PDA

View Full Version : Junior BCDs

Pasaltran
03-06-2009, 22:25
Looking for Manufactors of Junior sized BCD. My little one is fairly small ( just under 55lbs.) All of the small womans BCD are too large, for example the Oceanic Hera. What BCD do others have for small kids and what do you look for?

Thanks

Rainer
03-06-2009, 22:27
Your absolute BEST bet for a young diver is a backplate and wing with a hog harness. The plate and wing will serve her well from her current age into adult hood. As she grows, you'll just need to reinvest in webbing. At 50 cents / ft (with maybe 8' feet needed in total), that's *really* cheap. Furthermore, the hog harness can be indefinitely adjusted, and will yield a perfect fit.

K9Pig
03-06-2009, 23:08
I think the BP&W would be something that your little one could grow with and easy to adjust with age. I have one for my daughter....

Oceanic makes a kids BCD (Explorer) and I believe Zeagle also has kids BCD (Ranger Jr.) I am sure there are others, but these are the ones I know of on the market...

Pasaltran
03-06-2009, 23:20
Any recommendations on the Wing and plate sizing? What size of wing does one get? (i.e. lift)

Scubling
06-29-2009, 09:15
My first BCD was the Sherman Avid it may be a little big but they have a wide range of childern sizes. Not to mention durable!

cgvmer
10-28-2009, 11:53
My duaghter and 1 son have diverite transpacs, my other son (and me) have BP/w's. the sizing of a bp/w is dependent on your diving, so you can determine materiel(weight) of the backplate and the lift of the wing.

jupitertreasures
12-01-2009, 07:17
Finding a BC that small can be a daunting experience.
My wife is only 5'0" and we had a heck of a time finding an XS BC to fit her.
For my daughter, (not quite 4" tall yet)I opted for an extra small Halcyon SS backplate with a Jr wing.
The nice things with a BP set up is you can start them early by rigging a makeshift SASY rig.
Just use something bouyant instead of a wing.
An old PFD was what I used and it works great.
My little one can snorkel on the surface using a pony bottle and reg and feel like one of the big kids.

Rileybri
12-01-2009, 07:35
Scott from Zegal has on several occasions stated that the XS Zena makes a great Jr. BCD. I am also fairly cretin that they will be offering a truly Jr. dedicated BCD in the spring. As for what size type of wing to look at. I would thing an 18# wing would be just fine for a Jr. diver. I would look for a wing with a true 360 wring design so trapped air pocket (thinking DR rec. wing) is not an issue. Look at plates the come in lengths and find one that matches their torso size......

rayaa3
12-01-2009, 10:23
Oceanic Explorer Youth BCD reviews and discounts, Oceanic (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OceanicExplorerYouthBCD)

I'm thinking of getting this for my daughter. She's 11 in March.

phil_218
01-31-2010, 08:28
When deciding what to start my son (10) with I had thought about bp/w, but I have always heard its a little harder to deal with at the surface and didn't want it to be an uncomfortable experience for him. I shopped around several sites and contacted local dealers. I finally settled on a S Sherwood Avid from Scuba Toys which should be shipped this week. (btw Thanks, Jordan!)

naplestreasures
07-21-2010, 12:11
Your absolute BEST bet for a young diver is a backplate and wing with a hog harness. The plate and wing will serve her well from her current age into adult hood. As she grows, you'll just need to reinvest in webbing. At 50 cents / ft (with maybe 8' feet needed in total), that's *really* cheap. Furthermore, the hog harness can be indefinitely adjusted, and will yield a perfect fit.

While I agree wholeheartedly, my little one wasn't keen on being face down while at the surface.
She liked the Jacket style BCD better.
Anyone out there shopping for a small Oxycheq SS backplate?

naplestreasures
07-21-2010, 12:13
Almost forgot...we settled on a AquaLung Wave Jr. BCD.
There are others though.
The Oceanic Explorer comes in sizes down to XXXS and the Cressi 5R and the Mares Kaila to XXS

tk trekers
07-26-2010, 18:17
My daughter used an AquaLung Wave Jr. in her cert class but I haven't been able to find one for her. I was told that they were discontinued and haven't found any used ones for sale. Where did you get yours?

tk trekers
07-30-2010, 00:17
Ended the search by purchasing the Zeagle Ranger Jr at Scuba Toys today. A very nice, quality product at a really good price with the forum discount too.

naplestreasures
11-20-2010, 16:50
Mine is 50 inches tall, 28 inches qaround the chest and she weights 52 pounds and the AquaLungs wave Jr is perfect for her.

grahamfairbank
02-01-2011, 14:24
My daughter uses the XS Oceanic Hera, which has spectacular adjustments - on the harness, and cummerbund... and perhaps most importantly, has some color to it. we bought it used for 200, and it seems she has a ton of room to go in it.

Don't be afraid to buy used - especially in BCDs, people buy them, try them, get bored (how?) of SCUBA, or realize they don't fit well, and it seems most every used BCD out there is in wonderful condition.