PDA

View Full Version : Equalization Problem

texarkandy
08-22-2007, 07:29
I've never had a problem with equalization in my diving 20+ years ago or since my my re-cert earlier this year & getting back into it.

A couple weeks ago though I was at CSSP doing some shallow diving with my quite talkative buddy. We went down to about 20' for 5 minutes or so (no problems) & my buddy gave me the signal to come up. We came up & my buddy told me what she wanted to tell me (entirely unrelated to the dive & no reason at all to surface). When we went back down a few minutes later I started having trouble equalizing at about 10', again at 15', & again at 20/25'. I was really surprised as I've never had equalization problems. Finally got things cleared (I've got eustachian tubes the size of the Chunnel) but it took quite a bit longer than usual for me & I was starting to become unsure if it was gonna happen & I'd have to call the dive.

An couple hours later we dove (dived?) a different site at CSSP & once again after a few minutes my talkative buddy wanted to come up & tell me something after a few minutes. Same thing happened when we descended again.

I did have a perforated eardrum a few years ago (since healed) & that particular ear seemed to have slightly more of a problem than the other, but both were affected.

Anybody else experienced something like this?

(Note: my buddy has since been counseled re: surfacing from a dive after starting just to "have a chat")

creggur
08-22-2007, 08:34
I haven't had this happen yet, but I've read on other forums where divers talk about "bouncing" up and down causes them clearing problems. Maybe you had a slight reverse or something holding your tubes closed not allowing you to clear properly after that first descent...
Have you had any ear pain or problems since this dive??

BSea
08-22-2007, 09:00
I have basically the same problem. I have no problems unless I come up above 20' then go back down on the same dive. I've been diving since the late 70's, and it's always been this way for me. I can do a short SI and have no problem. It's just the bobbing up & down that gives me trouble.

I don't always have this problem on every dive, but it occurs often enough, that I do what I can to avoid the yo-yo diving.

NitroWill
08-22-2007, 09:05
More then likely it is the up and downs - a lot of people have problems when they surface and try to go make down again - if you HAVE to just take it very slowly (both ways)..

I think my best suggestion would be to tell your dive buddy right before going under - if shes got something to say - say it now or wait til the end of the dive!

finflippers
08-22-2007, 09:12
I have always thought it was just me. Some times I have the same problem when I surface for only a minute or two and head right back down.

Doghouse
08-22-2007, 09:45
First suggestion:

Purchase a slate. That way they can tell you w/o having to bounce all the time.

Second suggestion: Ahhh.... Ummmm... Guess I only have that one suggestion. :)

texarkandy
08-22-2007, 14:43
First suggestion:

But - that's one of the things I love about diving, it's an activity we can enjoy together & I don't have to hear yap, yap, yap the whole time !!! (she has come up with some very creative hand signals though)

greyzen
08-22-2007, 16:12
First suggestion:

Sadly, my suggestion is not as helpful... but does involve rock similar to slate and stuffing your buddy into them.
:anim_stick::bash:

lucidblue
08-22-2007, 18:48
I have issues if I bounce up and down too much too. My other issue is that I can only clear by holding my nose. I wish I could do the wiggling the jaw thing...

porsche060
08-24-2007, 14:11
I've never had a problem with equalization in my diving 20+ years ago or since my my re-cert earlier this year & getting back into it.

A couple weeks ago though I was at CSSP doing some shallow diving with my quite talkative buddy. We went down to about 20' for 5 minutes or so (no problems) & my buddy gave me the signal to come up. We came up & my buddy told me what she wanted to tell me (entirely unrelated to the dive & no reason at all to surface). When we went back down a few minutes later I started having trouble equalizing at about 10', again at 15', & again at 20/25'. I was really surprised as I've never had equalization problems. Finally got things cleared (I've got eustachian tubes the size of the Chunnel) but it took quite a bit longer than usual for me & I was starting to become unsure if it was gonna happen & I'd have to call the dive.

An couple hours later we dove (dived?) a different site at CSSP & once again after a few minutes my talkative buddy wanted to come up & tell me something after a few minutes. Same thing happened when we descended again.

I did have a perforated eardrum a few years ago (since healed) & that particular ear seemed to have slightly more of a problem than the other, but both were affected.

Anybody else experienced something like this?

(Note: my buddy has since been counseled re: surfacing from a dive after starting just to "have a chat")

Get a new buddy :-)