PDA

View Full Version : To color or not or at least say we don't

dallasdivergirl
08-21-2007, 19:47
I started going gray at 18 (I don't remember my parents not being gray). I play with colors (reds,purple, and blue) but then I really "needed" to color.

I stick pretty close to my natural color, any lighter & it looks like dry grass.

So, do you color or are you not telling?

Illini_Fan
08-21-2007, 19:52
I'll might get in trouble from Queen for posting in the Women's Forum but I'm REALLY looking forward to Rick's (Vercingetorix) response to this. :icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen:

Vercingetorix
08-21-2007, 20:01
If you ignore the receding hairline, what remains is Silver. Unfortunately, Sparky didn't provide natural pigmentation evolution as an option; so, I chose Natural. Like Sparky, my Mom went gray in her teens, but she's kept a full head of hair.

Now, my wife is a natural red-head. She's [censored] years old and not a speck of gray. One time, we were at the stylist (that's right, I go to the same stylist as my wife), another patron asked the sylist what brand of hair coloring my wife used, because she, too, wanted that color. His response: honey, that color doesn't come out of a bottle. FYI...red-heads DO HAVE a temper.

Please note, my hair is Silver. Silver is distinquished; gray is old

Illini_Fan
08-21-2007, 20:15
... (that's right, I go to the same stylist as my wife),

I'm glad I withdrew my support of Rick gettin his man-card returned.

Vercingetorix
08-21-2007, 20:30
I'm glad I withdrew my support of Rick gettin his man-card returned.Coward:smilie39:

ixrayu
08-21-2007, 21:39
Herbal Essences.. "Blonded by the Light" Almost a Marilyn Monroe blonde. However, during classes in the pool it was more Incredible Hulk green.

dallasdivergirl
08-21-2007, 21:43
I'm glad I withdrew my support of Rick gettin his man-card returned.Coward:smilie39:

Coward & Metro Man

isn't there a manly tread for you guys (and I am using the word "guys" loosely) to go hijack... like accessories?

3rdEye
08-21-2007, 21:49
gray hair...no way.....i'm a big fan of just shaving the head :smiley20:

ok, i'm leaving now

(not sure how i wandered in here to begin with....)

tonka97
08-21-2007, 21:50
I know a lady who is 102.

She is nearly totally self sufficient, except for driving/shopping.

She does not have 1 gray hair, and has never used coloring.

Amazing!

Vercingetorix
08-21-2007, 22:16
Coward & Metro Man

isn't there a manly tread for you guys (and I am using the word "guys" loosely) to go hijack... like accessories?Sparky,

I gives ya love and support, and this is the thanks I get.

I'm leavin'...:smiley5:

P.S. Besides, Larry finally gave us a place where men can be men. My strategy worked.

Illini_Fan
08-21-2007, 22:23

Coward & Metro Man

isn't there a manly tread for you guys (and I am using the word "guys" loosely) to go hijack... like accessories?

Pretty RUDE :smilie39:

Liv7301
08-21-2007, 23:33
I have been resisted when I will have to start coloring my hair. I have a fairly significant crop of gray but it's all in the back of my head so most people really never notice it. However it is persistantly working its way forward so its just a matter of time.

And once again Rick, I totally support you in seeing a salon stylist. Men should have equal access to quality haircuts and grooming!!

Vercingetorix
08-22-2007, 06:52

Coward & Metro Man

Pretty RUDE :smilie39:
Danged rude!!! But, I'm man enough to let it slide, because that's what men do.:smiley16:

Vercingetorix
08-22-2007, 06:54
And once again Rick, I totally support you in seeing a salon stylist. Men should have equal access to quality haircuts and grooming!!Here, again, a lady that appreciates who men are and can be. Ya know, if you wasn't already hitched, I'd come a-courtin'.

YellowfinKunkfish
08-22-2007, 09:20
If you consider getting highlights coloring, then I color. I have mousy brown hair, without the blonde highlights, it's just boring. Oddly enough, over the summer when I was spending a LOT of time in the pool, it was the brown my stylist has to put back in, (to make the highlights stand out)that turned wierd colors, not the blonde.

Queen
08-22-2007, 09:26
I have gray "highlights" that look blond in the right light. :D

Harshal
08-22-2007, 09:31
Jet Black...... umm maybe one or two gray hair somewhere.
Rick you are funny.....

dallasdivergirl
08-22-2007, 09:38

I wish!

I have stick straight dark brown hair. The gray that is coming is is curly. I don't know what to do with curly hair. And the gray, it's just gray.

Queen
08-22-2007, 10:20

I wish!

I have stick straight dark brown hair. The gray that is coming is is curly. I don't know what to do with curly hair. And the gray, it's just gray.

My gray is coming in all wiry, it won't stay where I put it and gives me lots of 'tude...I think I'm gonna like it when I get more of it. I'll look like a female Albert Einstein :D

Harshal
08-22-2007, 11:07

I wish!

That's reason they made the hair spray........lol :smilie39:

dallasdivergirl
08-22-2007, 11:44

I wish!

Harshal,

That would be some serious helmet hair that would be water-proof. I would look like a sea beast coming out of the water. Plus I have a very low maint. hair regime. Wash, condition, air dry, brush. Hair spray depletes the ozone layer.

Disneymom
08-22-2007, 11:50
DDG, I fall in the area between natural/this is the color I chose - I get lazy between colorings. I have yuck brown with natural grey stripes in it. And it's not really cool stripes, they just make me look old. I've taken to using a leave-in anti frizz for the grey that's doesn't like to behave.

Harshal
08-22-2007, 11:55

I wish!

Harshal,

That would be some serious helmet hair that would be water-proof. I would look like a sea beast coming out of the water. Plus I have a very low maint. hair regime. Wash, condition, air dry, brush. Hair spray depletes the ozone layer.

LOL..... I should had used some fancy / complicated name like anti frizz or something rather then just spray.......lol but can't help am a guy .....still have man's card here ...........lol :smilie39:

Foo2
08-22-2007, 12:37
I started going grey at 20 so I choose to color my hair too. :( I tease my Fooman2 and tell him it's his fault...then he shows me a picture of Fooman....my dad is very grey, although if you ask him he says that it's "frosted". The color I have now is almost the same color as my natural color. It's just a little darker. Woe to us....

ScubaJenn81
08-22-2007, 14:23
I started going grey early 20's as well. Now when I color my hair my natural dark brown, people think it looks fake, so when I do color, it is more of a medium brown, but then I can get some nasty roots.

thesmoothdome
08-22-2007, 18:16
Color my hair? Uh...yeah..sure.

Cheddarchick
08-23-2007, 18:33
For all who care, if a garage needed paint, you'd paint it right?

Texas Girl
08-24-2007, 09:40
For all who care, if a garage needed paint, you'd paint it right?

Every six weeks? I don't think so. My gray, which is coming in more rapidly, is pretty well spread out. I don't have time to go in frequently to have the roots touched up.

Charlotte Smith
08-24-2007, 10:33
I have been going grey since 93.....I had a very stressful year and doctors say that was the reason(my 18 mo old son was killed when a lady hit us head on...and then my husband was killed in a trucking accident)(3 months apart) so I say color and bleach is a wonderful thing!

Stuspot
08-24-2007, 12:23
I also started getting the silver hairs during high school and I colored my hair for years. But recently I got tired of the expense/mess that goes with either getting it colored or coloring it myself and I'm attempting to "embrace my grey" and I'm letting it grow out to whatever color it happens to be now.

I'm ok with it so far, as it has an interesting pattern that reminds me of my wild and crazy hair coloring college days. I think that perhaps my hair coloring days are over. I'm 42, btw, so see what you think.

Charlotte Smith
08-25-2007, 23:20
looks good to me....you go girl!

Cheddarchick
08-26-2007, 07:26
At this point ...coloring for 12 years...., I don't remember the original color....And love the ability to change with the season

dallasdivergirl
08-26-2007, 09:06
Completely different colors dor different seasons or variations of the same shade adding highlights & lowlights?

At this point ...coloring for 12 years...., I don't remember the original color....And love the ability to change with the season

ParrotheadDiver
08-26-2007, 12:45
all gray all the time....:smiley20:

Charlotte Smith
08-26-2007, 13:52
amen!

Queen
08-26-2007, 14:45
You know the quote "I'm in shape...round is a shape"? I've decided that gray is a color...so yes my hair is colored. :D

MelC
08-27-2007, 09:01
Never coloured and my tweezers and I are still valiantly fighting against doing so. We are starting to lose ground though...

Mel

Dee
08-27-2007, 14:44
I started highlighting in high school, it was the cool thing. Kept it up until the early 90's when my beautician talked me into a base color job to hide the gray then highlight on top of that. Since he was also my best friend a seldom charged me for even a hair cut I figured, Why not? Over the years I got curious to see just how much gray I really had so I reverted back to natural. Besides, my stylist moved on to another career and I almost choked at what the regular prices were to maintain this younger do.

I discovered my gray has followed my maternal hereditary thing like my Grandmother and I now have a solid silver strip from ear to ear! The back is still my natural dark 'Whatever that color is' (not brown, not black) with only a salt and peppering of gray. I really kinda like it, the strip is a pretty, shiny silver and I enjoy the wash and wear, no maintenance of it!

greyzen
08-27-2007, 14:50
My wife is starting to get a few greys (premature if you ask me... we're 29) but she says they are my fault :/

Mom said the same thing :( (that my wives grey is my fault I mean)

dallasdivergirl
08-27-2007, 14:57
My wife is starting to get a few greys (premature if you ask me... we're 29) but she says they are my fault :/

Mom said the same thing :( (that my wives grey is my fault I mean)

That's funny. Mine are from my parents!

savannahbell
08-27-2007, 18:41
Depends on what kind of mood I am in. Usually during the summer I do not color much cause of the sun and water. Just went last week and colored for the first time since Feb of this year. Did a med brown all over and we highlighted with red. Looks good, I call it sexy, sassy. lol

scuba Widow
09-01-2007, 13:01
I love to color my hair but finflippers hates it he would have it natural.

cshel
09-03-2007, 12:12
I started going gray at 16. Naturally dark brown - now it's medium brown with blond highlights

Scubacookie
09-03-2007, 12:33
I have never colored my hair, been a blonde all my life, gets even blonder in the summer, I think if it starts changing i will just let it. Seems like way to much work and money to keep up with the roots showing, my friends color and, I could buy alot of fun scuba toys for what they pay someone to color their hair.

scubajane
10-06-2007, 16:42
i have never colored my hair when my daughter was young she used to brush my hair. one day she asked if she could pull out the grey hairs. I gave my permission. she started pulling them out 1 at a time and after about 10 minutes she said, "Mabye I should stop. I think you are going to be bald." from the mouthes of babes

jimmysdevoted
10-06-2007, 19:02
I am 47( next week) and i ahve afew gray hairs, Mostly from damage from shingles.
I like to experiment with natural stuff. LIke henna, lemon,indigo flowers, walnut shells my husband has said will turn hair dark brown.

using products like henna also are great conditioners for protection against sun damage.

divnlifr
10-06-2007, 20:44
I found my first grey hair the other day...now maybe it wasn't the real and only first grey hair, but it's the first one I've documented. I turned 36 in February and I have to admit the birthday didn't hurt as much as the grey hair! It was kind of depressing. I think coloring is fine, but only if it looks natural and doesn't look like you just washed that grey right out of your hair!

Chocoholic
10-06-2007, 23:27
My Great Gramma had black hair until she was 80 plus and then it all fell out. I am so hoping that my hair will just turn gray.

caroln
10-08-2007, 10:32
I have colored my hair forever because I have naturally boring hair. It's sort of dirty blond but very blah. In the summer it gets really light, but then gets dark in the winter and looks like I have roots from coloring my hair--if I'm going to have them anyway, I figure might as well color for real. I've been everything from platinum blonde, to dark red, to 'tiger stripes', and many shades in between. My favorite is red with blond streaks, but it's a huge PITA to keep up, so I'm currently more or less my natural color with some highlights thrown in.

Charlotte Smith
10-08-2007, 10:52
I started turning gray early due to an extremely stressful time in my life and have colored ever since but I do it for me and not for what someone thinks of me because of it......I say to each his own and whatever makes you happy.......but that's just me..

Cheddarchick
10-08-2007, 17:57
Right on Charlotte.....I color for me!!!!!

chace_nicole
10-08-2007, 18:55

hee hee...I don't remember the original color either! Blondish in the summer, dark in the winter. I went a lil too dark for my taste this time. Took me a week to quit doing double takes when I passed a mirror...saying who is that woman? thats not me!