PDA

View Full Version : Scuba and Weight loss

chris in the socal
02-09-2009, 14:53
The weight loss that i have had because of scuba has been astounding. I have lost about 15 lbs since i have started . i dive about 1to 2 times a week on either sat or sun. I really have enjoyed this and got a health + as well.:smiley31:

emt
02-09-2009, 22:20
I agree. I know if I plan any trip I want to be in shape to enjoy it and I usually work out more faithfully in preparation as well as during the trip getting the excercise.

ektess1
02-09-2009, 23:10
That is great Chris. I wish that it were that easy and enjoyable for me. I have to sweet and grunt for any weight loss. Then it comes right back.
Enjoy and good luck.

fanatique
02-11-2009, 20:17
The fact that he/she has only one post says as much..

And good on you about the weight loss, Chris!

Straegen
02-12-2009, 00:55
Moderator should delete that post as well as IP ban that user.

Congrats on the weight loss BTW.

chris in the socal
02-12-2009, 17:16
Thank you all for that, I really hope that other people have the same luck as me. Good luck to all others trying the scuba workout plan.

Foo2
02-12-2009, 17:23
The fact that he/she has only one post says as much..

And good on you about the weight loss, Chris!

Moderator should delete that post as well as IP ban that user.

Congrats on the weight loss BTW.

In the future, please click the report post button when you see spam. When you post in the thread it just pushes it to the top, guaranteeing that more people will see it. Thanks!:smiley20:

chicken
02-12-2009, 18:26
I never really thought about scuba diving as a "physical" activity that could lead to weight loss until now. The new Mens Health magazine has an article about diving and the great benefits of participating. They go on to say it is a great full body workout.

The plan now is less time at LA Fitness and more time in the water!

Straegen
02-12-2009, 18:47
I don't think diving in and of itself is a good workout, but I do think getting outside doing something you love really helps avoid snacking as well as burns more calories than sitting on a couch. For many, simply getting into a hobby or outdoor activity is enough.

chinacat46
02-12-2009, 18:52
The way I dive I get more of a workout walking in a park. I dive nice and slow and then I slow down. I suppose when I'm kicking into a current there is some work envolved but to me diving is more relaxing then a workout. I do workout on a regular basis though and that definitely helps with air consumption not to mention fiting into the wetsuit. I find when I go on long trips or liveaboards even though I might be doing 4-5 dives a day I put on weight. I think if you are losing weight doing only 1 or 2 dives a weekend then you must be doing something else to lose weight.

Travelnsj
02-13-2009, 09:52
When I started diving around 10 years ago, I got back into running I lost around 30 lbs.....until about 2 years ago my size large started to shrink....now I have found XL is a bit more comfortable:smiley5:....although I still go to the gym on a regular basis and walk a couple miles a day....I'm assured when swimming in those strong currents in Palau and Raja Ampat...having that 20+ lbs I have put back on does not help my air consumption.

bane51031
02-15-2009, 09:51
I can see where calories are expended especially if you are shore diving, I have dove some spots in Florida where I had to hump my and the wife's gear almost four blocks just to get to the sand, Also when I ice dive I expend alot of energy with all the predive prep etc. That being said any activity beats lounging on the couch.

I am now back at the gym and going strong, workout 5 days a week 4 days of cardio/strength and the additional day is cardio only. Made it past the 2 week hump and now enjoy going again.

scubajane
02-15-2009, 19:39
hauling gear is tougher than diving but... the better your physical fitness the better you look in a wetsuit. I swim and walk to improve my strength. I want to be able to haul my own gear and not be perceived as a 'princess' diver. plus I just feel better when I'm in good physical condition.