PDA

View Full Version : What I have learned from the ST Forum

Largo
03-03-2009, 18:20
I thought that I had developed good social skills, but my time on this website has taught me a few things about myself, and about the electronic medium.

1. When communicating on the internet, I don't see others as actual people, just as reflections of myself. This is something that I have to remind myself of. When I see someone post something I don't like, I see a part of me that I don't like. This may lead me to post something Snarky. "Snarky" is a special type of smart-alec rudeness.

2. Although I know a lot about diving, I don't know everything, and I am always going to lose if I engage in a debate (online) about some point of diving. The problem is; if in the middle of a thread, I realize that I am wrong, what next? An apology works in verbal communication, but not so great in electronic format.

3. These things considered, it's important to continue to be true to your own ideas, because if you don't; then only the strong-willed, or rude posters get time. Also, the forum suffers as a whole.

I guess what I am trying to get from this thread is the following:

What kind of tattoo should I get, and where should I get it?

Mermaid on the arm? Anchor on the chest? A grim reaper?

Help!

tone
03-03-2009, 20:16
:smiley21:

Vercingetorix
03-03-2009, 21:06
Ya know...I've given a lot of thought about the points you make. And while I can understand them when contextualized in the context of our contextualization, I'm not out of context, when I state:

I like pie

FishFood
03-03-2009, 21:10
My math teacher always told me pie are square. He didn't never beleive me when I explained that pie aren't square. Corn bread are square; pie are round! Silly yankees...

hooligan
03-03-2009, 21:12
De Ja Vu.....

blue37
03-03-2009, 21:14
But, if a train was coming from the west at 70 mph and another was coming from the east at 40 mph...

anyone seen my keys?

Vercingetorix
03-03-2009, 22:36
But, if a train was coming from the west at 70 mph and another was coming from the east at 40 mph...

anyone seen my keys?
Cleveland. The answer to both questions is Cleveland.

hooligan
03-03-2009, 23:21
Take The Blue Pill!!!!!

baywatch106
03-03-2009, 23:40
There can be only one!

DivingAnarchy.info
03-04-2009, 00:20

anyone seen my keys?
Cleveland. The answer to both questions is Cleveland.

Correct but nevertheless it is a proven fact that the difference between a bird is that the length of it’s legs is equal.

John Yaskowich
03-04-2009, 08:26
The answer is 42

wheelman
03-04-2009, 09:47
An inferiority complex toward a rattlesnake goes deep sea fishing with a maelstrom near the sheriff. Furthermore, the bottle of beer sweeps the floor, and a hesitantly dreamlike tornado makes a truce with a wedge of the cashier. A completely South American pig pen, the canyon, and a polka-dotted freight train are what made America great! Furthermore, the cashier near a roller coaster returns home, and a green formless void single-handledly laughs and drinks all night with another asteroid. The fairy near some chestnut thoroughly sells the shabby earring to another highly paid movie theater.

Black-Gorrilla
03-04-2009, 09:57

anyone seen my keys?

definitely the anchor tied to a mermaid on your chest.
oh, and the smoke from the train is blowing to the left

gNats
03-04-2009, 11:06
It takes a big dog to weigh a 100 lbs.

gNats
03-04-2009, 11:08
An inferiority complex toward a rattlesnake goes deep sea fishing with a maelstrom near the sheriff. Furthermore, the bottle of beer sweeps the floor, and a hesitantly dreamlike tornado makes a truce with a wedge of the cashier. A completely South American pig pen, the canyon, and a polka-dotted freight train are what made America great! Furthermore, the cashier near a roller coaster returns home, and a green formless void single-handledly laughs and drinks all night with another asteroid. The fairy near some chestnut thoroughly sells the shabby earring to another highly paid movie theater.

Um, yeah, the attachment says it all (Thanks again Rick, I'm enjoying the heck out of this!)

Vercingetorix
03-04-2009, 11:17
Um, yeah, the attachment says it all (Thanks again Rick, I'm enjoying the heck out of this!)You're welcome. Instead of just the attachment, you may want to put the image in-line in the thread.

scubadiver888
03-04-2009, 12:04
Patience comes to those who wait?

maggs_the
03-04-2009, 12:29

Um, yeah, the attachment says it all (Thanks again Rick, I'm enjoying the heck out of this!)

the attachment is priceless but can i pay with

gNats
03-04-2009, 13:00
Um, yeah, the attachment says it all (Thanks again Rick, I'm enjoying the heck out of this!)You're welcome. Instead of just the attachment, you may want to put the image in-line in the thread.

How do I do that?

medicdiver
03-04-2009, 13:19
You do it by running around in circles with a large egg balanced in your right hand and one wheat toast in your left hand. Once you have completed 3 cicles eat the egg or something like that.

Vercingetorix
03-04-2009, 13:27
How do I do that?
http://forum.scubatoys.com/attachments/site-forum-specific/4305d1236186442-what-i-have-learned-st-forum-bunny-pancake.jpg

1. Capture the URL of the image. I often upload it to the ScubaToys photo gallery, then get the URL from that. However, the image can exist on any web-site. For instance, right-click on the image above. The URL for this image is
http://forum.scubatoys.com/attachments/site-forum-specific/4305d1236186442-what-i-have-learned-st-forum-bunny-pancake.jpg

2. When composing the post, click the Insert Image icon above the edit window (looks like a yellow postcard with a mountain and a stamp). A pop-up will be provided for you to copy/paste the url.

mike_s
03-04-2009, 15:40
My math teacher always told me pie are square. He didn't never beleive me when I explained that pie aren't square. Corn bread are square; pie are round! Silly yankees...

wait a second... I've seen several round corn bread dishes.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/01/11/72/01/0001117201640_215X215.jpg

gNats
03-04-2009, 15:43
Thank you

How do I do that?

1. Capture the URL of the image. I often upload it to the ScubaToys photo gallery, then get the URL from that. However, the image can exist on any web-site. For instance, right-click on the image above. The URL for this image is

2. When composing the post, click the Insert Image icon above the edit window (looks like a yellow postcard with a mountain and a stamp). A pop-up will be provide for you to copy/paste the url.

gNats
03-04-2009, 15:45
i'm bored. i need an adventure.

SynCitizen
03-04-2009, 15:49
Just cause a cat has kittens in the oven doesnt mean you call them biscuits.

Vercingetorix
03-04-2009, 16:13
i'm bored. i need an adventure.Come dive with me in So. California in May. I need a dive buddy and my wife won't dive. I would dive with Compudude, but...he's intimidating. He is, after all, THE Grand Master Spammer.

cummings66
03-04-2009, 17:29
Life, the greatest adventure of all.

68raggtop
03-04-2009, 20:25
How do I do that?

2. When composing the post, click the Insert Image icon above the edit window (looks like a yellow postcard with a mountain and a stamp). A pop-up will be provided for you to copy/paste the url.

My question... if someone changes the image to a different image after you copied the image location, which image will show up in your post? That could make for an awkward post.:smiley2:

blue37
03-04-2009, 20:34
Yes, but a unilateral disarmament will diffuse the bipartisan triumvirate agreement.

John Yaskowich
03-05-2009, 09:17
i'm bored. i need an adventure.
Adventures are nasty, disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! - Bilbo Baggins

Largo
03-05-2009, 12:36
I was thinking about this tattoo. It's from "The Crying Freeman."

It's a green dragon that runs from head-to-toe.

How long do you have to wait to dive, after getting a full-body tattoo?

DivingAnarchy.info
03-05-2009, 20:57
You'll have to wait untill you can go diving again.

teamsterdiver
03-11-2009, 08:23
Most of what I have read on this forum is bulls--t. Although I do have fun reading and replying, many of the responses to my questions are not correct.

If you really want to become an educated diver talk with your instructor.

Maybe ST could add a sub fourm "ask the instructor".

reactive
03-11-2009, 16:36
I was thinking about this tattoo. It's from "The Crying Freeman."

It's a green dragon that runs from head-to-toe.

How long do you have to wait to dive, after getting a full-body tattoo?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1113/751775065_bc372c6145_o.jpg

How about the lady on your chest like "The Mexican" from Desperado?

in_cavediver
03-11-2009, 21:28
Most of what I have read on this forum is bulls--t. Although I do have fun reading and replying, many of the responses to my questions are not correct.

If you really want to become an educated diver talk with your instructor.

Maybe ST could add a sub fourm "ask the instructor".

I'd be somewhat curious to know what you thought was BS. In the area's I frequent, it seems like most of the info is quite good.

MSilvia
03-12-2009, 09:00
Most of what I have read on this forum is bulls--t.
I'd be somewhat curious to know what you thought was BS. In the area's I frequent, it seems like most of the info is quite good.
Likewise, and the information that isn't good seems to get corrected pretty fast by folks who know better.

Granted, I'm no instructor, but then there are a whole lot of instructors not qualified to join me on my more challenging dives. There are a lot of knowledgable instructors out there, but being trained to certify OW divers doesn't necessarily give someone a monopoly on accurate scuba information. I've heard a great deal of BS from certified scuba instructors in my 20+ years as a diver... sometimes even in class.

Vercingetorix
03-12-2009, 09:32
Maybe ST could add a sub fourm "ask the instructor".Ya mean like this?
Ask the instructor (http://forum.scubatoys.com/forums-diving-categories/)

Aquatrax
03-13-2009, 17:33
We operate a little differently here, it's not ask the instructor,

it's WWCD - What Would Compudude Do