PDA

View Full Version : Computer/Compass on Wrist Band

Straegen
02-15-2009, 17:35
I am thinking someone has created a commercial solution for mounting a computer and compass onto a neoprene wrist band. I know there are some custom mounts with bungee available, but I thinking a bit more low tech where the gauges are attached to a wrist band using their own mount and band. Maybe some superstretch neoprene with some sewn in tabs to hold the bands in place.

Anyone know of anything like this or someone who could roll one of these up for a decent price?

ektess1
02-15-2009, 20:13
Some compass/computers that come in a console are available also wrist mounted. Get the manufactor's wrist strap. Take what you have out of the console. Put it on the wrist strap.
IMO the bungies are better. If your strap breaks you lose your compass. If a bungy breaks you still have one and get to keep your gear.

Straegen
02-15-2009, 21:55
I have separate computer and compass in wrist boots already. What I want to do is find a neoprene wrist band and attach them to that rather than buy new boots and bungee them.

I think it would be relatively easy to create a 5" wrist band with a couple of tabs sewn on. I could just run the existing gauge bands through the tabs and then fasten them very loosely. The would be held in place by the tabs. Hoping to find one rather than dust off my seamstress skills though.

Splitlip
02-15-2009, 22:00
You are on the money.

I'm gonna cut up a kid's wetsuit and use Aquaseal. If I like it, I'll have it stitched.

I have separate computer and compass in wrist boots already. What I want to do is find a neoprene wrist band and attach them to that rather than buy new boots and bungee them.

I think it would be relatively easy to create a 5" wrist band with a couple of tabs sewn on. I could just run the existing gauge bands through the tabs and then fasten them very loosely. The would be held in place by the tabs. Hoping to find one rather than dust off my seamstress skills though.

mangrovejack
02-16-2009, 00:37
I've had the same idea for a while too. It would be cool if you could get something like Tobins DSS elastomeric mounts except it doesn't come with bungee holes, but instead a tab on either side that could be custom sewed onto the neoprene wrist band.

Straegen
02-16-2009, 00:56
I am really surprised nobody has created this setup for resale. It is a pretty simple item to create, would fit almost any wrist mounted gauge on the market without modification, compression adjustment would be eliminated, very secure and it would be fairly cheap to make.

I think Oxycheq has created a clear wrist setup for maps and such. Not a far jump for this product.

Heavy D
02-16-2009, 08:03
I'm curious to see how this comes out. I think it's a good idea, but I also think that I would like some sort of redundant fastening system tp prevent instrument loss.

I think I might work on this idea too.

Straegen
02-16-2009, 08:42
You really wouldn't need to since failure isn't as likely as a pin or strap fail. Even if a tab broke, the other tab would have to break as well. A nifty setup would be to have multiple tabs the band weaves through then complete failure is extremely unlikely.

If that wasn't enough more redundancy could be the watch band itself. You can fasten it just on a very high setting so your hand can slide through. The tabs would keep the watch from sliding around and secure, but if they failed the band itself would still be attached.

AndyDragon
02-16-2009, 11:57
I wasn't sure what the heck you were talking about in the first post, but now I understand. I think it's a brilliant idea. I've had a pin let go on my (expensive enough) Oceanic VT3. Luckily for me it was above the surface and I didn't loose my toy. It DID get me thinking about the what-if's of loosing it at depth...would I feel it. Certainly not if I'm wear my dry suit. This idea would instill a lot of confidence. Nice..

CompuDude
02-17-2009, 16:07
Considering the DSS mounts are both rock-solid reliable and cheap ($13 or so?), how cheap would something like this have to be in order to be worth bothering with?

If it's only going to sell for $5 or so, someone would have to sell quite a few to make it worth tooling up for. I'm just not sure I see the attraction... of course, I already have DSS mounts for my gear, so I'm not really the target market I guess.

Straegen
02-17-2009, 16:42
This assumes DSS even makes a mount for your compass and computer which combined I suppose would be around $25 since you could easily fit two or more (not sure why) on one band. My guess is you could make one for $5 or less and I would probably spend at least $15 on it if it was well done. Custom socks from LiquidFit are $15 I believe and it shouldn't be more difficult than that to make.

Straegen
02-21-2009, 23:52
Found one but it isn't cheap with more features though:

Accessories (http://terrapinwetsuits.com/accessor.htm)