PDA

View Full Version : Dive Alert Plus

ScubaToys Larry
02-09-2009, 16:05
Dive Alert Plus

Dive Alert Plus reviews and discounts, Ideations (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DiveAlertPlusStd)

Direct to the VR Spin File of the Dive Rite Compass: Dive Alert Plus (http://www.spinobject.com/spin/d/DiveAlertPlusStd/DiveAlertPlusStd.htm)

Bill22
02-16-2009, 04:33
This is a GREAT product! I bought one from scubatoys when it first came out. During a dive in the Philippines last June, the current shifted in the middle of the dive and we came up out of position. We were in heavy swells and the boat was at least a half mile away. They could hear my Dive Alert Plus no problem!

Also a great attention-getter underwater as well. Everyone should get one :)

Straegen
02-16-2009, 09:59
Building an above and below "honker" into a single product seems like a pretty good idea to me. Not much more than a single above or below one as well.

russp
03-16-2009, 14:49
If using the Dive Alert Plus with an Octo/Inflator (I have a Zeagle), do any modifications need to be made to the inflator or corrugated hose?

thor
03-16-2009, 17:28
If using the Dive Alert Plus with an Octo/Inflator (I have a Zeagle), do any modifications need to be made to the inflator or corrugated hose?

No. It connects to the LP hose, not the corrugated hose. It does get a little crowded with the Dive Alert attached. The nice thing about this product, is that it swivels 180 degrees. If I have it attached to my Octo/ Inflator, I actually flip it upside down, so that it is not in the way of the inflator.

CPTOZZY
03-16-2009, 21:58
I have one and it is the one product I've bought that I'm glad I've never had to use. I did use the under water "Honk" once or twice to get my buddy's attention, and once on the surface (on dry land) I accidently blasted the horn - My ear was ringing ! It does take up about an inch or two which causes your LP inflator hose to bow out a bit (I haven't looked into shorter hoses - Its really not a problem)

All in all a great product to have ..... just in case

DMWiz
03-16-2009, 22:09

You have to make sure you order the one that's appropriate for the octo/inflator you're using DP-2X fits Zeagle as well as most octo/inflators. Not the standard.

DP-3X fits Atomics, Scubapro and Tusa.

Hope this helps.

setesh
03-17-2009, 00:39
I understand the safety aspect to having the air horn, but what really peaks my curiosity is the 'sub duck'
I hate having to bang on my tank (just an awkward movement) to get my buddy's attention, and sometimes my tank banger isn't loud enough to do the job. Is the sub duck any better or is it just something else to clutter up the hose?

Straegen
03-17-2009, 01:50
The Dive Alert Plus does the same thing the Sub Duck does as well as being an above water horn. It is both.

russp
03-17-2009, 12:12
I have one and it is the one product I've bought that I'm glad I've never had to use. I did use the under water "Honk" once or twice to get my buddy's attention, and once on the surface (on dry land) I accidently blasted the horn - My ear was ringing ! It does take up about an inch or two which causes your LP inflator hose to bow out a bit (I haven't looked into shorter hoses - Its really not a problem)

All in all a great product to have ..... just in case

That's the kind of thing I was wondering with my octo/inflator hose but if you go with the shorter hose, I'd think you'd have a problem if you needed to take the dive alert off due to a malfunction.

setesh
03-18-2009, 21:27
The Dive Alert Plus does the same thing the Sub Duck does as well as being an above water horn. It is both.

I should have been more clear. I understand that it is both in one, but I was wondering if the sub duck part of it is more effective than a tank banger at getting attention underwater. In the 6 reviews posted here, there seems to be a divided opinion on it being effective.

I was just fishing for more opinions on how well it works compared to an ordanary plastic ball/rubber band tank banger

Straegen
03-19-2009, 00:12
My Dive Alert Plus is really loud underwater. I would certainly say the Dive Alert Plus is louder than a tank banger. You could question how useful that is since they both work when your buddy is within an appropriate range and with most sound it is difficult to figure out where it is coming from underwater so it isn't likely going to help you locate a buddy.

Has anyone just hooked up a separate inflator hose that only runs to the Dive Alert Plus? It is a bit bulky attached to the BCD inflator.

setesh
03-19-2009, 11:46
My Dive Alert Plus is really loud underwater. I would certainly say the Dive Alert Plus is louder than a tank banger. You could question how useful that is since they both work when your buddy is within an appropriate range and with most sound it is difficult to figure out where it is coming from underwater so it isn't likely going to help you locate a buddy.

Has anyone just hooked up a separate inflator hose that only runs to the Dive Alert Plus? It is a bit bulky attached to the BCD inflator.

Thanks Straegen. I haven't had many problems with people I normally dive with, but with "assigned" buddies and especially with someone wearing a hood it seems like they either ignore it, or don't hear it. I guess that needs to be a normal part of my dive prep to make sure my buddy knows exactly what my signalling device sounds like before we go down. I know it's dumb, but I never really thought about including that in my routine.:smiley29: And still, louder is better IMO.

Rainer
03-19-2009, 11:55
And still, louder is better IMO.

I'm sorry, but there just isn't a need for these stupid sound makers in the water. They're ANNOYING. No one wants to listen to this crap; it's one reason most of us dive- to get away from sound pollution. Please, be considerate to others in the water and don't go around honking. If you need your buddy's attention, signal him (wave of the hand, use a light, or reach over and tap him). No need to be 20' away from each other. Get closer. No need to ignore each other. Learn to up your situational awareness game. Make eye contact during the dive. Know where your buddy is at all times. You'll have no problem getting his attention if you're both making efforts to pay attention. A lame underwater toy is not the solution to a bad buddy. If need be, have a frank discussion with your buddy until you're on the same page. Or find new buddies. But please, be respectful of those who don't want to hear you blasting an air horn under water.

setesh
03-19-2009, 12:34
A lame underwater toy is not the solution to a bad buddy. If need be, have a frank discussion with your buddy until you're on the same page. Or find new buddies. But please, be respectful of those who don't want to hear you blasting an air horn under water.

Like I said, I haven't had a problem with people I dive with regularly, it's assigned buddies that I've had a problem with.:smiley13: Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to dive nearly as often as I would like if I went only with buddies I actually know. Sometimes you just have to show up and take pot luck. So basically, I AM finding new buddies every time. And some of the people you get stuck with just don't give a rat's rosey about being a good buddy. It's obvious from your post that you have run into some of the same kind of people.
Obviously if I can just wave to someone or put a hand on them why would I go through the effort of reaching back to my banger or fumbling with any noisemaker? I'm just going to have to sign to him after I get his attention anyway, so if signing is an option why wouldn't I just do it to begin with? Personally, I think having an option to get someone's attention with sound is a good thing to have in reserve. And if there is a real need to get someones attention, I'm not going to think twice about ruining the auditory bliss.

Rainer
03-19-2009, 13:07
Invest in good buddies. I assure you, they'll make your diving more enjoyable than any noisemaker. Use the boards, talk to your LDS, but get regular buddies. They're out there.

CompuDude
03-19-2009, 15:25

I'm sorry, but there just isn't a need for these stupid sound makers in the water. They're ANNOYING. No one wants to listen to this crap; it's one reason most of us dive- to get away from sound pollution. Please, be considerate to others in the water and don't go around honking. If you need your buddy's attention, signal him (wave of the hand, use a light, or reach over and tap him). No need to be 20' away from each other. Get closer. No need to ignore each other. Learn to up your situational awareness game. Make eye contact during the dive. Know where your buddy is at all times. You'll have no problem getting his attention if you're both making efforts to pay attention. A lame underwater toy is not the solution to a bad buddy. If need be, have a frank discussion with your buddy until you're on the same page. Or find new buddies. But please, be respectful of those who don't want to hear you blasting an air horn under water.

THANK YOU.

I HATE those #%*&ing sub ducks. It's one thing for an instructor or DM to use them on a training dive, that's a legit business reason. It's another thing for buddies to use them for "hey, look at this!" throughout a dive. ARGH.

Travman
03-20-2009, 01:45
Can you connect them to a Mares BC that has the Airtrim system?

Tully Mars
03-21-2009, 13:16

THANK YOU.

I HATE those #%*&ing sub ducks. It's one thing for an instructor or DM to use them on a training dive, that's a legit business reason. It's another thing for buddies to use them for "hey, look at this!" throughout a dive. ARGH.

I just bought one and they're freaking loud. If there's an emergency yes, if you want someone to see the eel hiding under a rock no. If everyone starts using these for non-emergency situation how is anyone going to know if there really is a problem?

Oh yeah, and take to heart the warning not to use near your ear, or any one else's for that matter.

Tully Mars
04-06-2009, 07:35
Wonder if the noise omitted is harmful to marine life. I don't use mine UW unless there's an actual emergency. Which means so far never... OK I tested it once.

But is Navy sonar can mess with sea life how can this thing not?

Travelnsj
04-06-2009, 11:54
Wonder if the noise omitted is harmful to marine life. I don't use mine UW unless there's an actual emergency. Which means so far never... OK I tested it once.

No idea if it harmful to Marine life but Divers who use underwater Dive Alerts, Tank Bangers or Rattles....well when you get back on the boat be prepared for the wrath of some divers....LOL....I've given my 2psi before and seen a DM not be very nice about it. Leave those toys to your DM/Dive Guide or use them very sparingly.

I have used my Surface Dive Alert three times in 6 years once in the Galapagos, once in Sipadan and recently in the Philippines when we surfaced in 6' to 9' seas.

Tully Mars
04-06-2009, 16:21

No idea if it harmful to Marine life but Divers who use underwater Dive Alerts, Tank Bangers or Rattles....well when you get back on the boat be prepared for the wrath of some divers....LOL....I've given my 2psi before and seen a DM not be very nice about it. Leave those toys to your DM/Dive Guide or use them very sparingly.

I have used my Surface Dive Alert three times in 6 years once in the Galapagos, once in Sipadan and recently in the Philippines when we surfaced in 6' to 9' seas.

I've only had mine a short time. I'd never use it except in an emergency. I'm awfully tried of people "playing" with them. I always tell people I'm diving with that if I blow it threes times there's a problem. Just like rifle hunting in the woods, three shots in a row means 'little help here."

CompuDude
04-06-2009, 17:01
I wouldn't worry about the noise of the quackers, at least. It can be pretty noisy underwater as it is, depending on species. The issues with Navy Sonar and such are completely different, and totally different levels of volume. Regardless, the occasional blast in an emergency is very different to something done routinely, like the Navy was doing.

Tully Mars
04-06-2009, 17:25
I wouldn't worry about the noise of the quackers, at least. It can be pretty noisy underwater as it is, depending on species. The issues with Navy Sonar and such are completely different, and totally different levels of volume. Regardless, the occasional blast in an emergency is very different to something done routinely, like the Navy was doing.

That's good to know. Was kind of thinking if lights at night are a issue for some sea life then massive noise like these things are making might be too.

Thanks for the info.

CompuDude
04-06-2009, 17:51

That's good to know. Was kind of thinking if lights at night are a issue for some sea life then massive noise like these things are making might be too.

Thanks for the info.

NP. Startling critters for a moment (at best) once in a while during an emergency is VERY different from pounding their eardrums continuously during a 6 month deployment.

cyclone3565
04-21-2009, 16:14
Is the plus available for the SS1 yet. I like the fact of being able to change to surface mode.

Tully Mars
04-25-2009, 06:50
Is the plus available for the SS1 yet. I like the fact of being able to change to surface mode.

You should call ST's. I have a feeling they probably do make one. I had no problems finding one's for my Zeagle and ProSub. Now if I can just find the cash for the ProSub one.

Chilkie
05-22-2009, 11:34

While I understand where you are coming from, I disagree with some of what you are saying. I concur that folks should not use these items to simply try to get the attention of their buddy in a run of the mill situation. However, I do think that in the event of an emergency both above and below the surface that these items are very worthwhile.
Surfacing in rougher than expected seas, being pulled away from the dive boats by strong current, all of these are very real occurrences. No matter what the cause of the incident, be it diver error or something beyond their control...having a signal device could be a very effective way of letting folks who can assist know that there is someone in distress.
I can live with someone disturbing my serenity if it means that lives are saved or potential injury is averted.

Tully Mars
05-22-2009, 11:43
I agree. They're situations where using these things underwater is necessary. My buddies in trouble or out of air, I'm tangled up in something etc...

My problem is people are using these freaking things to point out stuff like "oh, looky an eel!" or "Hey! an octopus!' People using these for non-emergency situations piss me off.

That not what they're made for and not their purpose.

Empacher
05-22-2009, 11:45

I own one that fits my SS1!
Call ST and they will get you the right one!

:smiley20:

Chilkie
05-22-2009, 15:11

Does it fit well and look like it was made to be there? Was it difficult to put on?

Zeagle Eagle
07-10-2009, 18:05
I bought one a couple of weeks ago to fit my Zeagle. The jury is still out on whether I like it or not. I took it to Lake Travis a couple of days ago to practice with it. Dang, that 'sunny beach' is loud out of the water.

My only reservation is having a couple of more buttons on my inflator hose. I will have to use it a few more times. I am going to have to pay closer attention. At depth when I want to add a squirt of air it was second nature. My hand just naturally hit the inflate button; now, I have two more buttons on my inflator hose. I grabbed the wrong button a couple of times. I 'spect through a little practice it will become natural again.

One plus: It inflates my SMB easily. The horn part exactly fits the inflator hose of my DAN safety sausage.

Note: PLEASE ONLY USE FOR AN EMERGENCY AS THE NOISE IT MAKES IS ANNOYING.

Zeagle Eagle
07-12-2009, 18:44

Does it fit well and look like it was made to be there? Was it difficult to put on?
Mine fits perfectly and looks like it was made to be there. It took about 30 seconds to attach and 30 seconds to detach. If you want to dive without it just detach it and stow it. If you want it on your next dive, it attaches very easily even when your rig is set up.

Splitlip
07-12-2009, 20:09

You have to make sure you order the one that's appropriate for the octo/inflator you're using DP-2X fits Zeagle as well as most octo/inflators. Not the standard.

DP-3X fits Atomics, Scubapro and Tusa.

Hope this helps.

Actually, the new Zeagle octo inflator has the same nipple as Atomic and Scubapro.

Splitlip
07-12-2009, 20:18

Mine fits perfectly and looks like it was made to be there. It took about 30 seconds to attach and 30 seconds to detach. If you want to dive without it just detach it and stow it. If you want it on your next dive, it attaches very easily even when your rig is set up.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm confused. Doesn't it simply slip in the QD on the lp hose like the original? And the button confusion you mentioned has me wondering. I assumed it is installed upstream of the inflator......

Zeagle Eagle
07-13-2009, 08:40
Hmmm. Maybe I'm confused. Doesn't it simply slip in the QD on the lp hose like the original? And the button confusion you mentioned has me wondering. I assumed it is installed upstream of the inflator.

You are correct on both counts. Check out my thumbnails

Chilkie
07-14-2009, 16:21
I bought one and really like it. While the thing is INSANELY loud, I am glad that in the event of an emergency I can get someone's attention.

SkItZo
07-21-2009, 18:41
Keep your ears underwater if your at the surface!!!!!

cali.grrl
08-25-2009, 14:28
So everyone agrees that the "plus" model is better than the original? I had read some reviews where people were going to return the "Plus" for the original with an adapter for their type of inflator/octo.

Besides the ability to make the quack underwater is there any other advantages?

:) Charlotte

Lobster Hunter
08-25-2009, 15:22
Do they make one to fit every BCD. I have a Dacor and wondering if one will fit. Also the Idea of having a separate hose only for the dive alert interests me, has anyone done this???

tlt
08-31-2009, 12:31
I bought one, but the underwater sounds, or more like the sound of air exhaust than anything else. What are they supposed to sound like underwater-- seems to me, if this is normal the underwater feature is worthless, I expected a horn, beep, bleep, quack or something that was a defined sound?

WaScubaDude
08-31-2009, 13:11
Keep your ears underwater if your at the surface!!!!!
+1:smiley29:

WaScubaDude
08-31-2009, 13:12
I bought one, but the underwater sounds, or more like the sound of air exhaust than anything else. What are they supposed to sound like underwater-- seems to me, if this is normal the underwater feature is worthless, I expected a horn, beep, bleep, quack or something that was a defined sound?
I had the same problem. Could be close enough to my DB to touch him, but with a hood on he couldnt hear the UW horn. :smiley19:

tlt
08-31-2009, 13:40
Let's wait for more feedback first... I kind wish it had the duck sound though, (versus a horn as I expected) instead of rushing air.. I almost went for that sub - duck, but wanted a surface device as well.. I am curious to see what other users have to say about their sub-surface sounds first... It is possible there is just something not right with ours. I bet they have to be adjusted just right and at just the pressure to work correctly... let's wait and see what others say.

Recon
08-31-2009, 16:03
I have the dive alert plus also, and mine does make a "duck" sound underwater, and when you flip the switch to h2o... when you have it set to AIR it is basically an air horn above water.

~Recon

thor
08-31-2009, 18:15
I had the same problem. Could be close enough to my DB to touch him, but with a hood on he couldnt hear the UW horn. :smiley19:

+1

I also had the same problem. The couple of times I used it underwater, it just sounded like a freeflow. Now I just keep it in my pocket as it is pretty useless underwater, does not get anyone's attention and wastes air. .

CompuDude
08-31-2009, 19:30
I think maybe you guys either aren't using it right, or you have defective DAP's. The DiveAlertPlus we used in Bali (for the DM to signal when he found something interesting for us to photograph) definitely made a quacking noise underwater (with the switch turned to the H2O position) and a frighteningly loud horn above water (with the switch in the Air position).

scubajane
09-06-2009, 16:58
I have found the subduck a little tempermental. but in case of emergency the air horn will blast you ears off!!! I like my dive alert plus and hubby is annoyed by his. we both use them when we boat dive in the ocean.

WaScubaDude
09-06-2009, 18:11
I am not a DIR guy, but an advocate of a real reg as an Octo along with a hose long enough to make it comfortable and useful for donating (mine is 5ft).

This is insanity. May look convenient, but think about the time that you would most need it. Just handed your Reg off to a panicked diver, making your way with the panicked diver to the surface, need to inflate your BC, signal others for assistance while breathing from this. Crazy. Not to mention the more common Out Of Air scenario, where an out of air diver just comes and rips the reg out of your mouth and starts for the surface. I have witnessed this my self. Not pretty and even uglier when that out of air diver has your reg, your inflator and your safety signal.

Any other thoughts??

tlt
09-09-2009, 12:28
WaScubaDude (http://forum.scubatoys.com/../members/wascubadude.html) It was not the question, or topic particularly appreciate your perspective, start a thread on it somewhere. I agree with you, it is a contraption, and adds complexity to your equipment, which most likely is not for everyone. The question at least that I had originally along the line of reviews was does it work underwater (not is it appropriate). Based on the comments here it sounds like it should, and 2 of us that bought it, bought defective units. I contact ST and they told me I could return it and they will check it out. I will decide when it is or is not appropriate to use it. My concern is not OOA scenarios, my wife, son and I watch our gauges, my concern is more along the lines of catastrophic failure. As for signaling underwater, it's my choice. Should there be a failure, there would be no ripping of anything from anyone, but controlled and organized handing off of pony, or primary. Air2 are too short to share.

IndyDiver
09-09-2009, 12:59
WaScubaDude (http://forum.scubatoys.com/../members/wascubadude.html) It was not the question, or topic particularly appreciate your perspective, start a thread on it somewhere. I agree with you, it is a contraption, and adds complexity to your equipment, which most likely is not for everyone. The question at least that I had originally along the line of reviews was does it work underwater (not is it appropriate). Based on the comments here it sounds like it should, and 2 of us that bought it, bought defective units. I contact ST and they told me I could return it and they will check it out. I will decide when it is or is not appropriate to use it. My concern is not OOA scenarios, my wife, son and I watch our gauges, my concern is more along the lines of catastrophic failure. As for signaling underwater, it's my choice. Should there be a failure, there would be no ripping of anything from anyone, but controlled and organized handing off of pony, or primary. Air2 are too short to share.

This thread original started as a "for sale" advertisement by Larry. In that context, any opinion on suitability or review of performance is valid to post. Your post seems a little "over the top" and rude as a response to a guy that is just stating his opinion about the product.

You asked a question about performance, and several people, including WaScubaDude (http://forum.scubatoys.com/members/wascubadude.html) , addressed that question. The thread is just moving on. If you jump into the middle of an existing thread and ask a question, I hope you don't really believe that any post after that that doesn't address your question is not a valid post!?

WaScubaDude
09-09-2009, 13:16
Snip... (http://forum.scubatoys.com/../members/wascubadude.html)
My concern is not OOA scenarios, my wife, son and I watch our gauges, my concern is more along the lines of catastrophic failure. As for signaling underwater, it's my choice. Should there be a failure, there would be no ripping of anything from anyone, but controlled and organized handing off of pony, or primary. Air2 are too short to share.

Great you are thinking about it.

I mention the obvious safety concern for anyone looking to combine the air2 with an inflater mounted sound device. My comment was perfectly appropriate for this thread (IMHO).

As for the "no ripping of anything", Ever in the water with divers other than your well trained family? Several OOA & emergency situations that I have witnessed were not at all "controlled & organized".

Most diving accidents and deaths are actually a chain of things that go awry. Better if a diver's gear helps to break that chain, not put the first link in the chain that leads to an incident that has others writing "Our prayers go out to his family" :smiley11:

tlt
09-09-2009, 17:36
IndyDiver (http://forum.scubatoys.com/../members/indydiver.html) I was not trying to be rude, and actually agreed with most of what was said, please be a little more patient and friendly instead of jumping to conclusions. WaScubaDude (http://forum.scubatoys.com/../members/wascubadude.html) sorry if you were offended. As I stated I agree with most of what you said. I have not witnessed numerous out of air situations, perhaps it is a different crowd you are diving around, where are you seeing this repeatedly, why is it a re-occurring theme? For the most part I avoid other divers, unless they happen by while diving. As mentioned above and here, adding extra equipment complicates situations and is not for everyone. It seems however these devices, along with SMB's and lots of other stuff have been added as standard equipment and accepted by the dive industry since I was certified. I have also read, that some dive boats require them. If that was the case, would it be a good idea to have one, and be practiced in it's use before the last minute? The reason I got one was to check it out, and see how it performed, and how it meshed up with my gear, how easy it was to use and so on. So far, it does not work.... anyway, as previously stated, no offense intended to anyone. I asked the question about how it actually worked, etc... to see if it was the one I got, or in general that the underwater sound did not work.

If I understand correctly, if it worked it should make a duck sound based on a couple of comments, is that correct?

ScubaToys Larry
09-09-2009, 19:16
If I understand correctly, if it worked it should make a duck sound based on a couple of comments, is that correct?

Correct. I'll try to do a mini video tomorrow of the sounds it makes in it's two different settings and post it up... Hope I can get it tomorrow.. Or give us a call and we'll honk one over the phone for you!

tlt
09-09-2009, 21:30
Thank you for jumping in here Larry. As always you guys rock, sometimes things happen. Scubatoys is always on their A game, I wish scubatoys sold more than just scuba stuff, they set a great example of how to do business right.

IndyDiver
09-09-2009, 22:09
IndyDiver (http://forum.scubatoys.com/../members/indydiver.html) I was not trying to be rude, and actually agreed with most of what was said, please be a little more patient and friendly instead of jumping to conclusions.

Sorry if I read more into it than you intended.

Zeagle Eagle
09-09-2009, 22:14
Mine sounds like a duck when used underwater. Works better than a tank banger or a hand held clicker/shaker.

Splitlip
09-09-2009, 22:15
I think maybe you guys either aren't using it right, or you have defective DAP's.

I would agree.

(Not that I am a fan of underwater noise makers.)

Zeagle Eagle
09-09-2009, 22:27
In the out of air sceanarios I have been involved in in my 40 plus years of diving, all initially involved ripping someones primary from their mouth. That's what I will probably do. My Air II/ Zeagle is for me to breath on after that happens. How can you be so sure there would be no ripping of anything from anyone. Have you any experience with this sort of thing. It would be nice if that were the case; but, the reality of the situation does not support your conclusion.
My primary hose is a little bit longer than normal to permit someone else to use it. If you use an octo you need three hands. One to work your inflator,one to control your OOA buddy and one to maintain control of your reg. With an Air II you only need two hands. All of my OOA experiences have terminated positively with both of us ascending safely.
Perhaps a compromise might be in order. What about an AIR II, and an Octo, best of both worlds.

Splitlip
09-09-2009, 22:51
In the out of air sceanarios I have been involved in in my 40 plus years of diving, all initially involved ripping someones primary from their mouth. That's what I will probably do. My Air II/ Zeagle is for me to breath on after that happens. How can you be so sure there would be no ripping of anything from anyone. Have you any experience with this sort of thing. It would be nice if that were the case; but, the reality of the situation does not support your conclusion.
My primary hose is a little bit longer than normal to permit someone else to use it. If you use an octo you need three hands. One to work your inflator,one to control your OOA buddy and one to maintain control of your reg. With an Air II you only need two hands. All of my OOA experiences have terminated positively with both of us ascending safely.
Perhaps a compromise might be in order. What about an AIR II, and an Octo, best of both worlds.

While a necklaced secondary IMO is prefered, I have my daughter on an alternate inflator.Forget about a conventional octo.
Does anybody really believe in a typical scenario a "stranger" will calmly approach and signal "OOA" and wait for you to pass off your octo. PSHAWW! When the panicked diver takes my daughter's reg from her mouth, I don't want her to be searching for a dangling reg which might or might not be there. We all might as well face it, we need to be prepared to "pass off" our primaries and find the alternate for ourselves. She handles her "alternate" regularly during all dives.

Zeagle, you just went up a notch in my eyes for being straight up.

Tekdivr
09-09-2009, 23:45

:tenker:--Zeagle Eagle :usaflag:

My biggest problem with the device is having it in the hands of someone who abuses it underwater. From a safety standpoint, it can be invaluable. Put in the wrong hands,it can be the most annoying thing on the planet. These things work very well above and below the surface. I was on a liveaboard once,for a week, where a guy had one and signaled his buddy everytime he wanted his attention. All I wanted to do was to swim up from behind and slice his LPI hose in half! If purchased, please treat as an emergency signaling device. With my experience of the aforementioned trip, I probably wouldn't of responded to the guy if he needed help. How do you know if the boy is crying wolf at that point?? By all means, if you find it necessary to purchase one use it for it's intended purpose. This would be an "emergency" signaling device.Stick with a tank banger if you see something cool that needs to be shared with someone. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.:smiley29:

CompuDude
09-10-2009, 15:48

My biggest problem with the device is having it in the hands of someone who abuses it underwater. From a safety standpoint, it can be invaluable. Put in the wrong hands,it can be the most annoying thing on the planet. These things work very well above and below the surface. I was on a liveaboard once,for a week, where a guy had one and signaled his buddy everytime he wanted his attention. All I wanted to do was to swim up from behind and slice his LPI hose in half! If purchased, please treat as an emergency signaling device. With my experience of the aforementioned trip, I probably wouldn't of responded to the guy if he needed help. How do you know if the boy is crying wolf at that point?? By all means, if you find it necessary to purchase one use it for it's intended purpose. This would be an "emergency" signaling device.Stick with a tank banger if you see something cool that needs to be shared with someone. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.:smiley29:

The exception to "emergency use" would be for use by a DM to signal the photographers in a small group that he has found a photo subject. Very handy for that... but only ok when your group is the only group in the area.

tlt
09-10-2009, 16:29

<snip>
Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.:smiley29:

AGREED, I will only use it for emergencies or when I want to be annoying (once I get one that works) :smiley20:

[quote=tlt;331001]

OK, I agree to your compromise, based on all the input on actually OOA scenarios perhaps I need to carefully re-evaluate, particularly if diving with strangers. Although I do not understand why people so often run out of air, I know I know, stuff happens, but my concern is catastrophic failure, not failure to look at your gauges.. but anything is possible I guess.

As a normal course of diving, we check our gauges every two-three minutes. It is a good habit to have, after a while it becomes automatic. Anyway -- maybe we should start a thread on it, and not hijack this one. A good point though-- can be made on these noisemakers..... they will all be worthless if you are out of air-- all our equipment has good old fashioned whistles attached, and you should have that as well.

ScubaToys Larry
09-10-2009, 17:24
Although I do not understand why people so often run out of air, I know I know, stuff happens, but my concern is catastrophic failure, not failure to look at your gauges.. but anything is possible I guess.

Actually, the catastrophic failure thing is very over rated... It virtually never happens, and when it does, you know something is going on because of the mass of bubbles hitting the water... and everyone else knows too because of the bubble cloud, and you really have a lot more time than you would think to get another reg from a buddy... For example, check out our cutting a divers hose video... Cut clean through a reg hose, and you still have about 30 minutes of time on a full tank...

Scuba Diving Videos Cutting a Divers Hose Scuba Videos (http://www.scubadivingtube.com/play.php?vid=351)

Oh, and speaking of video, I'll try to get that one of the Dive Alerts done up early next week.. ran out of time to do it today! Sorry!

tlt
09-10-2009, 17:51
Although I do not understand why people so often run out of air, I know I know, stuff happens, but my concern is catastrophic failure, not failure to look at your gauges.. but anything is possible I guess.

Actually, the catastrophic failure thing is very over rated... It virtually never happens, and when it does, you know something is going on because of the mass of bubbles hitting the water... and everyone else knows too because of the bubble cloud, and you really have a lot more time than you would think to get another reg from a buddy... For example, check out our cutting a divers hose video... Cut clean through a reg hose, and you still have about 30 minutes of time on a full tank...

Scuba Diving Videos Cutting a Divers Hose Scuba Videos (http://www.scubadivingtube.com/play.php?vid=351)

Oh, and speaking of video, I'll try to get that one of the Dive Alerts done up early next week.. ran out of time to do it today! Sorry!

No problems, thank you, I watched that video and highly recommend it, it was hilarious. You guys should keep making these funny video's. You folks have the best videos out there.

I think we established the unit I have probably does not work, but I think the video would be a good sales point. I will pack up the one I got and drop it in the mail Saturday. BTW Vis has been terrible at Windy point last couple of weeks..

Zeagle Eagle
09-10-2009, 19:50

I agree, most of the OOA scenarios I have been involved in were not equipment failures. Most of them involved a newbie going too deep and not watching their air consumption. I can't remember an equipment failure in the last 20 years.
Loved that video.

WaScubaDude
09-11-2009, 02:51
Sometimes times OOA situtions are only percieved OOA situations, I have seen a diver over exert and then over breath his reg and think he was OOA. Also two different deap incidents where a divers reg got (or seemed to get) hard to breathe resulting in an "OOA" incident.

Lastly, Larry, in the vid you mentioned the hose cut was a HP hose was it not? Did it have the very small hole (restriction) in the nipple that screw into the 1st stage? Ever tried cutting an Octo hose or inflator hose? Wonder if the air would go alot quicker??

navyhmc
09-11-2009, 04:42
Lastly, Larry, in the vid you mentioned the hose cut was a HP hose was it not? Did it have the very small hole (restriction) in the nipple that screw into the 1st stage? Ever tried cutting an Octo hose or inflator hose? Wonder if the air would go alot quicker??

Be honest, you didn't watch the whole thing, did you????:smiley36: They talked about that at 3:50. After the first failed attempt on Corbin's life, Mr. Phelps/Kyle tried again. You are right about the LP hose though. Two minutes at shallow depth to empty the tank

Zeagle Eagle
09-11-2009, 12:10
Sometimes times OOA situtions are only percieved OOA situations, I have seen a diver over exert and then over breath his reg and think he was OOA. Also two different deap incidents where a divers reg got (or seemed to get) hard to breathe resulting in an "OOA" incident.

I think you need to watch the video from the beginning to the end.

WaScubaDude
09-11-2009, 12:13
Lastly, Larry, in the vid you mentioned the hose cut was a HP hose was it not? Did it have the very small hole (restriction) in the nipple that screw into the 1st stage? Ever tried cutting an Octo hose or inflater hose? Wonder if the air would go alot quicker??

Be honest, you didn't watch the whole thing, did you????:smiley36: They talked about that at 3:50. After the first failed attempt on Corbin's life, Mr. Phelps/Kyle tried again. You are right about the LP hose though. Two minutes at shallow depth to empty the tank

I watched it when it first was posted, year ago or more and my feeble mind is foggy. The question was more than a little rhetorical. Was hoping that someone would know for sure about the difference between the hp and lp hose draining the tank.

I will watch the entire vid again. It was fun the first time, I remember that much.:smiley36:

ScubaToys Larry
09-11-2009, 12:28
Was hoping that someone would know for sure about the difference between the hp and lp hose draining the tank.

Oh, I know for sure! But I don't want to give away the end of the movie! :smiley36:

WaScubaDude
09-11-2009, 12:47
Great vid! U R right, shoulda watched it to the end the 1st time.

Is the pool on site at ST?

ScubaToys Larry
09-11-2009, 17:24
Great vid! U R right, shoulda watched it to the end the 1st time.

Is the pool on site at ST?

Yup.. that's where we do out training....

Chilkie
11-12-2009, 13:23

Totally agree with you on this one. I have a dive alert solely for emergency situations. I do not use it otherwise.
They really are invaluable as safety devices.

KE5AFU
11-12-2009, 20:05
Just wondering, did I miss the video of the Dive Alert Plus sounding above / underwater?

PhD4JC
04-22-2010, 09:39
"regular" buddies are more fantasy than reality for many of us
I have been a member of a dive club since 2004, but have never gotten the opprotunity to dive with them outside of the country--which is where I prefer to do most of my diving.

I would love to have a husband/best friend who dives that I can vacation with, but that is not my reality.

Invest in good buddies. I assure you, they'll make your diving more enjoyable than any noisemaker. Use the boards, talk to your LDS, but get regular buddies. They're out there.

Bill22
04-22-2010, 22:38
"regular" buddies are more fantasy than reality for many of us
I have been a member of a dive club since 2004, but have never gotten the opprotunity to dive with them outside of the country--which is where I prefer to do most of my diving.

I would love to have a husband/best friend who dives that I can vacation with, but that is not my reality.

@PhD4JC That can be a problem ;) I was active in my dive club in Japan. There were a handful of people that I did the majority of my diving there with. I also made fairly frequent dive trips, which were mostly alone. I generally either had a guide as a buddy, or hooked up with someone that I met there. Good luck on meeting someone on your side of the country. Maybe you'll meet someone at your favorite dive destination ;-)

@ Rainer I understand about investing in good dive buddies, but the "noisemaker" really is for emergencies. I've use my Dive Alert Plus twice now on the surface when the boat wasn't there to pick us up at the end of a drift dive (it happens) It's "emergency" equipment. Like anything else it can be abused ;)

joemamma
06-13-2010, 16:37
This is at the top of my "to buy" list.

Zeagle Eagle
06-14-2010, 10:25
I have been using mine for about a year now. I carry it on every dive. It has become one of my important safety tools. After a few dives on it the confusion of having an extra button on my inflator hose was gone. I barely notice that it is there. I have never actually used it underwater except to test it during safety stops. I try and always let my DM know, pre-dive, that I will be testing it during my safety stop. I have noticed that it seems to be a little more directional than a tank banger or carabiner. By that, I mean other divers tend to turn towards the sound rather than swiveling around 360 looking for a tank banger.

I usually inflate my DAN SMB with it (it fits the SMB inflator valve perfectly) on ascent just to stay in practice both with the Sausage and the Dive Alert.

After a post dive rinse I soak my regs and my Dive alert in filtered water at home prior to storing it.

I don't use it to point out pretty fish or to get my buddies attention. For me, it is emergency use only.

joemamma
07-03-2010, 20:16
Dive alert has arrived. Now I just need to get it wet!!

10-24-2010, 02:50
I hope my wife is watching this forum for Christmas!

softballer
12-19-2010, 14:53
Probably going to pick one of these up soon.

TotDoc
12-18-2012, 04:51
Hmm...last minute addition to my christmas list, I think...

Zeagle Eagle
12-18-2012, 08:38
What? It's been 4 years since I got mine I think? Yep, I still wouldn't dive without it. It's become second nature to me. It works just as well today as it did when I got it. I am OCD about cleaning my gear and after I get home from a trip. I have been known to soak my regs in distilled water or RO water every once in a blue moon. Ouch, that was my wife with a slap up side the head. Okay, I do it every time. In any case my DAP looks like it just came out of the package. I do use it to inflate my DAN SMB and test it at my safety stop. It sounds just like a duck.

Let me mention once again to all you slow leaks out there. Don't use it to point out pretty fish or get someone's attention. It is annoying and should only be used in an emergency, like if your buddy just shot you with a spear gun or a shark just bit off your leg.

mcr0112
01-04-2018, 22:42
I know this is an old thread but I enjoyed reading it. I think when I go pick up my regs from ST I'll look into getting one. This year we're going on a live aboard and I think it might be a good piece of equiptment to have.
As for diving buddies I use my brother. We're both old school trained on one reg ( no octo) no BCD, no pressure gauge, no depth gauge, and a J valve for your reserve. I personally have found out that a J valve can & will be in the wrong position. Was trained & practiced emrgemency ascents and had to do one after trusting the J valve.
Now I have all the normal stuff along with 2 computers. We'll have our own DM on the safari but still????
Thanks for all the comments.