PDA

View Full Version : Compass ????

Bill22
02-11-2009, 06:53
I'm looking to buy a new compass. My current compass is attached to a slate with a retractor I hook to my BC. Since I'm moving to a BP/W setup with a HOG harness, I'll have only 2 D-Rings on my chest. One will have my camera attached to it, and the other my backup light. I want to move the compass to my wrist.

I like Dive Rite gear and was initially going to buy a Dive Rite Compass. I was quite surprised when I read the reviews of the DR on ST. NOT ONE good review. It seemed like no one had anything good to say :(

I'm open to input :) I've been looking at the Suunto SK7. The compass gets great reviews, but most people don't seem to like the wrist strap. I'm thinking to get the bungee mounts for it.

Any comments? Suggestions? Other compass' to look at before making a final purchase?

Thanks!

Jiblets
02-11-2009, 07:28
The Suunto sk7 is a solid compass. I like mine a lot.

DSS makes some nice Compass mounts. It's on my DSS wish list, and will order it when the list is large enough.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?category=instruments

CWSWine
02-11-2009, 07:34
Call or PM ST and tell tell them you have a compass on a slate and for a few bucks they can get you a wrist mount and just take you compass off your slate. The trick is that they have to dig though there wrist boots and find the old style boot since the compass will not fit the new style.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/accessories/pics/wristboot.jpg

mm_dm
02-11-2009, 07:40
Dive Rite Express has the Suunto SK7 in a wrist mount with the bungies, but it's mighty pricey. CW has a nice, more affordable alternative in his post.

hooligan
02-11-2009, 07:44
SK7 and DSS boot. Aint nothin' better. Buy it nice or buy it twice ;)

mm_dm
02-11-2009, 07:55

Yup, buy it nice or buy it twice...or three times or four times. Get what you want the first time or you'll be excusing yourself later as some kind of "Collector".

fire diver
02-11-2009, 08:00

Yup, buy it nice or buy it twice...or three times or four times. Get what you want the first time or you'll be excusing yourself later as some kind of "Collector".

+2.

SK7 and DSS boot with bungie. Best diving compass out there.

Jiblets
02-11-2009, 08:02

Agreed!!!

I bought what looked like a good compass off of ebay for cheap (was planning on lending it out to students for their navigation). Too bad it sticks at a certain angle and tilt. I still have it as I can't bring myself to pawn it off on someone else.

Also, Suunto started out just making compasses so they know what they're doing.

ReefHound
02-11-2009, 08:25
I just bought a Suunto M-9 on Amazon for $21 based on the recommendation of some divers on SB who have been using them underwater for a few years. It is a low profile unit with a velcro strap.

I have the SK-7 on a bungee mount but it developed a leak and now has a humongous bubble. I bought it used so my tough luck. I will attempt a home repair one day. It was wonderful as far as performance goes but I never liked how bulky it was.

I also have a Genesis wrist mount that has performed just fine. It is not the bungee mount and it is a pain to deal with the rubber watch strap, specially with gloves on. My computers are all bungee mount.

eunjea
02-11-2009, 08:52
Suunto SK6 or SK7.

DMWiz
02-11-2009, 08:55
Another vote for the SK7 on the DSS boot. All the cool kids have them! :D

Vercingetorix
02-11-2009, 09:15
First, if you really like your compass on a slate, you can keep it, and use your D-ring for other gear. Attach it with the skdvr/jajawarrior mod (http://forum.scubatoys.com/dir-tec-gear/20983-backup-lights-d-rings.html): go to posting #43. I dive a BP/W, and I use this mod because I always carry a backup light, but I want room for other things on the left-shoulder D-ring (I carry a P&S camera there as well. Your slate/compass would be the item that goes through the loop of bungee.

Now, if you're just looking to streamline, do as the others suggested. When I went BP/W, I moved my compass from my console to the wrist; console was on a retractor, which is Satan's own device.

acamato
02-11-2009, 10:54
I have read nothing but positive reviews of the DSS mount for the SK7. That is why it is on my list of quipment to purchase. Time to get the SK7 off the console..... When I get I new computer I will make sure that I will get the DSS mount for it also...

Straegen
02-11-2009, 12:05
+1 to the SK7 and replacing the crap strap it comes with. You would think manus would catch a clue and start selling optional mounts for these products.

BSea
02-11-2009, 12:07

DSS makes some nice Compass mounts. It's on my DSS wish list, and will order it when the list is large enough.

+2.

Suunto SK6 or SK7.

Another vote for the SK7 on the DSS boot. All the cool kids have them! :DThat says it all. And if you need another recommendation, here's mine :)

Splitlip
02-11-2009, 12:07
Good advise from all.

But remember also, you can use 1 d-ring for multiple tools.

I clip my camera and car keys off with my light.

CompuDude
02-11-2009, 12:09

+2.

Suunto SK6 or SK7.

Another vote for the SK7 on the DSS boot. All the cool kids have them! :DThat says it all. And if you need another recommendation, here's mine :)

And mine. I own two SK-7s + DSS mounts. Nothing better.

hooligan
02-11-2009, 18:16
I find this kinda funny. I think the SK7 is the only piece of kit that almost every diver will agree on. Try that with regs, fins, bcd/bpw, and you'll get as many different opionons as there are stars in the sky.

Splitlip
02-11-2009, 18:32
I find this kinda funny. I think the SK7 is the only piece of kit that almost every diver will agree on. Try that with regs, fins, bcd/bpw, and you'll get as many different opionons as there are stars in the sky.

Only if they've used one.:)

Splitlip
02-11-2009, 18:43
Any special procedure for removing the SK-7 from the Suunto wrist boot.

Different from other boots.

+2.

Suunto SK6 or SK7.

And mine. I own two SK-7s + DSS mounts. Nothing better.

mangrovejack
02-11-2009, 19:33
I soaked mine in a bowl of hot/warm water for around 20 minutes and it made it much easier to remove.

Jiblets
02-11-2009, 19:41

Oh, found 1 guy who didn't like his. Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqzEeXE9KtU)

Splitlip
02-11-2009, 19:46
Holy crap!

That is pretty distressing. At least for me the Coldest water I have ever experienced was just below 60F

Splitlip
02-11-2009, 19:51
I soaked mine in a bowl of hot/warm water for around 20 minutes and it made it much easier to remove.

How hot was the water?

Anything special with the bezil ring? Do I remove that first or will the entire compass come out as a unit?

CompuDude
02-12-2009, 01:26

How hot was the water?

Anything special with the bezil ring? Do I remove that first or will the entire compass come out as a unit?

Hot enough to be uncomfortable, not hot enough to burn. The heat will soften the plastic and make removing it easier.

hooligan
02-12-2009, 03:32

Oh, found 1 guy who didn't like his. Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqzEeXE9KtU)

Makes me want to do a science experiment with my compass...

MSilvia
02-12-2009, 09:18
I have the SK-7 on a DSS wrist mount too. I've taken mine on multiple ice dives with no sign of any problem.

ReefHound
02-12-2009, 09:41
A compass that had leaked out all the oil, then been refilled with water and sealed, might exhibit that behaviour in extreme cold.

Scout
02-12-2009, 18:19
I've got one of those slate & compass combo's and I hate it. The needle seems to stick for no apparent reason. I used it on a live-aboard last summer and had to beat on it continuously to get a decent bearing.

I've been avoiding the SK7 because of sticker shock, but I really think this is an area to sink some $$ if you boat dive or like to do navigation stuff.

cbope
02-19-2009, 13:30
How much do SK-7's cost in the US? I've seen a few complaints about the price. I live in Suunto's backyard (~3 miles from their headquarters) and while I would not consider them cheap here, I think the price is reasonable for the quality.

DMWiz
02-19-2009, 16:57
I just saw 2 of them close for less than $40 on ebay! And I know of one online store that sells them new for $75

CompuDude
02-19-2009, 19:11
How much do SK-7's cost in the US? I've seen a few complaints about the price. I live in Suunto's backyard (~3 miles from their headquarters) and while I would not consider them cheap here, I think the price is reasonable for the quality.

Cheapest, if you have the right kind of mount (or intend to reinstall in a DSS mount so stock mount is irrelevant), is about $55 at LeisurePro (http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=dtSearch&Term=suunto%20sk7). More normal price is around $75, if memory serves.

They don't come up used very often, either. Occasionally, but not often. People tend to keep them until they die.

ektess1
02-19-2009, 19:15
I have the SK-7 in a DSS mount. Fill Express is my LDS. The SK-7 and mount that they have looks identical to mine. If it is not in a DSS mount, I'll eat it.

Black-Gorrilla
02-19-2009, 20:22

You are right... this might be the only piece of gear that divers agree about...
It's an awesome compass. I have to add my vote for the SK7 with DSS mount... It's a must.
here's a picture... just to make you need it even more!!!
(and yes, my BT DSS mount has some pink in it for some odd reason)
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u205/Black-Gorrilla/IMG00064.jpg

reactive
03-16-2009, 18:48
I just bought a Suunto M-9 on Amazon for $21 based on the recommendation of some divers on SB who have been using them underwater for a few years. It is a low profile unit with a velcro strap.

I have the SK-7 on a bungee mount but it developed a leak and now has a humongous bubble. I bought it used so my tough luck. I will attempt a home repair one day. It was wonderful as far as performance goes but I never liked how bulky it was.

I also have a Genesis wrist mount that has performed just fine. It is not the bungee mount and it is a pain to deal with the rubber watch strap, specially with gloves on. My computers are all bungee mount.

Any thoughts yet on that M-9 ReefHound?

ReefHound
03-16-2009, 19:30
Any thoughts yet on that M-9 ReefHound?

I haven't dived it yet but I don't think I'm going to like it. It is very sensitive to locking up, has a very low tilt tolerance. we'll see.

buddhasummer
03-18-2009, 16:51
I too use a SK-7 with DSS mount, works, I like it.

reactive
03-18-2009, 18:30
Does the DSS mount kit come with the bungee cord? If not, where's the best place to pick some up?

Rainer
03-18-2009, 18:33
I got bungee with my DSS mounts.

If you want extra, I've gotten it at REI.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
03-18-2009, 18:34

+1 to REI

CompuDude
03-18-2009, 19:10

+1 to REI

Climbing shops in general often carry it. Ditto for boating supply stores, like West Marine.

DMWiz
03-18-2009, 20:07
Does the DSS mount kit come with the bungee cord? If not, where's the best place to pick some up?

If you buy the SK7 DSS compass boot from piranha (http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=31779&cat=120) they include 2ft of bungee with your order.

I've also gotten large amounts of bungee fairly cheap from eBay.

heydn62
03-25-2009, 11:39
I have a wrist computer and a console without a compass. I'm trying to decide how to add a compass to my setup.

I'm looking at these 3 options:

Quick Release Compass (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=QRCompass)

Clip Mount Compass (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ClipMountCompass)

Hose Mount Compass (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=HoseMountCompass)

They are all the same price here at ST.

Anyone have any experiences or opinions on which may be preferable?

Is the hose mounted compass easy to mount, or do you have to remove the hose and/or console?

CompuDude
03-26-2009, 00:31
I have a wrist computer and a console without a compass. I'm trying to decide how to add a compass to my setup.

To be perfectly honest, none of the above.

There is no finer dive compass on the market today than the Suunto SK-7.

(unless you want to get into military tac boards and other unlikely hardware)

Sadly, ScubaToys doesn't carry it. So that's one piece of gear I'd go elsewhere to find.

MSilvia
03-26-2009, 11:05
I agree. If I'm diving without a wrist-mount Suunto SK-7, I'm almost certainly missing it.

Rainer
03-26-2009, 11:47
I agree. If I'm diving without a wrist-mount Suunto SK-7, I'm almost certainly missing it.

Scooter mounted SK-7s are also quite nice...

mitsuguy
03-26-2009, 15:20
If you were to decide against the SK7 Suunto (which I currently have and love), the next best choice, IMO, is the Diverite compass that ST does sell... it comes with two different attachment options and can easily be threaded with bungee too.. it can attach to the HP hose with its included kit, or worn on your wrist... pretty handy... that being said, it doesn't deal with the kind of tilt that the suunto does, and I prefer my wrist mounted suunto (I have both if that wasn't clear)

heydn62
03-27-2009, 17:58
I have some questions about the Suunto SK-7:

I'm seeing that the SK-7 is sold calibrated to a certain zone. If it is calibrated for zone 1, what difference will you see if you go into zone 2 (most of the Caribbean)?

Is calibration something the typical user can do on their own?

For practical diving purposes, does this really matter?

http://www.leisurepro.com/image/promotion/sunt_zone.jpg

hooligan
03-27-2009, 20:03
Moving to adjacent zones shouldn't be a big deal. You probably won't notice a difference using a zone 1 compass in zone 2. You would only have to worry if you were taking a zone 1 to zone 4 or 5.

CPTOZZY
03-27-2009, 22:01

Quick Release Compass (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=QRCompass)

Clip Mount Compass (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ClipMountCompass)

Hose Mount Compass (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=HoseMountCompass)

They are all the same price here at ST.

Anyone have any experiences or opinions on which may be preferable?

Is the hose mounted compass easy to mount, or do you have to remove the hose and/or console?

I have a console mounted compass which is kinda a PITA to use, because of how you have to hold the console, and I have a wrist mounted Compass which is easier to use.

When I know I will use my compass I wear my wrist mounted one

mitsuguy
03-28-2009, 07:16
Moving to adjacent zones shouldn't be a big deal. You probably won't notice a difference using a zone 1 compass in zone 2. You would only have to worry if you were taking a zone 1 to zone 4 or 5.

Correct... I am technically in Zone 2, but both our compasses are "zone 1 compasses"

It is not something you can calibrate yourself - it has to do with how the compass is balanced - it keeps the needle from "dipping" too far and preventing the compass from turning...

When compared to a GPS, we have essentially just the magnetic variation difference, everything else works fine...

CompuDude
03-30-2009, 18:34

Actually, it all depends on how you;'re trying to use it. North is north, all that changes is the angle at which the needle card lays in the module. You may have to tilt your wrist a bit, but it'll still work, and it'll still point north.

Frankly, even if it didn't point North exactly it wouldn't matter unless you're trying to follow a map with compass headings to get somewhere. Otherwise it's all relative. As long as you know what heading you need to take on YOUR compass, and the needle points in a consistent direction (whatever that may be), you're going to get there if you follow it. Personally, I note the direction of land (or the boat) when I do a dive, based on my compass, and that's all I really need to keep in mind during the dive.

navyscuba8
05-24-2009, 06:13
I use a watch band compass because everything that can be done on the instrument console can be done on the watch. All you have to do is remember a second heading and reciprocal no lubber line's or marker's.