PDA

View Full Version : Liberty of the Seas

orion586969
03-03-2009, 19:25
i will be diving from Royal Caribbean (http://www.cruisesonly.com/c/cruiseline.asp?lineid=44)'s "Liberty of the Seas" on 3-26-09
just trying to reach out to see if anyone has done this??

islandbum
03-11-2009, 21:55
I have not done a dive from a ship. I do know that many ops service the ship directly and the price booked from the ship is usually higher than the price you get on the street.
I would not miss a dive in cozumel but sometimes the short time in port will cause you to have less of a bottom time. All the ops give their best so that isn't a slam on the one that make their living off the ships it just a time thing.
Enjoy your dive! Come spend sometime on the island and see what it is really like if you can.

Vercingetorix
03-11-2009, 22:39
Be advised that if you book your dive through the ship, the ship has the responsibility to ensure that you are on the ship before it leaves port. This may involve the ship delaying its departure. Or, worse case scenario, flying you to the next port to catch-up with the ship and refunding a portion of your cruise fare.

If you book you're own dive and you are unable to return to return to the ship before it departs...you are SCREWED. I own a travel agency. We have clients who book their own shore excursions (which is what a dive trip is). When they missed the boat, they REALLY missed the boat. Some of those folks didn't even have their passports with them, because you leave the ship with only your room-card. Take a note: ALWAYS carry your passport.

Big Mike
03-13-2009, 13:04
My wife and I have done several dives from other Royal Caribbean Cruise ships in Cozumel. In fact, that's how we came to enjoy Coz so much. Your safest bet, as indicated above, is to book thru the cruise line (you can do it on their web site ahead of time). The last time we were there we used Sand Dollar Sports. They were great, the boat was something to be desired (a converted pontoon boat) but still we had a great time. Dive leaders were good and attentive. I checked the itinerary, you will have until 8:00 p.m. in port, the dives will be about half a day, probably in the morning. If you don't mind, I would be interested in your thoughts on the ship when you get back. If you need more info, please feel free to PM me. HAVE FUN!!!!

BTW...Good choice, Cruises Only

TxFltMedic
03-23-2009, 13:52
Just my 2 cents... We cruised on the Carnival Ecstasy from Galveston and spent one day in Cozumel. We booked our dive through the ship, who uses Sand Dollar Sports. Arriving in our room about 1030 the night prior to the stop in Cozumel, there was a note under our door stating that our excursion had been cancelled due to lack of participation.

Upon waking that morning, we found out that we were going to arrive in port about 4 hours later than expected. Hearing that our emotions went from being disappointed for booking through the ship to being happy because we were not charged for the excursion. If we had booked on our own, we would have been out the money.

We then found out that the ship was going to leave 2 hours later than posted, which was GREAT news! Having been to Cozumel before and diving through Dive Paradise, we knew we would be able to get in a 2 tank afternoon dive.

Things all worked out for the best and we got 2 great dives in! It was good to see the reefs starting to come back after the hurricanes!

Safe diving!