PDA

View Full Version : Does gear bring instant credibility?

Sasha_K
08-21-2007, 23:58
I think the title says it all. I think this could turn out to be a fun topic.

What catches your eye first when you go on SCUBA trips?

I recall when I used to work on my car and race them a bit :smiley16:, you would look for rims, how much the car is dropped, etc. You get what I mean.

So, does flashy gear (or a bad-ass setup like at one of the 'packages' is called sold at this store) bring instant credibility and catch your attention? What do you look for first?

thor
08-22-2007, 00:06
I think quite the opposite is true. I like my DM or instructor to have gear that looks like he pulled it out of Fred Sandfords junk pile. The more duct tape, the better.

Sasha_K
08-22-2007, 00:10
Fair. But, its still the gear that brought the credibility, right? The tough looks are better :-)

Krakenn
08-22-2007, 00:26
I love peeps with all the new gear and toys, I get disappointed when they put it together and the tank is wrong way around!

Kraks

CompuDude
08-22-2007, 01:20
Depends on the gear. All brand new gear can sometimes scream "newbie!" ... and not necessarily in a good way.

All rental gear can tell you this diver may be on his once-per-year dive trip... beware! Ditto for all outdated gear seemingly from the same era.

The experienced divers have a mix of new equipment and old equipment... it's marked with their name somehow, but the markings are a little faded (showing they didn't just get a collection gear off Craigslist).

There are lots of little clues. But nothing is certain. I know a few extremely experienced divers that rent tanks every time they dive, rather than own, for instance. Each individual has to be sized up individually, not rated solely by the pile of gear next to them.

The guy who shows up with the well-used Megalodon, however... probably fairly experienced!

diversteve
08-22-2007, 01:23
Instant credibility for me:

The divers on the boat with the slick looking gear labeled Kiss, Inspiration, Evolution or Megaladon get my immediate attention and respect. Ouroboros would but I've never seen one except on TV. Actually any tank marked Diluent works also. Sidemount tanks and multi-gas computers too.

I have (arguably) the best of everything recreational. The top of every mfr's line that I own except for my computer. Doesn't make me a better diver, just means my disposable income was higher. And all the cred goes away when I almost fall off the boat while putting on my fins...lol.

CompuDude
08-22-2007, 01:32
Scooters and stage bottles. Those bring some cred, too... although in the case of scooters, automatic respect comes only when accompanied by stage bottles... too many big wallets out there.

DSLRs with multi-strobe rigs and jury-rigged, homemade flotation accessories gets my respect, too.

brandon
08-22-2007, 02:04
I was on a dive boat in Maui once - DM had a BP&W setup that was badly sun-faded, nylon on the wing was heavily worn, and the webbing had a fair amount of duck tape on it.

I remember thinking - man, I wish I dove enough that my gear looked like that!

-B.

JugglingMonkeys
08-22-2007, 03:04
I think this is what people call "organizational culture."

JahJahwarrior
08-22-2007, 07:15
Yeah, the things that make me say "dang, that's a good diver!" are:
-scooters. Not the cheapie SeaDoo ones. SS, Gavin, etc.
-stage bottles. Like, 40s and 80s slung for decompression.
-oxygen bottles. I know, technicall a stage of some sort, but that "MOD 20" sticker makes me jealous!
-photo or video gear. Has to be a DSLR and/or have several lights to be really impressive though.
-to some extent, canister lights, BP/W's, doubles, multiple reels, etc can all make me jealous :)

TommyB
08-22-2007, 07:35
This guy should get everyones respect

http://www.dorkdiver.com/photogallery/dorkmik.jpg

I mean, he has it all. And it's all redunant

gtjason2000
08-22-2007, 07:46
now that is some intense accessorization. He does seem to lack a back up slate, probably in a pocket somewhere. I totally don't get the dual snorkel though, it had to be just for the picture. The only thing that gets my attention is serious photo gear. In the divemaster manual they tell you to judge people by there gear.

tedtim
08-22-2007, 07:49
It has nothing to do with the gear. It has everything to do with the means of transporting the gear to the dive site.

The folks that have instant credibility are those that have modified their big trucks with racks, fastening points, and custom made storage spaces where they store all their gear. Heck, if they carry a portable compressor, they get extra points.:smiley2:

Then, when they take the gear out of the back of the truck (it has to be a big truck), they have the collapsable set of heavy duty luggage wheels to cart the four or five loads from the big truck to the dive boat.

They get more points if they have a big dive flag sticker attached to the truck; even more points if they have a dive agency sticker next to it, and bonus points for having a sticker from their LDS.:smiley32:

I saw a couple of divers on a boat once who had those bug eye masks (HydroOptix Mega Double-Dome). These are the masks that work best with folks that are near sighted, otherwise you have to use special contact lenses with them. They could even pronounce the name without taking a breath. Well, they tried them on two dives and we never saw them again during that trip.:smiley16:

Yep, gear = instant credibility.

deepdiver47
08-22-2007, 07:50
By my count the dude has 3 lights, a cave reel, 2 octs and what the heck is doing with 2 snorkels? Does he want to give one to a turtle?

subsur
08-22-2007, 08:09
flashy gear does not work for me. i don't know really, i do notice brands of regulators, fins etc but the thing i pay attention is general behavior of a person especially underwater.

JugglingMonkeys
08-22-2007, 08:23
flashy gear does not work for me. i don't know really, i do notice brands of regulators, fins etc but the thing i pay attention is general behavior of a person especially underwater.

Behaviour of the person??!!??

aw come on...
is that really the important thing?

isn't our stuff more important than who we are??

:smiley5:

Oceanicdb
08-22-2007, 08:50
Fully decked out top of the line equipment is good.....pair of beat up old looking fins is better. Actual water time is key.

94GTStang
08-22-2007, 08:55
I was on a dive boat in Maui once - DM had a BP&W setup that was badly sun-faded, nylon on the wing was heavily worn, and the webbing had a fair amount of duck tape on it.

I remember thinking - man, I wish I dove enough that my gear looked like that!

-B.

Sounds like my DM's set up in Coz. It looked like it was 30 years old and had seen every one of his dives. That's a true trooper right there :smiley20:

No Misses
08-22-2007, 09:08
To me, nothing screams "googan" more than an underwater Ipod. I mean really, do you have to have music to enjoy a dive? I like to hear all the crackling/crunching of wrasses munching on the reef, and the thumping of big aggressive groupers. Now that is music to my ears.

Krakenn
08-22-2007, 09:11
My wife just pointed out to me that the second snorkel is incase he has a failure of his second stage and has to go to his octo!

Haven't you heard of a Occy Snorkel?

Smiles

Kraks

finflippers
08-22-2007, 09:39
I pay less attention to a persons gear and more about how they handle their gear and what they say.

rainmaker
08-22-2007, 09:44
To me, a lot of new, flashy, expensive gear suggests that the owner is a newbie with lots of cash who just got into diving.

I tend to reserve judgment until we all get underwater........

ScubaCrash
08-22-2007, 12:13
Gear itself means absolutely nothing if you can't use it properly. As a golfer I've seen TONS of players on the first tee with 3 grand sets of clubs, embroidered golf bags and top of the line golf balls who can't break 100. The diver is what makes all the difference.

medic001918
08-22-2007, 12:28
I agree I like to talk to a diver to get an idea of their experience and why they're using the rig that they are. Some people are also really good at keeping gear in great condition, and other people are hard on gear by nature. I don't know as though it has to do with if they're a good diver or not. You can get a better idea by how someone talks of their experience and their set up, but ultimately you only know once you're in the water with someone.

Shane

coyote
08-22-2007, 12:35

I mean, he has it all. And it's all redunant

Maybe I missed some vital bit of training somewhere... but what's the bright red spatula for? I have several, but they're used for making cookies....

robanna
08-22-2007, 12:37
but what's the bright red spatula for?

It's for digging a cat hole in case you have to 'go'.

Sasha_K
08-22-2007, 12:45
Absolutely , but these guys look pretty intimidating to me :-) :-)
http://www.scubarecords.com/Scuba%20Diving/wrshake.jpg

http://www.scubarecords.com/Scuba%20Diving/wrsupp.jpg

CompuDude
08-22-2007, 12:52
By my count the dude has 3 lights, a cave reel, 2 octs and what the heck is doing with 2 snorkels? Does he want to give one to a turtle?

It's a joke picture. Complete set of redundant gear complete with orange shovel. A joke from ScubaBoard that has developed into an actual group: Dork Divers. Really.

cummings66
08-22-2007, 13:04
Yup, it's a Scubaboard joke.

For me looks don't mean much, especially when it came to cars. Back in the 80's I had a car that didn't look like much, even had stock rims and all. But under the hood was some power. It was a quiet car, you'd never know it had over 400 HP waiting on tap and could do almost 200 mph, yup I'd had it that high. It'd blow away all those chrome want to be racers, all flash and nothing to back it up. My old ratty car would leave them behind quickly. My motorcycle looked better, but it too would run.

So for me, if it looks good I tend to disrespect you until you prove you're up for it. I still laugh quietly at the kids who have cars with fancy rims and loud mufflers, especially the Honda's.

I've got a buddy with a 68 Camaro with close to 800 HP under its hood, he can take most anything that moves with it, but it looks good and it's earned it's bones. This one is an exception to the rule, but you could tell by how the car moved and sounds that he has something besides looks. The same thing goes for diving gear, you can tell by other details if there's something there. Looks alone won't buy you a second glance from me.

FyVe
08-22-2007, 13:53
I think quite the opposite is true. I like my DM or instructor to have gear that looks like he pulled it out of Fred Sandfords junk pile. The more duct tape, the better.

most instructors do have ratty looking gear, but only because it's been in the pool so much.
ever seen a beige and pink BC?

thesmoothdome
08-22-2007, 14:17
To me, a lot of new, flashy, expensive gear suggests that the owner is a newbie with lots of cash who just got into diving.

I tend to reserve judgment until we all get underwater........

I feel like such a noob. I sold my gear, quit diving for 10 years, got hot in Vegas last summer and dumped a ton on new dive gear because I wanted to start diving again. Lots of flash, more cash than I should have spent, but I needed it all. Noob? Not at all. Rusty? Sure. My gear still looks new though and since I don't have the time I had in my 20s to dive, I'm sure it'll look newer a lot longer than my old gear did.

FyVe
08-22-2007, 14:25

Like the underwater power rangers.

fire diver
08-22-2007, 14:37
Yeah, the things that make me say "dang, that's a good diver!" are:
-stage bottles. Like, 40s and 80s slung for decompression.
-oxygen bottles. I know, technicall a stage of some sort, but that "MOD 20" sticker makes me jealous!
-to some extent, canister lights, BP/W's, doubles, multiple reels, etc can all make me jealous :)

Yep, had that reaction last weekend. My daughter had just finished her 4th OW cert dive (and me taking the opportunity to get any diving in) and we were packing our gear back to the truck. The vehicle next to mine had a hand cart with 40's of "MOD 20" and "MOD 70". I just sighed and thought "DANG I want to go diving with them!"

FD

Rockhound76
08-22-2007, 15:12
I'm an old diver and sometimes it's just hard to keep your gear all the same age. I finally broke down and bought a pair of Biofin Pro's (thanks, ST) to replace my 25yr. old Wenoka's, but not to replace my 30yr. old Jetfins (which I will still use in the proper conditions, thank you.). At this point, nothing esle I use is more than 10yrs old (Ranger), except my knife, but I have a whole closet of stuff still good-to-go at home, some of it more than 30yrs. old.

About old gear and wearing too much "stuff":

True story. Last night my son caught me standing in the bedroom, looking in the mirror while wearing my Ranger BC.

He looked embarassed for me. "What are you doing!?"

"Trying to figure out where to put this knife/shears holder" (Thanks again, ST).

"Dad, don't you think you have enough stuff on you?"

I looked again in the mirror. Sure enough, I looked a lot like the joke photo. I had several bolt snaps zipped tied to my o-rings, a legacy of needing one here, then one there over the years. Dangling below was my "DAN signal tube" which was too big for the accessory pocket. On my shoulder was my backup light, clipped to an D-ring. Dangling from a cord was my new knife/shears, which I had clipped to a d-ring and placed in the accessory pocket. Hanging out of my side pocket and clipped on the left side was a goody bag, normally stored away. On my right shoulder was my safe-second regulator holder (which I wear backwards..on the left side, clipped to the right, because I was trained that way.)

Anyway, I looked like a cluttered mess.

"Dad, have you ever heard of streamlining?"

He had a point. That may be the subject of a new thread.

Btw, I ride bicycles long distance. We also have our equivalent of the new diver with too much money. We call them "Freds". They ride all carbon, ultra light bikes, have the best in cyclocomputers, HRM's, helmets and cycling clothes but are usually overweight and undertrained. They really look good, at least as good as a 50yr. old fat guy in lycra can look, so it makes us other old fat guys riding the scarred old bikes feel good when we pass them up.

CompuDude
08-22-2007, 16:06
Just to state what I hope would be obvious, with certain exceptions for blatantly hard-core tech gear (beatup $5-10k scooters, rebreathers, stage and deco bottles, etc.), the look of your gear is only a possible clue as to the skill of the diver. It helps form a first judgment, but that initial judgment is always highly subject to revision based on the diver's performance in the water.

I've met divers who were outstandingly skilled, but used shoddy rental gear because they were traveling, and one diver in particular comes to mind, who had 500 dives and perfectly impressive looking good quality gear with just the right amount of wear, and was TERRIBLE in the water.

Gear can form an initial impression, and that's certainly the topic of the thread. But I, and I would hope everyone else here, would reserve final judgment for actual in-water performance, vs. assumptions made based on an educated assessment of gear.

dallasdivergirl
08-22-2007, 16:56
I'm an old diver and sometimes it's just hard to keep your gear all the same age. I finally broke down and bought a pair of Biofin Pro's (thanks, ST) to replace my 25yr. old Wenoka's, but not to replace my 30yr. old Jetfins (which I will still use in the proper conditions, thank you.). At this point, nothing esle I use is more than 10yrs old (Ranger), except my knife, but I have a whole closet of stuff still good-to-go at home, some of it more than 30yrs. old.

About old gear and wearing too much "stuff":

True story. Last night my son caught me standing in the bedroom, looking in the mirror while wearing my Ranger BC.

He looked embarassed for me. "What are you doing!?"

"Trying to figure out where to put this knife/shears holder" (Thanks again, ST).

"Dad, don't you think you have enough stuff on you?"

I looked again in the mirror. Sure enough, I looked a lot like the joke photo. I had several bolt snaps zipped tied to my o-rings, a legacy of needing one here, then one there over the years. Dangling below was my "DAN signal tube" which was too big for the accessory pocket. On my shoulder was my backup light, clipped to an D-ring. Dangling from a cord was my new knife/shears, which I had clipped to a d-ring and placed in the accessory pocket. Hanging out of my side pocket and clipped on the left side was a goody bag, normally stored away. On my right shoulder was my safe-second regulator holder (which I wear backwards..on the left side, clipped to the right, because I was trained that way.)

Anyway, I looked like a cluttered mess.

"Dad, have you ever heard of streamlining?"

He had a point. That may be the subject of a new thread.

Btw, I ride bicycles long distance. We also have our equivalent of the new diver with too much money. We call them "Freds". They ride all carbon, ultra light bikes, have the best in cyclocomputers, HRM's, helmets and cycling clothes but are usually overweight and undertrained. They really look good, at least as good as a 50yr. old fat guy in lycra can look, so it makes us other old fat guys riding the scarred old bikes feel good when we pass them up.

but they have the fred marks on their legs. I love freds. They make me feel much better when I ride.

ianr33
08-22-2007, 21:35
. The vehicle next to mine had a hand cart with 40's of "MOD 20" and "MOD 70". I just sighed and thought "DANG I want to go diving with them!"
FD

A beat up Al80 stage with MOD 300 on it is pretty impressive as well

JugglingMonkeys
08-23-2007, 00:53
Like the underwater power rangers.

or monsters from the blue lagoon...

TxHockeyGuy
08-23-2007, 09:04
I generally look for the following and in this order.

1. Snorkels. Especially when combined with rental gear normally means OW student around here. On a boat that might be a little different but snorkels are a huge flag for me.

2. All rental gear. Doesn't necessarily mean they are a bad diver but it is another flag.

3. A walking accessory shop. I'm a little guilty of this myself but most of it is tucked away into pockets where you can't see it. I use a retractor for my SPG, I have a compass on my wrist, I have a wrist computer, I have a backup computer on a retractor, I have a dive knife attached to my right BCD shoulder strap, I have a rescue cutter on my right side waist panel, I have a backup light that goes on all dives in a small pocket, I have a DSBM in my left BCD pocket, I have a spool in my right BCD pocket, ditto for defog and a pair of shears. So I take a lot of crap with me but I still don't look like a walking accessory shop.

4. Completely brand new equipment.

5. Danglies, this often coincides with number 3 and I'm especially talking about unsecured octo's and SPG's.

Those are specifically what I look for with equipment. Although I can usually tell a lot more about how a person puts together whatever gear they may have than by the actual gear. Of course none of this is a replacement for seeing them in the water.

Sasha_K
08-23-2007, 09:16
I actually like TxHockeyGuy's list - nice and honest :-) .

cummings66
08-23-2007, 15:24
I have no pockets save the one on my drysuit. I have my primary reg and backup around the neck. Maybe a can light on the belt, a backup on the strap an an SMB clipped off to the crotch strap at the back of the plate where I can reach it. Sometimes I'll have a camera clipped off. So when you see my rig and me it's pretty minimal with very little on it, I pride myself on a clean no dangly rig. It's been used enough the stainless steel isn't so shiny anymore, the webbing is frayed a bit on the shoulders, the wings not as shiny black as it used to be. My tank's no longer perfect looking, has a few stains here and there from the silt and muck dives, and once when I slid down a clay embankment on the way to the entry point. I misjudged how slick it was so I entered on my back feet first, what a ride.

My Sherwood reg has some sort of brown stain on the purge valve that I can't get rid of, but other than that it looks fine. In general you can tell it's been dove and isn't new. Most of my buddies are the same, some have even rattier looking gear than that. It's all safe though and well maintained.

I used to look at gear and think that guys too poor to buy new, look at it, he should replace this and that. Now I know it's because it's well used.

paintsnow
08-23-2007, 19:45
the way a diver puts his gear together speaks loads to me.
if they know how to do it right, and by themselves without asking for help or having to think about it then I assume they are obsessed with diving like me.

also if they check both of their regs before they spash, even before they do a buddy check means they are cautious and careful. or at least to me it does

and underwater, they may not be the best diver
but if it looks like they are trying, that also speaks a lot about what kind of person they are (careful, careless, clueless etc.).

Osprey
08-23-2007, 23:39

Now we break into song..

TRANSFORMERS: more than meets the eye!
TRANSFORMERS: weirdos in disguise!
Uber-divers wage their battle to destroy the evil forces of the.. the..

well gosh, what ARE they doing?

Sasha_K
08-23-2007, 23:52
@Osprey - those guys were a part of the crew who helped this girl Nina Preisner set the world record for deepest dive done by a woman (160m) - on 'Jolanda'. I picked up the article in Scuba Diving magazine and searched the net a little bit.

http://www.oceantechnical.com/nina.htm

chewyjr15
08-24-2007, 00:05
is this generally a bad thing to look like a nooby i mean everyone has to start somewhere this coming from me who is a very large nooby and just starting OW classes when i go out on a dive boat with new gear will everyone shun me i mean i want to learn from the more experianced divers out there?

3rdEye
08-24-2007, 00:39
every sport seems to have those people who buy way to much crap, and spend waaaaay more time talking on message boards than they actually spend doing said activity.....they always kind of make me laugh.

when i was in Coz, our DM was a 60 something yr old guy who had been diving there for over 35 yrs....he used the same crappy looking equipment that we had rented from him. Had a camera, and an SMB and reel...used a snorkel....and a simple computer and SPG. Dude was like an acrobat in the water....and probably knows more and has experienced more than most divers. That's someone i can learn from.

3rdEye
08-24-2007, 01:02

Now we break into song..

TRANSFORMERS: more than meets the eye!
TRANSFORMERS: weirdos in disguise!
Uber-divers wage their battle to destroy the evil forces of the.. the..

well gosh, what ARE they doing?

whatever it is, I'm sure they are Doin It Right

fire diver
08-24-2007, 07:07
Nope, I see paddle fins and force fins. if they were Doing Somthing Right they would be wearing blades only

CompuDude
08-24-2007, 14:48
Nope, I see paddle fins and force fins. if they were Doing Somthing Right they would be wearing blades only

Just as much of a dead giveaway is the fact that they have stage and deco bottle slung willy nilly on both sides. DIR divers only sling to the left, to keep the right hand clear to run the scooter (among other reasons).

CompuDude
08-24-2007, 14:52
is this generally a bad thing to look like a nooby i mean everyone has to start somewhere this coming from me who is a very large nooby and just starting OW classes when i go out on a dive boat with new gear will everyone shun me i mean i want to learn from the more experianced divers out there?

Not at all. Everyone starts somewhere. The question in the original post was what sort of gear is going to gain the owner "instant respect" as an accomplished diver... a new diver doesn't really apply to the question.

I dive with inexperienced divers frequently with the group I go out with socially. Everyone starts somewhere, and many (tho not all) groups welcome new divers with open arms. The exception would be when an advanced dive is planned, or a training dive where distractions would interfere with the planned purpose of the dive. For a general recreational dive, however, I have no problem diving with newer divers. It's all karma... advanced divers helped me when I was starting out, so it's only fair to return the favor. :)

Sasha_K
08-24-2007, 16:34

Just as much of a dead giveaway is the fact that they have stage and deco bottle slung willy nilly on both sides. DIR divers only sling to the left, to keep the right hand clear to run the scooter (among other reasons).

Hm. Good eye, and while it makes sense to me, and I will take your word for it , I got the info from here. http://www.oceantechnical.com/nina.htm Looks legit to me, especially after I have read the story in August edition of (I think), Scuba Diving magazine. I just picked up a few of them while I was having my coffee at Chapters.

CompuDude
08-24-2007, 16:56

Hm. Good eye, and while it makes sense to me, and I will take your word for it , I got the info from here. http://www.oceantechnical.com/nina.htm Looks legit to me, especially after I have read the story in August edition of (I think), Scuba Diving magazine. I just picked up a few of them while I was having my coffee at Chapters.

It's certainly legit... per that article, the woman is a TDI instructor. It's just not DIR. But tech diving and DIR are not synonymous terms. :)

hoop
08-25-2007, 18:18

Not at all. We all started somewhere. We've all put our BC's on the tank backwards, forgot to turn the tank valve on, forgot our fins, etc.. And it will happen to you. Just remember, learn from your mistakes. That's how we improve. That, and listen to the advice some of the more experienced divers give.... There's a lot of wisdom out there, and I've found that most are more than willing to help the new guy out.

gtjason2000
08-25-2007, 19:11
[quote=hoop;35526]We've all put our BC's on the tank backwards, forgot to turn the tank valve on, forgot our fins, etc.. /quote]

Been there done that. Feeling like noob inspired me to continue training.

Zenagirl
08-26-2007, 07:59
Come on, let's admit it....those of us with over 100 dives still forget to unbungie the tank once in a while when boat diving! <LOL>

One of the biggest clues that there are newbie divers on a boat is when they stand around and watch me set up my kit! We were on a boat last Christmas and 2 of only 4 folks with our own gear. I looked up while setting stuff up only to see 4 folks watching and pointing at my gear. Later one of the DMs on the boat (whom we know) came over and told us that they had never seen a BC like mine (back inflate with a wing, no jacket), and they were fascinated by our computers. I remarked that it was too bad they didn't talk to me, I would have explained everything to them.

So my advice for newbies...when you're diving and see an interesting piece of gear that another diver has, don't be afraid to talk with them and ask.

TexasFreddy
08-26-2007, 09:03
Credibilty is earned......I'm a forklift mech. & Iv'e seen a guy w/ ~$30,000 of Snapon tools take 2 hours to change some load wheels.....Iv'e also seen a mech. that knew what he doing do the same job in 30 min. W/ a 16 penny nail & a hammer. The snapon tools were very pertty & caught my eye the guy w/ the hammer earned my respect.

Sasha_K
08-26-2007, 10:01
One of the biggest clues that there are newbie divers on a boat is when they stand around and watch me set up my kit! We were on a boat last Christmas and 2 of only 4 folks with our own gear. I looked up while setting stuff up only to see 4 folks watching and pointing at my gear.

Zenagirl, I think you are spot on :-) . I can actually see myself doing that. Not that I didnt know how to put it togeter :smiley2:, but I was just checking if the other guy did it right :smiley2::smiley2: :-)

cgvmer
08-26-2007, 22:03
I am a noobie! I have purchased some gear new, some gear old. I suck air so I rent steel 100's. How did I know about that? I talked to other divers.

There are some divers that won't talk to you about diving or their gear but these people are few and far between. I know I learn from people that are better than me.

skippy11
08-26-2007, 23:49
I am a newbie too. So far, I've relied on my dive buddys to help show me gear, etc. I have learned more being around the dive community than anywhere else.

Bill22
08-27-2007, 06:13
I feel like such a noob. I sold my gear, quit diving for 10 years, got hot in Vegas last summer and dumped a ton on new dive gear because I wanted to start diving again. Lots of flash, more cash than I should have spent, but I needed it all. Noob? Not at all. Rusty? Sure. My gear still looks new though and since I don't have the time I had in my 20s to dive, I'm sure it'll look newer a lot longer than my old gear did.

Don't feel bad... my situation too almost exactly.... Difference is even though my gear hasn't been used a lot yet either, it doesn't look brand new anymore. I've had my gear for about two months. I only average diving once a week, but the environment here is tough on gear. I've got some pretty good nicks in my wetsuit from being slammed into rocks by surge (a valuable lesson there;-)). Everything from my fins to my new u/w housing for my camera, to my bc have their share of scrapes and scratches.

It's not because of number of dives but because of the conditions. Just another consideration, when sizing people up. Having said that though there is probably something to be said for the experience gained from difficult diving conditions. My buddy who is an instructor says if you can dive Japan you can dive anywhere! I know it's tougher than any conditions I ever dived under in Florida! :-)

Bill22
08-27-2007, 06:20
One of the biggest clues that there are newbie divers on a boat is when they stand around and watch me set up my kit!

I suspect that will also happen when people are not necessarily brand new, but could be rusty or just not gone diving in a while or possibly like this group were interested in a setup that was unusual for them. Even though I have over a 100 dives, I still went slow and watched what the people around me were doing when I first started diving again after a long layoff. Now that I'm comfortable again, I just zip through :-)

RikRaeder
08-27-2007, 06:49
Gear used to be a major indicator, but just this month my buddy had a problem with his rental bc. We took the overpressure relief cover off and looked, but what do we know (not much). There were a couple of guys in expensive dry suits with expensive scooters who seemed to know what was going on, so we flagged them over for help. They looked under the cover and scratched their heads. When we returned the rental to the shop, it seems that it was missing a spring the diameter of a quarter which should have been just under the cap. If ever I see that condition again, at least I'll know it's sans a spring. Was a bit disappointed in dudes. I guess clothes do not make the man after all. In their defense, they were pretty nice though.

cgvmer
08-27-2007, 07:04
Gear means money, doesn't indicate skill, cause you can buy gear not skill.

Kingpatzer
08-27-2007, 10:09
zip ties!!!

Appearantly, only advanced divers are allowed to buy them. Everyone else must use really expensive specially marketed connectors with little scuba flags on them.

Charlotte Smith
08-28-2007, 10:44
NOt impressed at all by the gear...its their actions underwater that get my attention....

Sasha_K
08-29-2007, 11:19
I should have made this into a poll :-) . But overall conslusion (in my opinion) is that most of us do get influenced by equipment - which can be hi-tec, worn out (experience!) or flat out expensive :-) .

mwhities
08-29-2007, 11:23
My dive buddy told me this:

"I want a good dive buddy, not a dive buddy with good gear!".

Well, I've stopped buying (so much) gear and I'm diving more now. :)

All of my gear is brand new minus my fins. I'm starting the "wear them out' process now. :P

Michael

WV Diver
08-29-2007, 12:09
Gear has nothing to do with credibility in my book, just as rank has nothing to do with respect. Respect comes from the way you handle yourself and so does credibility.

The best dressed diver can still be a hazard to himself and others and a General can still be an a**.

Your gear, whether you are DIR an Instructor or whatever else you may be in the scuba world can only take you so far. How you handle yourself above and below the surface is what gives you credibility with me.

scubasamurai
08-29-2007, 12:48
just depends how the gear looks, if it is too new i have questions for ya, did much diving or did your old stuff fall apart underwater and you didn;t want that to happen again. me i have amix and didn;t get my own gear till i was rescue certified because i was still paying around and see what fits.
if you have a guy showing his sh*t like it was the second coming than i tend to avoid him unless i knew him personal, because some, well maybe all y friends are nut cases with big egos.

mm_dm
08-29-2007, 12:55
Doesn't buy instant credibility, but it certainly can get my attention. Especially if it's an item I've been lusting after, like a VR3.

scubasamurai
08-29-2007, 14:26
your an easy date than, just have the right dream gear and bingo!!

mm_dm
08-29-2007, 14:39
You say that like it's a bad thing...

Rockhound76
08-29-2007, 14:55
One of the biggest clues that there are newbie divers on a boat is when they stand around and watch me set up my kit! We were on a boat last Christmas and 2 of only 4 folks with our own gear. I looked up while setting stuff up only to see 4 folks watching and pointing at my gear...SNIP.

It depends on why they're lookin'. When I go riding on my bicycle, people stop and stare. I used to think it was because of my all carbon bike, or my new cyclocomputer, or maybe my colorful attire.

My kids filled me in: I just look god-awful dorky in that get-up.

If someone watches me set up my gear, I start wondering if I'm doing something really silly and they are just reluctant to interrupt a "great-funny-dive-story-in-progress".

Capt Hook
08-29-2007, 14:56
You know, I think I'm more inclined to see how they set up their gear and if they seem comfortable getting ready for the dive

cutter77
08-29-2007, 17:26
the way a diver puts his gear together speaks loads to me."

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-29-2007, 17:45
No, nor should it. If someone is diving with the best most expensive gear it can mean one of two things: They have a lot of money or They MAY have some credibility.

If they diving with worn less expensive geaar it can mean they dive a lot and know how to shop for gear that will last and be functional for them and their type of diving or they are cheap.

Non of the above indicates for sure what kind of person or diver they really are. The only way to know is to get to know them and observe their skills in and out of the water.

I know PADI takes a lot of heat but one thing they tend to stress is Dive, Meet People, Have Fun!! Afterall isn't that what we all really want to do anyway?

<<Note for Larry: I typed that fast for you!! :smilie39:>>

scubafreak
08-29-2007, 18:06
I think anyone who has taken up diving deserves respect. I am fairly new to diving and have bought really good quality gear which will probably start to look old after a few years just like old gear does.

The thing with me is that I spend more time washing my gear after a dive than actually diving. I make sure I do a very thorough job cleaning my gear as I want it to last. So my gear will hopefully not look old and worn for a long time. If you are going to spend big money on gear, look after it.

What about the instructor who has just replaced his gear after 3000 dives and you get on a boat with him for the first time? Are you going to think " look at that w@nker with the big mouth and the new shiny gear"?

I say that if you have the money to buy the best then go for it. Why should I buy buy second hand gear as a new diver instead of a great setup?

I have been lucky in that my regular dive buddy is an instructor. We dive every week and I have had the advantage of diving with his experience by my side. I have a lot of confidence in my diving even though I may have only 5% of the number of dives that many of you have.

I say you should give the credibility to the guy who has started diving and has spent big bucks on his gear. After all, he is serious about his safety and his new found passion.

Just my 2c worth

Sasha_K
08-30-2007, 09:00
Agreed that the way someone behaves (both in / out) is the most important thing. But at the same time I find it hard to believe some of you dont get influenced by looks, period.

Sasha_K
08-31-2007, 19:27
C'mon, this wouldnt be intimidating? :-) ...from the front page of ScubaToys

http://www.scubatoys.com/datamasknowin.jpg

CompuDude
09-01-2007, 17:36
C'mon, this wouldnt be intimidating? :-) ...from the front page of ScubaToys

http://www.scubatoys.com/datamasknowin.jpg

Not even a little bit... it would only impress me with the size of their wallet.

scubasamurai
09-01-2007, 17:58
depends on the dive buddy , and how much money they acutally have for my set of gear that they will give me for bailing their butt out hahahah

Zenagirl
09-02-2007, 07:24
We dive exclusively warm in tropical locations and I often get teased about being "hard core" because of my Zeagle BC and Jetfins, so I do think gear sometimes influences people's perceptions.

Don't know about being "hard core" though since I'll take a shallow, warm reef and lots of pretty critters to look at over a deep, cold dive any day of the week! ;)

Hemlon
09-02-2007, 07:39
I'm not necessarily impressed by expensive gear but I am cautious when I see excessively cheap gear or mising parts. (Like people who buddy dive without an octo or combo octo/inflator!)

It makes me wonder if the people takes their life (and my life!) seriously.

plot
09-02-2007, 07:49
jacket style bc's always make me leary of a diver... especially the brightly colored new ones. i also avoid people with that powerinflator/octo all in one deal... such a stupid idea

i notice camera equipment and mod20 bottles more than anything. if anything, these are the guys that have their bouyancy down so i usually dont gotta worry about them coming over the top of me and finning me or silting up an area or something.

i also try to stay away from camera people though, becuase if i'm looking at a pretty fish or something and they notice me... i'll be jumped by 4 giant cameras all of a sudden chasing away what i was looking at.

Bill22
09-04-2007, 18:59
By the way in my new profile picture I'm wearing all my nice, new, shiny dive gear :-) You can't really see the scrapes and nicks in the photo, but at least I'm not to faded yet ;-)

Zenagirl
09-04-2007, 19:08
jacket style bc's always make me leary of a diver... especially the brightly colored new ones. i also avoid people with that powerinflator/octo all in one deal... such a stupid idea

i notice camera equipment and mod20 bottles more than anything. if anything, these are the guys that have their bouyancy down so i usually dont gotta worry about them coming over the top of me and finning me or silting up an area or something.

i also try to stay away from camera people though, becuase if i'm looking at a pretty fish or something and they notice me... i'll be jumped by 4 giant cameras all of a sudden chasing away what i was looking at.

Are you serious?? Please tell me you aren't!

Bill22
09-04-2007, 19:15

Of course she isn't serious :-) Read some of her other posts.... her husband is a photographer ;-) Hmmm.... maybe she is serious :-))

georoc01
09-05-2007, 11:18
@Osprey - those guys were a part of the crew who helped this girl Nina Preisner set the world record for deepest dive done by a woman (160m) - on 'Jolanda'. I picked up the article in Scuba Diving magazine and searched the net a little bit.

http://www.oceantechnical.com/nina.htm

I was wondering about that. It reminded me of the team on a free diving show on Discovery HD when they were breaking the records. They had safety divers set up with those type of rigs along the route just in case.

Then I got to thinking, ok, the free diver panics at depth and has an out of air situation, does that mean you would then have to put the free diver on your Octo, and then bring them up through the deco stops?

What was interesting after the diver had completed his record, his safety divers were still doing their deco stop so he free dove back down to them with a bottle of champagne and they were taking sips underwater.

plot
09-05-2007, 17:15

Of course she isn't serious :-) Read some of her other posts.... her husband is a photographer ;-) Hmmm.... maybe she is serious :-))

why wouldn't i be serious?

and why do you think i'm a chick, a married chick, and a married chick with a photographer husband?

Charlotte Smith
09-05-2007, 17:36
We dive exclusively warm in tropical locations and I often get teased about being "hard core" because of my Zeagle BC and Jetfins, so I do think gear sometimes influences people's perceptions.

Don't know about being "hard core" though since I'll take a shallow, warm reef and lots of pretty critters to look at over a deep, cold dive any day of the week! ;)
I am with you Zena girl! Warm dives are great!

Aussie
09-05-2007, 18:41
http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/1/1/4/1/Allenpower.jpg

How about this guy?
Would you Seriously dive with him?
No Wing, just a cylinder and the old plastic backpack.

Comments please.

Aussie

P.S If you know who he is dont comment. I would like to see the replies

mwhities
09-05-2007, 18:45
http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/1/1/4/1/Allenpower.jpg

How about this guy?

Comments please.

Aussie

That's old school. When divers were divers. I'd dive with him.

Michael

Zenagirl
09-05-2007, 18:51

and why do you think i'm a chick, a married chick, and a married chick with a photographer husband?

You're just making huge negative generalizations based on gear choices, that's all.

willardj
09-05-2007, 19:00
I find it easier to judge the person by the way the act(above and below water) than by the gear they wear. Thats just me. I've seen people with old worn out and/or new gear that looked like crap above and below water.

Black-Gorrilla
09-05-2007, 19:26
some gear is a give away... but i dont see rentals as signs of newbies... especially here is sofla, where a ton of people come to dive.
this last weekend i just dove with a man (in his 50's) from Hawaii. he was using rental gear (with the exeption of reg/mask/fins/computer) and he was a great diver. has about 1700 dives... just cause he wears rental stuff... doesnt mean anything. he was great to dive with... and a really nice person. i talked to him, and he mentioned some of his gear that he left back home (bp/w) cameras and the fact that he was AOW and Deep diver... but with rental BC.
do i judge him differently before we were in the water? no... but had he looked like the transformer with the 2 snorkels... then maybe.

CompuDude
09-05-2007, 19:46
How about this guy?

Comments please.

Aussie

A backpack diver? Sure, in a heartbeat... I can, I would, and I do, on occasion. As Michael said, that's old school, and someone who can dive a backpack well knows more than a little bit about buoyancy control...

plot
09-05-2007, 21:07

You're just making huge negative generalizations based on gear choices, that's all.

thats what the thread is all about!

Aussie
09-05-2007, 21:20
Gear Does not bring instant credibility!

I have seen the following:
*All brand new gear, top of the range everything, Finished OW yesterday
*All the tech gear you can think of but no idea of how to use it. Example, diving with a OMS twin bladder 100lbs lift with a single 80AL. WTF? That would bring the boat up if it sunk.
*Old gear which is well used and faded. They bought off Ebay or borrowed of a mate. But they had only done a handful of dives
*Camera setups worth $20,000 which they bought last week and never used a camera before

So No, Gear doesnt bring instant credility.

Aussie,

P.S I would like to be a power-ranger look alike one day

Aussie
09-05-2007, 21:23
And Split fin users!

No credibility!!!!!!!

Aussie

I am stirring the pot and waiting for replies.

scubafreak
09-05-2007, 23:04

*All the tech gear you can think of but no idea of how to use it. Example, diving with a OMS twin bladder 100lbs lift with a single 80AL. WTF? That would bring the boat up if it sunk.
*Old gear which is well used and faded. They bought off Ebay or borrowed of a mate. But they had only done a handful of dives
*Camera setups worth $20,000 which they bought last week and never used a camera before

Aussie,

So from this, you have pretty much said that no divers are credible :confused:

Aussie
09-05-2007, 23:41

Aussie,

So from this, you have pretty much said that no divers are credible :confused:

No dive gear will give you instant credibility.

Its what YOU do in the water that counts.

Aussie

woody
09-06-2007, 00:45
yes it can! In the eyes of the DM. Here is a story as an example.
My DM went on a vacation a couple of years ago with his girl friend. Being that he is my DM, he is in a full DIR rig, All the H's on it. His girl being his girl to is in a full DIR rig, Long hoses, jet fins and HID canister lights. Well the trip had an option to do some cenote diving if opted for. Well of course everyone went for the option. Part of the orientation for the cenote dive is a quick buoyancy test and skill test. Well the DM looked at my DM and his girl, “OK, you two are squared away.” He then turns to the other 2 divers in the group and does a skill review with them. Having never seen either of them underwater the DM made a judgment that my friends were good to go.
I’m glad that they were but again he made a judgment based solely on gear.

All the cool toys do to!
I do tend to be wary of the stickers though, especial of the MOD 300 sticker varieties. I have not seen many divers that I would want to be there with.

I do tend to pay closer attention to technically or DIR type divers. I’ll admit it I am evaluating them as to weather I would dive with them or not.

Aussie
09-06-2007, 01:04
Heres a story too:

Boyfriend has been diving for years and has all the toys. New girlfriend comes into his life with no dive experience. Boyfriend kits out girlfriend the same as he does. He knows whats where and how to use it. Girlfriend is a mirror image of the boyfriend but is basically fresh out of OW.
I have seen alot of recent "H" clones out there with very little experience and alot of money to burn. There's your instant credibility.

Aussie

przeor
09-06-2007, 01:53

It isn't that guy I'm worried about, it's his buddy in the cammo wetsuit I'd be scared to dive with...

Aussie
09-06-2007, 02:31
I love camo suits. Just that the spearo companies dont make them big enough.

They are great for photographers.

Aussie

Bill22
09-06-2007, 03:26

I am sorry... I have to apologize to two people "plot" and "Zenagirl". When I originally responded to this post I realize now that I was responding to Zenagirls response to plot and I got the two of you confused. Zenagirl of course is "a married chick with a photographer husband" and an experienced diver who's posts I enjoy reading. I know because I looked at her posts. Zenagirl... plot please accept my apologies for the confusion. Totally my fault.

As far as the reason that I didn't think you were serious... Your post seemed pretty tounge in cheek to me. You came across as someone with a very dry sense of humor :-) I've known some people who just like bright colors (obviously I'm not one of them, see my profile picture) but it didn't take anything away from their dive skills. Photographers were complimented in a positive manner on their buoyancy skills in one paragraph and then treated negatively in the next. I do believe that there are some photographers who act like you mentioned in your last paragraph, and if you are being serious then you've obviously had some negative experience to base that on, but not all photographers are like that. So no I didn't take it serious. No offense intended.

Again I hope both of you will accept my apologies.

Zenagirl
09-06-2007, 07:24
No worries Bill.....Plot is using his dry sense of humor and I'm lamely trying to be his straight man....I don't think either was very successful. ;)

plot
09-06-2007, 16:27
now i'm even more confused. :(

NEXT THREAD

(oh yea, i was joking about the brightly colored bc's, but not the photographers that see something they want a picture of and swarm it. ;) )

Black-Gorrilla
09-06-2007, 17:24
And Split fin users!

No credibility!!!!!!!

Aussie

I am stirring the pot and waiting for replies.

i hear Larry's footsteps right now...