PDA

View Full Version : DIR Gear set-up Links.

Black-Gorrilla
03-07-2009, 11:01
Might as well have a thread with links to various sites that show DIR gear set up... such as stage bottles, backplates, doubles etc... as well as things that people mod such as wrist mounts, dump valves and what not.

Please add to the list, and in the future we can refer people here for gear set up help.

DIR-diver.com - Equipment (http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/) - on the left side there is a menu with useful info.

Hogarthian Harness Assembly Instructions (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/hogrigging.shtml) - Hog harness set up found at dive rite express

CompuDude
03-07-2009, 22:26
Dang, I have more links on my other computer. But here's a start:

GUE's DIR Equipment Configuration (http://gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html) (the official source)

BAUE How to Size a Backplate (http://www.baue.org/faq/backplate_sizing_inline_images.php)

BAUE Equipment Images (http://baue.org/images/galleries/v/equipment/)

How to Attach a Bolt Snap (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/boltsnap.shtml)

RoyN
03-09-2009, 14:17
Good ole Clinton from the baue group.

3rdEye
03-09-2009, 14:30

where's this guy's weight belt?

Rainer
03-09-2009, 14:49
Um, he doesn't have one. What's your point?

CompuDude
03-09-2009, 14:51

Not everyone needs or uses weight belts. But I suspect for the photos, he simply didn't wear one for clarity.

For technical diving, wear the weight belt under the crotch strap... everything simply goes on top. For recreational diving, it's up to you, but I wear under there, as well. It's just one additional buckle in the very unlikely event of a problem.

3rdEye
03-09-2009, 16:22

well, it's a photo that's meant to illustrate how everything is to be worn, so I'd expect to see some weights somewhere in there.

Rainer
03-09-2009, 16:25

well, it's a photo that's meant to illustrate how everything is to be worn, so I'd expect to see some weights somewhere in there.

Do you see the backplate and those doubles? That could we all the weight he needs.

3rdEye
03-09-2009, 16:26

Not everyone needs or uses weight belts. But I suspect for the photos, he simply didn't wear one for clarity.

For technical diving, wear the weight belt under the crotch strap... everything simply goes on top. For recreational diving, it's up to you, but I wear under there, as well. It's just one additional buckle in the very unlikely event of a problem.

cool thanks.

so, in your experience, how easy is it to ditch weight with the belt under the harness like that?

Rainer
03-09-2009, 16:29
First, why are you ditching weight?

Second, if you needed to, easy enough.

3rdEye
03-09-2009, 16:36

the deal is, I'm just asking questions to learn stuff, so that I don't go out and strap on my bp&w that I've never dived before, and kill myself because of something that I should have known before I attempted such a thing. so, you're just going to have to humor my dumb questions

:smiley2:

Rainer
03-09-2009, 16:39
Was a serious question. Where and why would you ditch your weights? At the surface? At depth?

Again, in any case, easy enough with this setup.

Rileybri

I like ditching my weaght belt whale still on the bottem at the end of a dive. It makes for a much faster ascent, and that way I get to the cold beer first! :smiley2:

Rainer

I like ditching my weaght belt whale still on the bottem at the end of a dive. It makes for a much faster ascent, and that way I get to the cold beer first! :smiley2:

Just keep one in your pocket. Faster access.

Rileybri
03-09-2009, 16:42

Just keep one in your pocket. Faster access.

keep what in my pocket a weagth belt or a beer??? I would not want the pressure difference from such a rapid ascent to affect the beers carbonation! :smiley31:

3rdEye
03-09-2009, 16:45
Was a serious question. Where and why would you ditch your weights? At the surface? At depth?

oh, I was thinking at depth...in an OOA situation that would require an emergency buoyant ascent...I'm not sure what the DIR take on that is...

Rainer
03-09-2009, 16:48

oh, I was thinking at depth...in an OOA situation that would require an emergency buoyant ascent...I'm not sure what the DIR take on that is...

I cannot fathom a case where I'd ever ditch weights at depth.

In an OOG situation (which is nearly as difficult to fathom), I'd go to my buddy.

I don't plan my dives such that 'bailing for the surface' is an option. It just doesn't scale to bigger/deeper dives.

CompuDude
03-09-2009, 16:59

What Rainer said.

That said, again, open two buckles and it's coming right off.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
03-09-2009, 17:18

Don't go OOA at depth. It's very bad form. It requires multiple mistakes on your part for an emergency buoyant ascent to be a consideration.

RoyN
03-09-2009, 17:29
Most tech divers I know don't have weights because their tanks is already weighted along with the backplate, stage bottle, canister light, and etc. The ones I know that uses a weight belts are the heavy belt guys but even then they carry maybe about 10 lbs or something.

3rdEye
03-09-2009, 17:31

Don't go OOA at depth. It's very bad form. It requires multiple mistakes on your part for an emergency buoyant ascent to be a consideration.

hey man...i'm PADI certified....I haven't gotten to the Avoiding OOA at Depth specialty course yet, so I'm covering my ass

Rainer
03-09-2009, 17:32
Most tech divers I know don't have weights because their tanks is already weighted along with the backplate, stage bottle, canister light, and etc. The ones I know that uses a weight belts are the heavy belt guys but even then they carry maybe about 10 lbs or something.

You realize that as you add more stage bottles you actually have to ADD more weight to your belt, not take it off, correct (assuming for gas needs that they aren't ditchable, and if they are, in that case, they can't help with weighting to start)?

Weighting is primarily a function of undergarment choice. Most guys rocking the 400G will have some weight belt (or v-weight, etc) even with steel doubles and a steel plate.

in_cavediver
03-09-2009, 20:28

hey man...i'm PADI certified....I haven't gotten to the Avoiding OOA at Depth specialty course yet, so I'm covering my ass

Sorry, being a PADI trained diver isn't an excuse. There is one and only one excuse for OOA at depth and that is catastrophic gas loss due to unforseen gear failure. Everything else can and should be preventable irregardless of which agency trained you.

3rdEye
03-09-2009, 20:59

Sorry, being a PADI trained diver isn't an excuse. There is one and only one excuse for OOA at depth and that is catastrophic gas loss due to unforseen gear failure. Everything else can and should be preventable irregardless of which agency trained you.

I'm beginning to wonder if wanting to be a tech diver means having to turn in my sense of humor...

jebus...I had a very simple question about a weight belt....

RoyN
03-09-2009, 21:53
You realize that as you add more stage bottles you actually have to ADD more weight to your belt, not take it off, correct (assuming for gas needs that they aren't ditchable, and if they are, in that case, they can't help with weighting to start)?

Weighting is primarily a function of undergarment choice. Most guys rocking the 400G will have some weight belt (or v-weight, etc) even with steel doubles and a steel plate.

No, I haven't taken the tech course yet so I don't know anything about weights with stage bottles.

Rileybri
03-09-2009, 22:21

I'm beginning to wonder if wanting to be a tech diver means having to turn in my sense of humor...

jebus...I had a very simple question about a weight belt....

Dont worry I was right there with ya! Then again I dont have a tech cert (yet)

Black-Gorrilla
03-09-2009, 22:58

I agree that i'd be nice to have a photo with a weight belt in there as well.

Rainer
03-09-2009, 23:04
Hint: Imagine putting on a weight belt first, then everything you see.

3rdEye
03-09-2009, 23:08
crap...somehow i ended up with this weight belt where my crotch strap should be....this just ain't workin out...I can't do anything without pictures

Rainer
03-09-2009, 23:18
:)

(I still have my sense of humor.)

Black-Gorrilla
03-09-2009, 23:23
crap...somehow i ended up with this weight belt where my crotch strap should be....this just ain't workin out...I can't do anything without pictures
:smiley36:
I needed that. I had a crappy day. Thanks.

CompuDude
03-10-2009, 01:16
Yeesh. Here's an old photo (my avatar shot), from before I started wearing the weightbelt under the crotch strap. Like this, but weight belt under. Or over... your call, really. Got it?

http://h2ogeek.com/KPtech3_IMG_2691-sm.jpg

Rainer
03-10-2009, 02:00
You're going to die.

CompuDude
03-10-2009, 03:38
You're going to die.

Welcome to the party! :smiley20:

3rdEye
03-10-2009, 07:48
Yeesh. Here's an old photo (my avatar shot), from before I started wearing the weightbelt under the crotch strap. Like this, but weight belt under. Or over... your call, really. Got it?

http://h2ogeek.com/KPtech3_IMG_2691-sm.jpg

cool thanks....

and it has to be black right?....or I'll die?

(ok, I'm done now....really)

UCFKnightDiver
03-10-2009, 09:16
naa just has to look cool Rule #6 is important!!!!

in_cavediver
03-10-2009, 16:58
You're going to die.

Yes, but when?