PDA

View Full Version : What dry box works the best?

WC46
08-21-2007, 14:24
Shopping for a small dry box to put in my BC for some cash and a credit card or keys. Any recommendations on a brand that does not leak?

WV Diver
08-21-2007, 14:32
Pelican makes the best dry boxes as far as I am concerned.

diversteve
08-21-2007, 14:36
I've had the same Witz box for over 5 years. No leaks. I do have to take keys off their rings though usually, it's not very wide. Which may be why it hasn't leaked. C-Card, credit cards, about 4-5 bills and two normal keys fit. I think an electronic key would also but I've never tried it.

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=SeeItSafe

Darth Fishhead
08-21-2007, 18:12
I found it funny that the dry box from DAN was flooded the first time my parents used it. I hope their insurance works better! :smilie39:

Judestudio
08-21-2007, 21:36
Shopping for a small dry box to put in my BC for some cash and a credit card or keys. Any recommendations on a brand that does not leak?
I got a small Otter Box from ST for my keys, CC and cash etc. It's said to be waterproof up to 10 feet deep and got a lifetime warranty on it :smiley20:

namabiru
08-22-2007, 00:07
I found it funny that the dry box from DAN was flooded the first time my parents used it. I hope their insurance works better! :smilie39:

How ironic. I guess DAN was not their buddy that day. It would have been doubly ironic if somehow the dry box was put on DAN-endorsed equipment insurance.

Hmmm... how do the dry boxes you can find in the fishing/camping section at Wally World work?

3rdEye
08-22-2007, 00:28
are any of these going to stay dry at 60 feet?

chewyjr15
08-22-2007, 02:26
give st a call im sure they wont steer you in thw wrong direction

skdvr
08-22-2007, 08:30
I got a small Otter Box from ST for my keys, CC and cash etc. It's said to be waterproof up to 10 feet deep and got a lifetime warranty on it :smiley20:

Isn't it 100 ft.???

Phil

NitroWill
08-22-2007, 08:37

Isn't it 100 ft.???

Phil

Yep, OtterBoxes are rated to 100ft

Judestudio
08-22-2007, 08:38

Isn't it 100 ft.???

Phil
Yea, sorry typo, I did meant 100 ft. :smiley2:

ScaredSilly
08-22-2007, 10:17
I skip dry boxes, just wrap your credit card, license, and a few bills together and stick them in your suit. Do the same with a car key - if you are worried about corrosion get a cheap insta-key made. This what folks do in places like Bonaire - and no one cares about a wet bill - it spends the same.

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 17:36
I have never been on a dive trip, but do you really need to bring all that to the depths with you or could you lock it up on the boat? in other words why bring it with you?

diversteve
08-25-2007, 19:46
I have never been on a dive trip, but do you really need to bring all that to the depths with you or could you lock it up on the boat? in other words why bring it with you?There's no where really to "lock it up" on most day boats. And on some boats finding a dry spot is almost impossible.

I find it's just far easier to put my d/l, c-card, cc and some cash in my $6.00 case and secure it around my neck. And leave my wallet at home. Plus I dive in a swimsuit so I'm not comfortable with having the keys in my pocket, I prefer having them in a case with the lanyard secured around my neck.

On a place like Bonaire you do it because you're told not to leave anything in your vehicle and leave the windows down and doors unlocked. And you may spend all day diving at sites miles away from your accommodations.

So carrying it is the easiest option

Zenagirl
08-26-2007, 08:27
We also have a little Otter box that has worked like a charm for the past 4 years. A friend of ours bought a Pelican box and had to exchange twice because the hinge end kept coming apart. He finally went with an Otter box and hasn't had another problem.