PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Annual DDCN dive - Thanks ST and everyone who made it out!

plot
02-28-2009, 19:01
I want to thank gNats and DarkWolf for putting together the 2nd annual DDCN dive at Oronogo, MO, as well as Scubatoys for donating items for the scavenger hunt, John at Oronogo for opening the place up for us, and everyone that came out to participate! Some of us saw some familiar faces and we all met some new ones!

The weather couldn't have possibly cooperated with us any less. It was cold, snowed the entire time we were diving, and I think we all had issues with frozen gear. Vis was maybe 10 feet and the only time I checked the water temperature during the dive it was in the low 40s. That didn't stop a lot of us from jumping anyways... after all, it wouldn't be a DDCN dive if we weren't deep, dark, cold, and narc'd (I know for a fact gNats experienced all four! :smiley2:).

I think we overall failed on the getting pictures front because, well, honestly we were too cold to hold up a camera. Probably 20-30 people ended up showing up despite the conditions, a list of who was there will have to be made by someone else because I did a terrible job at getting peoples names/forum handles. I'm sure someone will have pictures in case any of us need alibis.

Again, thanks everyone for showing up in such terrible weather and getting in some great diving!

Job well done everyone. :smiley31::smiley31::smiley31:

On a parting note, KennyD, you suck for not making it. :D

Brandon Belew
02-28-2009, 19:50
My gear is still frozen, hah.

plot
02-28-2009, 19:53
did i do a dive with you? cause i know i did a dive with someone and i can't remember who the heck it was...

bottomdweller
02-28-2009, 19:56
My gear is still frozen also, But my toes have finally thawed.
It was good to meet you Plot & everyone else in attendance. July should cooperate a little better. Thanks Scubatoys for all you did, & thanks to Capt John!!

wheelman
02-28-2009, 20:18
Yep.... good dives, good people, crappy weather. 2nd the thanks to Capt. John's, Scubatoys, DW, LW and gNats. Some of my gear is still frozen as well but would do it again without any complaints.

Brandon Belew
02-28-2009, 20:22
did i do a dive with you? cause i know i did a dive with someone and i can't remember who the heck it was...

Probably, were you in the red/orange dry suit? If so - yes.

plot
02-28-2009, 21:03

Probably, were you in the red/orange dry suit? If so - yes.

Yup. thought it was you, just wasn't sure.

cowgirldiver
02-28-2009, 21:14
I'm supposed to do a pool dive with a class tomorrow, so I hope my BC defrosts by then!!!

KennyD
02-28-2009, 21:49
On a parting note, KennyD, you suck for not making it. :D[/quote]

Sorry I couldn't make it! Worked Sucked A$$ and everything froze up. Just a suggestion for next year...Move the date to the end of March! Hope everybody had a great time!

cummings66
03-01-2009, 09:28
I had a great time, and none of my gear froze or malfunctioned, unless that is you count my sinuses. I really wanted to do a third dive. I had the air, but just couldn't equalize. But, considering I was pretty sick last week I'm happy I got to do any dives at all.

Thanks to all you guys, enjoyed it all. But then, I love diving in the Winter and do it a lot so I'm used to how to do things without problems. I suspect after yesterday so too do you guys now. Very fun huh.

That was you Plot in the Viking rubber drysuit? This was me.

http://www.mcmsys.com/%7Ecummings/graphics/scuba/oronogo009.JPG

plot
03-01-2009, 10:03
yup. i was in the red viking. had a deep sea supply bp/w too. was also using an apex xtx50 and ds4's.

you really need to stop copying my dive gear :D

DivingCRNA
03-01-2009, 14:59
I also want to thank Captain John's for donating a t-shirt, the scuba-opoly and the two fish ID games, as well as bending over backwards to help people dive in the cold conditions.

BTW-My gear is still "Kyle-Style". Frozen, assembled and in the garage. I guess if it were Kyle's it would be strapped to Clay's boat!

Dark Wolf
03-01-2009, 16:35
LMAO!!!!!

Yes, I would also like to thank everyone that made this event possible. Also those who took care of things in my absence. It was a great turnout, and I got to meet several people that until yesterday I only knew by screen name. It was great to meet all of you, and to see those of you that I already knew.
Wish I could have spent more time out there, but that is the luck of the draw. Rest assured that I will be there and in the water for the next one!

Also a huge thanks to Scuba Toys and Captain Johns. Without the help that they provided, it would not have been nearly as great as it was. Until the next one.............

DW

cowgirldiver
03-01-2009, 18:18
Kyle-hope you and LW get better. And cummings-hope you guys made it home okay after those bran muffins your little one ate-she sure was cute!!! I've already loaded all of Forrest's gear into the Scubatoys gear bag I got. I really enjoyed getting to meet everyone and hope to come back out when the air temp is above freezing!!! gNats-did you make it home okay? It was snowy all the way to the OK line and then nothing.

cummings66
03-01-2009, 18:26
Yeah, believe it or not she never did have to go. Kids surprise you sometimes. I wonder about them at times. I got a cute pic of her at the water line tossing things in to me. She had a good time too, playing with the dog and talking to John, she kept him busy answering questions about the dog.

It was a nice day, and although a slick drive home a good one.

navyhmc
03-01-2009, 19:42
Medic Diver and I finally got home. Jeff fid his solo course today. Well, the class room portion anyway. I spent today hanging out at John's thawing all our gear.

After the last dive, by the time I got to the top of the hill, my Din valve had frozen and I couldn't take my gear apart. It was nicer today, though it was still windy and a bit cold, but it was above freezing.

I know I told DW gNats, DivingCRNA thanks, but that just doesn't seem like enough! Kudos to all involved including John and Regina at Oronogo, Joe, Larry and the staff at Scuba Toys.

And expecially to all the forum members who braved the elements and came to dive Saturday.

gNats
03-01-2009, 20:47
Hey everyone,

back in my home. I want to thank everyone for the wonderful hospitality displayed to me this weekend. It was so great to put names and faces to screen names!

And, really, all the thanks for this shindig goes to DW. I was just the cheerleader. I was able to take my shirt home and I can tell you they are fantastic. I will enjoy wearing that around dive sites this summer and telling the tale of the frozen gear.

I have a lot of reading to catch up on, everybody has been busy posting while I was sans-computer. I also believe I may need to offer up some reply posts to clarify any misinformation posted :smiley2:

ttyl!

navyhmc
03-01-2009, 21:10
Glad to know you made it back home safe Nats. Thanks again for coming down to the shindig. It was nice to meet and chat. Looking forward to July!

gNats
03-02-2009, 10:51
gNats-did you make it home okay? It was snowy all the way to the OK line and then nothing.

The ride to Kansas City Int'l Airport on Sunday was beautiful. If that little rental go-machine was a convertible I would have had the top down. KC did get much more snow than we did in Oronogo. The parking lot at the rental place was a mess!

The porter opened the trunk to take my bags out and there was still snow drifts in the trunk.

oops. LOL.

cowgirldiver
03-02-2009, 12:50
I wondered about the snow in your trunk. I know when I went to put the gloves back (thanks again by the way!!) the trunk was closed but there was still snow in there. And then later when we were talking by the car I saw that you had quite a hill going-could have gone sledding!! I've still got all the smore stuff-well, most of it-I cooked some up on my gas stove last night. Did you send Splitlip a picture of the evil sticks we saw there?:smiley2:

gNats
03-02-2009, 14:36
I wondered about the snow in your trunk. I know when I went to put the gloves back (thanks again by the way!!) the trunk was closed but there was still snow in there. And then later when we were talking by the car I saw that you had quite a hill going-could have gone sledding!! I've still got all the smore stuff-well, most of it-I cooked some up on my gas stove last night. Did you send Splitlip a picture of the evil sticks we saw there?:smiley2:

No! Would you believe I was too afraid to take a photo!

cummings66
03-02-2009, 18:14
Those sticks are pretty scary if you ask me. Well, we all got to fear something.

gNats
03-02-2009, 20:26
I am now afraid of 5mm wetsuit gloves!

cummings66
03-02-2009, 20:56
Get a little cold did ya?

IMO drygloves are the way to fly, the ones I have I got at a hardware store for about $6 and the are tough as nails. Plus, they don't freeze in the cold. Still, what's the story?

cowgirldiver
03-02-2009, 21:08
I think she's talking about cause she got hit upside of head with one!!!

cummings66
03-02-2009, 21:13
Ahh, was is frozen? That would hurt.

gNats
03-02-2009, 21:15
Ahh, was is frozen? That would hurt.

Yes, it did. <pout> right up side the noodle I was hit.

plot
03-02-2009, 21:21
it wasn't frozen... just be glad i took my hand out of it long enough to whop you with it. :D

also, it wasn't a 5mm glove, was a drysuit glove liner. nice soft cottony thing. you would've noticed if you weren't so busy whining ;)

Diving Jayhawk
03-03-2009, 01:39
I wanted to thank everyone involved with this event, despite the absolute freezing cold it was kinda cool to surface in a snow storm!! This was my first time out with you guys, I met a lot of new divers and had a great time doing it. Look forward to seeing you all again out at the O!

navyhmc
03-03-2009, 02:17
I wanted to thank everyone involved with this event, despite the absolute freezing cold it was kinda cool to surface in a snow storm!! This was my first time out with you guys, I met a lot of new divers and had a great time doing it. Look forward to seeing you all again out at the O!

Okay, which of our invited lurkers were you Jayhawk? Just curious as this is your first post.

And not only welcome to the forum but welcome to DDCN as well. Glad to know you had a good time! :smiley20:

Splitlip
03-03-2009, 21:03

I only want to see pictures of you and Nats. :)

You think sticks are funny? Do you think I'm funny? How? Like a clown? Do I amuse you?
Consider this, (and a dozen others) scenario:

You are at depth and you get a runaway inflator. Your fingers are numb as you try to work the QD loose. Your buddy is no where in sight. As you work franticaly to disconnect the inflator hose, you swing your head wildly from side to side searching for help.

Suddenly, your eyes lock onto the ugliest craggiest moss and fungus encrusted branch ever dumped in a lake. The branch is soaking up the water and the bark is bursting and sluffing off the stick.

You think that's funny! You have a strange sense of humor lady.

cummings66
03-04-2009, 06:56
Once I was at Beaver Lake at around 130 feet coming up through a tree grove when somebody above me silted out the entire area. I knew I had branches all around me, a buddy single file behind me due to the opening we were going through and 0 visibility. I did not enjoy the 30 seconds or so it took to pass by the silted out area because there was no way to see the limbs that might entangle you.

We were on a line, but still that's of little comfort. Very common around here for groves on the bottom of lake. We've got one at Table Rock Lake that they call the Enchanted Forest. You dive it and once on the bottom around 100 feet you turn around and look up through the trees. The silt comes off in fine dust like particles from the bubbles and it looks like it's snowing. That is a very popular dive for the better divers.

Of course water temps are around 42 degrees so good gloves and at least a 7mm wetsuit are in order, I prefer a drysuit and drygloves. PS, down deep there isn't moss and fungus on most of the trees, more silt. Up shallow it can look like a slimed out area from ghost busters.

gNats
03-04-2009, 07:41
I only want to see pictures of you and Nats. :)

You think sticks are funny? Do you think I'm funny? How? Like a clown? Do I amuse you?
Consider this, (and a dozen others) scenario:

You are at depth and you get a runaway inflator. Your fingers are numb as you try to work the QD loose. Your buddy is no where in sight. As you work franticaly to disconnect the inflator hose, you swing your head wildly from side to side searching for help.

Suddenly, your eyes lock onto the ugliest craggiest moss and fungus encrusted branch ever dumped in a lake. The branch is soaking up the water and the bark is bursting and sluffing off the stick.

You think that's funny! You have a strange sense of humor lady.

You forgot to mention the stick was laughing at you.

Oh, and when you grabbed hold to prevent your unwanted ascent it broke off in your hands mocking you.

Diving Jayhawk
03-04-2009, 09:17
I was the Marine turned respiratory therapist, oh and I was diving with Shala Perez.

cowgirldiver
03-04-2009, 09:20
SL, I'm afraid that if you saw a picture of the whole group you might not be able to pick us out because of all the clothes we had on to stay warm on the SI. Actually gNats was pretty easy to pick out with that bright hunter orange hat she had on!!

medicdiver
03-04-2009, 09:21
I was the Marine turned respiratory therapist, oh and I was diving with Shala Perez.

Now there is a face with the screen name. It was good talking with you.

cowgirldiver
03-04-2009, 09:26
There are still a few people who I haven't figured out yet, but slowly as these post dive conversations are going on it's getting clearer who was who. Hopefully next time, it will be warmer and we can sit around in chairs topside and have some real conversations. gNats, Shala and I were easy-we were the only 3 women diving (with our whole range of hair colors to tell us apart-the blonde, the redhead and the brunette). Yeah, SL, I think you want to include Shala in the group of people you want a picture of!!

cowgirldiver
03-04-2009, 09:27
We can also identify Jayhawk as the lucky recipient of the reg bag with the reg in it!!!

navyhmc
03-04-2009, 13:27

That's who I thought you were, wanted to be sure before I falsely accused or something. Have fun with that new reg.:smiley20:

Diving Jayhawk
03-09-2009, 17:34
Thanks, Again I had a great time and look forward to doing it again! (when it's warmer out...)

Splitlip
03-09-2009, 17:37
SL, I'm afraid that if you saw a picture of the whole group you might not be able to pick us out because of all the clothes we had on to stay warm on the SI. Actually gNats was pretty easy to pick out with that bright hunter orange hat she had on!!

I bet I could pick out more than a couple of you without clothes.:smilie39:

I crack me up again.

Splitlip
03-09-2009, 17:43
Yeah, SL, I think you want to include Shala in the group of people you want a picture of!!

Is she still hanging out with that Steve guy?

navyhmc
03-09-2009, 19:57
Yeah, SL, I think you want to include Shala in the group of people you want a picture of!!

Is she still hanging out with that Steve guy?

Nah, she's hooked up with this Diving Jayhawk guy...:smilie39:

Diving Jayhawk
03-09-2009, 23:52
Yeah Im not a big fan of that Steve guy either...:smiley36:

navyhmc
03-10-2009, 00:48
Goes to show you: He comes along as a lurker, wins a regulator and splits. Isn't that just like a diver? :smilie39: