PDA

View Full Version : Compressor Question

skdvr
02-27-2009, 06:23
I ran across this on Craigslist and thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts about it?

Compressor (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/1045082366.html)

I do not know the first thing about compressors, but would not mind picking one up for what appears to be a decent deal...

Please share your thoughts...

Phil

scubadiver888
02-27-2009, 09:14
It was used for SCBA and not SCUBA so it might not be able to fill all the different types of SCUBA tanks. I remember reading threads from people about getting tank fills from the local fire department. You might want to scan the site for 'fire department tank fills' and see what they were talking about.

Other thing to consider is getting filters and parts for it. It could be that the thing will become unserviceable in a few years (months).

navyhmc
02-27-2009, 09:46
I'm not sure if there are courses on dive compressors and the like, but if you are indeed interested in your own compressor, I would get some information and training first.

Things that can go wrong include over filling the oil tank and blowing one or more of your pistons, not enough oil and siezing the compressor, not changing filters, not emptying the oil sump, air intake in the worng spot, not knowing all the maint. etc.

Not that getting your own compressor is a bad thing-I know a lot of divers dream of getting thier own. but go in with eyes open.

Also think about this: Where will you use this? At home? Most of these are triple phase and triple is not usually available in residential areas. Triple phase is a lot cheaper than normal household current too, but getting it can be a hassel. Normal current is double phase and running a compressor on double is a little costly.

From looking at the compressor, at the very least, you may want to add another filter to it too. More $$$$.

However, depending on how old it is, $1500 is a good deal.

mike_s
02-27-2009, 11:13
Please share your thoughts...

Phil

need to find out if it's 208/220v "single phase" or "3 phase" if you're going to use it at home....

If it's 3 phase power, then it's very unlikely that you can even get 3-phase power in a residential area. If you can, then you will have to upgrade your power panel at great expense.

Or you could use and single to three phase converter, but still not ideal and those cost money.

EDIT: in a commerial setting where you have 3-phase power, it's ideal to power a compressor off 3-phase as it's more efficient. However, 3 phase power fittings, breakers, etc cost easily 5 to 10 times more than single phase.

For example, to buy a single phase 220v pop in breaker is $5 to $10 bucks at Home depot. To buy a 3phase 30 amp, screw in breaker will run you up around $80-$95 bukcs (+/- a little).

If I was to buy a compressor for home use, even though single phase isn't as effiencent, I'd want to get that for the limited use I'd have and the fact that it would always be compatible with any 220v electrial panel in the future if I moved or sold it.

skdvr
02-27-2009, 15:21
Thanks for the info guys... My wife and I have been talking about moving, and a few of the places are a pretty good distance from a shop. We will just have to see. I do not know if it is something that I really want to mess with or not.

Thanks
Phil

in_cavediver
02-27-2009, 16:52
Don't let the power thing get too bad. Figure out the HP rating and see if you can simply replace a 3 phase motor with a single phase motor. Those can be had surplus for a few hundred dollars - depending on the size. You might also see that even relative small motor (5hp) take a LOT of current to run - 20+ Amps at 220V single Φ.

On filters - I'd definitely say to add a new scuba filter stack to it. It will have a moisture trap and well as a true filter. You can buy these for off the shelf filter cartriges or for self pack filter cartridges.

Last bit - figure out the brand and maintenance schedule. Make sure you know if the FD did the maintenance on it or if it has a major maintenance item coming up. It may be a good deal if its 30 hours from a scheduled rebuild.

mike_s
02-27-2009, 22:12
It might have a filter stack on it already..... see the right side of this pic.

http://images.craigslist.org/3n33o83p1ZZZZZZZZZ92l63ec3ad29a0f19ff.jpg

As for changing the motor, the used compressor is $1500. If a new motor costs $200 or $300 (to go to single phase), then they'll have $1700 to $1800 tied up in the "used" setup that could easily be 10 or 20 years old.

I'd do a cost comparison of what a similar setup would cost new. A new compressor, even though it might cost a little more, comes with a pedigree of being new (instead of worrying about mantenance logs, etc) and also comes with warranty.

just something to consider.

in_cavediver
02-28-2009, 06:01
It might have a filter stack on it already..... see the right side of this pic.

http://images.craigslist.org/3n33o83p1ZZZZZZZZZ92l63ec3ad29a0f19ff.jpg

As for changing the motor, the used compressor is $1500. If a new motor costs $200 or $300 (to go to single phase), then they'll have $1700 to $1800 tied up in the "used" setup that could easily be 10 or 20 years old.

I'd do a cost comparison of what a similar setup would cost new. A new compressor, even though it might cost a little more, comes with a pedigree of being new (instead of worrying about mantenance logs, etc) and also comes with warranty.

just something to consider.

Yes but 3-5 grand new just gets you a 3cfm or so model. If this is a fire service scba model, I would guess its at least 6cfm. Our stations is 20cfm. Those are worth quite a bit more. Of course, you really need to see the info on the brand and model of compressor to know what you have.

captain
02-28-2009, 15:45
Looks like an Ingersol Rand or Worthington and should be in the 6 tp 8 cfm range. Parts for the Ingersol Rand compressors should be no problem, I believe Worthington is out of bussiness so parts could be problematic.
I think the main issues are as was said the motor, single or three phase and the scuba fill yoke.
If it is an Ingersol Rand it would be a decent deal.

skdvr
03-01-2009, 06:57
Thanks again, guys. I sent the guy an email with a few questions....

Thanks
Phil

skdvr
03-02-2009, 04:18
I swapped emails with the owner a couple of times. I must say that I truely do not have the best feeling about it because he did not seem to know a thing about it. Here are the Questions and answers I got.

1. how old is it? old but in very good condition

2. What Brand is it? ingersol

3. What is the maint schedule? every year

4. I would use this for SCUBA does it only have a SCBA fill whip? not sure what this is

5. What size are the storage bottles? 2200 psi

6. What is the CFM rating of the compressor? 3000 psi

I then responded saying that I wanted to know how many cubic feet the storage bottles hold and how many cubic feet per min the compressor is capable of? And in the add it says that the storage bottles are 4200 psi. I also asked about the motor, if it is 3 phase or not.

7. Is the motor 3 phase? It is 220

8. What is the CFM rating of the compressor? 398

I did not hear back about the storage bottles though. He just does not seem to have an idea of what he has. Maybe he is just a newer volunteer FF that voulnterred to try and sell it for the department. I am going to ask him the model of it and maybe you guys can shed some light on it a bit for me...

Thanks again for all the help...

Phil

Fireplug
03-02-2009, 06:02
Be aware that they make SCBA to SCUBA adapters for the fill whip. Not sure where we got ours at but I think it says ISI on the knob. Simply threads onto the SCBA fill whip and has a drain knob so as to drain the whip quickly to remove when your tank is full.

See if you can scrounge up a piece of pipe to set your cylinder in to serve as a blast shield. You are dealing with air under pressure. I'm sure there are plenty of pics, video out there showing what happens when a cylinder fails. I get jerky when I see someone filling a cylinder out in the open. Dive shop I used to go to did this in their showroom! Decisions like that are maybe why they are out of business.

Also make sure to check the hydro dates on the storage cylinders. If they are way out of date, have been setting around empty for a long time....lots of potential for problems.

The 2200 psi throws up a caution flag as most dive cylinders are 3000 and up. This tells me that you are going to have to get your intial fill from storage then run the compressor to top off your dive tank. If I was looking I would try to find larger, more psi, storage tanks. Maybe I'm way off and the 2200 is the scuba standard size. Our FD tanks are 6000 psi but of course we need to be able to fill up lots of SCBA tanks after a working fire fairly quickly to remain in service.

I think I would have to be doing a lot of diving to justify spending that kind of money.

Good Luck!!!

mike_s
03-02-2009, 10:40
I swapped emails with the owner a couple of times. I must say that I truely do not have the best feeling about it because he did not seem to know a thing about it. Here are the Questions and answers I got.

4. I would use this for SCUBA does it only have a SCBA fill whip? not sure what this is

I then responded saying that I wanted to know how many cubic feet the storage bottles hold and how many cubic feet per min the compressor is capable of? And in the add it says that the storage bottles are 4200 psi. I also asked about the motor, if it is 3 phase or not.

I did not hear back about the storage bottles though. He just does not seem to have an idea of what he has. Maybe he is just a newer volunteer FF that voulnterred to try and sell it for the department. I am going to ask him the model of it and maybe you guys can shed some light on it a bit for me...

Phil

Well this guy is clueless.... almost funny.

a 398 CFM compressor... Fill your AL80 in just just 5 seconds! (of course it'll be hot enough to fry an egg on!)

in_cavediver
03-02-2009, 11:36

Phil

Sounds like the guy doesn't have a clue. Here's what to do. Ask for all of the info on the nameplates of the compressor and tanks. Ask for photo's or if possible - to see the unit in person.

As for issue of where the 2200 came from - it might be a regulator. Our dept runs with 2216psi SCBA's. Our cascades are 6000psi but we have lots of tags stating how/where to set the regulator at for the less informed on the dept.

mike_s
03-02-2009, 11:50
[
Sounds like the guy doesn't have a clue. Here's what to do. Ask for all of the info on the nameplates of the compressor and tanks. Ask for photo's or if possible - to see the unit in person.

since the guy is clueless, don't take anything he writes/emails. insist on pictures of the plates.

As for issue of where the 2200 came from - it might be a regulator. Our dept runs with 2216psi SCBA's. Our cascades are 6000psi but we have lots of tags stating how/where to set the regulator at for the less informed on the dept.

I was figuring the tank psi at 2200psi was the SCBA tanks also.

either that or it was a typo and he meant 4200psi as the add said "2 bottles that can be filled to 4200 psi"

skdvr
03-02-2009, 13:28
I have not heard anything from him today. Maybe he thinks I am screwing with him from all the questions, and then having to ask the questions again befcause he give me some wierd answer. I would go down to check it out, but it is about 1.5 hours from me, and I do not want to drive all that way and have it be a big turd... I will try to get some more info from him first and hopefully with some pics...

Thanks again for all the help

Phil

in_cavediver
03-02-2009, 16:58
I have not heard anything from him today. Maybe he thinks I am screwing with him from all the questions, and then having to ask the questions again befcause he give me some wierd answer. I would go down to check it out, but it is about 1.5 hours from me, and I do not want to drive all that way and have it be a big turd... I will try to get some more info from him first and hopefully with some pics...

Thanks again for all the help

Phil

I don't know, if you are serious about it and can take the info here as a good enough guide, you might just pick it up when you saw it. I'd be interested in it except I now have unlimited access to our depts' compressor/cascade. My need just dropped. All I have to do is being willing to run into a burning building. Diving is worth that :smiley20:.

(OK, so I exagerate a bit - I volunteer because its the right thing to do and I am good at it. My talents go to a good use to help others. The air thing is a fringe benefit that took a year or so to get)

skdvr
03-02-2009, 18:30
I just sent him one more email and asked if he could please take a couple of pics for me, so I can try to figure out exactly what it is... I will let you all know if I hear back from him....

Thanks
Phil