PDA

View Full Version : Where do you think the best diving in the world is?

tfriend
02-11-2009, 08:28
This has probably been asked a million times but im kind of new to the forum.

ektess1
02-11-2009, 08:48
It is where every I am diving right now. As long as I am wet I am happy.

DMWiz
02-11-2009, 08:52
I think the best diving is wherever you can get wet... But then again I'm biased because there happens to be great diving year round where I live.

Seriously, if I can get wet, it's great to me! I would love to go diving in far an exotic places and that list is endless, but I won't torture myself that way when I can drive 30 minutes and dive right here. But even if I didn't live here I would look at every opportunity to get wet as a great experience wherever that may be.

fire diver
02-11-2009, 10:15
Right now a bathtub would be the best place to dive.

Actually, you need to be more specific. What type of best diving?

Best cave/cavern? - Mexico
Best reef? - best I have seen is the Caymans, but I hear that Indo has the best.
Best drift? -Coz was pretty sweet.
Best wreck? - dunno yet
Saltwater wreck?
Freshwater wreck?
Best kelp? - dunno
Best quarry? - dunno
Best resevior? - Tablerock lake

CompuDude
02-11-2009, 12:17
Right now a bathtub would be the best place to dive.

Actually, you need to be more specific. What type of best diving?

Best cave/cavern? - Mexico
Best reef? - best I have seen is the Caymans, but I hear that Indo has the best.
Best drift? -Coz was pretty sweet.
Best wreck? - dunno yet
Saltwater wreck?
Freshwater wreck?
Best kelp? - dunno
Best quarry? - dunno
Best resevior? - Tablerock lake

Pretty good list. Indonesia probably has the world's best biodiversity in reef life. Best saltwater wrecks are probably Truk Lagoon, or for the technically inclined with DEEP pockets, Bikini Atoll is supposed to be pretty fracking amazing.

Best Kelp is probably Monterey, followed by the Channel Islands in SoCal. Can't help with quarries and reservoirs, I prefer salt in my dive water!

Straegen
02-11-2009, 14:31
I know this probably doesn't factor into this discussion from a pure diving perspective, but I would also add into my consideration non-diving activities as well as food and accommodations.

JCAT
02-11-2009, 15:16
Gonna go with ektess1 (http://forum.scubatoys.com/members/ektess1.html) on this one. What you mean by best may be different than others.

tfriend
02-11-2009, 15:38
It doesnt really matter...if you could pick one place you could go for free...where would it be?

JCAT
02-11-2009, 16:10
Well, if it's a free trip, I'm going to Marathon, FL. (Go there about twice a year)

MSilvia
02-11-2009, 16:10
I'm tempted to say Palau, but if I could really do it for free, I'm sure there are "expedition" dives I might be more interested in. You know... some unspoiled pristine reef you basically can't get to commercially.

ektess1
02-11-2009, 16:16
If it were free, it would be Bikini wrecks. The Helium is free also, right?

JCAT
02-11-2009, 16:30
Well, if it's a free trip, I'm going to Marathon, FL. (Go there about twice a year)

If I could pick anywhere to try as new though, I would go to the Red Sea or perhaps someplace strange.

fire diver
02-11-2009, 23:07
Free? Either Truk lagoon, or someplace in Indonesia.

DMWiz
02-12-2009, 11:13
For free, I would like to go pretty much anywhere in the South Pacific!

Dlass
03-26-2009, 07:05
What about Philippines for free? I would love to go there!

setesh
03-26-2009, 10:23
If someone else is picking up the ticket I'm gonna have to say Galapagos or maybe Phillippenes

DivingAnarchy.info
03-27-2009, 01:05
Puerto Galera Phillipines. Probaply one of the most diverse places; wrecks, deep, shallow, muck, reef, pelagics, drift.

WV Diver
03-27-2009, 06:43
For wildlife diversity, both fish and reef.........hands down, Indonesia. For large Pelagic animals I would say The Galapagos Islands. For fun in the sun a great diving, somewhere in the Caribbean.

mcilrathmj
08-29-2009, 10:06
Palau was a great dive location! I was there in 2004 and I do say everything about Sams tours was a great experience in and out of the water. The reefs and the sea life was the best I have seen in one location. Out of the water the WW2 history was great as well.
Over all a great place to relax!

snagel
08-30-2009, 03:20
I'm thinking Palau as well; although, I've never been there. I've read a lot about it and think it would be a dream - full of great diving and great history.

Snagel

Travelnsj
08-30-2009, 09:28
For free?...It would be a coin toss....Raja Ampat...Palau....Lembeh Straits.

chinacat46
08-30-2009, 09:52
If I wanted to repeat a place it would be either Raja Ampat or Lembeh Strait. For someplace new it would be a toss up of Ambon or Triton Bay on a liveaboard or better a liveaboard to both. Might as well do both it's free right!

comet24
08-30-2009, 10:03
If it were free, it would be Bikini wrecks. The Helium is free also, right?

That's my pick if it's free.

jugglematt
08-30-2009, 23:03
for me the best diving incorporates a number of things , including facilities on shore , local culture and of course the dive sites.

i think the best diving holidays ive had would be on live aboard trips in the Solomon islands .

it has
healthy reef ,
big fish action,
critters
walls
blue water
uncrowded dive sites
great boat to dive from (the spirit of solomons )
friendly people

of all the places ive been to i would pick the solomons , it gives me a warm happy feeling everytime i go and ive been there 6 times.

Matty

Travelnsj
08-31-2009, 00:30
I forgot....if I could do a LOB for 10 days....Eastern Fields!