PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Doing For That Special Someone For Valentine's Day?

Vercingetorix
02-12-2009, 09:12
I could put this in the Man Laws forum, but then the only sound would be crickets chirping.

Skred
02-12-2009, 09:19
My wife said just yesterday that she considers Valentine's Day a cheap Hallmark holiday and isn't expecting anything...

Right, like I'm gonna fall for that one!

She's getting flowers, chocolate, a nice bottle of wine and I'm firing up the grill!

I ain't no fool...:smiley36:

TRACI
02-12-2009, 09:29
I think Valentines Day is a corporate commercial invented holiday, so just another day for me. Me and my hubby will be celebrating Mardi Gras festivities.

shawnwill36
02-12-2009, 09:30
im getting my favorite a new dive computer for valentines day. man, i cant wait to use it :)

Straegen
02-12-2009, 09:31
VD should be avoided at all costs!

gNats
02-12-2009, 09:32
im getting my favorite a new dive computer for valentines day. man, i cant wait to use it :)

Hey Shawn, I hear you!

I am all about treating that special someone, me, well.

Heck, I almost treat me too well!

Sooooooo, what kind of computer! Give the details!

gNats
02-12-2009, 09:33
VD should be avoided at all costs!

Exactly. That's why the surgeon general recommends abstinence or using protection.

What does that have to do with buying a card?

:smilie39:

CamaroChick
02-12-2009, 09:35
My wife said just yesterday that she considers Valentine's Day a cheap Hallmark holiday and isn't expecting anything...

Right, like I'm gonna fall for that one!

She's getting flowers, chocolate, a nice bottle of wine and I'm firing up the grill!

I ain't no fool...:smiley36:

Smart man!

Diver Kat
02-12-2009, 09:45
I could put this in the Man Laws forum, but then the only sound would be crickets chirping. LOL ....

We're doing a nice filiet mignon dinner at home, probably watch a funny movie. So much nicer than going out into the rat race that night!!

MSilvia
02-12-2009, 09:48
We're going out for dinner and a movie on sunday and leaving the baby with her grandparents. I got her a big jar of active manuka honey as a gift too.

nrembis
02-12-2009, 09:49
My wife wanted the blue tusa zooms, so I just ordered them for her, other than that will probably just go out to eat, minus our 3 kids :icon_cheesygrin:

Queen
02-12-2009, 09:51
I think Valentines Day is a corporate commercial invented holiday, so just another day for me.

We're the same way, no Hallmark holidays get celebrated.

Foo2
02-12-2009, 09:54
We don't make a big deal out of V-Day usually. Fooman2 typically gets me some flowers and we go to dinner. That's plenty for me. I don't want him spending a lot of money on something like V-Day. Now our 10 year anniversary this summer....that's another story. :D This year Fooman2 got new zooms early for V-Day. It's driving him insane cause they are still dry. Poor guy, I feel his pain.

Queen
02-12-2009, 09:59
...Now our 10 year anniversary this summer....that's another story. :D ...
Ditto that! Our 20th is next January and we're going all out...most likely to Bonaire!

sidneydiver
02-12-2009, 10:09
Currently I live in Orlando and my hubbie lives in London, so that doesn't work out well for the whole celebrating thing! We've sent each other cards and I have a substitute 'date' for Saturday!

ScubaJ
02-12-2009, 10:17
V-Day is pretty much a corporate holiday, so I/we don't do anything special. Not to mention that I don't do too well with crowds.

However, I bring my honey flowers on a semi regular basis, and she's never lacking for sweets.

My moto is.... I can treat you like a Queen every day of the year. Or I revert back to Neanderthal like behavior and only treat you like a Queen on V-Day. She usually goes with the "every day" option.

navyhmc
02-12-2009, 10:24
My wife is a member of Sweet Adelines, so Friday and Saturday she is going to be out doing singing valenties all over town. I have to work V-day too so I'm taking her out Monday for Lunch and a show. OF course if I didn't leave out the box of chocolates Saturday morning, I would be in fear for my life!!!

chicken
02-12-2009, 10:54
I am a victim of the inter-office women wars. All of the girls compare who got the nicest arrangement and we guys suffer from their competition.

My current sweetie is getting a dozen south american roses, vase, candy, card, and bottle of wine. I hope one of the other boyfriends or husbands don't one up me this year!

Wonder what I'm getting? Certainly not a case of beer, free air fills, and a tank of gas.

Vercingetorix
02-12-2009, 11:43
From several of the "Hallmark holiday" remarks, I'm not feeling the love here.

It all started in Rome (http://www.essortment.com/all/valentinesday_rmhv.htm).

cowgirldiver
02-12-2009, 12:04
For 20 years now, I've worked the Valentines day week at one of our local flower shops. All I know is that if your wife works in an office full of women, it is a good thing to have her flowers delivered to the office. Everytime I go in somewhere like that, everyone crowds up to see who the flowers are for. All the nonreceivers look very sad. I feel sorry for their husbands. My personal favorites are not red roses but the peach (not pink). You don't see them very often-we also carry a lilac that is unusual and a few times I've seen a true orange.

tfriend
02-12-2009, 12:26
How come the women dont get the men v day gifts?

Diver Kat
02-12-2009, 12:32
Who says they don't?? I've gotten my guy gifts, lots of times.

gNats
02-12-2009, 12:33

Who said they don't?

When I am in a relationship, I do recognize my guy with a gift. Usually, I will cook his favorite meal at home on Val Day to avoid the crowds. Especially if it is a work night. I always send/give a card with a special memory of something we have shared together or that I appreciate of him.

fire diver
02-12-2009, 12:47
Well, I had ordered a very nice flower assortment to be delivered to my wife at home since VD falls on SAT. I just talked with her and she's going out of town to her sisters that day! :(

So I called my mom and she is going to pick up the flowers for her so they don't get stolen off the porch. Of course it ruined the suprise for her since SHE'S out of town that day too, so she's picking up her own as well.

Oh well, I tried. Last year worked out much better.

navyhmc
02-12-2009, 12:49
I usually get something on Val-Day....:smiley9:

Lulubelle
02-12-2009, 12:51

The right kind of women do! I'm not one for Hallmark holidays to be honest, I'd rather a guy do something sweet just because he is thinking of me, not because Hallmark tells him to, but that thoughtfulness should go both ways.

I also get cards for my mom, best friends, nieces and nephews, brothers.

Foo2
02-12-2009, 12:55

My husband got Tusa Zooms.:smiley20:

TRACI
02-12-2009, 14:38
I am a victim of the inter-office women wars. All of the girls compare who got the nicest arrangement and we guys suffer from their competition.

It is kind of amusing to see how women act that work in large offices. Guys do suffer from their competition. Its all about who receives the best gifts, just to impress their co-workers. Luckily, I am out of that kind of office, and my job is with a shop full of guys.

MSilvia
02-12-2009, 14:56
No doubt... my wife was working at a high-end upscale salon until she decided to be a stay-at-home mom for a while. Last year I sent her a "Vera Wang" box of roses. It wasn't so much the flowers that made the gift, as the oohing and aahing of her clients and co-workers.

MSilvia
02-12-2009, 15:00
Thanks to Tom Birdsey, we have March 14th.

Diver Kat
02-12-2009, 15:19
Thanks to Tom Birdsey, we have March 14th.
Not quite the Hallmark Card day is it??:smiley2: Although I'm sure you guys would like to have it declared a National Holiday!

TRACI
02-12-2009, 15:36
No doubt... my wife was working at a high-end upscale salon until she decided to be a stay-at-home mom for a while. Last year I sent her a "Vera Wang" box of roses. It wasn't so much the flowers that made the gift, as the oohing and aahing of her clients and co-workers.

Vera Wang roses would be impressive, that would give a girl some bragging rights.

MSilvia
02-12-2009, 16:14
Vera Wang roses would be impressive, that would give a girl some bragging rights.
In a designer-conscious place like that salon, the Vera Wang box was enough to give her bragging rights. I don't think the contents of the box had much to do with it.

MSilvia
02-12-2009, 16:15
Not quite the Hallmark Card day is it??:smiley2:
It would have to be quite a card.

Just Dave
02-12-2009, 17:15
Out here, The girls buy for the guys on Feb 14th. Then the guy should reciprocate in kind on March 14th. I kinda like this system!

I'm hoping for some fancy label stuff. Names like Craftsman, Snap-on, Castrol.... Oh Wait! I'm in the Ladie's forum!

I'm hoping for a nice box of chocolates and a romantic dinner, followed by a long intimate conversation about our "feelings".

WHew! I think I covered OK.

Vercingetorix
02-12-2009, 17:28
It would have to be quite a card.Something like:

It's March fourteenth,
It's a guy's special day.
Sit back and enjoy,
As I give you a... steak.

Diver Kat
02-12-2009, 17:38
It would have to be quite a card.Something like:

It's March fourteenth,
It's a guy's special day.
Sit back and enjoy,
As I give you a... steak.

V ... poetry is not quite your forte!! :smilie39:

Splitlip
02-12-2009, 18:16
I'm going to Miami with 2 of my friends. Why do you ask?

Lulubelle
02-12-2009, 18:55

Wow, that's cold, leaving both ladies at home while you are at the boat show? Better bring home a new boat then...

Aquatrax
02-12-2009, 18:55

My current sweetie is getting a dozen south american roses, vase, candy, card, and bottle of wine. I hope one of the other boyfriends or husbands don't one up me this year!

Wonder what I'm getting? Certainly not a case of beer, free air fills, and a tank of gas.

i feel your pain, I send mine 18 roses, just so she has a bigger bouquet than the others

Splitlip
02-12-2009, 19:19

Wow, that's cold, leaving both ladies at home while you are at the boat show? Better bring home a new boat then...

Yup. And, I'm leaving my daughter at home as well. It's a man law though.

Splitlip
02-12-2009, 19:24
Reminds me of something really stupid I did as a student.

A girl told me she wished that somebody would send her "just one rose, not a bouquet, just one rose." Well I did.
They charge you for the entire dozen. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

i feel your pain, I send mine 18 roses, just so she has a bigger bouquet than the others

Lulubelle
02-12-2009, 19:40
Yup. And, I'm leaving my daughter at home as well. It's a man law though.

Umm, your daughter was one of the two I was referring to...never mind, I don't want to know.

A girl told me she wished that somebody would send her "just one rose, not a bouquet, just one rose." Well I did.
They charge you for the entire dozen. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

I much prefer to see a fellow standing in front of me with a flower or several in his hands. It is beautiful to behold and reflects more care than delivery IMHO.

One recent beau cut them from his own rosebushes and brought them to me...very nice.

There is something special about a single flower.

Splitlip
02-12-2009, 19:47
I was at school. I could not present them in person. Otherwise I would have bought one from the guy on the side of the road.

CFDAlden
02-13-2009, 01:21
I usually get something on Val-Day....:smiley9:

'zactly! The best gifts are free, or so they say. :D

We skip the VD weekend, and go out the next. Dinner, move, and no kids! :)

ScubaJenn81
02-13-2009, 07:04
We do something quite small for VDay as my husband's birthday is the 15th and mine is the 17th.

ektess1
02-13-2009, 13:06
I do absolutely nothing for VD. I guess I should get a shot or something.

Vercingetorix
02-13-2009, 13:32
I cook a special dinner for the lady of the house. Chocolate is my specialty.

Lulubelle
02-13-2009, 14:45
I cook a special dinner for the lady of the house. Chocolate is my specialty.

:smiley32::smiley32::smiley32::smiley32::smiley32:

And V, SO much fun can be HAD with chocolate too! Especially a dark chocolate fondue....have fun!

Splitlip
02-14-2009, 07:06
The boat show is going great guns. We got to Miami Beach and checked out South Beach. Had a couple beers then headed to the show.

They are dealing! No surprise there. We ordered up a customized leaning post, picked up a portable shower and tested one of the new Evenrude E-Tecs. SWEET!

The leaning post will be delivered up to North Palm in 3 weeks and I'll have an excuse to head to the Keys again.

My 3rd buddy is joining us today and we'll be shopping for misc. hardware. Shaping up to be a great weekend.

Lulubelle
02-14-2009, 07:19
The boat show is going great guns. We got to Miami Beach and checked out South Beach. Had a couple beers then headed to the show.

They are dealing! No surprise there. We ordered up a customized leaning post, picked up a portable shower and tested one of the new Evenrude E-Tecs. SWEET!

The leaning post will be delivered up to North Palm in 3 weeks and I'll have an excuse to head to the Keys again.

My 3rd buddy is joining us today and we'll be shopping for misc. hardware. Shaping up to be a great weekend.

This is the Valentine's thread SL, so which one of these folks is your Valentine and what are you doing for them? Let me guess, your special someone is...YOU...nothing wrong with a little self love.

Also, what the heck is a "leaning post"?

Vercingetorix
02-14-2009, 08:14
...nothing wrong with a little self love.
<CENSORED>

Also, what the heck is a "leaning post"?Thanks for asking. I was wondering as well.

Splitlip
02-14-2009, 11:56
http://www.nauticaldesigninc.com/ImagesSept2007/LEANING1/IMG_0207_JPGs.jpg (http://www.nauticaldesigninc.com/ImagesSept2007/LEANING1/IMG_0207_JPG.html)

actually, very similar to thishttp://www.nauticaldesigninc.com/lean7sm.jpg (http://www.nauticaldesigninc.com/lean7sm.htm) to be exact

Merrimorte
02-16-2009, 05:38
Well considering my s.o. is overseas touring... i didnt get a romantic night out.. but he still did manage to send me roses! <: