PDA

View Full Version : Tenkiller Divesites for newbies.

mpd525
08-21-2007, 22:55
Me and the misses are new, and other than diving the platform where we did traning, and the scuba park, what other sites are worth hitting, from shore, we've got a boat also, so boat sites are great. I know Nautical Adventures, has got some mooring bouys set in certain places, and if anybody's got coordinates to these, shoot em' too me. Thanks.

fire diver
08-22-2007, 22:28
Never seen a mooring bouy at any site, but know where the sites are. All require a boat. There is Turkey bluffs, the school house, the homestead, skunk island, and the other island by the dam (I forget the name). Which platform were you talking about, the one up north off the closed campground, or one off Crappie point.?

The guy's at Nautical will be glad to point out on a map where these spots are. They showed me.

FD

Edit -- make sure you have a HEAVY anchor. The bottom is rock, and you can't set into it. Any wind or waves will slowly push your boat away if you try a normal fluke anchor. I have had good luck with a 35 pound river anchor. So far it hasn't moved. Make sure you have the right amount of scope on your line.

cgvmer
08-22-2007, 23:00
Not sure if I want to refer to a "GOOD" divesite as a killer one...

Flatliner
08-23-2007, 08:21

:smilie39:

fire diver
08-23-2007, 08:24

Actually, TenKiller is a name of a resevior here in OK. Tenkiller was the name of a local family who operated a ferry across the river where the dam now sits.

But I get that alot when talking to people not familiar with the lake. My son calls it "ten-turtle" lake because of all the turtles we see sunning themselves when we go boating.

FD

fire diver
08-23-2007, 11:55
Update, I just visited Tim's website. The mooring lines are something new. Glad they have them though. There some sites I haven't dove becuase I was afraid my boat would drift off, and my wife would be sleeping and not even notice.

I also forgot about the WPA bridge. I think that one was marked on the map I lost. I haven't dove it yet though.

FD

mpd525
08-24-2007, 00:26
sounds good, i didn't know i'd need an anchor that heavy, but i guess i'll got get a heavier one, now that i think about it, i need a new one anyway, mine got left on shore at ft. gibson. I'll talk to Tim saturday, that's where we did our training at. on the scope it's 2 ft for every 1 foot down, or is it the other way? Can't remember. Thanks FD

fire diver
08-24-2007, 07:00
scope whould be a minimum of 3:1. Heavy wind or waves you may need up to 7:1. But these are for anchors that are set into to bottom, not just dead weight. I would go with 3:1 anyway.

Oh, those numbers mean for every foot down, you'll need between 3 and 7 times that in length. Anchor in 33 foot of water, you need at least 100 feet of rope. A 15-20 foot section of chain between the anchor and the rope will help in setting and maintaining the anchor

FD

mpd525
08-24-2007, 16:40
FD, are you gonna be at tenkiller any time soon, we can hook up, and you can show me a few of the sites, or just do some dives. We're new so we really don't know much yet, but i am gonna talk to tim tommorow.

fire diver
08-24-2007, 17:10
I am going to try go down there next weekend. Don't think I'll have my boat though. We may sell it this weekend. BUSY boat weekend anyways.

But I'd love to meet for some diving. The dive park is a lot more interesting that just looking at rocks anyway. I'll send you a pm when I get things more finalized.

FD

fire diver
08-28-2007, 08:37
FD, are you gonna be at tenkiller any time soon, we can hook up, and you can show me a few of the sites, or just do some dives. We're new so we really don't know much yet, but i am gonna talk to tim tommorow.

Sent you a PM.

To anyone else in the TK area... I'm going to be there this weekend diving, diving, and diving some more. Love to meet some other board members. Maybe we can have an unofficial "Scuba Toys" dive weekend.

FD