PDA

View Full Version : the Crater, Heber Utah Update

Desert_Diver
02-16-2009, 14:09
Crater, Heber, UT Update
Just for giggles and grins, I thought I would post this update on the status of diving the Crater at Homestead Resort in Heber, Utah.

I was diving there on Sunday, Feb 15. Water temperature was 92 degrees F. As soon as I got in the water, I noticed the viz was worse than usual. As I was looking around with the trusty dive light, I noticed something funny about the bottom. I descended and sure enough, there was new wreckage on the bottom. It took me a moment of prowling around to figure out what I was looking at.

One of the "hot tub" platforms that hang off the "tee" of the dock had torn loose and sunk to the bottom. It looks like the screws just pulled out of the wood on the dock.

After I had exhasuted my air, I was talking to the lady at the compressor desk. She said the platform had ripped out on Saturday, Feb 14. It was apparently overloaded with "hot tubbers". Nobody was injured but it must have been quite a surprise.

The lady didn't know what the long term plan was.

CAUTION: Especially if you are a new diver, the Crater is an altitude dive. If you don't know what that means, don't go down to see the platform until you know how to plan an alitutude dive. Especially if you are going back to the Salt Lake valley via Parley's Summit, loitering on the bottom of the Crater can make you subject to the bends. If you do go down, plan on dumping nitrogen after the dive before you go home on I-80. (Going down Provo Canyon is OK. It's all down hill from Heber.)

Have fun. Dive safe.

Art

Landlocked Amphibian
02-16-2009, 18:32
I bet that was quite a surprise. I wonder if there were any divers down there that had to get out of the way.

How often do you dive at the crater? I did my OW dives there, but it is just too hot for me so I haven’t been back.

Desert_Diver
02-17-2009, 14:40
I bet that was quite a surprise. I wonder if there were any divers down there that had to get out of the way.

How often do you dive at the crater? I did my OW dives there, but it is just too hot for me so I havenít been back.

There were no divers down when it happened but the hot tubbers must have gotten a jolt.

I very seldom dive the Crater unless I am doing some sort of certification dive, or unless I am trying out a new piece of gear. To tell the truth, it's not a very interesting dive. Unless of course, they have just suffered a major structural failure. :smiley32:

Art

Landlocked Amphibian
02-17-2009, 15:05
When I started to read your post, I was thinking that maybe they added something to look at while diving. I agree that it is not very interesting. Maybe something that everyone should dive once just to say that you have. Although it is kind of boring, I wish I would have been there to see everyone freak out.

ScottW
02-17-2009, 16:07
Hopefully the 'wreckage' is flat on the bottom. That way nobody will be asking if it can be considered a wreck dive. :smiley36:
I can only imagine what was going through the minds of the 'tubbers'.

Landlocked Amphibian
02-18-2009, 00:26
Hopefully the 'wreckage' is flat on the bottom. That way nobody will be asking if it can be considered a wreck dive. :smiley36:

Isnít there a wagon wheel suspended in the water that you can swim through. Does that count as a wreck dive?

ScottW
02-18-2009, 12:18
Isnít there a wagon wheel suspended in the water that you can swim through. Does that count as a wreck dive?
:smilie39: Yeah divers wreck into all the time.

Desert_Diver
02-18-2009, 14:09

The platform is upside down on the bottom. So the rail on one side holds it up at an angle. Sure a shootin' some clown is going to try and slip in there. Get stuck. Panic. And stir silt up to decrease the viz. On the other hand, it will give the Fire Department divers some practice on recovery dives. :smilie39:

In all seriousness, the management will probably clean the mess up at their earliest convenience. If I were them, I would disassemble the platform into smaller and more manageable pieces and send them up on lift bags. And this time, fasten the platforms on with bolts, not screws.

chinacat46
02-18-2009, 15:42
Art,

Thanks for the report. Steve Weaver sends people out there for training this time of year.

Desert_Diver
02-19-2009, 14:46
I will be in the Crater on Saturday, Feb 21 for an Intro to Tech Cert dive. I will update the situation then.

calwolf
02-19-2009, 14:55
Thanks for the update... I'll likely be down there with a class sometime next month... wondering if the tub will still be down there then (something new to see in the crater!)

Desert_Diver
02-22-2009, 10:18
OK.

Second report.

I dove the Crater Saturday, February 21 about two pm. The hot tubber platform is still on the bottom. The viz is incredibley bad. About 10 feet or so. It appears the word is out and everybody and their idiot brother (especially the idiot brother without any bouyancy control) is dropping down to see it.

I guess in one respect, it was good. I was doing my cert dive for Intro to Tech so the low viz added an element of reality to holding position while shooting bags. :smilie39:

Further reports will be dependant on other folks diving the Crater. I'm done for a while.