PDA

View Full Version : Acid reflux at depth? Anyone?

mksmith713
03-06-2009, 07:51
I was wondering if anyone who suffers from frequent acid reflux or indigestion ever has symptoms appear at depth when diving?

mksmith713
03-06-2009, 07:53
I've had this problem since I started diving and though I really didn't give it much consideration before I started diving but was curious if it was from compression at depth pushing inward forcing acid up.

ScubaToys Larry
03-06-2009, 08:40
This was a huge problem for Joe... to the point where he would down half a bottle of pepto before a dive - and still had the problem. One day, he borrowed my reg - and magically - no problem.

Turns out his was caused by the extremely dry air you get when diving, and I use a Bio Filter (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BioFilter) on my reg. So not being a doctor - but we assumed it had something to do with the throat drying out so much that was causing the problem, and by adding the humidity back into the air he was breathing - the symptoms all disappeared. Now he has no problems, and doesn't have to over dose on pepto if he uses the bio filter.

So whether it's bio filter, or make sure you get in tons of fluids before the dive, and maybe those juice packs to try to drink underwater - see if not drying out your mouth, throat, etc can cure your problem.

CompuDude
03-06-2009, 12:06
Good to know, Larry. My wife may be getting certified soon, and has acid reflux. I'll keep an eye out and make recommendations as needed.

Tully Mars
03-06-2009, 13:00
Ordering Bio-Filter ASAP. I haven't been diving in three days and I'm still popping Tums as of this morning. It's been like this since I started diving. Dive for three to five days straight and pop Roll-Aides or Tums for two to three days. I've tried Pepto, Tums etc... before/after nada, still got the acid crap.

Thanks for the advice. Will report back the effectiveness for me.

mksmith713
03-06-2009, 14:08
Wow, I actually feel like I did something helpful.....:)

mksmith713
03-06-2009, 14:12
Hye Larry, do you suppose you could add a flavoring or flavored water to the filter?
Hell, I'm up for adding spiced rum.....:D

Lulubelle
03-06-2009, 15:11
Well, that is an interesting idea Larry. I wonder if my reg can be outfitted with the Bio Filter.

Most likely though, people with mild reflux not requiring any attention on land will have more severe symptoms simply because of the position they are maintaining while diving. Acid doesn't roll uphill very easily when you are standing or even lying down, but when diving, it certainly can role downhill very easily due to the position you are in.

It really should not be taken too lightly. Not only is it very uncomfortable to be having these symptoms while diving, it can actually be a little dangerous. You could aspirate acid into your lungs. If you are having these symptoms, take a real acid blocker before your dives, not TUMS which is more for symptom relief. You can get an H2 antagonist like Pepcid and Zantac over the counter, or you can a proton pump inhibitor like Prilosec over the counter. But I'd take something.

I use Zantac before my dives. It is a less complete acid blockade than the proton pump inhibitors but is enough for my symptoms underwater.

TommyB
03-06-2009, 16:01
Well, that is an interesting idea Larry. I wonder if my reg can be outfitted with the Bio Filter.

Yes, Pretty much all regs can use it.
The Bio Filter hooks to the first stage LP port. Then the LP hose hooks to the Bio Filter then to the 2nd stage Reg.
Bio Filter is attached to the LP port on the 1st stage.

So, any reg should be able to use it, long as they use the standard LP hose

bdbrown4764
03-06-2009, 17:13
I take Prilosec daily (prescribed) and do not have any trble with my acid reflux... Miss a couple days and here it comes.

Tully Mars
03-06-2009, 17:53

Yes, Pretty much all regs can use it.
The Bio Filter hooks to the first stage LP port. Then the LP hose hooks to the Bio Filter then to the 2nd stage Reg.
Bio Filter is attached to the LP port on the 1st stage.

So, any reg should be able to use it, long as they use the standard LP hose

Yeah I ordered one today and you simply have to ensure you get the correct size. My Zeagle is 3/8". They also offer it in 1/2" for (I think) Mares et el.

I'll report back how well it works.

Tully Mars
03-06-2009, 18:26
So I've been doing it wrong for years? I'm shocked, just shocked I tell you!

Actually I tried Pepcid once but really didn't notice much difference. I always right back to munching Tums. Never happens with anything else but diving. Ok, maybe tequila. Maybe I'll try Zantac. Is it possible my system could react differently? Or are they the same thing just different brands? I'm ordering that Bio-Filter. If nothing else I'm assuming my mouth won't get so dry. After about 4-6 tanks in a day my mouth is toasted.

Thanks for the advice

Most likely though, people with mild reflux not requiring any attention on land will have more severe symptoms simply because of the position they are maintaining while diving. Acid doesn't roll uphill very easily when you are standing or even lying down, but when diving, it certainly can role downhill very easily due to the position you are in.

It really should not be taken too lightly. Not only is it very uncomfortable to be having these symptoms while diving, it can actually be a little dangerous. You could aspirate acid into your lungs. If you are having these symptoms, take a real acid blocker before your dives, not TUMS which is more for symptom relief. You can get an H2 antagonist like Pepcid and Za ntac over the counter, or you can a proton pump inhibitor like Prilosec over the counter. But I'd take something.

I use Zantac before my dives. It is a less complete acid blockade than the proton pump inhibitors but is enough for my symptoms underwater.

mksmith713
03-06-2009, 22:00
Tully, please keep us posted on how well the Bio Filter works.
I dive so infrequently, I think I'll stick with chewable Rolaids for now since they seem to work for me.
If it turns out the Bio Filter is the answer to all of our prayers....I'll get one.

Tully Mars
03-06-2009, 22:13
I dive so infrequently, I think I'll stick with chewable Rolaids for now since they seem to work for me.
If it turns out the Bio Filter is the answer to all of our prayers....I'll get one.

You can count on it.

Lulubelle
03-06-2009, 22:33
So I've been doing it wrong for years? I'm shocked, just shocked I tell you!

Actually I tried Pepcid once but really didn't notice much difference. I always right back to munching Tums. Never happens with anything else but diving. Ok, maybe tequila. Maybe I'll try Zantac. Is it possible my system could react differently? Or are they the same thing just different brands? I'm ordering that Bio-Filter. If nothing else I'm assuming my mouth won't get so dry. After about 4-6 tanks in a day my mouth is toasted.

Thanks for the advice

It really should not be taken too lightly. Not only is it very uncomfortable to be having these symptoms while diving, it can actually be a little dangerous. You could aspirate acid into your lungs. If you are having these symptoms, take a real acid blocker before your dives, not TUMS which is more for symptom relief. You can get an H2 antagonist like Pepcid and Za ntac over the counter, or you can a proton pump inhibitor like Prilosec over the counter. But I'd take something.

Tully, TUMS/Rolaids will give you the quickest symptom relief once you have GERD symptoms, but they are not very effective at actually stopping acid production. The H2 blockers like Pepcid and Zantac block some of the acid production but do not relieve symptoms immediately. They work best if you take them a few hours before you eat/dive. The over the counter strength may not be adequate, there is a prescription strength too. I prefer this class because it works well for me. There are also fewer concerns about having a more complete blockade of acid leading to decreased vitamin absorption. The proton pump inhibitors (Prilosec, Prevacid, Nexium) are more complete acid blockers. The downside of this class is that you have to take them for several days before they really do their job. So they wouldn't be the best choice if you only need them when diving, you would be better off with an H2. They also might interfere with vitamin absorption a bit.

If you are having acid reflux symptoms when diving, I would recommend you try an H2 at prescription doses.

Yes, I have a license to offer such tidbits.

Tully Mars
03-07-2009, 04:53
[quote=Tully Mars;278764]
If you are having acid reflux symptoms when diving, I would recommend you try an H2 at prescription doses.

Thanks for the advice. I can walk into any Costco and get "prescription" doses of these meds. Now since you obviously know what you're talking about. What is a prescription dose? I went to the Pepcid site and became rather bored rather quickly.

BTW- I have a license to drive does that count for anything?

Lulubelle
03-08-2009, 17:56

Thanks for the advice. I can walk into any Costco and get "prescription" doses of these meds. Now since you obviously know what you're talking about. What is a prescription dose? I went to the Pepcid site and became rather bored rather quickly.

Tully, I can't tell if you are being funny or actually want me to answer your question. So I'll just answer it. I offered my comments as means to explain why TUMS/Rolaids are not likely to be too helpful for persistent reflux which is described as being as severe as in the OP's post. The next step is the H2 antagonists (Zantac, Pepcid, etc). An advantage to this class is that they work quickly and may be easier to use for someone who does not need them when not diving. The prescription doses which were used are higher than the OTC doses in pharmacies. If that fails, the next step is the proton pump inhibitors. The disadvantage here is that you need to take them for several days before they become effective, so maybe not the easiest to use for a diver who does not need them while not diving. They are very effective, so much so that some have been concerned about the impact on vitamin absorption. You can get these OTC too.

As for dose, I will not offer comments on dose on this forum. Mine is a prescriber's license and I'd like to keep it. I know you can buy anything you want in Mexico, so these shouldn't be a problem for you to get.

Tully Mars
03-08-2009, 18:57

Tully, I can't tell if you are being funny or actually want me to answer your question. So I'll just answer it. I offered my comments as means to explain why TUMS/Rolaids are not likely to be too helpful for persistent reflux which is described as being as severe as in the OP's post. The next step is the H2 antagonists (Zantac, Pepcid, etc). An advantage to this class is that they work quickly and may be easier to use for someone who does not need them when not diving. The prescription doses which were used are higher than the OTC doses in pharmacies. If that fails, the next step is the proton pump inhibitors. The disadvantage here is that you need to take them for several days before they become effective, so maybe not the easiest to use for a diver who does not need them while not diving. They are very effective, so much so that some have been concerned about the impact on vitamin absorption. You can get these OTC too.

As for dose, I will not offer comments on dose on this forum. Mine is a prescriber's license and I'd like to keep it. I know you can buy anything you want in Mexico, so these shouldn't be a problem for you to get.

I wasn't trying to be funny. Well other then the driving comment which was admittedly lame. It was a long day. Moving sucks.

I found the info I needed. I will try this with the bio-filter.

You can't get anything in Mexico, not legally. But usually anything non-psychotropic is OTC.

coloradopomi
04-16-2009, 12:20
I've put up with GERD for years and am a true convert to my prescription Prilosec. With it I don't have the problem diving. However, before my diagnosis it was a different story. I would also suggest, in agreement with most of what has already been said, that your body's position has a lot to do with it as well as the standard GERD issues. I found when I was diving and looking for stuff under ledges or along the bottom that I spent a significant amount of time in a head down attitude. When I stayed that way for much of a dive I ended up with fairly brutal GERD symptoms. I guess my bottom line is to make sure you pay attention to the attitude of your body in the water. Lots of time with the head lower than the stomach and it seems to exaxcerbate the issue.

BeautyBelow
04-16-2009, 12:25
I would like to have a dollar for every dive I have suffered through, until like Lulu said, I started taking tagamet, at least on days where I dive. Big big difference. Better living through chemistry I guess.

lucidblue
04-16-2009, 13:19
I have horrible acid reflux for hours if not days after diving. I should probably get some GI tests done because I have some issues when I'm not diving too. In the meantime, I will try Pepcid or Zantac before dives.

Travelnsj
04-16-2009, 16:30
Don't worry a lot of people get it....Take a Zantac an hour before a dive and if you eat before you dive also down a couple of Rolaids.

Tully Mars
04-19-2009, 09:50

Sorry for the delay. I almost forgot all about this thread.

I used the bio filter a week or two ago and yes I noticed a rather large difference in the amount of acid reflux. Not a complete "fix' but much better. Lulubelle's advice on medications was helpful too. Between the two I found post dive to be much more comfortable. I also found my mouth wasn't bone dry after diving. It's not cheap but I think I'll order one for my back up (ProSub) set up as this one only fits on my Zeagle.

gee
04-20-2009, 01:43
I was wondering if anyone who suffers from frequent acid reflux or indigestion ever has symptoms appear at depth when diving?Well not exactly. I get an occasional acid reflux but not at depth. It seems to occur at the safety stop. I haven't given it much thought until your post brought it to my attention.

lucidblue
04-20-2009, 10:25

Sorry for the delay. I almost forgot all about this thread.

I used the bio filter a week or two ago and yes I noticed a rather large difference in the amount of acid reflux. Not a complete "fix' but much better. Lulubelle's advice on medications was helpful too. Between the two I found post dive to be much more comfortable. I also found my mouth wasn't bone dry after diving. It's not cheap but I think I'll order one for my back up (ProSub) set up as this one only fits on my Zeagle.

I guess I'll look into the Bio Filter too.

Tully Mars
04-20-2009, 14:40
Well I'm just one guy. Results for you may be different. But like Larry said Joe had the problem until he started using the Bio-Filter so I assume we're onto something. But the more data the better on stuff like this. So please report back if you do get one.

drako
04-21-2009, 08:13
Very rarely I get it at depth. However if I eat ANYTHING an hour before a dive (sometimes more) I get for the WHOLE freaking dive.

clararhb
04-22-2009, 22:55
I don't eat really close to a dive and if I do it is rather bland. I ate a sausage, which I knew better than to do, and had to call a dive early. I was in bad shape. As I was coming up I noticed that it got better.

petronius
06-07-2009, 16:31
I haven't had it for a while, but it seems to me that it was most common when I dove on a full stomach, especially with lots of carbs. (Pretty much the same stuff that caused it when I wasn't diving.) Also, I tried adjusting my dive position to avoid arching my back along with not cranking down too tightly on the cummerbund/BC strap. That really seemed to help...

Cheddarchick
06-07-2009, 16:36
Really bad when you accidentially swallow salt water..But I take a Pepcid daily anyway

Diver mom Tulsa
07-15-2009, 16:22
I have GERD and a hiatal hernia. I take Nexium on a daily basis. I have never had a problem diving. I sometimes feel sick if I eat like a sandwich on my SI but it seems to go away when I get back under the water. Either it goes away or I am having so much fun I forget about it! I do drink more water before, during my SI and after my dive than the average diver - that too could help keep it at bay.

PTAaron
07-15-2009, 18:52
I had it BAD during my open water cert dives and for a day or so after... so bad that I spent most of the night between the 2 days of diving sitting on the edge of the hotel room bed because if I laid down I would get a mouth full of stomach acid. Great times!
I'm sure that was a combination of nerves, cold water, and dry air though... that and the large amount of quarry water I sucked down when my rental regulator started (badly) leaking water at depth on the second "pleasure dive" interval between skills... but that is a different story all together.

lucidblue
07-16-2009, 11:21
Zantac did the trick on my last trip.

scubagirlj
07-16-2009, 18:12
hum...bio filter might solve two problems-acid reflux, and cotton mouth i get from nitrox-time to make the call to ST........

Suther2136
07-17-2009, 20:54
Interesting, I suffer acid reflux at night but never at depth...

Megan
07-18-2009, 18:44
I'm a SLP and occasionally work with people who have GERD. Heck, frequently work with people who have it.

It is usually the result of the pressure system in the esophagus getting messed up. Ok, boys, don't giggle but I'm gonna use the word sphincter. LOL. You have a sphincter in your throat and another at the entrance of your stomach. The sphincters are designed to always be closed but when it senses that there is something in your esophagus, then they both open and that is when reflux sometimes occurs.

I've never had a patient complain of it being worse when diving but a lot of my patients are in their 70s and 80s and wheelchair bound. It does make me wonder if the pressure at depth is messing with y'alls esophagus and the pressure system there.

As for Nexium, from my understanding it doesn't stop reflux--it just neutralizes the acid from it.

scubajane
07-20-2009, 15:48
check your diet . if i eat peanut butter before I dive i get horrible heartburn. so no peanut butter. no pineapple for hubby that causes severe nausea and occasionally the urps for him. definitely do not eat 'ocho nacho grande bean and burrito' prior to a dive. also try ginger. you can get ginger tabs from a health food store. ultimately just do what works!! happy acid free diving!!

mitsuguy
07-20-2009, 18:29
As for Nexium, from my understanding it doesn't stop reflux--it just neutralizes the acid from it.

Actually, Nexium basically keeps your stomach from producing as much acid...

Same with Prilosec and Pepcid AC... Pepcid doesn't work on a long term level like the others though...

Keep in mind, some Prilosec has an antacid built in...

Prilosec is usually the solution for quick heartburn relief... Any heartburn that occurs frequently, you'll want Nexium / Prilosec...

John Yaskowich
07-21-2009, 08:30
also try ginger. you can get ginger tabs from a health food store.
I think I have died and gone to heaven - my bulk food store has ginger dipped in dark chocolate! Wonderful stuff!

mitsuguy
07-21-2009, 08:55
also try ginger. you can get ginger tabs from a health food store.
I think I have died and gone to heaven - my bulk food store has ginger dipped in dark chocolate! Wonderful stuff!

except the fact that chocolate can contribute to acid reflux...

jugglematt
08-30-2009, 22:55
i had it pretty bad after a hernia repair surgery,
i guess due to inactivity during my recovery i lost all my muscle strength in my core ,
i would have reflux during dives , at work , at nite when i went to bed , and any other time .

i avoided big meals, lots of fluid and laying down with a full stomach . i would always have a pac of antacids in my pocket ready to chew .

as time went by and i gradually became stronger again the reflux passed and now im back to normal .

my doctor said poor core strength can contribute to reflux

Matty

Lulubelle
08-30-2009, 23:40
Actually, Nexium basically keeps your stomach from producing as much acid...

Same with Prilosec and Pepcid AC... Pepcid doesn't work on a long term level like the others though...

Keep in mind, some Prilosec has an antacid built in...

Prilosec is usually the solution for quick heartburn relief... Any heartburn that occurs frequently, you'll want Nexium / Prilosec...

Mitsuguy, you seem to know a lot about this class, but so do I and I'd like to offer a different opinion. Or maybe just a different way of explaining it.

These drugs fall into two categories, proton pump inhibitors and H2 blockers. Pepcid/Zantac/ etc are H2 blockers. Prilosec/Nexium/etc are proton pump inhibitors.

The H2 blockers like Pepcid and Zantac have a less complete acid blockade. This is a good thing when it comes to vitamin absorption. But only if they control your symptoms. At prescription strength, not OTC, they can be very effective. They are also actually the drug of choice for people needing occasional and rapid relief as their onset of action is much faster.

The proton pump inhibitors like Prilosec/Nexium/etc are more powerful but they are known to interfere with vitamin absorption as they leave very little stomach acid. They are indeed necessary if an H2 fails or for very severe presenting symptoms. They are not the drug of choice for people needing rapid relief as their onset of action takes days. They need to be taken daily to be effective.

I take Zantac at prescription strength for these reasons. A few times a week on land, always before diving as my reflux is terrible when diving, most likely due to the position we are in in the water.

Flatliner
08-31-2009, 21:55
I am going to chime in with Lulu on this one. Both as a sufferer and as a nurse. On dive trips Zantac 150s otc do wonders for me.

Travelnsj
09-01-2009, 12:39
I take Zantac at prescription strength for these reasons.

What is the prescription strength? you can get the 150 OTC.

Being the last 4 weeks I've been eating right (mostly), exercising daily, losing weight etc...symptoms have disappeared:smiley20:....do not know about underwater yet...it have been 5 months since I've been wet:smiley13:

Lulubelle
09-01-2009, 13:03
I take Zantac at prescription strength for these reasons.

What is the prescription strength? you can get the 150 OTC.

Being the last 4 weeks I've been eating right (mostly), exercising daily, losing weight etc...symptoms have disappeared:smiley20:....do not know about underwater yet...it have been 5 months since I've been wet:smiley13:

Either 150 BID or 300 BID are typical prescription doses. Someone who needs it frequently and who is also lucky enough to be insured would probably fare better financially getting the 150s via prescription as opposed to OTC.

Not always a matter of eating properly, tomatoes and red wine are good for you but bad for reflux. Weight loss will help some people. I'm just glad that it is an occasional issue for me, but one dive with killer heartburn will make you take it every time thereafter.

Travelnsj
09-01-2009, 16:40
One problem about getting a prescription....About 7 years ago I did get one (and only one prescription and one fill!) from my Doctor for Zantac 150. The one and only time!!!!!!....about a year or so later I was trying to change my insurance....Blue Cross would not change my policy or Aetna would not take me.....Because I had Acid Reflux disease!

Lulubelle
09-01-2009, 21:25
One problem about getting a prescription....About 7 years ago I did get one (and only one prescription and one fill!) from my Doctor for Zantac 150. The one and only time!!!!!!....about a year or so later I was trying to change my insurance....Blue Cross would not change my policy or Aetna would not take me.....Because I had Acid Reflux disease!

And to think, there are people in this country who actually believe it is OK that these things happen and want nothing to change. :smiley5:

timawa
09-25-2009, 05:39
Acid reflux is a bad thing for scuba divers. It is so hard to scuba when you have acid reflux. Therefore, before going into the deep, it is advisable to eat foods that are rich in. Foods alkaline that are rich in alkaline are the different variety of fruits and vegetables.

palmboy
11-09-2009, 05:43
I get this all the time, bio filter? please explain who makes them how much and are they compatible with mares proton ice?

TommyB
11-09-2009, 11:41
I get this all the time, bio filter? please explain who makes them how much and are they compatible with mares proton ice?
Apollo Bio Filter reviews and discounts, Apollo (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BioFilter)

Apollo's patented moisture system can now be added to almost any brand regulator. The Apollo Bio Filter is easy to install, use, and maintain. The moisture system assures clean moisturized air.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/regs/pics/biofilterontank.jpg

If your reg uses standard 1st stage threads order the 3/8 thread version. If your 1st stage hose uses the larger 1/2 inch size (Mares Abyss, US Divers, etc) order the 1/2 size. Then you simple screw it into first stage port and hook up your reg hose. The rubber shock mount will stop unit from getting jarred and the easy to open chamber requires no tools - just your hands.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/regs/pics/biowater.jpgJust add some water to the sponge and screw it back together and increase the humidity of the air you're breathing to 60% - instead of the .1% you're used to!

Lulubelle
11-09-2009, 11:51
Apollo Bio Filter reviews and discounts, Apollo (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BioFilter)

Apollo's patented moisture system can now be added to almost any brand regulator. The Apollo Bio Filter is easy to install, use, and maintain. The moisture system assures clean moisturized air.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/regs/pics/biofilterontank.jpg

If your reg uses standard 1st stage threads order the 3/8 thread version. If your 1st stage hose uses the larger 1/2 inch size (Mares Abyss, US Divers, etc) order the 1/2 size. Then you simple screw it into first stage port and hook up your reg hose. The rubber shock mount will stop unit from getting jarred and the easy to open chamber requires no tools - just your hands.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/regs/pics/biowater.jpgJust add some water to the sponge and screw it back together and increase the humidity of the air you're breathing to 60% - instead of the .1% you're used to!

Is this something that should be installed by a qualified service technician (for those of us who do not know how to repair our own equipment) or is it meant to be user installed?

Do you personally find that it makes a big difference?

inventor
11-09-2009, 11:52
I've got acid reflux, was on Nexium, now self medicating with Rantinodine 150 mg OTC. Always get major heartburn while diving, and have even harked up after a couple of dives. Thought it was just me. And I have the weak core muscles mentioned previously.

Lulubelle
11-09-2009, 13:00
I've got acid reflux, was on Nexium, now self medicating with Rantinodine 150 mg OTC. Always get major heartburn while diving, and have even harked up after a couple of dives. Thought it was just me. And I have the weak core muscles mentioned previously.

You might be better off with the OTC prilosec than with ranitidine inventor. Better acid blockade. I take ranitidine occasionally, always when diving, but it is enough. If you are having breakthrough symptoms, try the prilosec. If you have prescription coverage, go there, it will be cheaper for you.

inventor
11-09-2009, 13:13

You might be better off with the OTC prilosec than with ranitidine inventor. Better acid blockade. I take ranitidine occasionally, always when diving, but it is enough. If you are having breakthrough symptoms, try the prilosec. If you have prescription coverage, go there, it will be cheaper for you.

Will do, Thanks!:smiley20::smiley31:

Lulubelle
11-09-2009, 13:22

Will do, Thanks!:smiley20::smiley31:

You are welcome. If you are goofy like me and want to know, ranitidine is in the class called H2 blockers. prilosec, nexium, etc are proton pump inhibitors. Doesn't mean that they are 'better', just that they block acid more completely. Stomach acid helps people absorb vitamins, digest food, etc, so you should use the one that does the job and no more. For me, ranitidine is fine.

inventor
11-09-2009, 13:26
You are welcome. If you are goofy like me and want to know, ranitidine is in the class called H2 blockers. prilosec, nexium, etc are proton pump inhibitors. Doesn't mean that they are 'better', just that they block acid more completely. Stomach acid helps people absorb vitamins, digest food, etc, so you should use the one that does the job and no more. For me, ranitidine is fine.

Yes on the goofy and want to know. :smiley32:

Lulubelle
11-09-2009, 13:29

Yes on the goofy and want to know. :smiley32:

I kind of figured. I'm the same, goofy is good. :smiley20:

TommyB
11-09-2009, 15:45
Is this something that should be installed by a qualified service technician (for those of us who do not know how to repair our own equipment) or is it meant to be user installed?

Do you personally find that it makes a big difference?

Pretty much if you can change a hose, you can add this in-line.
Don't use it any more, due to diving past the depth rating of it.