PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen in Tires

BSea
08-21-2007, 16:54
Any nitrox certified divers fall for this?

Recently after having my oil changed, the mechanic asked if I wanted my tires filled with nitrogen. I looked at him & said I already use almost 80% nitrogen when I fill my tires now, so I didn't think I'd spend the extra $15 for the extra 20% nitrogen.

He just smiled.

Note: For Non Nitrox certified divers, air is about 79% nitrogen.

NitroWill
08-21-2007, 17:11
It actually does have reasoning behind it. It's actually called Purigen98 and has been around for awhile. NASCAR, airlines, and other big industries use it in their tires. It has several apparent benefits: its an inert gas, it has less chance of forming corrosion, as well as losing pressure at a lesser rate. Usually you pay one time fee and the dealer will give you a special color aircap and will fill it up whenever you bring it in for anything..Does it have benefits? Probably.. Do I have it in my car? No

Jaymeany
08-21-2007, 17:15
i have it and love it! my tires stay better inflated (lots of temperature changes up here so you lose a fair amount of air pressure. I got the fill real cheap with a coupon and its for life. good gas mileage and better ride. pretty cool if you ask me. :smiley2:

BSea
08-21-2007, 17:19
i have it and love it! my tires stay better inflated (lots of temperature changes up here so you lose a fair amount of air pressure. I got the fill real cheap with a coupon and its for life. good gas mileage and better ride. pretty cool if you ask me. :smiley2:
Maybe there is more to it than meets the eye. I don't know if what I was quoted was good for life (it was from a Toyota Dealer). I'll ask when I get my next oil change.

mike_s
08-21-2007, 17:27
There have been several studies that running almost all nitrogen in your tires will extend the life of them. The reasoning is that without the extra O2, the tire 'gas' doesn't get as hot and operates cooler causign less wear.

My tire shop does it for free if you buy your tires from them. I think they have less wear since I've been doing it. Note... the only reason I've got it is because they do it free for customers that buy their tires there.

Also as a note, besides using it in tires, some industries, including even NASCAR are using it to power pneumatic tools that get hot quickly with use. They are finding that they have less downtime due to overheating by running pure nitrogen through them.

Jaymeany
08-21-2007, 17:31
Hell I even put it in my coffee! J/K I got it from DUNN Tire in NY. They top it off when ever I need it. I just stop on my way somewhere and say fill it up jack.

Jethroish
08-21-2007, 17:48
I have an air compressor, tire gauge, and rotate my tires regularly.
I don't mind checking the tires. Heck, I do my own oil changes and maint. so I won't spend the $$. Not to say that it is not a good thing., just my 2 bits.

Jaymeany
08-21-2007, 17:53
I do my own oil so i figured for a few bucks if i got a fuel return or prolonged life of my tires i'd save money. Maybe enough to get a suunto compass? who knows!:smiley20:

Xspect
08-21-2007, 18:15
I use gas on the tire of my BMW if I dont that damn car low pressure indicator would keep popping up

creggur
08-21-2007, 19:38
We use it at the dealership where I work. There's no upcharge, just what we put in everyones tires. I fille mine 6 months ago and have to admit when I just had my car in for service the tire pressures were spot-on.. I would think it would prolong tire life with proper rotation intervals simply because the two biggest causes of premature tire wear are low pressure, and lack of rotation.

Actually I should say those are two and three, the quickest way to kill a set of tires is aggressive driving...

Jaymeany
08-21-2007, 19:40
2 out of 3 ain't bad right?

creggur
08-21-2007, 19:41
That's my philosophy!!:smiley20:

dmdoss
08-21-2007, 19:55
Wouldn't Argon work better?

Jaymeany
08-21-2007, 20:10
i believe it would but I think the cost is high and I don't know of the explosive properties if there are any.

Jaymeany
08-21-2007, 20:17
Argon looks good to me:
http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/AR/argon.html

Maybe it is just cost?

94GTStang
08-21-2007, 21:47
Either way, that tire is going to lose air molecules through the rubber itself no matter what. I say, don't be lazy and just keep an eye on your tire pressure and be a responsible driver. :)

Jaymeany
08-21-2007, 21:52
The larger heavier molecules dissipate slower through the rubber which makes them a good choice for tire inflation. The heat resistance (higher specific heat) makes the tire preform better at speeds and with prolonged use. The heat produced from friction cannot be reduced by maintaining air pressure and can only be affected by the properties of the gas in the fill. I love Chemistry! Sorry geeked out for a second.

cgvmer
08-21-2007, 22:28
I get tires at Costco, they use it and refill for free.

94GTStang
08-21-2007, 23:20
The larger heavier molecules dissipate slower through the rubber which makes them a good choice for tire inflation. The heat resistance (higher specific heat) makes the tire preform better at speeds and with prolonged use. The heat produced from friction cannot be reduced by maintaining air pressure and can only be affected by the properties of the gas in the fill. I love Chemistry! Sorry geeked out for a second.

I understand that completely, but I'm still a fan of regular air. I never had a problem with it back when I autocrossed and that eats up tires like none other.

I feel that it is another way for stealerships to get into peoples already worn out pockets.

namabiru
08-21-2007, 23:57
I get tires at Costco, they use it and refill for free.

Hey, thanks for the tip!

So what happens when regular air is added to a nitrogen-filled tire? Not a huge amount, but perhaps 2 or 3 PSI? I don't imagine that's terribly detrimental. On the other hand, putting 10 or 15 PSI in a 40 PSI tire if it's needed is probably a bit silly, isn't it?

I'm guessing your tire won't literally explode in your face. All that you're doing, though, is just increasing the O2 percentage in your tire and decreasing N2. So you won't get exactly the stellar benefits that N2 claims to bring. Am I correct?

CompuDude
08-22-2007, 01:23
i believe it would but I think the cost is high and I don't know of the explosive properties if there are any.
Considering argon is used in fire-suppression systems, I'd have to say no.

It's a cost issue.

cmburch
02-26-2008, 17:43
The Costco near my house uses it. They have a write-up here:

Costco Connection - October 2004 (http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/200410/?pg=17)

I think normal air from a gas station is roughly 22%oxygen/78%nitrogen. I guess that adding a little air to the nitrogen filled tire may not be significant enough to decrease the benefits of nitrogen since air is about 78% nitrogen already. Costco will rotate and check pressure if purchased there.

An argon plasma torch operates at about the temperature of the sun's surface.

Liquid argon is about 70 cents a cubic foot. I do not know what this would expand to for argon gas.

cummings66
02-26-2008, 20:54
Considering I use Argon when I use the GTAW process (TIG) I'd also agree argon will not combust. Very expensive though.

No Misses
02-27-2008, 08:52
I do the opposite. When my tires are low, I just shoot a couple of puffs from my dive cylinder into them. It could be anywhere from 60%-79% Nitrogen :-0

Rockhound76
02-27-2008, 10:43
I run nitrogen in my STI and the tires hold pressure forever and run noticeabley cooler.

My '89 Toyota 4x4 has regular air in the tires and i have to top them off every few weeks. I have an air compressor, so no big deal, but I do see a difference in temps and the need to more regularly monitor the truck's tire pressures.

FOUNDATIONER
02-27-2008, 13:52
From original post:

Note: For Non Nitrox certified divers, air is about 79% nitrogen.

What the heck is that supposed to mean?
Some of us like air. And we already know
how much nitrogen is in it, even without
nitrox certification.............Jeeeeeeeez:smiley2:
(keep in mind, I say all this with a grin on)

MicahEW
02-28-2008, 09:48
There have been several studies that running almost all nitrogen in your tires will extend the life of them. The reasoning is that without the extra O2, the tire 'gas' doesn't get as hot and operates cooler causign less wear.

My tire shop does it for free if you buy your tires from them. I think they have less wear since I've been doing it. Note... the only reason I've got it is because they do it free for customers that buy their tires there.

Also as a note, besides using it in tires, some industries, including even NASCAR are using it to power pneumatic tools that get hot quickly with use. They are finding that they have less downtime due to overheating by running pure nitrogen through them.

It actually does have reasoning behind it. It's actually called Purigen98 and has been around for awhile. NASCAR, airlines, and other big industries use it in their tires. It has several apparent benefits: its an inert gas, it has less chance of forming corrosion, as well as losing pressure at a lesser rate. Usually you pay one time fee and the dealer will give you a special color aircap and will fill it up whenever you bring it in for anything..Does it have benefits? Probably.. Do I have it in my car? No

At the dealership where I work the Nitro rep says the the nitrogen helps with the aging of tires and prevents/prolongs cracking.

Doug B
02-28-2008, 20:39
At the dealership where I work the Nitro rep says the the nitrogen helps with the aging of tires and prevents/prolongs cracking.

I think pure nitrogen in a passenger car it's a bunch of whoo-ha and hype. NASCAR and aircraft - I can see a possible benefit. 200mph on the track, and extreme temperature differences in a plane.

But a passenger car.... paleeez!

HTF can a nitrogen representative claim the 20% difference in nitrogen content inside your tire prevents aging (with any significant and/or measureable amount) of the tire when the entire outside of the tire is bathed in regular air. What data does he have to back the claim.

I'd like to see a car with three tires filled with air, and one tires filled with nitrogen driven around for six months or a year... and then have the nitrogen representative guy try to figure out which tire had the nitrogen fill. My bet is he'd be wrong 3 out of 4 times.

Some say Nitrogen prevents corrosion inside the wheel...when is the last time you heard of a wheel failing or needing to be replaced due to corrosion on the inside.... or the outside for that matter.

Nope.... I don't think the benefits of nitrogen are real....I think it's all a bunch of hype.

MicahEW
02-29-2008, 14:52

I think pure nitrogen in a passenger car it's a bunch of whoo-ha and hype. NASCAR and aircraft - I can see a possible benefit. 200mph on the track, and extreme temperature differences in a plane.

But a passenger car.... paleeez!

HTF can a nitrogen representative claim the 20% difference in nitrogen content inside your tire prevents aging (with any significant and/or measureable amount) of the tire when the entire outside of the tire is bathed in regular air. What data does he have to back the claim.

I'd like to see a car with three tires filled with air, and one tires filled with nitrogen driven around for six months or a year... and then have the nitrogen representative guy try to figure out which tire had the nitrogen fill. My bet is he'd be wrong 3 out of 4 times.

Some say Nitrogen prevents corrosion inside the wheel...when is the last time you heard of a wheel failing or needing to be replaced due to corrosion on the inside.... or the outside for that matter.

Nope.... I don't think the benefits of nitrogen are real....I think it's all a bunch of hype.

I totally agree....