PDA

View Full Version : Gizmodo and the Phantom Air

Straegen
02-23-2009, 23:34
A rare Gizmodo scuba crossover:

Concept: Phantom Air Supply, For Superheroes Who Only Save Themselves (http://i.gizmodo.com/5159136/phantom-air-supply-for-superheroes-who-only-save-themselves)

'Phantom' Compressed Backup Air System by Ricardo Baiao Yanko Design (http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/02/23/emergency-air-or-pretend-youre-a-dolphin/)

Slick design but wonder if the concept could really work.

CPTOZZY
03-24-2009, 22:32
A rare Gizmodo scuba crossover:

Concept: Phantom Air Supply, For Superheroes Who Only Save Themselves (http://i.gizmodo.com/5159136/phantom-air-supply-for-superheroes-who-only-save-themselves)

'Phantom' Compressed Backup Air System by Ricardo Baiao Yanko Design (http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/02/23/emergency-air-or-pretend-youre-a-dolphin/)

Slick design but wonder if the concept could really work.

Looks cool, especially on the wetsuit with the Black and Yellow. Of course when wearing your BC / Harness it will be trapped by the straps and painful.
"5 minutes of air" at what depth?

The retractable hose looks cool, but it looks like it only gives a couple of inches of hose.........(Insert Joke here)

setesh
03-25-2009, 00:34
Looks like placement would me a major PITA even if the compressed volume was decent. It's a lot easier to mount something the size of a can of hair spray vs a stack of frizbees.

UCFKnightDiver
03-25-2009, 07:33
Im going to say a big NO GO looks like its essentially a spare air to me, if you practice proper gas management you should not run out of air, and if you do, your buddy should be there to help. And if your solo diving you should have other means to get you to the surface i.e. a pony bottle/stage bottle

in_cavediver
03-25-2009, 18:44
Im going to say a big NO GO looks like its essentially a spare air to me, if you practice proper gas management you should not run out of air, and if you do, your buddy should be there to help. And if your solo diving you should have other means to get you to the surface i.e. a pony bottle/stage bottle

Party pooper!

Next you are gonna say something about how 5 minutes is a meaningless measure as well!

Me - I like my spare tanks to be horse sized. Anyone got a few LP 131's laying around or was that another thread......

UCFKnightDiver
03-25-2009, 18:50
hmm well if you say so :D 5 min is a meaningless measurement especially when it doesnt state at what depth, and sac rate it lasts for 5 minutes, 5 minutes on the surface would be almost no time at all down at33 ft 1/2 of the original amount of time, 66 1/3 of the original, or 99 feet 1/4th of the original gas supply

clararhb
03-26-2009, 16:54
My question is...how on earth would you refill it? One time use is worthless.

MSilvia
03-26-2009, 17:05
This looks like a great idea... if you're a surfer or kayaker. 5 mins of air at the surface isn't worth much at depth... especially with a piece of gear whose placement is almost guaranteed to interfere with other dive gear.

russp
03-26-2009, 17:07
Reminds me of the thing James Bond used (I think in Thunderball). It was a regulator mouthpiece with two cylinders no bigger than the tiny CO2 cartridges used in whipped cream dispensers and bike tire inflators yet he swam on it for at least five minutes.

clararhb
03-30-2009, 15:59
Reminds me of the thing James Bond used (I think in Thunderball). It was a regulator mouthpiece with two cylinders no bigger than the tiny CO2 cartridges used in whipped cream dispensers and bike tire inflators yet he swam on it for at least five minutes.
But you forget that Bond can do just about anything.

scubasamurai
03-30-2009, 21:04
thought this was a joke, are you kidding 5 minutes of air, what five minutes at the surface or five mintues "oh s+_t wheres the surface??? might be good for snorklers

clararhb
03-31-2009, 19:56
thought this was a joke, are you kidding 5 minutes of air, what five minutes at the surface or five mintues "oh s+_t wheres the surface??? might be good for snorklers

5 at the surface. No way they are fitting enough air into that small of a space for even a minute @ 40'.
Nice for the rafters or boarders but not diving.

UCFKnightDiver
04-03-2009, 17:20
umm.... if it has 5min at the surface assuming you have the sac rate that it is using to calculate that 5 minutes with, you would have a little more than 2 minutes at 40 ft

clararhb
04-05-2009, 11:09
I was thinking of a panicked diver. Good point about the sac rate though.