PDA

View Full Version : How do you stow your backup mask?

superkingkong
08-21-2007, 15:39
Hi guys,

If you do bring down one, how do u stow it?

just dangling on a d-ring? tie it somewhere? or do u wear a pocket (if you are using BP/W) and put it inside?

cheers :)

ertechsg
08-21-2007, 15:52
I do have a second masks in my gear bag. But hardly ever take it out. and have never needed 2 masks on a dive. Who knows I might need a strap when the ST strap breaks.

ScaredSilly
08-21-2007, 15:55
Pocket on drysuit ...

TAH 73
08-21-2007, 16:36
BC Pocket, has one that seems to be perfectly mask sized. Was on a dive my mask got kicked off, I just reached into the pocket, got the spare mask, put it on, cleared, then retrieved the mask.

divingbuddy
08-21-2007, 16:37
I keep my spare in my left drysuit pocket. I am careful to make sure I de-fog it before each dive.

I actually did need it once - I was following my buddy through a shipwreck when he suddenly turned. His foot hit the side of my mask causing the lens to fall out. I removed my spare mask, put it on, cleared it, and put the pieces of my broken mask back into the pocket. Then I continued with the dive. The spare mask takes up such little space and can make a big difference.

Just my two cents...Cheers!

Xspect
08-21-2007, 17:30
I keep my in my BC pocket

Splitlip
08-21-2007, 20:08
Thigh pocket on my wetsuit

subsur
08-21-2007, 20:10
mask pocket. you can attach it to d-ring or better to a 2" webbing if you dive with bp/w set up

Mmm Scuba
08-22-2007, 03:49
I have a Seaquest Balance BC that has a pull down pocket that's the right size.

wxboy911
08-22-2007, 06:51
mask pocket on my BC-I don't wear it all the time and have never needed it so far. I do keep it in the bag at least...just in case.

Coaster
08-22-2007, 11:09
mask pocket. you can attach it to d-ring or better to a 2" webbing if you dive with bp/w set up

The mask pocket is working for me....attached to d-ring...BC pocket is more difficult to access quickly.

superkingkong
08-22-2007, 15:25
which mask pocket are you guys using?

Wolfie2012
08-22-2007, 21:50
For my drysuit, I put it in my right thigh pocket. In warmer locations I have a dive-rite thigh pocket and put it in there...

quasimoto
09-18-2007, 12:03
Right thigh or Dive Rite mask pocket...even when I don't dive my plate.

nathan
09-18-2007, 12:28
Right thigh or Dive Rite mask pocket...even when I don't dive my plate.

I think they are refering to this:

http://www.diverite.com/catalog/backplates/pockets/bc2065

-Nathan

coralcrazed
09-18-2007, 13:00
I don't carry a second mask down... should I be? I'm a recreational diver so I never though about the need for a second Idid however think that there should bea teather of your primary mask. yes... no? anyway I have also heard of a trick called the bubble mask... has anyone heard of it? it wont allow you to continue your dive but it will alow you to see your guages and safely ascend and do your safty stop.

nathan
09-18-2007, 15:19
I don't carry a second mask down... should I be? I'm a recreational diver so I never though about the need for a second Idid however think that there should bea teather of your primary mask. yes... no? anyway I have also heard of a trick called the bubble mask... has anyone heard of it? it wont allow you to continue your dive but it will alow you to see your guages and safely ascend and do your safty stop.

A second mask i think is mostly for Tech/DIR, however its probably a good practice to get into if you have the room for one.

I dive mostly open water/recreational so even if there was a mask failure, as long as someone didn't panic it should be fairly safe. Simply get your buddys attention (stop, wave your arms like on the surface, or possibly get your dive knife out carefully and tap your tank with it till they notice you have a problem). You should beable to see well enough without a mask to atleast see your buddy and if they are near you or not and such.

Once you get your buddy, i'd do the 'ol buddy breathing/alt airsource type position and have your buddy take you up (doing a safetly stop and everything of course).

The worst thing you could do is panic and ditch your weights or whatever.

Since your ascending with your buddy he should beable to watch the gauges and make sure you are ascending at the right speed and spend enough time at 15 ft and such.

Either way i'm not making the case that its a bad thing to carry a backup mask, i'm simply saying it may not really be a required piece of gear if your just doing open water diving.

I would however very highly recommend you have extra straps and such (for stuff that can easily break) up on the boat.

CompuDude
09-18-2007, 15:29
I carry mine in my drysuit's left pocket, or the left pocket of my X-Shorts when diving wet. It's clipped off via a double-ender to a bungee ring.

I've never needed it at depth, but I've lost a mask in the surf before, and having my backup on my person saved me from either going home, or at least a long hike back up to the car to fetch the backup.

crpntr133
09-18-2007, 23:36
I've never needed mine but on my last dive trip someone needed theirs. The buckle on their mask broke. The caught the other mask and used their back up to continue the dive.
BTW, that is the DR pocket that I was referring to.

Aussie
09-19-2007, 02:57
I have a large zeagle pocket I put a few things in. Its attached to my BPW on my left waist webbing.
Another option is to have pockets for your drysuit or wetsuit. I think more wetsuits should be made with pockets at the factory.

Aussie

Ajuva
09-19-2007, 04:17
I wear contacts so have always carried a backup mask.

I carry it in my BC pocket and practice swapping out.

Haven't used it in anger but being an old boyscout it pays to "Be Prepared".

cheebaweebie
09-19-2007, 09:04
Never needed sapre when under water but ALWAYS keep a back up in my gear bag on the boat. If I did decide to take one underwater, I would put in my BC Pocket.

crpntr133
09-19-2007, 22:51
I have a large zeagle pocket I put a few things in. Its attached to my BPW on my left waist webbing.
Another option is to have pockets for your drysuit or wetsuit. I think more wetsuits should be made with pockets at the factory.

Aussie

X- shorts work great for this.

ccarter
09-20-2007, 11:14
I usually keep mine in the BC pocket on my Zeagle Escape.. I use Oceanic Shadow Minis so they fold down in there pretty easily. I have an add on bag that attaches to the BC and velcros around my leg for other stuff like safety sausage and slate..

peteg
09-20-2007, 11:39

Who sells X-Shorts? I haven't been able to find a website or any dealers on the ol' cyberweb

ccarter
09-20-2007, 11:46

Who sells X-Shorts? I haven't been able to find a website or any dealers on the ol' cyberweb
I found some on ebay after reading this thread.. got me to thinkin about looking into them since the velcro leg pocket I have now is annoying as crap. I might just add some more pockets to my BC though.. zeagle has a lot of accessories.

CompuDude
09-20-2007, 12:52

I found some on ebay after reading this thread.. got me to thinkin about looking into them since the velcro leg pocket I have now is annoying as crap. I might just add some more pockets to my BC though.. zeagle has a lot of accessories.

The company that originally made X-Shorts, Dive-Xtras, now sells them only through eBay. (the new improved models, that is)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scuba-diving-X-Shorts-w-cargo-pockets-for-acc-Medium_W0QQitemZ170137663585QQihZ007QQcategoryZ130 0QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

ianr33
09-20-2007, 14:26
I carry mine in my drysuit's left pocket, or the left pocket of my X-Shorts when diving wet. It's clipped off via a double-ender to a bungee ring.

I do exactly the same.

Only bother carrying it on cave dives or when solo.

Charles R
09-20-2007, 14:34
Left pocket of drysuit or wetsuit always same place and have used it several times

superkingkong
09-20-2007, 15:06

The company that originally made X-Shorts, Dive-Xtras, now sells them only through eBay. (the new improved models, that is)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scuba-diving-X-Shorts-w-cargo-pockets-for-acc-Medium_W0QQitemZ170137663585QQihZ007QQcategoryZ130 0QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

thanks for the URL :)

scubasavvy
09-20-2007, 17:40
BC pocket all the way. I'm not coming up for anything if I don't have to...

crpntr133
09-20-2007, 19:11
I've been thinking about making my own X -shorts. I think they would work better than any of the others. Simply glue on two pockets onto a pair of jammer swim trunks (those used by most swimmers now). The X-shorts are 1mm thick so they are going to float were as the home made ones won't. If they do it will be minimal. The pockets could also be stitched on if you wanted and had a good machine. Also for $79 plus I'm sure that I can make them less expensive.