PDA

View Full Version : Canon Digital camera cases?

Doghouse
07-11-2007, 17:41
<DIV></DIV>Disclaimer: I am not doubting the problems that some people say they have, I am wondering how prevelent they are.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have a Canon S500 digital camera, and was thinking about getting the dive case for it. I have read where some of the people who have them have had problems with the case leaking. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I was wondering how common this is, and what everyone thinks of the case. Before I drop another 150 on dive equiptment, I want to make sure I am not setting myself up for failure!</DIV>

cummings66
07-11-2007, 18:25
I don't have the case for that Canon, but I do have one for my A620 and so far it's been good to me. I am anal about insuring there are 0 hairs in the gasket and that it's not abused. I'll spend 10 to 20 minutes getting all the fibers out and then I double check it to insure it's clean.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>From what I've read many failures are simply one of failing to insure the gasket is clean and free of gunk. Never assemble it on the dive boat and always be clean with it.</DIV>

johm77
07-12-2007, 01:12
I just bought the WP-DC800 for my old Canon SD400. I was looking for a casing for my 20D, but I have 7 dives logged, and am not ready to invest 1700 quite yet.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have only tested mine in the swimming pool so far, so I can't comment yet on actual dive conditions.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have heard that a lot of the time, the camera case isn't leaking, but condensation forms from the change in temperature underwater.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'll be testing this puppy out within the next couple week, so I'll let you know if I find any leakage.</DIV>

johm77
07-12-2007, 01:17
Also, you found the case for 150? I paid199 from scubadiscount on ebay.I just looked again, and there seems to be some reasonably priced used options that weren't there last week when i ordered.

underwaterdan
07-12-2007, 18:18
I have one for my s630 have had only good luck with it. Max dive so far around 40 feet - not a lick of moisture inside. And the pictures, well they are pretty darn good. I can't see spending the big bucks until I get more time underwater to actually take the pics. Another year or two until then, but for now my underwater pics/videos work just fine with the canon.

przeor
07-13-2007, 04:47
no problem with my wp-dc90 housing for my a620. Been down to 120 with it and not a drop of water snuck in. Easy to manipulate all the controls and no issues what so ever. Just check the o-ring before you seal it up so you don't have any debris and you'll be fine.

cummings66
07-13-2007, 09:36
I think they're good housings if you take care of things, I like the clear housings because you'd be surprised how often you think you've got a pristine o ring only to see a fiber crossing completely through the seal.

Doghouse
07-15-2007, 15:03
Tnx for the info. I am still debating it, but the chances are getting better.

Storm
07-16-2007, 13:43
My WPDC-900 (for my Canon Powershot A80) has seen a more than few dives, both in fresh and salt water, and in depths ranging from 20 feet to 120 feet. NO leaks, fogging.

Like all your other dive gear, it has to be maintained and used correctly. That means the O ring gets a very a light greasing before each day's use. The O ring, channel on the housing is inspected and clean of any salt or other contaminants, and that is no hair or other particles to interfere with getting a good seal.

If you look after your housing, it will look after your camera.

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 20:32
i also have a s500 and have the case and i have had no problem with it leaking found it on ebay have been using for 4 months now

cummings66
07-16-2007, 22:43
The major thing is keeping that O ring clean, also the ones that seal the buttons. My instructions say to move them around in fresh water because it's not a part you can remove.

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 22:47
i agree with cummungs66 i see he already posted but i forgot to say just keep that o ring clean and i wipe mine down with mineral oil ...old trick is what a buddy told me..and like i said no problems so far

WaterRat
07-23-2007, 11:16
I've got one for my A75 and it works great. Just make sure the o-ring is spotless before you close it up. I also soak it in a tub of water for a while before the dive just to make sure. I have a huge card and never open the case on the boat. I do all my opening and closing while in the house/hotel room.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

TAH 73
07-23-2007, 12:33
The one for my S1IS works well as well, and as Water Rat said above, a large card makes it so you don't have to open the case anywhere near water.
<DIV>Mine came with a tube of silicone grease forthe O-ring that gets used whenever I take the case near water.</DIV>
<DIV>As a test i sunk it to the bottom of our pool for 48hrs, not a drop of water entered.</DIV>
<DIV>I have never taken it too deep, andI wondered about the max depth, seeing above people taking it to 120 gives me a little reassurance.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

JugglingMonkeys
07-23-2007, 13:56
How about the "moisture mucher" things? Do those work?

CompuDude
07-24-2007, 16:10
How about the "moisture mucher" things? Do those work?
Yes... but don't bother until you find you need them. I've never needed them with any of the three UW cameras I have used (all canons).

Ruminari
07-30-2007, 20:44
Here's my 2 cents. I've logged probably 30+ dives with my canon housings. As long as you take really good care of the O Rings there's not a problem to be had from what I have discovered. On dives themselves I have only had my case start leaking once and in that case I just surfaced swam back to land and threw the camera in the car and went back out to finish the dive. Like I said that was only once however.

Ruminari
07-30-2007, 20:45
I forgot to mention that when I opened the camera and checked the O Ring, sure enough there was a hair across the seal.

DeepSix
07-31-2007, 10:24
I have an older Canon case for my A70. It has only leaked once and I think it was just because the gasket was a few years old. When I looked real close there were some small flat spots. I have replaced the o-ring and so far so good. So from now on I plan to replace the gasket yearly.

Phestr
08-01-2007, 05:40
No problems with the housing for my A610. As has been mentioned, the more anal you are, the better. I had not heard the mineral oil thing, though. Would be great for lubing the o-rings you can't take out.

Vie
08-01-2007, 05:44
I have a WP-DC7 case for my Ixy 1000 - have taken it down to 52m with no problems.

fox02554
08-01-2007, 07:11
Hi, I have a case for my canon and use it all the time, sloppy wet 4Th of july parties, on the beach in the water, it's been down to 100ft with out a seconds trouble. I would love to replace the camera, but will keep it just to use the case.

peteg
09-19-2007, 15:00
For a recent trip, I bought a used Canon s50 P&S and a new Canon U/W housing from keh.com. Works like a beaut. Good button feel, most controls a readily accessible. Like everyone has mentioned already, clean your o-rings.

BobArnold8265
09-19-2007, 22:05
If your real careful a Canon housing should be fine. However, I think the Ikelites are better made and seem to be less prone to leaking.

Blue Moon
09-20-2007, 15:00
While this is an old thead, since this is a new board and the topic keeps getting bumped, here is my personal experience. For some background Iím a huge Canon fan and shoot Canon dSLRs. I also own a small but growing collection of Canon L glass for my topside images but still shoot a Canon PnS for diving. Iím an experience recreational diver with over 600 dives.

I love my Canon gear but I did experience a latch failure and as a result received a new WP-DC1 u/w housing and Canon PowerShot S80 from Canon earlier this year after they examined my housing and camera. I suspect that Canon doesnít make this specific housing anymore so perhaps the new latches are more robust on the newer models.

My housing and camera survived over 50 dives before the latch failed, however on nearly every dive it had minimal evidence of condensation in the form of tiny droplets inside the housing. I dove with it to 100 feet on multiple occasions but never below 130 feet that it is rated for.

At least with my housing, while barely noticeable, the latch progressively got weaker over time as it seemed a bit easier to close. Although my O-rings were only a few months old, I ordered two new O-rings from Canon when I first noticed that the latch felt ever so slightly easier to close just in case the O rings were deteriorating faster than Canon anticipated... Unfortunately mine was a latch issue so new o-rings didnít help.

My housing and o-rings were always stored according to Canon guidelines. My practice while diving is always to set up the camera in the hotel room and not to open it until my return. I also always alternated the O rings each day to make sure that the camera housing was clean and that a clean and properly lubricated O ring was used. I have 20/15 up close vision so there is little chance that a hair or gain of sand or salt was the reason for my minor teaspoon flood that killed my LCD on the S80.

Bottom-line things break. The moral of the story is that Canon is a great company and replaced both my housing and camera. I would not hesitate to purchase another Canon PnS body and Canon housing for underwater photography. It would be hard to find better performance for the investment than a Canon PnS body and Canon housing until you make the jump to an underwater dSLR housing which I hope is in my not to distant futureÖ

Blue Moon

brando
02-08-2008, 16:55
I have the WP-DC800 housing for the S500, never had a problem. I'm selling it and a Canon S500 in the used stuff section if you're interested.

lisacay
02-09-2008, 09:43
i recently had a canon housing leak. It was while I was taking an underwater photography course. My instructor took a look and could not see anything wrong with it. Our best guess is that the o ring had gotten compressed over time and was slightly misshappen. Replace o rings regularly. Even if they look ok, they might not be. Mine was a very small leak, but that is all it takes. Instructor also suggested having two o rings, one only for storage and one for usage that way it isn't under pressure constantly.

robcomptec
02-29-2008, 14:34
i recently had a canon housing leak. It was while I was taking an underwater photography course. My instructor took a look and could not see anything wrong with it. Our best guess is that the o ring had gotten compressed over time and was slightly misshappen. Replace o rings regularly. Even if they look ok, they might not be. Mine was a very small leak, but that is all it takes. Instructor also suggested having two o rings, one only for storage and one for usage that way it isn't under pressure constantly.

Why not just take out the oring for extended storage times?
The oring is an elastic material, and any elastic material will lose in 'stretchyness' over time. Wouldn't it be better to have the oring stay in unstretched state?
In my experience, I've taken the oring off for extended periods of time, and would place it in a ziplock bag for protection.

CompuDude
02-29-2008, 14:58
Could be o-ring compression, but far more common is a single piece of sand or hair interfering with the seal. The key is to be REALLY careful to keep it 100% clean.