PDA

View Full Version : Zeagle Website

crgjpg
02-19-2009, 06:33
I just noticed that Zeagle has changed their wedsite. I think it is looks better and easier to see everything.

Straegen
02-19-2009, 07:53
It is better. I think that an opening logo page is worthless. Wastes my time clicking on it and wastes their time designing it. I would remove that personally.

3rdEye
02-19-2009, 08:02
It is better. I think that an opening logo page is worthless. Wastes my time clicking on it and wastes their time designing it. I would remove that personally.

oof....yeah...that thing is a big usability no-no....looks like something circa 1997

ScottZeagle
02-19-2009, 10:28
I don't really understand your issues with the front page.

It is just a landing spot with a road map to everything else on the site.

If you want BCs, click it. If you want regulators, click Regs.

I'm not sure what could be changed to make it any easier....you have to start somewhere, right??

Enlighten me.

3rdEye
02-19-2009, 11:37
well, take it from a guy who's a web user experience expert...for the largest digital agency in the world...it needs a lot of help.

Just off the top of my head, I'd be thinking more along the lines of an experience like this for a product site ( i couldn't really find any diving related that I thought were very good...)

Epson Home Page - Epson Printers, Scanners, Projectors, Ink, Paper and More - Epson America, Inc (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/index.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes)

Honestly, the old home page was better....at least it had some featured products, and didn't open things in a new window.

But....if you want any further insight, I'd be glad to help how I can...I think you have great products, and this homepage doesn't do much to get that message across.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.

TommyB
02-19-2009, 11:41
I don't really understand your issues with the front page.

It is just a landing spot with a road map to everything else on the site.

If you want BCs, click it. If you want regulators, click Regs.

I'm not sure what could be changed to make it any easier....you have to start somewhere, right??

Enlighten me.
Should not be a 100% flash page if it's a landing page. Not every one has Flash Installed, or runs flash.
Larry would be the one to ask, but if this is the first page of your site, it should be a variant of html so that google can scope it up.
Should be more like
Zeagle Systems, BCs, Regulators, and Scuba Accessories (http://zeagle.com/index.php)

also,
Woo hoo! Party!
We can now design every web site on the internet in 100% Flash!
Not so fast.
While Google's announcement sounds exciting, there are still significant search engine optimization and more general internet marketing issues that they haven't addressed:
Link Value

Yes, Google will crawl all those links in your Flash animation. But will they accord them the same value as links in an HTML page? They're not saying.
I've long suspected that Google and Yahoo! award less or no value to links in Acrobat PDF files. That makes me think that Flash links won't carry much weight, either.
Yes, this is conjecture. But it's conjecture informed by years of betting chocolate on just these kinds of questions, so I have a strong incentive and track record.
Text Value

Again, will keywords and the like in Flash files get the same attention? Probably not. Here's why:
Semantic markup: You can't designate (as far as I know) level one and two headings in a Flash file. So there's no way to show search engines the structure of your Flash content.
Paragraph markup: There's also no tag that I know of in Flash. Another semantic markup issue.Again, this is conjecture. But I reviewed the SWF specification and don't see how you provide semantic markup. I'm all for playing it safe, and Flash content usually looks like gobbledygook when you try to read it with a spider.
Opacity

Not the web kind, the information kind.
Google is secretive enough with their regular crawler algorithms, but we can use text-only browsers like Lynx to see how our sites will behave for a spider.
No such luck with Flash. How do we test for SEO happiness?
Usability

Flash still has all the same usability bugaboos. If your home page takes 10-20 seconds to load and then dances around like a spastic jitterbug, you're going to lose customers no matter how easily they find you.

So my advice: Continue to exercise caution with Flash. Watch how the rankings shake out over the next few months. Then think about how you might work Flash into your internet marketing strategy.

Might want to read this
=====

Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Improved Flash indexing (http://googlewebmastercentral.********.com/2008/06/improved-flash-indexing.html)

ScottZeagle
02-19-2009, 12:03
Honestly, the old home page was better....at least it had some featured products, and didn't open things in a new window.

It isn't supposed to open in a new window....that should be taken care of soon!!

I appreciate all the input. We will probably leave it alone for a little while and see what happens, but all of the constructive critisism is appreaciated and noted!

Thanks,

Scott

Straegen
02-19-2009, 14:56
A single consistent user interface is considered a better design since it is easier to navigate and less confusing to the user. Your front splash screen is a very non-standard navigation system and the user has to pause for a bit to figure it out. Once you get past that screen, you have a pretty nice menu system that is similar to other websites and easy to navigate.

I am not saying it doesn't work, just that it is "better" if you eliminated the opening sequence and dropped me right on your real main page which is the Whats New with a standardized menu.

Otherwise I think it is a nice website. Adding a comparison grid to each product category would be nice. When reg shopping I had to dig through several screens to figure it all out.

Lastly, you are miles ahead of many online dive related websites. I am constantly amazed at how backward and plain bad many dive sites are.

Largo
02-19-2009, 16:08
Why not sell all Zeagle products online, and pass the savings on to the customer?

oddbod
02-20-2009, 05:44
From purely a techno-idiot perspective, what do you sell? I love the artwork, is it moonlight through clouds?:smiley2:.
P.S. I love your stuff keep up the good work:smiley31:

nrembis
02-28-2009, 12:02
I think the website needs more instruction on proper measurement for fit, instead of just listing measurements, use a drawing showing measure this way for sleeve, this way for torso, etc....

Im wanting to order a new drysuit, but my sleeve measurements are 6 inches off from what your size chart shows for a medium, so put an outline of a body up there with detailed instructions on how to get your measurements.

mrm777
02-28-2009, 13:50
"... you are miles ahead of many online dive related websites"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Agreed........I'm likin' it. I'm not a tech-head, but it's clean, easy to
navigate, and attractive. I like the contemporary look and color palette too.

Mtrewyn
02-28-2009, 16:42
Other than opening in another window I think it is ok, I did not like the old one, I think with time it will morph to better and better, as they add more to it.

Straegen
02-28-2009, 17:18
What separates a good website from a crappy one is a solid interface and useful pages. Too many websites have hard to navigate pages and when you finally get to a product page they list a few bullet items rather than a solid list of relevant specs, instructions and such.

nrembis
03-18-2009, 00:05
I cannot use the zeagle website at work because of the new main page, flash is not installed on our pc's here at work and we cannot install it. There is no skip link on entry page so I can't enter the products page :(

reactive
03-18-2009, 03:31
I cannot use the zeagle website at work because of the new main page, flash is not installed on our pc's here at work and we cannot install it. There is no skip link on entry page so I can't enter the products page :(

Try this link: Zeagle Systems, BCs, Regulators, and Scuba Accessories (http://www.zeagle.com/index.php)

clararhb
03-18-2009, 20:21
I like the site once you are in but the opening page I don't like. The black back ground is not inviting. Other than that what I saw I liked a lot. The arrows off the side on the main page leave a bit to be desired.

ScottZeagle
03-19-2009, 12:10

Fixed! Skip link added...as well as few other small changes.

Thanks to all for the input. We are working hard to make sure the site is something that can be used by everyone to gather all the info needed. It is almost a full time job, being done by a few people as time permits, but we will get there eventually!

Thanks for the kind words and your patience!

Scott

nrembis
03-19-2009, 12:26

Fixed! Skip link added...as well as few other small changes.

Thanks to all for the input. We are working hard to make sure the site is something that can be used by everyone to gather all the info needed. It is almost a full time job, being done by a few people as time permits, but we will get there eventually!

Thanks for the kind words and your patience!

Scott

Thanks, gives me something to do at work while the machines are running :) some of the parts that run on my mills are in cycle for a week at a time, so have lots of spare time, plus you can only clean so much before a broom gets old! LOL

nrembis
03-19-2009, 19:19
Now I can go back to a productive night at work :)

http://www.scubabidz.com/img020.jpg

LOL

clararhb
03-19-2009, 22:16
LOL...good pic.

ScottZeagle
03-20-2009, 08:59
LOL...good pic.

Indeed!

That's great!

:)