with spa, massage, and rooms to sleep in. Dead serious.

JugglingMonkeys
08-22-2007, 02:56
Singapore Economy absolutely rules. When I lived in Japan, I frequently flew Fukuoka-Singapore. You are treated along similar scale to business class on US airline, with having a menu given to you with food choices, they keep right on bringing you drinks, you get coffee in a real cup, with a saucer and real spoon, the whole nine yards. The planes I was on all had personal video systems, with a gabillion vides to choose from. And, wait for this. If you wanted to change videos, you just pause, flip channels, and you could come back, and your first video would still be paused in the same place.

The blankets are longer (I stole 2) and cover me, even though I'm short.

Even though you're in "steerage", it's still quite comfortable. They care if you are comfortable too.

I LOVE Singapore Airlines, and best yet they are a Star Alliance member. Frankly that's why I keep my mileage card, is for the non-United airlines.

You will love them too.

sounds great! I will definitely try them soon.

But how about their seats in economy? I'm tall so seats are a big deal to me.

namabiru
08-22-2007, 10:05
Mmm... when I flew Fukuoka to Singapore and back, the plane was often only half full, so I *always* got a row to myself.

The seats, though, are just a smidgen roomier, plus they have that foot rest thing in front.

I don't think SA does that asinine American airline thing of having "Premium economy", where the good seats are in front and cost more. That really cheeses me off, because I sometimes get a bit claustrophobic on airplanes, and when we get to the gate, I absolutely need to get off the plane and I'm fine.

Yet in the States people take their sweet time getting off, and just don't "get" it that if someone stands up right away and starts moving down the aisle, they need to get off, so let them go by.

JugglingMonkeys
08-23-2007, 00:50
how about recline?
that's important on a long flight.

and also the space between you and the seat in front of you?

these things make a long flight either tolerable or torture!!

Travelnsj
08-23-2007, 01:01
When I flew a 777 from Singapore to Bali and back....the recline and space between seats seemed to have a little more room than a Southwest flight. The plane was full....I do not know about the international flights....perhaps check their web site.

somewhereinla
08-23-2007, 01:14
Singapore eco. is not that great... Thai airline is the best airline if you fly eco.

JugglingMonkeys
08-23-2007, 01:19
Singapore eco. is not that great... Thai airline is the best airline if you fly eco.

true?
i've got an internal asian flight coming up and am debating between the two.

thanks!

Advokat
08-23-2007, 04:22
I flew with Singapore Air a number of times from Australia to Frankfurt and it it the best airline I ever used, and I have used about 20-25 different airlines as I travel a lot. And the airport in Singapore is so good...there even have a swimming pool to spend time in on long connections

namabiru
08-23-2007, 10:57
Yes, I really like Changi Airport too. Very welcoming and easy to transition in. You don't even need the lounges--the general airport is nice enough.

Asiadiver
08-29-2007, 02:49
As mentioned before, Singapor Air is simply the best in the world. That said, coach is coach, unless you can talk Larry into some of his 11 MILLION AA miles. Go to www.seatguru (http://www.seatguru) and pick your seat and you cannot go wrong on Singapore.

chinacat46
08-29-2007, 07:26
Actually Singapore Air on some of it's flights has what they call executive economy class. It's alot nicer then regular coach with wider seats that recline furhter with a lot of leg room. Best of all on a long flight from LA to Singapore it's only a couple hundred more roundtrip. Well worth it in my opinion.

JugglingMonkeys
08-29-2007, 08:03
Is it like United's economy plus OR better?

chinacat46
08-29-2007, 08:50
Much better then United. Instead of having 3 5 3 across the plane they hav 2 3 2. The seats are wider and recline alot more and best of all there is tons of leg room. The only flight I'm aware of though is the nonstop from LA to Singapore but I'm sure they have it on other planes.

Travelnsj
08-29-2007, 09:01
On the 777 to Bali they had the 3 5 3 seats across....but that was only a 2 1/2 hr flight.

chinacat46
08-29-2007, 09:04
I think they only do it on very long flights like the nonstop from LA to Singapore. Then the whole economy section is 2 3 2. On other flights from LA to Singapore that make stops they don't offer it.